The next 2004 S4...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 10:57 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The next 2004 S4...

Maybe be it's getting a V8 with 340 HP or Bi-tubo 3.0 V6 with 360 HP, asside from that it woudl be of course 4WD.

Anyone knows of good site that will have some decent info?
Old 01-21-2002, 11:02 AM
Retired Post Whore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its going to be a 4 cylinder with 100 horse power.
Old 01-21-2002, 11:04 AM
Old timer

OMG AND LIEK THE 2027 CL TYPE R IS GONNA HAVE LIEK 500HP FROM A V10 AND AWD AND RWD!!!1
Old 01-21-2002, 11:07 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
well this has been posted a few times here... along with some pics.

i would say it definately is getting the V8 since BMW is now going to release a V8 M3.

None of the Audi sites really have any decent info on this thing, or even on the new A4. The Audi/VW boards have been crazy slow lately
Old 01-21-2002, 11:10 AM
6 speed...

Originally posted by JRock
OMG AND LIEK THE 2027 CL TYPE R IS GONNA HAVE LIEK 500HP FROM A V10 AND AWD AND RWD!!!1
lol!
Old 01-21-2002, 11:19 AM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Wasn't it this months Automobile magazine that said the S4 is coming in a V8 with 340HP and in a sedan, wagon and coupe form. . . I figured they'd make the coupe since they are now making a convertible. . . Hopefully it's true. . .
Old 01-21-2002, 11:22 AM
The Creator

If they make an S4 coupe with a decent nav for under 45k... I will be all but forced to get one.
Old 01-21-2002, 12:38 PM
The Creator

knew I saw it somewhere...

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...threadid=53064
Old 01-21-2002, 03:38 PM
Suzuka Master

I'd still take a silver M5
Old 01-21-2002, 03:50 PM
The Creator

Originally posted by KCPreki11
I'd still take a silver M5
and im sure theyd gladly take the extra 40 grand your shelling out for it too
Old 01-21-2002, 03:54 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

M5 is $70k+ S4 should start below $40k!

I am still hoping the next S4 will get a real SMG and a real NAV....
Then I would be glad to let my CLS go....
Old 01-21-2002, 10:28 PM
Who's Your Daddy

2004 S4 is the next car for me if Acura dont come up w/ something worth competing with...:thumbsdn:
Old 01-22-2002, 12:36 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The next S4 is for sure getting the same V8 that the S6 gets. It will make 340HP out of 4.2 liters. Engine worked by Cossworth that Audi bought from Ford (I cant believe those Ford losers selling that company to Audi, but anyway).

The price has been rumored at 56.500 Euros which is almost 50K American dollars. Prices in England are always higher though so I would say 45K here. It is expected to be at least as fast as the M3 on the straight line if not a tick faster.

There will be an even faster RS4 version in Europe. Dont know if it will come here though.

Here are some spy photos:

Old 01-22-2002, 02:10 AM
Suzuka Master

is it me or do styling trends stay the same for like 20 years?
Old 01-22-2002, 08:32 AM
Old timer

The next S4 is for sure getting the same V8 that the S6 gets.
That would make no sense unless one is N/A and one is turbo'd. Otherwise you'd have nearly identical cars with the same engine. Who would bother buying an S6?

(We all know the A4 and A6 are nearly the same size ... hell we confuse them on a regular basis on the road. The only 4/6/8 Audis you can tell apart are the A4 and the A8 because there's actually enough size difference there to be able to differentiate them.)

Point being I highly doubt they will give them the same engines.
Old 01-22-2002, 08:45 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Gabrial,

Do you know if it is gona have a SMG and a real NAV?
Old 01-22-2002, 08:47 AM
6 speed...

not that hard to believe: they've already done it with the current s4 and a6 2.7t...
Old 01-22-2002, 09:43 AM
The Creator

the A4 is crazy smaller then an A6, whatchu talkin bout willis??

go sit in the two... an A4 feels about the size of a Jetta inside, whereas the A6 feels larger then the TL inside.

big diff.
Old 01-22-2002, 01:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
There are no confirmed reports on the next generation S4. Rumors have been flying around about both a turbocharged 6 and a v8. No one knows. The pictures that have surfaced have also not been confirmed. My guess is Audi is still decided on which powerplant to go with. Ideally, a turbocharged 6 would be better as it would be easier to modify. Audi, however, may try to avoid the same porblems they had with earlier S4's (the pre 2000 S4's had a lot of blown turbos). I have heard as much as having both engines available as options to the buyers. It will be interesting to see what they do. I kinda hope they go the V8 route, possibly keeping the value of mine higher, as people may go the used route to find a turbo car. We'll just have to wait and see.
Old 01-22-2002, 05:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

That would make no sense unless one is N/A and one is turbo'd. Otherwise you'd have nearly identical cars with the same engine. Who would bother buying an S6?

(We all know the A4 and A6 are nearly the same size ... hell we confuse them on a regular basis on the road. The only 4/6/8 Audis you can tell apart are the A4 and the A8 because there's actually enough size difference there to be able to differentiate them.)

Actually the fact that the engine for the S4 is rated at 340HP when the one for the S6 is rated at 360Hp makes it even more realistic. I just do not see how the use of the same (or a slightly detuned version of an) engine can make 2 vehicles identical when they do not belong to the same class.

It is like saying why is the CL and TL getting the same J32A engine. I know that the A4 and the A6 get 4 doors and the CL and TL do not but still...
Old 01-22-2002, 05:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
Gabrial,

Do you know if it is gona have a SMG and a real NAV?
No SMG and yes a real NAV.
Old 01-22-2002, 05:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by 2001AudiS4
There are no confirmed reports on the next generation S4. Rumors have been flying around about both a turbocharged 6 and a v8. No one knows. The pictures that have surfaced have also not been confirmed. My guess is Audi is still decided on which powerplant to go with. Ideally, a turbocharged 6 would be better as it would be easier to modify. Audi, however, may try to avoid the same porblems they had with earlier S4's (the pre 2000 S4's had a lot of blown turbos). I have heard as much as having both engines available as options to the buyers. It will be interesting to see what they do. I kinda hope they go the V8 route, possibly keeping the value of mine higher, as people may go the used route to find a turbo car. We'll just have to wait and see.
Not to sound negative but my source is very good.
Old 01-22-2002, 05:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by gavriil

Not to sound negative but my source is very good.
If you don't mind my asking, what are your sources. I am not saying that you are wrong, but that everything I have heard is unconfirmed and I do a lot of reading up considering I want to know what proceeds my car.
Old 01-22-2002, 05:43 PM
Banned

That ass looks to high, Audi should drop it down a few inches...
Old 01-22-2002, 08:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

If you don't mind my asking, what are your sources. I am not saying that you are wrong, but that everything I have heard is unconfirmed and I do a lot of reading up considering I want to know what proceeds my car.
Here you go:
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/gavriil...e.php3?id=1355

Bigger is better as far as go-faster Audis are concerned. The German firm is putting the finishing touches to an exciting replacement for its high-performance S4, which will ditch its turbo engine in favour of a walloping V8 powerhouse. The secret model, being primed with quattro GmbH and Cosworth, should arrive this time next year.
While BMW and Mercedes are packing their top-end machinery with six-cylinder hardware, the next S4 will offer superior refinement, effortless power delivery and, of course, the advantage of that four-wheel-drive system. Power is supplied by a derivative of the forthcoming 3.7-litre W8 engine which is likely to produce 320bhp. However, it has also been earmarked for the revised Passat, set for launch in 2001. Four-wheel-drive will again be a selling point. While Mercedes and BMW both send power to the rear wheels, Audi engineers see the quattro's traction, security and driveability as key dynamic advantages, while the marketing department feels it is a strong incentive for tempting customers.

Unlike today's model, there will be the choice of an automatic five-speed Tiptronic gearbox in place of the standard six-speed manual unit. Meanwhile, its newly designed aluminium suspension will ensure that the S4 is a major advance over its predecessor when it comes to handling and ride comfort.
Old 01-23-2002, 06:14 AM
Suzuka Master

[B]

Here you go:
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/gavriil...e.php3?id=1355
That's it? That article refers to European cars only and there is no mention of the next S4. It is also more than a year old. Where did you really get your info from?
Old 01-25-2002, 10:21 AM
Moderator Alumnus

That's it? That article refers to European cars only and there is no mention of the next S4. It is also more than a year old. Where did you really get your info from?
Are you kidding me now?

The article reads:

"The German firm is putting the finishing touches to an exciting replacement for its high-performance S4, which will ditch its turbo engine in favour of a walloping V8 powerhouse"

And you are telling me:

"...and there is no mention of the next S4."

How much clearer do you want it to be?

Also about:

"That article refers to European cars only..."

Are you saying that this mentioned car in this article will be the version for Europe and that the USA will get a different version? Cos I doubt that. There were very slight differences between the S4s we got here compared to the European models (referring to the current S4).

Why do you doubt obvious things?
Old 01-25-2002, 10:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Are you kidding me now?

The article reads:

"The German firm is putting the finishing touches to an exciting replacement for its high-performance S4, which will ditch its turbo engine in favour of a walloping V8 powerhouse"

And you are telling me:

"...and there is no mention of the next S4."

How much clearer do you want it to be?

Also about:

"That article refers to European cars only..."

Are you saying that this mentioned car in this article will be the version for Europe and that the USA will get a different version? Cos I doubt that. There were very slight differences between the S4s we got here compared to the European models (referring to the current S4).

Why do you doubt obvious things?
I think you take WAY TO MUCH pride in your "internet knowledge". The now previous S4, as they are not being produced anymore, IS different in Europe and the States. Both the interior and performance is different. European models get a 15 horsepower advantage for one. Two, THAT article is a year and a half old, I wouldn't take ANYTHING seriously in it. Nothing is obvious about it. Fact of the matter is, there has been NO confirmation on what the next S4 will have under the hood. It MAY have a V8 and it MAY have a v6 twin turbo. No one knows yet and anything you hear that you THINK is definite is nothing more than speculation. If you want to continue to think that it will definitely have a V8, then that is fine by me. I don't care what you believe, it makes no difference to me. But DO NOT sit there behind you computer trying to dictate false facts and try to belittle me or anyone else for stating there are no definite facts to report. Did I clear this up, or do YOU doubt obvious things?
Old 01-27-2002, 10:43 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I think you take WAY TO MUCH pride in your "internet knowledge".
I really dont know what that means. Too much pride in my internet knowledge? The so called internet knowledge is on the internet for eveyone to see. It is not mine. I merely refer to it.

The now previous S4, as they are not being produced anymore, IS different in Europe and the States. Both the interior and performance is different. European models get a 15 horsepower advantage for one.
That is all correct and that is why I stated that there were small differences between the cars. But not major differences like a different engine. That is what you implied by stating that the article refers to the European car or cars. At least that is what I thought. Maybe you want to elaborate on that.

Two, THAT article is a year and a half old, I wouldn't take ANYTHING seriously in it.
Where do you see that article being a year and a half old? Show us. Cos I say it is 4 weeks old at the most.

Nothing is obvious about it. Fact of the matter is, there has been NO confirmation on what the next S4 will have under the hood. It MAY have a V8 and it MAY have a v6 twin turbo. No one knows yet and anything you hear that you THINK is definite is nothing more than speculation.
Hey no one said that Audi confirmed anything. To protect your arguments you go and argue obvious things now. We all know that there is this thing called automotive press which comes out with news about future models way before manufacturers confirm that. Most of the times they are right. Autoweek confirmed out CLS is getting a 6 speed 9 months ago. I know I am not saying anything new to you but you sound to deny basic facts.

That is all I said. There is autoexpress out there which is super reliable coming out 1 month ago with spy photos confirming that the S4 is getting a V8, etc.

If you want to continue to think that it will definitely have a V8, then that is fine by me. I don't care what you believe, it makes no difference to me.
From all that you wrote and its quantity, sounds to that it does.

Oh and by the way, I did not state what I think about what the S4 will get. It is autoexpress and as far as I follow these guys they have NEVER beign wrong about rumors. So I guess it is between you and them. I wonder who people will believe.

But DO NOT sit there behind you computer trying to dictate false facts and try to belittle me or anyone else for stating there are no definite facts to report.
I am dictaing false facts? Haha...

You are belittling yourself with all this. I have autoexpress to back up my claims. Who do you got? Audi? Because they have not confirmed anythign yet? Wow! What a claim!

Did I clear this up, or do YOU doubt obvious things?
I will leave this as a copycat quote and just ask you this: Are all S4 owners complexic like you or are you a special case? Just because someone, from the poor CL board, has more info than you, a current S4 owner, about the next S4, you call them a dictator of false facts? Nice reaction.

Or are you pissed because the next S4 will be kicking your car's ass big time in all respects? Come on, confess S4.
Old 01-27-2002, 11:11 AM
Suzuka Master

If I WERE a dick, I would say that the current S4 would kick a CL-S's ass, but I won't cause I like and respect every aspect of the CL-s and TL-s. It is indeed a fine automobile. You said what the next gen car WILL have. You did not say it is speculation, you merely said it WILL have a V8 and that is final. Therefore, you statement is incorrect. You then continue to bash me for merely pointing out that there is no confirmation of the next Gen S4's info. Futhermore, I DID NOT see anything in that article that you linked even mentioning the S4 in any way. Maybe you linked the wrong article and there is another one discussing it. I don't know, but I did not see anything in the article you linked. As far as the date, at the top of the article you can see where it says
A4 Starts With A Clean Sheet 0:22 20.10.00

I take that to mean October 20th, 2000. I could be wrong of course. The article does say that the NEW A4 is to hit the road NEXT spring. That doesn't sound like an article written only a month ago. You claim that MY knowledge on the next car is minimal at best, but I seem to know that nothing has been confirmed. If you know more about the next gen S4 than me even though I have an S4, then congratulations. I really don't care much. I was merely pointing out to the other members on this board that there is no confirmed report. If I am wrong about this, then every single S4 owner on every single forum is wrong too. Feel free to go to Audiworld or Audizine and ask them. They will be more than happy to answer any of your questions. By the way, won't the next gen CL-S with the 6-speed kick you ass?
Old 01-27-2002, 11:29 AM
Moderator Alumnus

If I WERE a dick, I would say that the current S4 would kick a CL-S's ass, but I won't cause I like and respect every aspect of the CL-s and TL-s. It is indeed a fine automobile. You said what the next gen car WILL have. You did not say it is speculation, you merely said it WILL have a V8 and that is final. Therefore, you statement is incorrect. You then continue to bash me for merely pointing out that there is no confirmation of the next Gen S4's info. Futhermore, I DID NOT see anything in that article that you linked even mentioning the S4 in any way. Maybe you linked the wrong article and there is another one discussing it. I don't know, but I did not see anything in the article you linked. As far as the date, at the top of the article you can see where it says
A4 Starts With A Clean Sheet 0:22 20.10.00

I take that to mean October 20th, 2000. I could be wrong of course. The article does say that the NEW A4 is to hit the road NEXT spring. That doesn't sound like an article written only a month ago. You claim that MY knowledge on the next car is minimal at best, but I seem to know that nothing has been confirmed. If you know more about the next gen S4 than me even though I have an S4, then congratulations. I really don't care much. I was merely pointing out to the other members on this board that there is no confirmed report. If I am wrong about this, then every single S4 owner on every single forum is wrong too. Feel free to go to Audiworld or Audizine and ask them. They will be more than happy to answer any of your questions. By the way, won't the next gen CL-S with the 6-speed kick you ass?
Time out! I found out why you are confused.

ALTHOUGH I DID POST THE RIGHT TEXT OF THE ARTICLE, I POSTED THE WRONG URL. SORRY ABOUT THAT BUT STILL, I ALSO POSTED THE TEXT, I THOUGHT YOU COULD NOT MISS THAT ONE.

Here is the URL buddy:
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/gavriil...e.php3?id=1500

For whatever it is worth, I did not read your above post in full. I got to catch a plane soon. Later.
Old 01-27-2002, 12:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Ok, now that makes a lot more sense now. I see where you got your info from now. The Cosworth engine has long been rumored as the next platfrom. But it stopped at rumors to my knowledge. The only thing we can definitely do is just wait and see what the next car will have. Either way, it will be fast and should be able to compete or beat the current BMW M3. That is until BWM decides to redo their car. It never ends.
Old 01-27-2002, 06:37 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Ok, now that makes a lot more sense now. I see where you got your info from now. The Cosworth engine has long been rumored as the next platfrom. But it stopped at rumors to my knowledge. The only thing we can definitely do is just wait and see what the next car will have. Either way, it will be fast and should be able to compete or beat the current BMW M3. That is until BWM decides to redo their car. It never ends.
Now we have an understanding

I would love to see the new S4 kick some major M3 ass actually. I hope they keep the price lower than that of the M3's. And I hope there is less price gauging than there was and there sill is with the M3. I hate that.
Old 01-27-2002, 09:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I just read that Walter de´ Silva will be the design head for Audi and Lamborghini. Wow! I think that this is major. I dont know if you know this guy but he head a tremendously successfull time at Alfa Romeo and then 2 great years at Seat. So now he is given all 3 VW sub-brands. Watch for great Audi designs starting 2-3 years from now.