New brake pads or wheel bearing problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 12:58 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New brake pads or wheel bearing problem?

Lately my car is making weird noises when just normally driving the car. It sounds like metal grinding against metal. The sound comes and goes and it happens driving at any speeds. Most of the time it's triggered by a bump on the road or when turning.

I also tested to see if it was a wheel bearing problem by lifting the car and checking to see if the tires wiggle but they don't. But I did try another test another member suggested and it was to make quick left/right turns to see which side the noise is coming from to check for bearing problems. The noise happens when I make quick left turns so that confirms it could be the front or rear passenger side wheel bearing problem.

Now in the morning when I reverse out of my garage, it makes this loud grinding noise....with or without applying the brakes. At first I thought it was from the front right of the car until I got someone to listen from the outside and he confirmed it's the rear passenger side tire.

With that info, is it time for new rear brake pads or is it a wheel bearing problem?
Old 04-29-2006, 01:27 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
weird. I get the exact same noise, and it sounds like it's coming from the front too, I'll have to listen from the outside sometime. If you ever figure it out please let me know.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:14 AM
Acura loyal for 93mo/109k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a CV joint. Check the CV boot first to see if it's greased and not damaged or torn.
Old 04-29-2006, 01:33 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I took my car to Honda and couldn't get the noise to happen. But the rear brakes are pretty low....like less than 10% so I'm getting that replaced and hoping the noise was from the brake indicator.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:05 AM
Drifting

I know this is an old thread.....

I just noticed that when i turn left my car makes metal on metal noises and this gets louder depending on how quickly i make the left hand turn. When I turn towards the right, no problem at all.

So this problem could be CV boot, bearings or brake wear? Any easy way to check the cv boot?

Now another problem...I am going on vacation this friday....is there danger in driving her 1000 miles or so round trip or will she make it? thanks

tim
Old 03-27-2008, 11:58 AM
Drifting

and i figured it out. thanks for lookin
Old 03-27-2008, 04:11 PM
THE J35A2...

Originally Posted by evilstorm
and i figured it out. thanks for lookin
what was it?

I hate a thread like this that people doesn't tell what the problem is, then people has to make another thread... not aiming at you buddy...
Old 03-27-2008, 04:55 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by SIRSIG
what was it?

I hate a thread like this that people doesn't tell what the problem is, then people has to make another thread... not aiming at you buddy...
since no one answered, i had figured no one really cared.. sorry..

I would get metal on metal sounds when i turned left and when i hit bumps....it was actually the rotor protector on the backside of the rotor which is bent to hell. It was about 1/16 of an inch from the actual rotor on the bottom side so i just bent it back as fas as i could and its perfect now. Really easy problem and should have probably checked the easy stuff first before i came on here..
Old 03-28-2008, 06:09 PM
THE J35A2...

Originally Posted by evilstorm
since no one answered, i had figured no one really cared.. sorry..

I would get metal on metal sounds when i turned left and when i hit bumps....it was actually the rotor protector on the backside of the rotor which is bent to hell. It was about 1/16 of an inch from the actual rotor on the bottom side so i just bent it back as fas as i could and its perfect now. Really easy problem and should have probably checked the easy stuff first before i came on here..
brake dust cover. i knew it... ya, pry it out cause that's really annoying when it rubs...

thanks for the reply...