New Tranny going in.........

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2001, 12:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Tranny going in.........

Well the car is at Park ave having the trans replaced..... Looks like it will be ready today or tomorrow if all goes good.

Still love the car even though Acura has had some apparent assembly and quality control issues. The shame of the matter is that I'm going to now hold off on any new mods until next year to see what happens with this trans. If this one goes... so does the car....

A special thanks goes out to Wayne from Park ave. for locating a replacement trans in a timely fashion. From what I'm told it can take a month or so to get a replacement trans because of the demand.

I guess I'll have to update the sig file.... Dead trans @ 14,000 miles
Old 08-20-2001, 12:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Did the tranny just give-out on you, or were you having problems with it earlier?
Old 08-20-2001, 12:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 699 Likes on 541 Posts
Did you drive your car hard ( testing 0-60, torque braking, driving in very high RPMs )?
Old 08-20-2001, 12:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Trans just started to slip.....

No I don't beat it or take it to the track.... Just street / highway driving with some fast take off's every now and then. I drive it 100+ miles daily to work.
Old 08-20-2001, 12:31 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Steve- does that mean you want me to take off the Brembos and wheels?
Old 08-20-2001, 12:40 PM
Firestarter

Hey Steve!
sucks to hear about the tranny. I have been paying close attention to my car as well trying to look for abnormalities. I'm getting my rotors taken car of at Park ave tomorrow.
It's too bad to hear about these problems. I know that every brand has problems, but after putting all the effort into picking a car, I'm a bit dissapointed that Acuras are giving us these headaches. I admit that my cheesy 94 Grand Am with 100K+ never had tranny or rotor problems. I just went through a ton of brake pads and some tires. But driving 80+ miles everyday, I guess that is expected. don't mean to bitch, but I hope acura gets their act together. ok...bitch mode has been turned off.
take care dude.

see ya tomorrow, wayne!
Old 08-20-2001, 12:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yikes, this week end my car turned 15k sooooo it was off to the Honda store to buy a case of trans oil. I did the flush method, drain then after running; filled. Drain again then (ran) filled, drained a final time then filled. The cost of was eight qts was $50.00, did the labor myself.

Wayne; Can Acura tell us what the failure mechanisms on these failed transmissions ??
I'm in the Areospace reliability engineering field and I know; They know what exactly is failing, they don't tell customers but dealers might have a source for this info.
If I know what is failing I can adjust my maintenance schedule or should I just keep flushing the trans oil at every 15k. Somehow I doubt this will keep the failures from happening.

[ 08-20-2001: Message edited by: fender4 ]
Old 08-20-2001, 12:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by wayneg:
<STRONG>Steve- does that mean you want me to take off the Brembos and wheels? </STRONG>
Nah ya can just leave them on to save ya the trouble. A comp brembo kit would make me realy smile
Old 08-20-2001, 04:05 PM
Rod
Drifting

Originally posted by CL-SPS:
<STRONG>...I'm going to now hold off on any new mods until next year to see what happens with this trans...</STRONG>
Same here, I'm going to wait a while and see how my second tranny holds up first. It doesn't feel quite right to me, but maybe it's just me. Regardless, I doubt I'll keep the car after the warranty expires. I love the car and all, but I would hate for the tranny to give out again and not have a warranty to count on. The problem is, as of now, there's no other car I'd really consider in the CL-S's price range, except for an IS300 which is a little more.

BTW, what's your car's date of manufacture?
Old 08-20-2001, 05:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Car was manufactured in Nov 00.....

I'm picking it up now, I'll let ya know how she feels....
Old 08-20-2001, 05:52 PM
Advanced

I had my tranny replaced at 24k, and now i have about 5k on the new one, and it is starting to shift very hard again and at times will get stuck in gears..I don't drive the car that hard, no racing or anything, every now and then a fast take off but nothing that should cause this..let me just say there is no way I will keep this car over 50k, out of all the honda products i have ever owned, and this is number 4, this car has been the worst!!! My car has already been in the shop for a total of 17 days dealing with this tranny, so maybe it will go again...and then here comes a lemon law!!!I don't mean to put down our car, but Acura made a few mistakes when it came to our tranny!
Old 08-20-2001, 06:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

For those who had a new tranny installed; What's the warranty? Is it on new tranny or only until 50k with the rest of the car ???
Old 08-20-2001, 06:30 PM
Rod
Drifting

<STRONG>Car was manufactured in Nov 00.....

I'm picking it up now, I'll let ya know how she feels....</STRONG>
Well that's three replaced trannies with a DOM of 11/2000.
Old 08-20-2001, 06:41 PM
Rod
Drifting

Originally posted by ATLCL-S:
<STRONG>I had my tranny replaced at 24k, and now i have about 5k on the new one, and it is starting to shift very hard again and at times will get stuck in gears..I don't drive the car that hard, no racing or anything, every now and then a fast take off but nothing that should cause this..let me just say there is no way I will keep this car over 50k, out of all the honda products i have ever owned, and this is number 4, this car has been the worst!!! My car has already been in the shop for a total of 17 days dealing with this tranny, so maybe it will go again...and then here comes a lemon law!!!I don't mean to put down our car, but Acura made a few mistakes when it came to our tranny!</STRONG>
I only have about 1,500 miles on my new tranny and it's starting to hunt for gears again while simply cruising and feels excessively sluggish, more so than normal. The best thing for me would be to be able to use the lemon law, that way I won't lose money by trading it in and just get a full refund. I also never race nor torque brake and have no mods besides Comptech springs, so I see no reason for the damn tranny to act up, other than poor design by Acura.

Also, I think I need to get my rotors looked at again since I'm getting the same vibration in the steering wheel while braking from about 50 MPH and above. Last time they were just resurfaced, I knew it wouldn't be long before they warped again. This is the second time I'll be going in for my rotors and I only have about 12.5K miles on my car. I guess these are the reasons why the CL-S is the lowest priced car in its class. I love the car, but it's becoming a headache already. I bought a new car so that I hopefully wouldn't have to be going in to the dealer every couple thousand miles for stupid things like this and now I think I would've had less problems if I would've gone with a used Supra TT.
Old 08-21-2001, 11:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

The new tranny is in and so far so good....

Big thank you to Wayne and Park Ave. Acura for the high level of care and service they provide. It is important to have a dealer that you can trust when big things like this happen. I have full confidence in Wayne and his staff and will continue to support team Acura because of it. Thanks again and I hope I don't need to see ya until the next car meet or car mod(springs)
Old 08-21-2001, 12:24 PM
Old timer

My trans has slipped a couple times lately.

When I go in for an oil change later this week I'm going to mention it so it's on the records. I'm going to ask them to flush the tranny fluid and if they refuse I will just say that's fine but put it in writing that you didn't do it when I asked.

What else can I do? Hopefully the slips were just random and not a sign of future problems.

-J
Old 08-21-2001, 01:02 PM
foe
Racer

When i brought the car i noticed teh srs light was on, I had no time to fix it yet, but shouldnt the dealer take care of things like that?
Old 08-21-2001, 01:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by JRock:
<STRONG>My trans has slipped a couple times lately.

When I go in for an oil change later this week I'm going to mention it so it's on the records. I'm going to ask them to flush the tranny fluid and if they refuse I will just say that's fine but put it in writing that you didn't do it when I asked.

What else can I do? Hopefully the slips were just random and not a sign of future problems.

-J</STRONG>
If you have a problem it will get worse.....

Flushing the trans is a good idea.
Old 08-21-2001, 04:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 699 Likes on 541 Posts
This sucks !!! I should have research Honda transmissions better before buying CLS.
I love the look and feel of CLS, but if my transmission brakes then I will be really mad.
I will have to sell my car before it turns 50K miles
Old 08-21-2001, 06:03 PM
Shaka

Sorry to hear about this...

<STRONG>Well the car is at Park ave having the trans replaced..... Looks like it will be ready today or tomorrow if all goes good.

Still love the car even though Acura has had some apparent assembly and quality control issues. The shame of the matter is that I'm going to now hold off on any new mods until next year to see what happens with this trans. If this one goes... so does the car....

A special thanks goes out to Wayne from Park ave. for locating a replacement trans in a timely fashion. From what I'm told it can take a month or so to get a replacement trans because of the demand.

I guess I'll have to update the sig file.... Dead trans @ 14,000 miles </STRONG>
Old 08-21-2001, 06:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by russianDude:
<STRONG>This sucks !!! I should have research Honda transmissions better before buying CLS.
I love the look and feel of CLS, but if my transmission brakes then I will be really mad.
I will have to sell my car before it turns 50K miles</STRONG>
If ya don't have a problem before 50k miles ya trans is most likely fine.... Most people have been less then 20k.