Navigation problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2001 | 03:45 PM
Outnumbered at home

Navigation problem

Has anyone else experienced this? When using my navi it loses where my car is at times. As in I have it set to take me home and the car is traveling along the blue line and all of a sudden it looks like my car has gone off the road and is cruising thru the trees. Is this a normal glitch everone has with the system? It corrects itself after a couple of seconds. Anyone else with this problem. I was just wondering if my GPS antenna was messed up or something.

------------------
Old 05-14-2001 | 04:06 PM
The Creator

Ive had it do this for miles upon miles before... very irritating as the navi then tells you your "Off-Route"

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red (Navigation)
PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow FogsValentine 1Xephyr CAI

"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity." -Albert Einstein
Old 05-14-2001 | 04:09 PM
Unregistered Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 95gt:
Has anyone else experienced this? When using my navi it loses where my car is at times. As in I have it set to take me home and the car is traveling along the blue line and all of a sudden it looks like my car has gone off the road and is cruising thru the trees. Is this a normal glitch everone has with the system? It corrects itself after a couple of seconds. Anyone else with this problem. I was just wondering if my GPS antenna was messed up or something.

</font>
Pretty common. You'll learn to live with it.....

------------------
99 M3
dead CL-S

Tom2: The Voice Of Reason
Old 05-14-2001 | 04:11 PM
Instructor

I have had that happen to me a couple of times also. Post whatever you here.

thanks...
Old 05-14-2001 | 04:28 PM
Smack My B*tch Up

it happens to me all the time. I will be going to the dealler tomorrow for an oil change and I will ask them about this.

------------------
Black 2001 Acura CL-S W/Nav 20%,35% Tint, Polarg M6 lamps

Live To Drive!
Old 05-14-2001 | 04:37 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 95gt:

</font>
it is normal....however it is usually caused by u switching satelites or signal loss.... another thing that can cause this is Solar Flares.... they interfere with the Ionosphere and cause all sorts of cook shit to happen.. eg Aurora Borealis.
You can check the number of satelites you are getting at any one time by doing the following ...

BE CAREFULL U CAN F*CK UP YOUR NAVI HERE.
1) Hold down the top 2 buttons and then the cancell for and count to 10.
By then it would have come up to the Navi Diagnostic screen.
2)Touch DIagnosics.
3)Then Touch GPS.... This will show u how many satelites u r picking up at the moment.
I usually get like 6 satelites.. but i have gone down to like 4 before.... and i worked fine. so let me know how many u r getting.
Good luck dude!

I will post some pics of the screens as soon as i can.

------------------
2001 Acura CL Type S
Black on Ebony
Navigation, Spoiler, Wheel locks and tint.

Acura - We are Artists of the Streets.

"Sixty-three percent of the American people approve of the job Bush is doing. Then again, 98 percent of the American people are fucking morons."
TheOnion.com
Old 05-14-2001 | 04:38 PM
Racer

By the way... did anyone notice how much this problem happened when we had solar storms a few months back?

------------------
2001 Acura CL Type S
Black on Ebony
Navigation, Spoiler, Wheel locks and tint.

Acura - We are Artists of the Streets.

"Sixty-three percent of the American people approve of the job Bush is doing. Then again, 98 percent of the American people are fucking morons."
TheOnion.com
Old 05-14-2001 | 05:01 PM
Smack My B*tch Up

But mine also at some times gets a head of it self. It indicates that I am ahead of my current position by like 100 ft.

------------------
Black 2001 Acura CL-S W/Nav 20%,35% Tint, Polarg M6 lamps

Live To Drive!
Old 05-14-2001 | 05:23 PM
Race Director

Wrong, wrong, too many opinions here; not enough facts...answers later <I'm RoadWarrior>

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *
Old 05-16-2001 | 11:22 PM
Suzuka Master

I've got three web pages for solar storms, and we have had a ton of them. You will see yellow bars or no bars showing.

If the 3-green bars go to yellow, you should still be ok. When the bars go completely grey (and don't come back), you are in trouble. If the system's internal gyro and speed sensor are working correctly (you haven't done some really nutty tire size change), you should be ok for about an hour or more.

If you got off-highway, through alleys, and do all kinds of strange tricks, you can expect the NAVI to respond with various types of "brain damage".

I could write an essay on "Ways to Screw the Navi up", but will spare all of you.

Finally, there seem to be situations where the NAVI can act funny on certain "roads" -- it happens. If you are really flipping out about it, you could take to a dealer, but they only seem to be good a running the Helm Manual diagnostics.

Here is a link for current High Frequency and Radio Navigation black outs:

http://www.sec.noaa.gov/SWN/

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 10 coats of Zaino magic
Old 05-17-2001 | 01:14 AM
Race Director

Sorry I had forgotten about this thread. The solar stuff is mostly correct, I agree. But here's where I disagree:

Saying that it is pretty common for the Navi to be inaccurate is not an accurate statement. If your particular route is not accurate and you drive that route everyday, that doesn't quality as "commonly inaccurate." If you go all over town and the Navi is contantly doing you wrong, there's problems.

As for the inaccuracy, there's a couple of items. Of course GPS is not deadly accurate, even if they have turned off SA (the govenment induced inaccuracy to civilian GPS). If you drive over a long bridge and you cross the water and you look at Navi and it says you are not quite over the water, that's not a problem with the Navi. You are where you are. There's a problem with the map. And the same error probably exists in all maps. The river shifts...whatever.

One thing though. Navi attempts to keep you on course, it tries to put you on roads. Depending on the algorithm, this may be a difficult task. In some cities where the mapping is poor and the roads are close together and change often, Navi can easily be confused and stay confused for quite awhile..

Switching satellites is never the problem, you can't drive fast enough. Loss of signal is usually compensated for by internal gyros and solar flares can be a problem.

I wouldn't worry about the Navi signal strength or the number of satellites. The system is almost always working correctly. Mainly it's the maps and the auto correction that are out of whack. Acura Navi is no more inaccurate than any other non-military GPS (handheld or other vehicle Navi).

And those are the facts.

Read here for more. http://joe.mehaffey.com/

------------------
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *
Old 05-19-2001 | 06:10 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kensteele:
Sorry I had forgotten about this thread. The solar stuff is mostly correct, I agree. But here's where I disagree:

Saying that it is pretty common for the Navi to be inaccurate is not an accurate statement. If your particular route is not accurate and you drive that route everyday, that doesn't quality as "commonly inaccurate." If you go all over town and the Navi is contantly doing you wrong, there's problems.

As for the inaccuracy, there's a couple of items. Of course GPS is not deadly accurate, even if they have turned off SA (the govenment induced inaccuracy to civilian GPS). If you drive over a long bridge and you cross the water and you look at Navi and it says you are not quite over the water, that's not a problem with the Navi. You are where you are. There's a problem with the map. And the same error probably exists in all maps. The river shifts...whatever.

One thing though. Navi attempts to keep you on course, it tries to put you on roads. Depending on the algorithm, this may be a difficult task. In some cities where the mapping is poor and the roads are close together and change often, Navi can easily be confused and stay confused for quite awhile..

Switching satellites is never the problem, you can't drive fast enough. Loss of signal is usually compensated for by internal gyros and solar flares can be a problem.

I wouldn't worry about the Navi signal strength or the number of satellites. The system is almost always working correctly. Mainly it's the maps and the auto correction that are out of whack. Acura Navi is no more inaccurate than any other non-military GPS (handheld or other vehicle Navi).

And those are the facts.

Read here for more. http://joe.mehaffey.com/

</font>
Comment -- as long as the unit is NOT using differential GPS with auto updating maps, the thing is going to act funny.

One algorithm has it trying to correct for the commercial band error by jumping to the closest street. If you go off-street and back, notice that it will usually take a short period of travel for "vehicle" to jump back on to a mapped street. So, you have one "behavior" trying to compensate for the intrinsic error in the commercial band by pulling on to the nearest street.

Here is an interesting example, if I take an alley as a short cut, bypassing the main road for a block on my way home, the unit "parks" my car on an a parallel street, not "off street" (where is really is). The software needs to make arbitrary decisions regarding on-street and off-street behavior, and this can get tricky. The unit also misbehaves at times in certain areas (very rarely, but it happens).

If map data was good to a foot or so, and the unit was using differential GPS, that would be one thing, but the unit has a probable radius of error that at times exceeds the spacing of adjacent roads. The result is a unit that is making a lot of assumptions that get rather involved.

If the unit works well most of the time -- I consider it to be a "functioning" unit. If the unit is constantly giving "wrong" readings, then it is screwed-up.

I asked the Alpine and Acura folks for a clarification on the "positional" correction (see the Setup menu) -- I wanted to know if the "adjustment" for position was for the entire map, or had a "radius of correction". I got four different answers from the engineers at Acura and from Alpine via Acura. I don't think they even know how most of software in the unit works.

When my car was in for its sways, etc. The dealer was (presumably) moving the wheels around while it was up on the rack (the power was not disconnected). We had a solar flare and since the wheel sensors had been moved all over the place, and no satellites were visible (all grey display), my vehicle was being show about 1/2 mile away from its correct location. Only when I got 3-yellow bars and I maintained a constant heading on a main street, did the unit finally jump back and figure out where it was. (This happened about a month ago.)

You make all of this sound very simple, but it isn't. There are a lot of ways to fool the system, and as long as the system works via a set of arbitrary heuristics, it is going to do funny things from time-to-time.

So, there are times where the NAVI signal strength is extremely important -- if you don't have any, and the system is confused, there are going to be problems.

BTW -- I helped write one the early mapping software packages.

------------------
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Silver AEM CAI
Old 05-19-2001 | 06:12 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EricL:
Comment -- as long as the unit is NOT using differential GPS with auto updating maps, the thing is going to act funny.

One algorithm has it trying to correct for the commercial band error by jumping to the closest street. If you go off-street and back, notice that it will usually take a short period of travel for "vehicle" to jump back on to a mapped street. So, you have one "behavior" trying to compensate for the intrinsic error in the commercial band by pulling on to the nearest street.

Here is an interesting example, if I take an alley as a short cut, bypassing the main road for a block on my way home, the unit "parks" my car on an a parallel street, not "off street" (where is really is). The software needs to make arbitrary decisions regarding on-street and off-street behavior, and this can get tricky. The unit also misbehaves at times in certain areas (very rarely, but it happens).

If map data was good to a foot or so, and the unit was using differential GPS, that would be one thing, but the unit has a probable radius of error that at times exceeds the spacing of adjacent roads. The result is a unit that is making a lot of assumptions that get rather involved.

If the unit works well most of the time -- I consider it to be a "functioning" unit. If the unit is constantly giving "wrong" readings, then it is screwed-up.

I asked the Alpine and Acura folks for a clarification on the "positional" correction (see the Setup menu) -- I wanted to know if the "adjustment" for position was for the entire map, or had a "radius of correction". I got four different answers from the engineers at Acura and from Alpine via Acura. I don't think they even know how most of software in the unit works.

When my car was in for its sways, etc. The dealer was (presumably) moving the wheels around while it was up on the rack (the power was not disconnected). We had a solar flare and since the wheel sensors had been moved all over the place, and no satellites were visible (all grey display), my vehicle was being show about 1/2 mile away from its correct location. Only when I got 3-yellow bars and I maintained a constant heading on a main street, did the unit finally jump back and figure out where it was. (This happened about a month ago.)

You make all of this sound very simple, but it isn't. There are a lot of ways to fool the system, and as long as the system works via a set of arbitrary heuristics, it is going to do funny things from time-to-time.

So, there are times where the NAVI signal strength is extremely important -- if you don't have any, and the system is confused, there are going to be problems.

BTW -- I helped write one the early GIS software packages.

</font>

------------------
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Silver AEM CAI
Old 05-19-2001 | 06:22 PM
Race Director

You are right. I guess I meant a weak signal as opposed to some signal vs. no signal. How can six satellites with 3 bars each be more accurate than four satellites with 2 bars each? Under 99% of driving conditions, it can't.

A GPS unit is complex. But to the user, it's very simple, that's what I meant because I've seen the complex things a map + GPS unit has to endure. I've also seen the issues that we are now facing with Position Location (and GPS) in our PCS digital phones. I guess I was just opposed to those who were saying Navi problems are common and happen all the time. Not with mine.

In a vehicle under normal driving conditions, it's obvious to me that I never, ever have to worry about how many satellites I've acquired or how strong the signals are. On foot in the woods with my handheld Garmin? Different story....

------------------
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *
Old 05-19-2001 | 06:27 PM
Banned

Do you have any technical details about GPS? Like how high up the satellites are and how fast they're moving? I was in diag mode yesterday watching the satellites, and noticed those things are moving all over the place. And they're not all going in same direction either.

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CL Type S Spoiler, Navi, Cupholder 2.0
Charter member of the Scratched Rim Club
Old 05-19-2001 | 06:34 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mdaniel:
Do you have any technical details about GPS? Like how high up the satellites are and how fast they're moving? I was in diag mode yesterday watching the satellites, and noticed those things are moving all over the place. And they're not all going in same direction either.

</font>
Here is one link:

http://www.cnde.iastate.edu/staff/swormley/gps/gps.html

There a bunch of good ones, you can just use the one Ken supplied and/or check www.google.com with "GPS information" and go from there.

The GPS satellites are in a low orbit, not high orbit, so they come-and-go.

------------------
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Silver AEM CAI
Old 05-19-2001 | 06:35 PM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mdaniel:
</font>
http://joe.mehaffey.com/

------------------
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *
Old 05-19-2001 | 06:38 PM
- daemonichris -

oh yah... that's happened to me... but usually the car looks like it's off route for a couple seconds... then the navi fixes itself

------------------
Acura 3.2CL Type-S w/ Navigation
Black/Ebony
Custom CAI
Pirelli P7000 Supersport 235/40/17
Cleared Headlights
Tint all around
Dual 12'' Alpine Type-S Subs
Kenwood KAC-728S Amp