New CL-s 6 speed with Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2021 | 05:06 PM
9th Gear

New CL-s 6 speed with Questions

Hello! I recently acquired my godfathers 2003 CL-S 6 speed which he bought new in 2002. It has 190K miles on it, but is still going strong. I'm pretty exited to own this car because all my other vehicles have been base models with crank windows/manual locks etc, and this has power EVERYTHING. I'm not new to wrenching, and I have a few questions I'm hoping you guys can answer!

1: My exhaust is rotting away at the flanges, I'm looking to replace the whole thing. I'm looking at XS Power stainless headers/down pipe, Stock CL-S Cat and resonator pipe, and (here's the question) These mufflers: https://www.cntracing.com/products/t...SABEgLCqfD_BwE
I know they are for a TL, but they appear with some hanger modifications that they will fit. Anyone know if thats true? Other suggestions for exhaust welcome!

2: My rear control arms on the driver side has VERY slight play in it, they are just starting to go. I read somewhere that aftermarket ones use rubber bushings and genuine honda ones have a moveable bearing/bushing design...is this true? OEM is way more expensive than MOOG.

3: My passenger side window "dew wipe" weatherstripping that contacts the glass as it goes up and down is destroyed. I found the whole trim piece online, but i was wondering i could just replace the rubber part, and if so how do i remove that polished piece of trim.

I have some smaller questions but I wont overwhelm you guys all at once with them!
Thanks
-Phil

Old 02-06-2021 | 07:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by phillyfresh
1: My exhaust is rotting away at the flanges, I'm looking to replace the whole thing. I'm looking at XS Power stainless headers/down pipe, Stock CL-S Cat and resonator pipe, and (here's the question) These mufflers: https://www.cntracing.com/products/t...SABEgLCqfD_BwE
I know they are for a TL, but they appear with some hanger modifications that they will fit. Anyone know if thats true? Other suggestions for exhaust welcome!
Though I'm not sure, If you gamble on these they may fit at the flanges; however, the tips may also protrude out from the rear bumper rather than be flush.
A good muffler shop would probably be able to modify them for proper fitment.
Here's a cheap 'stock' option one forum member recommended recently. If you go this route, make sure to get the ones for a Type-S.
03 2003 Acura CL Muffler - Exhaust - API, Bosal, Walker, Center, Left, Rear Left, Rear Right, Right - PartsGeek

2: My rear control arms on the driver side has VERY slight play in it, they are just starting to go. I read somewhere that aftermarket ones use rubber bushings and genuine honda ones have a moveable bearing/bushing design...is this true? OEM is way more expensive than MOOG.
Use the vendor link below to get a visual on the control arms you need then compare them to the aftermarket ones on RockAuto.com to save some $$.
Rear Lower Arm for 2003 Acura CL COUPE | Acura OEM Parts
I had Moog bushings pressed into my front LCA's, years ago, because they cracked in under 12 months I had to replace them using KYB.
IIRC'ly, KYB are closest to OEM quality I could find.

3: My passenger side window "dew wipe" weatherstripping that contacts the glass as it goes up and down is destroyed. I found the whole trim piece online, but i was wondering i could just replace the rubber part, and if so how do i remove that polished piece of trim.
Bump the thread below and ask the OP for the password to the free Service Manual download he generously offers. You will find the instructions you need to replace the upper outer dew wipe weather stripping.
Acura TL and CL Service Manual - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Good Luck!

Old 02-07-2021 | 08:26 AM
Racer

It's likely they will fit, but you may have to make some modification for the tip to align correctly. I'm guessing; however, that you're going to run into the same issue I had where there was holes starting to form in the center pipe from the cat. converter too. Might want to look at this: medalion-touring-exhaust

I've taken the control arms out on the rear and all the supporting rods. I didn't notice a bearing/bushing design, but if you're worried these are all still available from Acura. I replaced mine with A/C Delco Professional series and haven't noticed any performance issues or bushing strain. It does make a difference if you install them incorrectly. Common problem is people torque down the bolts with the car in the air. That's incorrect; the bolts should be torqued with the full weight of the car on the part so the bushing doesn't strain and sit flexed.

From a quick search of the parts catalog it looks like they are one piece. You could always try and worse case buy new.

Old 02-07-2021 | 01:04 PM
9th Gear

Thank you both for the responses! I'll try to combine my thoughts instead of reply individually

I have a welder and dont mind modifying the exhaust some, just as long as I can keep them to a minimum. I plan on buying a new stock style cat, and (from acura) "b-pipe" or whatever the main pipe with the resonator is called. I'm hoping it will all bolt to the headers/downpipe, I sent them an email to check. I know i will have to upsize from the b-pipe to the mufflers, as they are pretty small, and the mufflers inlet is around 2.5". The Medalion exhaust looks nice, but with everything else its a bit out of my budget unfortunately. I'm really just looking for a little better sound out of the exhaust, not too loud. And the parts I've found end up being cheaper than going factory Acura, so win win I'd say.

I love rockauto, and that's good to know about the control arms from someone who has had them off! I'll be sure to install them with the suspension loaded.

Zeta Thanks for the tip on the manual, I just downloaded it.
Acura2g558- I found a used belt molding and new, so I'll have to decide if new is worth the extra cost. Thanks!