Need input (first post)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2002 | 05:29 PM
5th Gear

Need input (first post)

Here's my short and undetailed life story:

Been searching for a car for literally months, not being blown away by anything. I've test driven everything from E36 M3s, Audi A4s and S4s, VW Jettas, WRXs, and even Jeep Wranglers. Each had its own appeal, but I was turned off by someting on every one.

Then, in the last issue of C&D, there was a comparison between the CL-S and BMW 330. And surprisingly, the CL almost won (was a virtual tie). That really turned me on to Acura. (I don't know why I never looked there before - just an oversight I guess.) Anyway, I went to the dealership. I knew if I were to purchase an Acura, it would either be an RSX-S or a CL-S. I didn't have a lot of time, so I test drove the RSX-S....

In short, it blew me away. I had no idea it was such a complete package. Is it perfect, no. Would I like to see some changes, sure. Can you find a better $23,000 car? Not with an eternity to look and $1 mil tp spend. This car, with no exageration, impressed me more than the Bimmer, Audi, Subaru, VW, and anything else I had ever been in. To summarize, it was just right.

But, I am still curious as to the CL-S. I want to know how it compares to the RSX-S. Is there factory goodies to be had like an underbody kit, foglights, etc? Is it worth the $6000 over the RSX-S for the extra size and .4 sec acceleration? And finally, are there any complaints about it FEELING like a heavier car?

Thanks a lot for all the input. I've been trolling here a while, finally joined. I was a regular over at i-club, I don't think they'll miss me though.

-Dog
Old 06-20-2002 | 06:07 PM
The Creator

if your looking for a really sporty car like an RSX..... you dont want a CLS.

no factory goodies...

feels heavy, handles heavily.

however, in terms of refinement, gadgets, and big grin acceleration at low & high speeds... the CLS blows the RSX outta the water.
Old 06-20-2002 | 06:09 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

No comparo ! Others will share !
Welcome...
Old 06-21-2002 | 06:17 AM
Cruisin'

RSX = Civic

CL = Accord 2-dr

Who wants a Civic?
Old 06-21-2002 | 07:38 AM
Masshole

If razor-sharp handling and a boatload of mods are your thing, go with the RSX-S. If refinement, comfort, and dead-on balls acceleration are your thing, go with the CL-S. Either way, you're picking a winner!!!
Old 06-21-2002 | 08:49 AM
Banned

The motor expereince is completely different RSXS vs. CLS. THE RSXS has what I'd call a high strung motor. No torque unless you're tach is showing 6 grand and the 4 cylinders are screaming. While the CLS is no V8 it does have torque lower on the tach than the RSXS. In fact peak toque (232 ft-lbs) on the CLS is flat between 3800 and 5800 rpm. Therefore, IMHO the CLS is better in city traffic. If you plan on doing most of your driving at the top of the tachometer then maybe the RSXS is your best choice. However, I would bet that if you do live a lot at the top of the tach in an RSXS the motor doesn't last very long.
Old 06-21-2002 | 08:56 AM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Bro, if u want sport the RSX is the hot ticket...if u want Gran Turismo w/style and lux...the CL 6speed is the hot ticket...personally I would cop the RSX-S although u will see many of those down the yrs unlike the CL ( I still haven't seen an 03 CL yet here on long island)

If ur into modding, get the RSX, slap on that Greddy turbo, lower the compresion a tad bit and u can run the motor w/the turbo till 150K easy (cost u abt $8K 2 do all that though). Trust me u'll smoke alot of the cars out there (figure 0-60 5.3sec. at 5psi I think)
Old 06-21-2002 | 10:28 AM
5th Gear

Thanks for the feedback so far;

It's not that I am INTO modding necessarily, but if I have a car like the RSX where there is a huge aftermarket, I am not going to be able to resist the temptation. However, if I have the CL - I may do some stuff (wheels, a little suspension work, tint, etc.) - but I won't go crazy like with the RSX.

But, what some of you said, and I want to hear more about, is the handling of the CL-S. Some of you said it was great, surprising, etc., some said it was heavy, slow, etc.

So, somebody's got to be lying....

-Dog
Old 06-21-2002 | 10:39 AM
- daemonichris -

it's not that anybody is lying here... it's just a matter of opinion. it could be just the level of expecations that people have that would lead to them saying that the CL-S feels heavy and slow, or tight and sharp, etc etc. i personally think that the CL-S has decent handling, but with the springs and shocks that i replaced the stocks with... my car drives perfectly... in my opinion.
Old 06-21-2002 | 10:51 AM
Banned

!

Again, depends on what you want.

I've put the SWAY Bars on mine, and it makes a BIG Difference. I don't have springs, but many do. The Car is Very Tight for a 3500 LB Car with the Sways, but if you want GO-CART Tight, you'll probably want to look at dropping another 900-1100 for TEIN Coilovers, or 600-700 for NEX Coilovers. It'll ride a little ruffer and still want be quite as Quick as RSX just because of the Weight Issue, but it will be a world of difference "I"M TOLD".

Throw on some Headers and CAI or the new Comptech IceBox Coming out any day now, those 2 things along make a notieable difference on the BUTT METER.

I agree: you won't go wrong with either Choice !

Welcome

Originally posted by AlphaDog
Thanks for the feedback so far;

It's not that I am INTO modding necessarily, but if I have a car like the RSX where there is a huge aftermarket, I am not going to be able to resist the temptation. However, if I have the CL - I may do some stuff (wheels, a little suspension work, tint, etc.) - but I won't go crazy like with the RSX.

But, what some of you said, and I want to hear more about, is the handling of the CL-S. Some of you said it was great, surprising, etc., some said it was heavy, slow, etc.

So, somebody's got to be lying....

-Dog
Old 06-21-2002 | 11:43 AM
Banned

Another big influence is what car you're getting out of to get into the CL. I had a 1990 supercharged Thunderbird that I traded for my CLS. My CLS made me miss my T-bird at first. I didn't like the way the CLS handled in comparison. I especially didn't like the feel of the FWD vs RWD, but I had 10 years with that T-Bird. I knew it like the back of my hand and I liked it. Almost any new car in that situation has a strike against it. BTW I only traded my T-bird because the S/C was going bad. It would have cost nearly $5k to replace it. I still miss the 315 ft-lbs of torque at 2200 rpms, but it is a distant/fading memory.