Navi Conversion - Pioneer AVC-RGB1 Group-Buy...Interested?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 04:09 PM
TRELOS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navi Conversion - Pioneer AVC-RGB1 Group-Buy...Interested?

Moderators plz allow this to stay, and if possible make it sticky. It will only be here for a short while.

I met a guy who has Pioneer AVC-RGB1s for sale new in box, and have never been touched and are NOT refurbished.This guy is willing to do a group buy buy we haven't discussed the finial price yet because I don't know how many I can get off his hands, teh higher the number there better the price. The starting price is $275 and with a group buy large enough can go down quite considerably.

If anyone is interested PM me or EM me.

Any info on it here:
http://www.angelfire.com/super/types...onversion.html
Old 11-19-2002, 06:47 PM
Racer

I'm in!

How about the installation? Any quotes on that?
Old 11-19-2002, 08:07 PM
Drifting

I am somewhat interested. What I'm curious about is where can I purchase the wire that connects the navi screen to the navi unit incase something happens and i need warranty work.
Old 11-19-2002, 11:23 PM
Instructor

yeah id be in, but my concerns are of install also
Old 11-20-2002, 07:50 AM
whoXwanXsum

im down. im sure a shop here in houston can do it.
Old 11-20-2002, 10:27 AM
Racer

im in also
Old 11-20-2002, 12:36 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
don't forget to buy this new sound module http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...threadid=82933

do NOT get an RF modulator !!!!

i get my new aux. input thing today UPS! woo hoo!
Old 11-20-2002, 01:41 PM
2001 Black CL-S

Im interested as well
Old 11-20-2002, 05:36 PM
TRELOS

Originally posted by TypeSDragoon
don't forget to buy this new sound module http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...threadid=82933

do NOT get an RF modulator !!!!

i get my new aux. input thing today UPS! woo hoo!

Tnx Type-S. I will get that myself.

Juker008
Old 11-20-2002, 05:39 PM
TRELOS

Guys,

I called my dealer and asked them if installing a RGB1. The answer was ' it should NOT" ' void warranty. The explination that I got was that it does not directly affect the Navi screen nor the Navi DVD system.

Juker008
Old 11-20-2002, 06:25 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Juker008
Guys,

I called my dealer and asked them if installing a RGB1. The answer was ' it should NOT" ' void warranty. The explination that I got was that it does not directly affect the Navi screen nor the Navi DVD system.

Juker008
Yea they say that when you have no problems with it...just wait until you bring it to them for warranty related service.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:58 PM
Fell off my Rocking-Chair

do the navi conversion if u wanna pay for any navi-related problem u'll face in the future with or w/o warranty existing

9/10 bastards (dealers) will MOST DEFINETLY try to pin u for it
Old 11-20-2002, 10:13 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

Tnx Type-S. I will get that myself.

Juker008
i got the Blitz Auxilary input thing today! it took all of five minutes to just plug it in the back of my stereo! the sound is so good! no more crappy ass hissing noises like the RF modulator!

this thing is a MUST with the AVC-RGB1! i'm going to change my instructions to say to get this thing.

very very very very happy!
Old 11-21-2002, 09:50 AM
Racer X

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
im interested.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:15 AM
Professional Pimp

Has anyone found equivilent parts for the Pioneer AVC-RGB1? Other than GEX7000?
Old 11-21-2002, 11:22 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Squishy
I don't see why *any* composte to RGB converted won't work...

Most of them at sub $100, I'll see if I can find one locally.

Might take some minor mods, depending on the design.
Old 11-21-2002, 12:22 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

Originally posted by SiGGy
I don't see why *any* composte to RGB converted won't work...

Most of them at sub $100, I'll see if I can find one locally.

Might take some minor mods, depending on the design.
because it requires a Horizontal and Vertical Sync. you cannot "micky mouse" it and try to plug a composite video into the RGB going to the screen. you need the H and V sync's. i'm not completely sure of the technical side of it. do a search and you might get your answer on WHY you need the converter. you cannot do it without the converter.
Old 11-21-2002, 12:22 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

Ron at StreetEffectz has made a new converter. contact him about it.
Old 11-21-2002, 12:25 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

here is a PM reply i sent to Juker008 regarding the sound devices:

there are only 3 ways to get sound.

1. RF modulator which is so horrible and embarassing. the sound is so hissy. it's seriously the worst sound eVER! when i play a DVD on my PS2 while driving on the freeway, the sound is so horrible and low volume that you can't hear a damn word they are saying! another thing about it is that it automatically turns itself off after 15 seconds if there is no signal. which means that when there is a silent part in a movie for 15 seconds, it will turn itself off and your stereo will blast at full volume!!!!!!!! $35-75 worthless dollars, 20 minute install which includes running power wires and a ground to the unit.

2. the famed Sony Switch which is not being produced anymore. this thing would take several hours of cutting wires on your amp and routing them to this sony switch and then routing them back to the amp. it's very very complicated and takes hours to do. $i dunno price. but will probably be over $100 PLUS 5 hours of cutting wires.

3. the blitz adapter! it plugs directly into the open spot on your stereo and that's it! then you just hit the CD button twice to acces the AUX input and your all set! it takes about 5 minutes to remove the wall thing on the center console, then you can just get your hand behind your stereo enough to plug it in. it does NOT require power wires at all! just plug it in! and it will NOT automatically turn itself off! it's awesome! $75 dollars

so, in conclusion, get the blitz adapter. it's the ONLY way you are going to get sound.
Old 11-21-2002, 01:07 PM
Moderator Alumnus

because it requires a Horizontal and Vertical Sync. you cannot "micky mouse" it and try to plug a composite video into the RGB going to the screen. you need the H and V sync's. i'm not completely sure of the technical side of it. do a search and you might get your answer on WHY you need the converter. you cannot do it without the converter.
so your saying you don't know...

And FYI most all of them have both h-and v sync. Which is usually either driven in the green signal. Or run seperately.

All video need a H and V sync... unless it's digital or fixed.

If you read my post, I KNOW you need a converter. DUH Ya, mabye I can find out why the panasonic one...

Your taking the compsite signal and converting it out to RGB seperated along with the sync's...

As the composite contains both the chroma and luminace in the same wire/signal...

Not rocket science here, just converting from composite to RGB. However the sync(s) may need to be addressed. But I doubt very much... Lots of Composite to RGB converters...
Old 11-21-2002, 02:33 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

Originally posted by SiGGy
so your saying you don't know...

And FYI most all of them have both h-and v sync. Which is usually either driven in the green signal. Or run seperately.

All video need a H and V sync... unless it's digital or fixed.

If you read my post, I KNOW you need a converter. DUH Ya, mabye I can find out why the panasonic one...

Your taking the compsite signal and converting it out to RGB seperated along with the sync's...

As the composite contains both the chroma and luminace in the same wire/signal...

Not rocket science here, just converting from composite to RGB. However the sync(s) may need to be addressed. But I doubt very much... Lots of Composite to RGB converters...
what was the exact point of all the little periods after EVERY sentence? smartass or something? ....

for christ sake, i take the time to tell you guys all the info i know, and if you don't like my info then why make smartass comments back to me? i deserve a little bit of respect for the amount of time i've given in answering question and telling people as much as i can about the Nav Conversion subject. if you want to be a little bitch about it then you better not aim it at the guy that is helping everybody out. i've spent many many many hours in typing my instructions, talking on the phone with people, emailing people, instant messaging, personal messaging, and even driving a few hours to meet with a few people to help them with their conversion.

you are welcome....

Old 11-21-2002, 02:46 PM
Racer

what was the exact point of all the little periods after EVERY sentence? smartass or something? ....

for christ sake, i take the time to tell you guys all the info i know, and if you don't like my info then why make smartass comments back to me? i deserve a little bit of respect for the amount of time i've given in answering question and telling people as much as i can about the Nav Conversion subject. if you want to be a little bitch about it then you better not aim it at the guy that is helping everybody out. i've spent many many many hours in typing my instructions, talking on the phone with people, emailing people, instant messaging, personal messaging, and even driving a few hours to meet with a few people to help them with their conversion.

you are welcome....

Siggy: TypeSDragoon has put alot more into this website than he has taken. His insight in the field of electronics is invaluable!

Furthermore, your comments were an innapropriate response to such an informative, well thought-out, and detailed explanation.

TypeSDragoon, don't sweat him man!
Old 11-21-2002, 03:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Gabo3k
Siggy: TypeSDragoon has put alot more into this website than he has taken. His insight in the field of electronics is invaluable!

Furthermore, your comments were an innapropriate response to such an informative, well thought-out, and detailed explanation.

TypeSDragoon, don't sweat him man!
Where is the well thought-out information.

He pretty much said nothing in reference to what I had posted. Accept use the search function.

EDIT:

I see his last response. Which says to talk to Ron. I think I will.

$300 seems awefully expensive considering the chips that do it are about $20 a piece.
Old 11-21-2002, 03:18 PM
Moderator Alumnus

you are welcome....

I didn't mean to take anything away from you.

my "..." are me thinking, a bad habbit I guess.

However your answer was really, I don't know, I don't undertstand how it works. Do a search.

I was looking for a little more than that.

I do appreciate your other efforts on this board. My intentions were not to piss you off.
Old 11-21-2002, 03:31 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

the reason i say to contact Ron is because i "think" he is the one that made the new version of the AVC-RGB1 unit. i remember seeing something about it not too long ago. it works the exact same as the Pioneer unit only it has a few added things like brightness/contrast control and maybe something else.

sorry, but when it comes to remembering things, it's a little difficult for me. i have a shitty heart problem that makes me forget TONS of things all the time.

i wasn't being an ass when i said to do a search, i was merely saying that beyond the information that i provided, more can be found if you search for it. hopefully some of the discussions in the past can still be found. i've seen and heard almost every question that can be asked about this subject and they have all been answered at one point or another.

another good thing to go look for is on the TL site in the audio forum, they seem to have WAY more information on these type of subjects.

and if you think you can make a coverter for less money, then make sure you add in some s-video inputs and i might upgrade!
Old 11-21-2002, 03:38 PM
Moderator Alumnus

the reason i say to contact Ron is because i "think" he is the one that made the new version of the AVC-RGB1 unit. i remember seeing something about it not too long ago. it works the exact same as the Pioneer unit only it has a few added things like brightness/contrast control and maybe something else.

sorry, but when it comes to remembering things, it's a little difficult for me. i have a shitty heart problem that makes me forget TONS of things all the time.

i wasn't being an ass when i said to do a search, i was merely saying that beyond the information that i provided, more can be found if you search for it. hopefully some of the discussions in the past can still be found. i've seen and heard almost every question that can be asked about this subject and they have all been answered at one point or another.

another good thing to go look for is on the TL site in the audio forum, they seem to have WAY more information on these type of subjects.

and if you think you can make a coverter for less money, then make sure you add in some s-video inputs and i might upgrade!
S-video would be sweet. All of the chips/schematics I have found only do either Composite or S-Video. Could be done. But it'd be a bit tricky with both composite and s-video.

Ya the schematic I have in front of me has contrast,brightness & saturation. I wonder what chip he's using.

The entire converter schematic im looking at is about 50 pieces in total. Only problem is this Phillips TDA3566A chip seems to be discontinued. But I bet someone else makes a similar one.

http://www-us.semiconductors.philips.../pip/TDA3566A/

Thanks for all the input

Saying I find the time to find an equivalent chip, and create this thing. I'll let ya know about s-video.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:07 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

well, what you could do is just make the converter itself S-Video input ONLY. then, you just buy a $1 s-video to composite plug adapter to use
Old 11-21-2002, 06:10 PM
Professional Pimp

But that wouldn't be True S-Video... and I would agree that the chips are only $20. If someone can stick a oscilloscope and voltimeters up to the current Panasonic unit, let's measure the exact specs. Don't want to build a circut that would exceed teh voltage and sync frequencies to blow your navi screen. Other than that, I think we could probably start ripping stuff out of like small portable LCD tvs or whatever you can find.... I like hacking my way into electronics. This would be fun... how many engineers do we have on this board to make this worthwhile?
Old 11-22-2002, 11:22 AM
TRELOS

Come on guys we are almost there. All we need are 8 more buyers to get this group buy completed. There has got to be 8 more people out there that have navi and want a converter.

Juker008
Old 11-22-2002, 11:31 AM
Evil Bob Knieval

i think the problem is the "hassle" of install it scares people to think that they have to either do it themselves and spend a bunch of hours cutting wires, or to pay somebody several hundred dollars to do it for them

it's worth it!!
Old 11-22-2002, 12:19 PM
Moderator Alumnus

But that wouldn't be True S-Video... and I would agree that the chips are only $20. If someone can stick a oscilloscope and voltimeters up to the current Panasonic unit, let's measure the exact specs. Don't want to build a circut that would exceed teh voltage and sync frequencies to blow your navi screen. Other than that, I think we could probably start ripping stuff out of like small portable LCD tvs or whatever you can find.... I like hacking my way into electronics. This would be fun... how many engineers do we have on this board to make this worthwhile?
Well, they shouldn't be needed... Plenty of them (inlcuding myself) around me... Just have to see if any of them want to spend the time to do it with me.

It would have to be a composite to s-video adapter. Which funny enough Is similar to what the composite to RGB converter does.

RGB signaling is pretty standardized, to fry the screen would take some work.
Old 11-22-2002, 02:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Siggy, just shut up and go find an alternative..if you're successful then you can come back and say whatever you want. Right now, all you do is talk (and looks like it's coming out of your a$$). So until you achieved what you said, just shut up cuz nobody really cares with all the non sense BS.
Old 11-22-2002, 02:28 PM
TRELOS

Siggy,

If u want how bout u come up with a cheaper way to connect our audio to our factory radio w/o having to speend $60-$75 for another product. I think that many people here would greatly appreciate that.

Juker008
Old 11-22-2002, 03:24 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

Originally posted by randomwalk101
Siggy, just shut up and go find an alternative..if you're successful then you can come back and say whatever you want. Right now, all you do is talk (and looks like it's coming out of your a$$). So until you achieved what you said, just shut up cuz nobody really cares with all the non sense BS.
I think it's good that he is typing what's on his mind, because then somebody might have an idea on top of what he said that could potentially help out with something

and maybe he will make a cheaper/just as good alternative to the AVC-RGB1 or even the audio unit.

it's guys like him with an idea in his head that are the ones you want to hear and listen to
Old 11-23-2002, 01:15 AM
Racer

I'm up for the group buy, how much is it
Old 11-23-2002, 11:21 AM
TRELOS

The Price is $275 as of right now. I need to get at least 20 buyers to get this groupbuy.

Come on guys all we need now are 6 more buyers. We can do this, get the word out to eveybody.

Juker008
Old 11-23-2002, 11:22 AM
Pro

Im down for ONE

nameeri@yahoo.com
Old 11-23-2002, 04:41 PM
Race Director

Allow me to weigh in on this topic for a bit...having just started reading. Please excuse the "....", I do it all the time....see.....

Anyway I have had the RGB-1 installed and playing movies on my 01 CLS Navi since summer 2001 and it is still going strong.

I remember when this first came out and then RGB-1 disappeared and dozens of people were wanting one. Now is the time to get yours. If you have doubts, let me see if I can answer some of those questions having played literally hundreds of hours on mine. Here's my top 6....

1.Remember you must have a DVD player. A cheap one can be had from Target for about $99.

2.If you are afraid of the installation part, DON'T BE. With Ron's help, I managed to install the product by myself way out here in Kansas. Doesn't matter where you are located. With the amount of help that you can receive from this forum (and from me and others like Dragoon), with email, digital cameras, etc. you can do this yourself without the aid of a master electrician or your local experts. It is easy. The hard part is:

3.Taking that RBG-1 box, opening it, and modifying the wires. I didn't do mine myself, it came already re-wired by the previous owner. This requires soldering and while it is not particularly difficult, it might prove a bit challenging for some. I suggest whoever does the group buy, collect all the units, have them rewired, and then sent out (for a price?)

4.This operation WILL void your warranty. Make no mistake about it, if you have Navi problems and you take your car in and they see this modification, they will not be paying for it. That's the bad news. The good news is that you can uninstall this modification and then you shouldn't have any problems. All that is required is for you to splice a few wires by colour and you don't have to remove the Navi or any other component. Just remove the plug from the main unit in the rear (accessible from the trunk), splice, and then reinsert plug. If you manage to screw up, you can easily repair and continue. If you screw up badly, you can get another wire harness (pricey?) and you're good to go. Shouldn't be any damage whatsoever to your equipment. Over a year and so far no adverse affect on my Navi screen or it's operation.

5.You can do the installation in pieces over time. Took me several months to finalize mine because I have a rearview camera, an optional laptop computer hookup, a second rearseat display, and a screen in the visor. Several switches and hooks allow me to mix and match, on and off, etc. Took me about 2 months because not only was I taking my time, it was terribly hot here in Kansas in the summer. YMMV

6.A quick note on the audio/sound. I have the RF modulator and I completely advocate the use of the blitzsafe device because at first my RF modulator needed a lot of help. Hopefully my blitzsafe will arrive soon. Anyway I want to give the facts as I have seen them. My RF modulator (there are different types) never turns off, I have a switch that turns ON and turns OFF. Mine seems to be the exception because the sound is pretty good (ask Siggy and Fotis). I'm an old guy so I don't need it blasting while I'm talking on the cellphone with the windows down. 85% of the time it is adequate. The key is to have a good source. DVDs always sound good and if you record your own movies/music videos, do like I did. Use Super VCD only and crank up the volume BEFORE you burn it. When I up the volume to max on my stereo, it is actually too loud and become distorted. I will sell my rf modulator for about $10 for those who are trying to minimize expensive and not so concerned about sound (once I get blitzsafe).

That's it....!
Old 11-23-2002, 06:36 PM
TRELOS

Tnx for ur input kensteele. As far as modding all of them before I ship them out is gonna be too time consuming on my part. Also I can't take the responsibility of modding someone's and them coming back ocmplaining that somethings wrong. I would rather have the buyers do the mod themselves. Just in case anything goes wrong they will know how to fix it because they were the ones who put the RGB1 together in the 1st place.

Juker008
Old 11-24-2002, 01:23 PM
Race Director

Tnx for ur input kensteele. As far as modding all of them before I ship them out is gonna be too time consuming on my part. Also I can't take the responsibility of modding someone's and them coming back ocmplaining that somethings wrong. I would rather have the buyers do the mod themselves. Just in case anything goes wrong they will know how to fix it because they were the ones who put the RGB1 together in the 1st place.

Juker008
That's true. I wouldn't want to take responsibility for that mod either. Seems to me that the easiest place for something to go wrong. Is this posted in ATL? I have a friend with a TL who might want one....

Quick Reply: Navi Conversion - Pioneer AVC-RGB1 Group-Buy...Interested?