Nitrous on a Type S?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2001, 06:10 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nitrous on a Type S?

Is it doable?

How many parts would need replacing or upgrading?

What size shot?

Wet or dry shot? (What's the difference between wet shot and dry shot?)

How would you set it up?

Seeing how the Type S has the high compression and domed pistons that don't make for good use of a supercharger or turbo, I was thinking, "what about nitrous?"

Anyone here have experience with it or know about it?
Old 02-24-2001, 06:52 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think someone on here NOS'ed up their type-s. Maybe CLPOWER??

\Anyways, I would not recommend this on our HIgh Compression engines.

Remember NOS is like AIDS/HIV for your engine!

------------------
Old 02-24-2001, 06:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jayru:
I think someone on here NOS'ed up their type-s. Maybe CLPOWER??

\Anyways, I would not recommend this on our HIgh Compression engines.

Remember NOS is like AIDS/HIV for your engine!

</font>
Nope, not CLpower, he has a 1st gen.

I believe that TANN has a kit on his TL, and that is really close with cl's. Not really but more then the 1st gens. I think it would be alright, just dont over use it.

------------------
Tw1112
CL 3.0 '98 - Cleared bumper, Hiper/Piaa/Polarg bulbs all around, PIAA 1700x fogs, AEM CAI, V1, and Mugen Pedals.
Old 02-24-2001, 07:05 PM
Old timer

Jayru, I don't get the AIDS/HIV reference, could you explain?

So I take it that nitrous is no different than turbo/supercharger when it comes to the high compression of the Type S engine: it makes for detonation?
Old 02-24-2001, 10:04 PM
Pro

I think all he means is that it's bad for your engine.

A better simile would be that NOS is like methamphetamines for your engine, the addiction component paralleled by the compulsion to squeeze frequently.

------------------
051/LP/SR/LD/HH

[This message has been edited by DtEW (edited 02-24-2001).]
Old 02-24-2001, 10:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DtEW:
I think all he means is that it's bad for your engine.

A better simile would be that NOS is like methamphetamines for your engine, the addiction component paralleled by the compulsion to squeeze frequently.

</font>
exactally however i think there is not the same detonation factor with nitrous as with forced induction i think someone went over this before dont remeber who but i think its not the same

------------------
'01 3.2 CL typeS
satin silver metalic
Llumar platinum plus
tint 20% all around

-----------------
'98 ACCORD V-6 sedan
16" coupe wheels
215/55/16 nitto's
20% smoke titanium
black chrome kit
Old 02-25-2001, 12:07 AM
Old timer

So if it's done with care and the shot isn't more than 50-75hp it probably would be okay?
What parts would need upgrading? Fuel pump? Spark plugs? Intake/exhaust?
Old 02-25-2001, 02:46 AM
Sold 12/29/04 :-(

I had an Integra GS-R before this & I was spraying a 60 shot for almost four years & not one problem. If you do your research & don't over do it with the juice, you would have many years of care free winning.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JRock:
Is it doable?

What size shot?

How would you set it up?

Seeing how the Type S has the high compression and domed pistons that don't make for good use of a supercharger or turbo, I was thinking, "what about nitrous?"

</font>
------------------
White Type-S, Tan interior, Stock for now.

[This message has been edited by SFLA_Type-S (edited 02-25-2001).]
Old 02-25-2001, 03:03 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
like any upgrade it must be installed using only high quality parts and equipment.Having a knowledgable mechanic do it is advisable unless you have done it yourself or are competent with this sort of work.Be advised many dealers frown upon Nitrous Oxide and may give you a hard time if you bring the car in for service.Although they should not void your warranty (many will threaten to) they can elect to not provide warranty service if they feel the nitrous was the cause of your car's problems.If you do not overdo it and make certain that the engine has both the fuel side of the system and the electronic side of it well under control it should work well.As a mechanic of many years I advise against it only based on what I have personally seen go wrong with these Nitrous systems i.e. stuck valves ultra lean mixtures blown or melted pistons and races lost because you flat ran out of happy gas.Personally I prefer superchargers turbochargers as once these are setup they are mostly maintenance free and do not require costly refills.Jens

------------------
1992 mazda Miata lowered with Eibach springs KYB AGX adjustable struts Sparco racing buckets 4 point safety harnesses Momo steering wheel lo profile headlite system with PIAA superwhite bulbs Custom audio system Custom gauges Jackson racing supercharger with header and Greddy cat back exhaust and a ton of other stuff 2000 Honda Civic on APEX coilovers Full Alpine Audio system factory fogs with Piaa bulbs Catz ZETA headlamp system tinted custom taillites and on and on
Old 02-25-2001, 06:09 PM
Old timer

Thanks for the info and opinion!
Old 02-25-2001, 08:20 PM
Advanced

you will need to change the plugs and have a way to check air fuel ratio (autotap) if the ratio is correct, your biggest problem will be $ for n20.

------------------
type-s
silver/ebony
35% tint
jl audio 2 10w3's, jl audio 500/1 amp
Old 02-26-2001, 12:47 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
you would need to change your plugs, thats about it, i think you could run a 75 shot w/ no problem, i'm actually gonna be upgrading to a 100shot for those important days.
Old 02-26-2001, 12:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
What monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday, friday, saturday and sunday?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CLpower:
i'm actually gonna be upgrading to a 100shot for those important days. </font>

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Comptech:Headers, Springs & Sways
Muds
Wheel locks
35% Llumar metallic tint
My Car
Old 02-26-2001, 04:36 AM
Intermediate

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JRock:
Is it doable?

What size shot?

How would you set it up?

</font>
Of course it is "doable". There is a great saying. "If you have the money, you can do anything you want."

As for the amount of parts, it depends on what you want out of the system.

Size; hwo much power do you want.

Let me get back to you on differnce on wet and dry.

As for setup, I would suggest naturally aspirate it. Forget NOS and the rest. Making power form the engine is the real test. Any idiot can add NOS or a supercharger/turbo. Trying to get all your power out of the engine shows you know what you're doing. (My 2 cents)
Old 02-26-2001, 04:30 PM
Learn to swim.

I agree with Turbo about NOS, kinda like steroids---any lamer can buy a bottle and be the big man for a while, until they run out. Then they've got no hair, shrunken nuts, and b!tch tits. I don't share the same adversion for super-chargers but I think NOS is for girls and dentists. IMO
Although Turbo, if you don't appreciate SC's or Turbos why is you sn "Turbo OX"?

[This message has been edited by aeon (edited 02-26-2001).]
Old 02-26-2001, 07:37 PM
Old timer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Trying to get all your power out of the engine shows you know what you're doing. (My 2 cents)
</font>
Yeah that's great if you've got loads of money and can live without a car while the engine's being pulled, blueprinted, and worked on.

Now for someone who only has one car and wants a nice speed boost when it's needed...

Plus the fact that there AREN'T any SuperCs or turbos available for the Type S yet...

That's what led me to ask about Nitrous.

And the "being without a car" is also the reason I wouldn't want to do something that could harm the engine: I want as little downtime as possible and as little chance of harming the engine as possible.

[This message has been edited by JRock (edited 02-26-2001).]
Old 02-26-2001, 08:48 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike:
What monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday, friday, saturday and sunday?

</font>
Old 02-26-2001, 08:58 PM
Instructor

I don't know about NOS, it can eat the engine. But you are right, without a turbo or supercharger planned, there is not much else out there past those damn expensive headers, CAI, V-AFC, and exhaust.

** Hopefully with the coming of the TL Type S, the engine will get enough play from our major performance houses!

------------------
Hollywood is back, and so is...

Miss "Jackie Black" Black on Black 2001 CLS
Tint | airbox gutted - waiting for AEM CAI| resonator replaced by straightpipe | 12" JL Audio sub
PIAA 19170s | spoiler

14.6185 at 96.09mph 1/4 mile - Take that Car&Driver!!
Old 02-26-2001, 09:29 PM

Hey CLPower!

Are you spraying your car yet? Or do you have plans to spray? Do you think the tranny can handle it?

------------------
Old 02-27-2001, 12:43 PM
teh Senior Instigator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SFLA_Type-S:
Hey CLPower!

Are you spraying your car yet? Or do you have plans to spray? Do you think the tranny can handle it?

</font>
spraying already, the tranny is fine. It's alot stronger the people give it credit for. I'm adding an extra tranny cooler to be safe though. I did already lose one tranny, but i think it was doomed from the startq
Old 02-27-2001, 01:10 PM
magnet

im planning to spray nos on my cl-s, now that i have more fuel with my regulator, the only thingyou should worry about isnt the engine cuz it can handle it, but the tranny thats the only thing im worried about. i plan to spray a 60 shot,wet system. clpower i hope your tranny doesnt start slippin cuz thats what happened to my old accord i was sprayin 80 and like in 4 -5 months major slippage

------------------
2001 cl type s,custom voltage blue paint job, comptech headers, 18 inch ssr agle strusse rims, greddy evo exhaust, cross drilled rotors, pioneer avx 7000 tv, playstation2, iceman cold air intake(custom)nos fuel pressure regulator, slammed on nex suspension

my old car www.hondatech.org/99acv6ic.html
my cl-s
Old 02-27-2001, 01:45 PM
fastest time 13.4@107 !!!

hey clpower, what shot do you have? i really want to do it and i get close to buy nos and then i hear a story about it destroying some ones engin. i have gone threw a tranny already and it wasn't fun. i was thinking about a 50shot to shut up those CL-S owners.i'm close to beating them now but i want to kick there ass. dont get me wrong i like the typeS but the owners are was to cockey. anyway let me know how you trans holds up.
Old 02-27-2001, 02:02 PM
teh Senior Instigator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fastvtecCL:
hey clpower, what shot do you have? i really want to do it and i get close to buy nos and then i hear a story about it destroying some ones engin. i have gone threw a tranny already and it wasn't fun. i was thinking about a 50shot to shut up those CL-S owners.i'm close to beating them now but i want to kick there ass. dont get me wrong i like the typeS but the owners are was to cockey. anyway let me know how you trans holds up.</font>
i have a 50 shot now, i raced mike w/ his type S and headers, and it was fairly close, he would start to pull in 3rd. But my car is basically stock and you should destroy them. How your tranny blow? Mine did too
Old 02-27-2001, 02:12 PM
fastest time 13.4@107 !!!

i dont know why the tranny blow the acura dealer said they dont know what happen either,it was so fucked up i had to put in reverse to go foward. anyway about the NOS should i do it or not??? i just got my AEM pullies and now i have 190hp to the wheels next is either custom cut vtec cam or nos i'm not sure yet.
Old 02-28-2001, 12:17 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CLpower:
spraying already, the tranny is fine. It's alot stronger the people give it credit for. I'm adding an extra tranny cooler to be safe though. I did already lose one tranny, but i think it was doomed from the startq</font>
You say you already lost one tranny? Was it on another car or was it the CL-S? How much are you spraying now? Have you been to the track? If, so what kinda numbers are you getting? Let me know where you get the tranny cooler from.

------------------
Old 02-28-2001, 02:47 AM
teh Senior Instigator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SFLA_Type-S:
You say you already lost one tranny? Was it on another car or was it the CL-S? How much are you spraying now? Have you been to the track? If, so what kinda numbers are you getting? Let me know where you get the tranny cooler from.

</font>
i don't have a type S, i have a 99 3.0...i ran against mike who has headers, we were pretty even most of the time to about 70
Old 02-28-2001, 05:56 AM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fastvtecCL:
[B] i was thinking about a 50shot to shut up those CL-S owners.i'm close to beating them now but i want to kick there ass. dont get me wrong i like the typeS but the owners are was to cockey. [B]</font>

Brave soul :>

------------------
Hollywood is back, and so is...

Miss "Jackie Black" Black on Black 2001 CLS
Tint | airbox gutted - waiting for AEM CAI| resonator replaced by straightpipe | 12" JL Audio sub
PIAA 19170s | spoiler

14.6185 at 96.09mph 1/4 mile - Take that Car&Driver!!