Is the Navigation System really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2001 | 08:47 PM
5th Gear

Is the Navigation System really worth it?

I am considering buying a CL and one thing I am divided over is whether or not the Navigation system is really worthwhile. Aside from the "gee whiz" factor, is the system actually USEFUL? I have seen very little of the system other than what little I have seen in commercials. The system has been rated the highest out there by several publications. Out of anyone out there that has it, do you actually use it just driving around town? Is it accurate? I have heard that you can eject the DVD navigation disc and play a movie in it instead. Is that true? I would like to hear some thoughts and opinions on whether I should plunk down an extra $2,000 for something that is little more than a novelty...
Old 01-11-2001 | 08:50 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Worth every penny ! Nuff said, don't be foolish and pass on it, you will be disappointed ! It is the future ! I love it and am very happy I got it !

------------------
2001 CL Type S Black/Ebony w/NAVI
1998 Accord Coupe EX-V6
Black Currant Pearl
Old 01-11-2001 | 08:56 PM
Pro

i was divided on the same thing, i did not know if i would use acura or alpine, did some reaserch and acura 2g's alpine 2g's plus monitor 500-1g, and install 2-4hundred, plus the clutter it ads to cabin

------------------
2001 acura cl type-s
comming soon
2000 accord v6 sedan
1997 4runner
1992 camaro
1993 volvo 850
Old 01-11-2001 | 09:05 PM
Learn to swim

I too wondered if I would use it enough to justify the cost. I mean I NEVER get lost..... cause I'm a man.
Yes the navi is worth it. You will use it more than you think. It has a lot of useful features other than just a map. It is also a "yellow pages" with just about everything listed.
Don't know about the movie part.... I find it difficult to drive and try to watch a movie.

------------------
01 CL-S Black/Tan
Comptech Springs, V1
Old 01-11-2001 | 09:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tuleman:
I too wondered if I would use it enough to justify the cost. I mean I NEVER get lost..... cause I'm a man.

</font>
LOL! Cuz you're a man?? LOL!!

Alex
Old 01-11-2001 | 09:23 PM
Moderator Alumnus

get it! you'd regret it otherwise. it's the only option on the car. you're gonna be peeking in other CLs' windows too see if they got it. anyway, chicks dig it! they can touch it, play with it.... you get the picture!

------------------
YuppieCL
'90 Accord LX
'01 3.2CL Type S
#6487, Satin Silver, Navi, Spoiler, Comptech springs, 35% Llumar window tint, Full nose mask
Old 01-11-2001 | 09:49 PM
Burning Brakes

The database has lots of restaurants, gas stations and other POI's.
Say you want to go to (your favorite restaurant here). Navi will list a bunch of them close to you if they are close to you and even if their not close to you. It gives you a running count on how many miles you have to go to get there and of course Navi can tell you your long. and lat. coords if you want that. Saved my neck three times as I'd of never found the place I was trying to find if I was using intuition. Plus it'll ad to the resale value and the best part is if there is some tie up or traffic ahead, you can ask Navi for another route and slam bang your off on another road to your destination.

Oh yeah and when a news station says "at the tone the time will be 9:30", you can bet your clock will change to 9:30 at the tone.

Besides if your only somewhat into computers and techno stuff how can you NOT get this?

Good Luck

------------------
01 CL Type-S, White/Black/Navi/Comptech Springs+Sways/Burl Shifter/Guards

[This message has been edited by Al Uminum (edited 01-11-2001).]
Old 01-11-2001 | 10:24 PM
Instructor

Its definitely worth it and is very useful when you're out of town and not familiar with the area. Its like a phone book too! you won't need to be calling 411 from your cell
Old 01-11-2001 | 10:51 PM
Honda fan extraordinaire

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Otis:
I am considering buying a CL and one thing I am divided over is whether or not the Navigation system is really worthwhile. Aside from the "gee whiz" factor, is the system actually USEFUL? I have seen very little of the system other than what little I have seen in commercials. The system has been rated the highest out there by several publications. Out of anyone out there that has it, do you actually use it just driving around town? Is it accurate? I have heard that you can eject the DVD navigation disc and play a movie in it instead. Is that true? I would like to hear some thoughts and opinions on whether I should plunk down an extra $2,000 for something that is little more than a novelty...</font>
I would definitely get the Navi. I've found it to be very helpful,and when the database is upgraded (Presumably next Fall) it will be a world beater. It is definitely the future-and a necessity for all of we "techies". Go for it!!

------------------
Satin Silver CL-S,Spoiler,Navi.
Old 01-12-2001 | 01:41 AM
Race Director

Seeing that you are from Olathe, I would caution you that your city is new enough that all of the streets may not be exactly on the Navi. All of the major ones are there, most of the secondary, too. It's good enough to drive with and use daily.

Once you come over to O.P. (I'm near 135 & Q), you'll find it to be very accurate. I use mine all the time and it is worth every penny. If you are familiar with the metro setup, you'll know that it's nearly impossible to know your way around the entire city particular since Kansas is so organized and orderly and Missouri is completely screwed up.

Image this, when driving in Kansas, all the streets go North-South, East-West; they are in numerical order, and they go all the way from one side of town to the other. Cross the state line into Missouri and the streets have all kinds of names and go in all directions. The same street changes names often and some streets are broken up into a dozen disjointed segments. Going across town could mean crossing the state line back and forth several times.

And if you are like me, you know nothing about that part of town across the north side of the River, around the airport. Get the Navi.

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

* 500 posts on h/a.net *** 400 posts "insane poster" on the "old" acura-cl.com *
Old 01-12-2001 | 01:48 AM
Team Owner

I recommend getting the NAV system.
Even though my area isn’t mapped very well, I bought it for when I take trips out of the area and all the major highways are in there.
There are always DVD upgrades that will be out every year and there are some reports that the fall 2001 update will have the entire country mapped.

The unit definitely can’t play DVD’s.
Can you imagine what kind of liability that would cause?

I’m sure someone will eventually hack into it though.

Shawn S

------------------
&gt;&gt;&gt; 400+ posts on h/a.net &lt;&lt;&lt; &gt;&gt;&gt; 550+ posts “freak” on the “old” acura-cl.com &lt;&lt;&lt;

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER ZR-360 w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Shine by ZAINO
For Pictures see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 01-12-2001 | 01:52 AM
Suzuka Master

I use it EVERYDAY i mean everywhere i go. cuz it will tell you the shortest distance. thus saving me gas and time. itz worth every penny and more. My next car will deffintly need to have a navi. plus you'll get a better resale value, and the car looks so much more hightech and luxuyius. Can't recommended enought. if i had a choice between getting the type S and a cl-p w/ a navi i would get the cl-p w/ the navi.
GET THE NAVI.
a must. alot of people regret not getting one after they see it in other cl's. don't regret it. 2000 is nothing compared to what you'll get out of it.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers soon now that I have a JOB again. hehe
Old 01-12-2001 | 01:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Wasn't going to waste my money on it...Bought the Sales Manger's car...Had It....I Love it, so does the wife....Will spend money on in the future....By the way it's cool.....

------------------
00' Laguna Green TL w/ Navi, Rear Spoiler & Tint. Soon to have Comptech Suspension, Sways, Exhaust and 17" or 18" Wheels & Tires.
Old 01-12-2001 | 02:21 AM
Rock Chalk Jayhawk

kensteele-

I agree with you that the MO side is a little bit more confusing, but it's not bad once you get used to it. I live up north and work in Shawnee, and I don't know if I could handle living in JOCO. If you ever need any help with directions let me know.
Old 01-12-2001 | 10:14 AM
Adult Supervision

Buy it.

Yesterday, headed home at 7pm. Come onto interstate 495 north of Boston and it is a total gridlocked mess. Obviously something like a big accident cause no one is moving. Immediately take the exit and hit the navigator to on. It warms up in about 15 secs, I hit new route, old destinations, hit my home address which is the first on the list, hit change method, hit avoid freeways (don't want it to tell me to get back on the highway) and wait another 15 secs for it to recalculate. A crappy drive home sitting in traffic for an hour becomes and interesting new route home through the back roads of northern MA. I love it!

------------------
MikeS 18
'01 CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment with Nav, Spoiler, door guards, wood trim kit, fender guards, PIAA 19169 & Platinum 9005, V1, trunk tray, winter mats, Salt Coat Finish by Mass DOT
Old 01-12-2001 | 11:01 AM
Instructor

Here's a different view. I didn't get the Navi, and I don't regret it even after 7 months. It really depends on what you use your CL-S for. Mine is my short commute to work and cruise the twisty backroads of my area. It would be a neat toy I suppose, but I really really really didn't like the fact that the climate control system was run through it.
I had limited funds, and I opted for the Type-S over the navi.

I plan on keeping this car for the long term, and I know the system will be obsolete in about 2-3 years. Alpine makes an aftermarket unit that pops-out of a dual head unit stereo. If I ever want it, I can go with that unit and upgrade the stereo at the same time. Will cost about the same also but would get many more features. I liked it better as its out of the way when not in use.

I am not against the navi at all, but I thought it was too expensive vs the little I would use it.

Oh, and if you want to see what a DVD would look like on it, just set your computer monitor to 16 colors (that's 16 colors not 16bit color). The aftermarket units have a higher color resolution and can play DVD's.

------------------
Silver CL type S, upgraded cupholder

[This message has been edited by Athena_CL_TypeS (edited 01-12-2001).]
Old 01-12-2001 | 11:16 AM
Instructor

I love my Nav. I would get it again in a second.

------------------
2001 Acura CL-S
  • White/Tan
  • Navagation
  • Spoiler
  • Mud Flaps
  • Wood trim
  • Formula One 35% tint all around
Old 01-12-2001 | 11:45 AM
Race Director

Athena has some good points; you may not actually make use of the Navi; however there is one point made:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Athena_CL_TypeS:
I plan on keeping this car for the long term, and I know the system will be obsolete in about 2-3 years.</font>
This is completely incorrect. In fact, within 2 or 3 years, we'll probably be posting on www.325hp.com (or whatever) discussing all of the newest cool features of the 2004 Fall release DVD. No flame but to say that the Navi will be obsolete (i.e. there will be other options on the market that are much more viable rendering your current Navi incapable) only indicates that Athena hasn't used any GPS-based device prior. I guess obsolete means that the 2003 Fall release DVD will be the last update and the manufacturer will quit making DVD updates for the 2001 CL in favour of something else....whatever the hell that might be.

Nothing scares away the potential buyer more quickly than to say "spend your money now but your purchased will be obsolete and no longer supported in a few years." Completely incorrect (unless there's some sort of major, major, major event).

If there is anything that will be obsolete sooner than later, it will be the 0.1% of Alpine's business that they call "Navigation Systems". If their costs don't come down soon and demand doesn't pick up soon, the Bush economy is going to put the squeeze on high-tech industries and force them a second look at their product lineup.

------------------
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

* 500 posts on h/a.net *** 400 posts "insane poster" on the "old" acura-cl.com *

[This message has been edited by kensteele (edited 01-12-2001).]
Old 01-12-2001 | 11:59 AM
Racer

I DIDN'T buy it and I don't regret it for a second! Granted, I know my way around Dallas well and I don't do a lot of out-of-town driving, which I think are things to consider. But a mapsco for $10 (or whatever they cost) and invest your remaining $1,090 (or buy some headers or springs and sway bars) and I think you'll be very happy. I've NEVER found myself wanting it or in a position where it would be useful (for what is costs).

------------------
Black/Parch '01 CL-S no-navi, Spoiler, Visor (currently removed for winter), 35% tint, locks, PIAA19170
Old 01-12-2001 | 12:01 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by P-Man:
But a mapsco for $10
</font>
of course the BUT should be BUY. my bad.

------------------
Black/Parch '01 CL-S no-navi, Spoiler, Visor (currently removed for winter), 35% tint, locks, PIAA19170
Old 01-12-2001 | 12:12 PM
Advanced

I dont have the acura nav, but I have it in my GS400 and I love it. I have seen the Acura, and it blows mine away (HD vs DVD). I have yet to have my database upgraded (still early '98) and it is still so acurate it is scary. I know that it will be in my next car as well.
Old 01-12-2001 | 12:33 PM
Instructor

I believe alpine makes the acura system. If they stop making systems, there won't be any more upgrades from Acura either.

The new DVD can add more listings, but not new features. You indicated in 2-3 years we may be on 325hp.com, well that means a new car and a completely new navi system. In 7 years I will still be at 260hp.com.
What I mean by that is features such as:
integrated cell phone, integrated email, integrated web browser. Benz is adding most of these new features for 2002 models. And I bet Acura will also have all of these in 2003.
The TL has a larger screen size, will the 2002 cl also get this larger screen? Who knows?

In 7 years I am sure the current system will function, even if it didn't have a dvd upgrade for a few years. Even if this year is the last dvd update, the system would still function in 10 years. And I wouldn't place a get-it-or-don't decision based soley on this. Some people use it every day. For me I would use it maybe once a month. There are a lot of other toys I would rather have for $2000 (headers,springs,sways come to mind, so does a trip the the islands)

(no, I am not going to say it would buy a lot of shoes)

------------------
Silver CL type S, upgraded cupholder

[This message has been edited by Athena_CL_TypeS (edited 01-12-2001).]
Old 01-12-2001 | 01:04 PM
Instructor

I personally think it's a big waste of Money $2000, is way too much. CL-s is a good valu for the money only if you don't get the Nav system. If you get it you really are not geting a good value for the money. DON'T GET IT!!

------------------
2001 CL Type S
San Marino Red/Parchment
Spoiler, wind deflector,Wheel locks, Non Nav
No mods yet
Old 01-12-2001 | 02:26 PM
Racer

I didn't get the NAV either. I went back and forth on it and couldn't come up with a good reason to get it except for the "cool toy" and "show off" factor. I finally decided not to get it when I looked at it as a monthly service fee. That $2000 over a 60 month loan is about $35 or so when you count the interest. I couldn't justify $35 a month for something that I really didn't need and would probably get used a handful of times a year. Most of the time I spend in my car is driving to work. I already know how to do that and know the alternate routes if needed. Most of the rest of my driving is to places I've been to before. Only a very small percentage of my driving takes me to new places, and that is where the NAV would get used. I just couldn't justify it for $35 a month.

Since I've had my car, I haven't thought about it at all. I don't feel like I'm missing something, which was one of my worries.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red / Parchment
non-nav - wheel locks - splash guards

[This message has been edited by TakeFlight (edited 01-12-2001).]
Old 01-12-2001 | 02:34 PM
Senior Moderator

I didn't opt for it but would buy it after watching Bonez navigate with his during the So Cal meet.

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Comptech Headers
Comptech Springs
Muds
Wheel locks
35% Llumar metallic tint
Best 0-60. 6.08 Gtech Pro (Preheaders)

My Car
Old 01-12-2001 | 02:42 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Who would need a Navi system in PLANO TEXAS ???? Is Plano near Elpaso Texas ?

------------------
1998 Accord Coupe EX-V6
Black Currant Pearl
Old 01-12-2001 | 02:48 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Fabvsix:
Who would need a Navi system in PLANO TEXAS ???? Is Plano near Elpaso Texas ?

</font>
What's your problem with Plano, Texas????? And to answer your question, it's a suburb of Dallas. Have you heard of THAT city?

------------------
Old 01-12-2001 | 02:52 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

My problem is actually TEXAS and The BUSH's ! How about that Tex ? I lived in Houston for 8 years AND WILL NEVER RETURN TO TEXAS...............Yes I know all about Dallas/Fortworth/Austin/Galveston/Beaumont and more, I happen to be from LOUISIANA !
Just my .2cents !

------------------
1998 Accord Coupe EX-V6
Black Currant Pearl
Old 01-12-2001 | 03:04 PM
Racer

My problem is actually TEXAS and The BUSH's ! How about that Tex ? I lived in Houston for 8 years AND WILL NEVER RETURN TO TEXAS...............Yes I know all about Dallas/Fortworth/Austin/Galveston/Beaumont and more, I happen to be from LOUISIANA !
Just my .2cents !

</font>
Well if I lived in Houston for 8 years I would hate Texas also!!! But as far as hating an entire state because of some problems YOU had in Houston is ridiculous. Just a note, Houston <> Texas (<> means not equal to). I hope your happier in California - the land of earthquakes, mudslides, wild fires, car jacking, smog, inflated costs of living and INSANE energy prices. Enjoy! We don't miss you here!

------------------
Old 01-12-2001 | 03:19 PM
Race Director

Here's my point:

We have all these comments about "I know my way around, I don't need it", "I can live without it", or "I can't justify spending X amount of dollar [per month]" on a Navigation system.

But at the same time, the industry is going to spend $Millions on developing cool, integrated, multi-tasking, multi-functional, fast, DVD-integrated, Wireless Internet Navigation systems for 90% of the public who don't want, won't pay for, or don't need it?

I believe you. I agree. There's not enough people who want the Navi as an option to justify the technical advances. Acura will have to make it a non-option and force you to pay for it. Otherwise, how can the industry support a Navigation system that so cool and so functional and so complex and so great that it makes the present system obsolete?

It cannot. I work in this industry and from my point of view, it cannot. It will always be an option for the general public (for the next decade) and it will never be so far out there that present day Navi owners will feel like they are missing something. Not in this decade.

The best three reasons to buy the Navi are:
1)It is a cool toys to have,
2)From time-to-time, it will aid and assist in Navigational situations, and
3)You can afford it (adds to your resale value).

------------------
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

Old 01-12-2001 | 03:30 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

P-Man,
First I have no problems with you, just Texas ! It's my personal opinion. I had NO problems in TEXAS. I was just tired of being overworked and underpaid. Today I made over 200K for the year in CALIFORNIA and have NO PLANS on moving ! Don't blame us on NRG problems, it Clintons fault, called "Deregulations", however, Mr. Bush will fix it once in office ! And don't sweat it, I don't miss TEXAS either !
Yeeeehaw or whatever !

------------------
1998 Accord Coupe EX-V6
Black Currant Pearl
Old 01-12-2001 | 03:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Otis:
I am considering buying a CL and one thing I am divided over is whether or not the Navigation system is really worthwhile. Aside from the "gee whiz" factor, is the system actually USEFUL? I have seen very little of the system other than what little I have seen in commercials. The system has been rated the highest out there by several publications. Out of anyone out there that has it, do you actually use it just driving around town? Is it accurate? I have heard that you can eject the DVD navigation disc and play a movie in it instead. Is that true? I would like to hear some thoughts and opinions on whether I should plunk down an extra $2,000 for something that is little more than a novelty...</font>
Unless you really think you will need it, do not buy it. Save the money and add the comptech header and still have cash left over...

Old 01-12-2001 | 03:40 PM
Racer

P-Man,
First I have no problems with you, just Texas ! It's my personal opinion. I had NO problems in TEXAS. I was just tired of being overworked and underpaid. Today I made over 200K for the year in CALIFORNIA and have NO PLANS on moving ! Don't blame us on NRG problems, it Clintons fault, called "Deregulations", however, Mr. Bush will fix it once in office ! And don't sweat it, I don't miss TEXAS either !
Yeeeehaw or whatever !

</font>
I'm just a bit confused, please clear something up for me. In one of your earlier posts you said your problems were with Texas and the Bush's. But now you're on his side because he's gonna fix your enery prices?? Which is it? I have no problems with you either, but I don't appreciate being called 'Tex' - I don't fit the mental picture of a dumb hillbilly that such a name conjures up. And if you lived here for 8 years you'd know that no one here says 'yeehaw' - again, your hillbilly reference is not appreciated. And by the way, California is not the only state where someone can make 200K/year. By the way, congratulations on that - we're all REAL impressed.

Yeehaw,
Tex

------------------
Old 01-12-2001 | 03:51 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

P-man,
I don't like George Bush or Bill Clinton, but Bill on his way out and George is on his way in. George will faced with the challenge. I understand not like being called Tex. My apology. I don't like being referred to as Cajun coon ass either ! California has been very good to me for the past 13 years. In my line of work, Technical Recruiting will never die in the Bay Area, so I don't think I'll be back in texas anytime soon, other than to visit my friends in Austin !
Your friend,
Cajun Coon Ass..........:>)

------------------
1998 Accord Coupe EX-V6
Black Currant Pearl
Old 01-12-2001 | 05:11 PM
Racer

Fabvisx,

Ok man, we're cool. Besides I just got back from a beer-filled lunch and am in no mood to argue.

It's Friday!!!

------------------
Old 01-12-2001 | 05:13 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

I am having a beer now, as I work from home on Friday's !

------------------
1998 Accord Coupe EX-V6
Black Currant Pearl
Old 01-12-2001 | 05:30 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kensteele:
Here's my point:

We have all these comments about "I know my way around, I don't need it", "I can live without it", or "I can't justify spending X amount of dollar [per month]" on a Navigation system.
</font>
Just have a look at his "Road Warrior" link and you know that this is a guy who is going to support the NAV.

I'm in the computer industry and I'm usually an early adopter of technology. However, I do try to justify how useful a product is to me instead of just buying it because it's cool. I've wasted too much money in the past on stuff that was real cool and then it never got used because once the coolness wore off I was left with an expensive and useless toy. I'm not saying the NAV is an expensive and useless toy I'm just saying that at this point in time I can't see spending the money on it when I hardly need a map when driving, much less a $2000 NAV system. I think if I use a map more than 1 or 2 times a year that is a lot for me. Why would I buy a $2000 option to replace that limited use item?

With all that said, if the CL-S came with the NAV and there was no CL-S without, I still would have bought the car even though it would have cost $2000 more. It's not that I couldn't afford it, but since I had the option I didn't see the need to spend that money. If you are buying a $30k car I can't see $2000 being the determining factor budget wise.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red / Parchment
non-nav - wheel locks - splash guards

[This message has been edited by TakeFlight (edited 01-12-2001).]
Old 01-12-2001 | 06:04 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS:
I use it EVERYDAY i mean everywhere i go. cuz it will tell you the shortest distance. thus saving me gas and time. itz worth every penny and more. My next car will deffintly need to have a navi. plus you'll get a better resale value, and the car looks so much more hightech and luxuyius. Can't recommended enought. if i had a choice between getting the type S and a cl-p w/ a navi i would get the cl-p w/ the navi.
GET THE NAVI.
a must. alot of people regret not getting one after they see it in other cl's. don't regret it. 2000 is nothing compared to what you'll get out of it.

</font>
I don't regret getting the Navi. I think, for my needs, it would eb a total waist of money. I never take road trips and I travel the same route every day.

How lost can one get when the land you live on is only 15-20 miles wide (south Fla)

I never get lost.

Plus, And no flames please, I think the car looks better without the navi. I like the way the A/C control is mounted with the dials. I hate using the touch screen crap to set my desired temps.

IMHO!!!!!

------------------
Old 01-12-2001 | 06:42 PM
IDRSLOW

it's worth it ! I don't know why you're even considering ?

it saved my life from a crazy dude who tried to kill me or something !

check this out !

http://www.acura-cl.com/cgi-bin/ubbc...type=&number=1
Old 01-15-2001 | 06:42 PM
8th Gear

So far i've barely used mine for the mapping, but use it all the time to find places.

People that don't have it don't see the value of being able to find the closest ATM, or the closest Gas Station when you're running out, restaraunt.....anything. Plus, if i want to get a phone # for a business, they're all in there.

One thing i'd like to have that i don't think it does, is to be able to set a few business names and have it find the closest one to me without typing it in. Like i'd like to be able to set up Bank Of America, and than just hit 2 or 3 buttons and get a list of my favorites, and than pick b of a and choose "find closest"...

Also, i think the next thing the nav's will have is realtime traffic info. I think some systems are starting that up this year. I think that would be the first thing to change, that might warrant new hardware.

-smak-

------------------
2001 CL Silver Type S w/ nav, muds, locks & spoiler.

Quick Reply: Is the Navigation System really worth it?