need some cl type s info please

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 09:14 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need some cl type s info please

hey i have a 5th gen prelude and was thinkin of doin a 3.2 cl type s swap along with the 6 speed transmission. now i was wonderin how much the cl type s engine weighs and its dimensions. i am pretty confident that it will fit in my car cause the h22 is pretty big. also, what is the engine code on it, cant find that anywhere. any opinions? thanks a lot!
Old 08-06-2003, 11:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
j32a2, dunno the rest.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:19 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
puahaha... stop pipe dreaming... you can't possibly be serious about this... unless you've got 6-7 grand to burn you should go to sleep and forget teh whole deal.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:16 AM
2nd Gear

ya i think im actually willing to spend that much on the swap, i mean the prelude is one of my favorite lookin cars, but it lacks the power and torque. with the cl s engine i would have both the looks and the strong engine. besides, i bought the car for 14k, if i put lets say 7k into, it would still be less than a new prelude but with that much more power.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:19 AM
Spectacular Aroma About

Sounds like a sweet idea to me! I think it might fit. THe only problem would probably be the height of the CLS engine and getting it to clear the hood. The Prelude engine is kind of laid back. Can't really do that with a V6. Good luck though. Should be at least 500lbs lighter than a CL.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally posted by civic4982
puahaha... stop pipe dreaming... you can't possibly be serious about this... unless you've got 6-7 grand to burn you should go to sleep and forget teh whole deal.
After reading this post, M5 powered Z4 I realize that ANYTHING is possible.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:31 AM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

yeah... I saw that post too nsxnext... but if he's really going to do tis then more power to him... it's just such a biger investment than it may be worth.

If you're going to do this don't forget to make it RWD while you're at it. All that custom work, you might as well go all out. Good luck!

BTW, this might cause a similar problem as aplying an H22 to a hatch. Weight issues will be killer, expect that you'll have trouble turning.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:46 AM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

there's a few 6 speeds that have been wrecked... maybe you can look to them for parts... I remember ther was one guy parting one out a few month back
Old 08-07-2003, 12:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Wait, so you want to do the engine AND the tranny? At first I just thought it was the tranny. Well, good luck man. The price quote that's been flung around on here just for a tranny swap (with all parts) has been $6k-$8k, and that has been verified by our resident Acura tech. The engine will run you at least another $6500. Then you have to get everythign running. That's just crazy and not worth it IMO....
Old 08-07-2003, 01:46 PM
Drifting

Forget the money part, although I agree with juniorbean. You are asking for every mechanical, electrical and computer nightmare in the world!

Back when times were simpler, about 1967,I don't even think emission controls were required yet, here is a story for you to ponder:

I had a friend with a very sweet split rear window coupe corvette. Well, on a Friday night, he and his roomate (not me) got a little too liquored up, but they ran out of booze, so they decided to go to a bar about ten miles away. They were SO TRASHED that they totaled the vette, and damaged about three other cars, in their apartment parking lot! The only salvageable parts of the vette was the 375 hp engine and the 4 speed tranny.

So Steve asked me to showhorn said components into his next car, a used chevy Vega! Remember, we are talking only swapping mechanical components here.

Getting the engine and trans in required considerable work, but we made it. But we had to shorten the drive shaft, and get innovative with some radiator hoses. The shifter itself did not match the factory location, so we had to hack up the bellhousing area of the body, but we finally got it to run.

After the first drive, it was apparent we needed new front springs. We were in denial because steve was running out of money. Shit, the thing looked like a funny car sitting still in the driveway. Accelleration was phenomonal, cornering was a complete disaster. Way too much weight up front. I think the car was 80/20. Then things started to happen.

Overheating. A 4 cyl vega radiator with an 8 cyl 375 hp V8? Cmon. More mods. Then steve twisted the driveshaft. Got any idea what a custom made drive shaft cost? Well, we got one made. Now the drivetrain was strong enough to break the next weak link, the rear end. After that, we had a strange vibration, and I suspected I knew what it was. We removed both rear axles, cleaned them, and painted straight white stripes down the axis shaft. Steve drove the car "normally" (subject to interpretation here) for a week, and we removed the axels for inspection. That stripe looked like a candy cane. At this point we gave up, and parted the car out for scrap. At least I didn't have a dime invested into the thing.

Now, you want to swap engines and trannies from one car to another, and, I assume, built in two different eras. If you do, I predict the vega experiment will look like a piece of cake compared to your endeavor. Parts, especially front axles may not fit, and CV joints may rub. Hondas built in two different eras are going to have computer problems up the wazoo!

And to who ever said "go all the way, make it a rwd", how absolutely crazy is this?

Juniorbean, a little reinforcement here? I appreciate ambition, but this is going WAY over the top. And in the end, I think he will end up with a car with a blue book value that will be one thing: scrap metal.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:14 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

when I said the RWD comment I was joking

but don't worry, no one will actually ever go through with this... it's just a pipe dream.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:40 PM
Homeless

It'd be cheaper to buy my CLS since I'm in DE & selling one...

hint, hint, hint
Old 08-07-2003, 07:36 PM
Instructor

a friend of mine just finished putting an NSX Motor in a 91 CRX. Lets put it this way. it took 4000 individual welds on the fire wall alone. He made into a mid engined crx.It took alot of blue printing and shit. I don't know any times yet he hasn't worked all the bugs out. He said he's hoping for high 10.s naturally aspirated. He's contemplating N20. I say save your money and buy some thing already fast.