Is the Navi any good?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2001, 05:39 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the Navi any good?

I know I have been asking alot of questions but I am brobably not the only one that would like to know these things. Does the navi work really good like Acura and the Reviews say. Or is it slow loading and not allways good at finding places? Because I want to Get a 2002 CL-S with the Navi when it comes out and when I turn 18 years old .
Old 08-12-2001, 06:01 PM
Banned

I love it. I never get lost anymore. If you just drive to and from work every day, its probably not worth it. But if you ever go to other cities, or even different parts of Ft. Lauderdale that you're not familiar with, its a real life saver.
Old 08-12-2001, 06:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 699 Likes on 541 Posts
I agree, you only realy need navi if you travel a lot to the unknown places. If 99% of your driving is over the same destinations, I would not buy it.
Old 08-12-2001, 06:06 PM
Kill the Chicken heads

I disagree, i dont do a lot of traveling, but, the navi looks soooo damn cool. just get it. oh, and it works great
Old 08-12-2001, 06:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 699 Likes on 541 Posts
Originally posted by Type S Smokes All:
<STRONG>I disagree, i dont do a lot of traveling, but, the navi looks soooo damn cool. just get it. oh, and it works great</STRONG>
I would not pay extra money for something that I dont use and just because it looks nice on interior
Old 08-12-2001, 09:17 PM
Instructor

It works great. BUT... there's one major ergonomic problem, and that is you can't see the freakin' thing with your sunroof open! And guess what? It's not just the NAVI functions that you can't see -- it's your heating & A/C controls (ya know, like the blower speed control?) To make matters worse, unless they change it for 2002, you have to be able read the screen so you can touch it to change its intensity. (It's sort of a Catch-22: you gotta see the screen so that you can make it darker so that you can see the screen...) On the new Acura MDX, they did it the right way: there's a separate three position mechanical brightness switch to the left of the screen that lets you do this.

That having been said, the NAVI system has saved my sorry ass from getting really lost a bunch of times, and I don't travel to far-away places. Ever hear of traffic jams and looking for alternate routing? It's not perfect, but I kinda love it. You also gotta be careful to watch the road--it's potentially more dangerous than a cell phone.

By the way sonny, my question for you is: How the hell are U gonna afford this car? I'm finally able to drive one after bein' on this rock 50+ years! If and when you do get one, it's gonnna be really tough to drive it responsibly. I know, I'm one of those middle-aged jerks out on the road reliving my 20's.

Always wear your seatbelt & make sure your passenger riding "shotgun" does too...

[ 08-12-2001: Message edited by: technoid ]
Old 08-12-2001, 09:42 PM
Team Owner

The NAV works great….You WILL regret not buying it.

Shawn S
Old 08-12-2001, 10:03 PM
Advanced

If you are about to turn 18 and getting a new CL I assume the 'rents are buying. Go nav. - it is fun and someday you will be buying your own cars and will look back and say - "shit, why didn't I go for it all when the rents were paying!!" Mine is the voice of experience so listen up!! In 1973 my parents said - "get any car you want and we will pay" - I was an undergrad. at the time - so what did I want above all else?? A VW bug (super beetle)!!! Let the rest be history!! (But I loved my bug and in my mind there are no regrets- especially with my 2 day old 1991 CL-S, with NAVIGATION, Aegean Blue/Ebony interior)!! GO FOR IT!!!

Rustito
Old 08-12-2001, 10:06 PM
Powered By HONDA

i prefer non navi.cause i am not travelling a lot and i know most places surrounding me..besides there is 2000 dollars more..besides canada model does not have any navi car as an option..they do not have navi system here...
Old 08-12-2001, 10:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by technoid:
<STRONG>On the new Acura MDX, they did it the right way: there's a separate three position mechanical brightness switch to the left of the screen that lets you do this</STRONG>
Not true. The MDX navi is identical to the CL-S navi accept that it has a "bread crumbs" feature for off-road tracking and has a "trip computer" that calculates average MPG and MPG history. You may be thinking about the non-navi MDX which has a b/w screen where the navi normally is that only contains a trip computer and a compass.
Old 08-12-2001, 11:41 PM
Race Director

I have never, ever, never been is a position that I could not read my Navi for more than a minute a two.

As with everything on this planet, it is not 100%, there are times when you cannot read your stereo or your speedometer, or whatever. Sometimes the sun is a bitch. But it has never been for more than a minute or two. Anyone who says you can't see the Navi doesn't have one because they would know that the glare is temporary and short lived. Besides you can push and hold the joystick to change the brightness.

Secondly, if anyone says the A/C controls are a pain, then again, they don't have the Navi because if they did, they would know that any moron can control and use the A/C conveniently the few times you do need to manipulate the climate control.

I say get the Navi. The Navi is not designed for long road trip or travel, the navi is not designed for driving in unfamiliar places, the navi is not for interior good looks. It is for everyday use when needed. A lot like a cellphone. You have one with you all the time even though you don't have to make calls, etc. Those who say don't get the Navi are saying the same thing they said about cellphones a decade ago. "I don't need one." Well today, there isn't anyone without one and the situation hasn't really changed. Same with the Navi. The timing might not be exactly right, but it's coming...soon.

[ 08-12-2001: Message edited by: kensteele ]
Old 08-13-2001, 01:00 AM
Instructor

kensteele,

"Moron"? "...doesn't have one"? Can you read a "sig"? Then re-read my sig, and afterwards you can read the papers my attorney will be serving you for the libel lawsuit I'm filing tomorrow.

Unlike you, I'm not stupid enuf to be just "any moron," who can operate the Navi system -- I'm only a systems analyst (duh) on the East coast. (Toto, it looks like we're not in Kansas anymore. Maybe Dorothy could have used a NAVI?) You really pissed me off and just about lost your credibility when you started flaming me. Was that really necessary?

However, I may forgive you, since I didn't realize that it may be possible to use the joy stick to vary the screen's brightness without having to go to the "setup" screen by touching the "setup" button. I'll go check it out tomorrow, and, if you're correct, I may let you live.
Old 08-13-2001, 02:59 AM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry, it's still not worth 2k. The entire
" S " upgrade is 2k, now that's a deal. Save your money,imho.
Old 08-13-2001, 03:22 AM
My other car is a 350Z

<STRONG>It works great. BUT... there's one major ergonomic problem, and that is you can't see the freakin' thing with your sunroof open! And guess what? It's not just the NAVI functions that you can't see -- it's your heating & A/C controls (ya know, like the blower speed control</STRONG>
<SNIP>

Although my car doesn't have the Navi (no regrets), I highly recommend you get a 5% tint on the moonroof. Then you can keep the sunshade open all the time with NO GLARE...just a nice amount of ambient light
Old 08-13-2001, 03:28 AM
Instructor

Say, Red,

The NAVI is expensive, but if you've got $$ to burn, and love electronic toys, it's a real hoot. When I've needed it, it's been a real help. Given the choice, I'd still choose to have the Navi option, even if certain posters (read: kensteele) to this forum get assaholic in their fervor endorsing it.

BTW, I see ya have Comptech headers and sways - good choices. And I noticed that you upgraded from your OEM rubber to the Toyo TS-1 Proxes on your factory rims. Did you stay with the stock 215/50's or go to a different size? And, since you saved all that $$ not gettinng the NAVI, why didn't you upgrade your rims? Are you thinking about "slamming" your car next with the leftover bucks? Hmmm...
Old 08-13-2001, 03:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

I recommend getting it. I don't use the navi everyday but it has come in handy enough to say it is worth getting. This is my 2nd CLS and the first did not have navi. I ask myself why I didn't get it on the first one. If you can get a good deal I also recommend getting a 2001. You'll probably save a great deal of money.
Old 08-13-2001, 03:52 AM
Subie Dubie

<STRONG>Say, Red,

The NAVI is expensive, but if you've got $$ to burn, and love electronic toys, it's a real hoot. When I've needed it, it's been a real help. Given the choice, I'd still choose to have the Navi option, even if certain posters (read: kensteele) to this forum get assaholic in their fervor endorsing it.

BTW, I see ya have Comptech headers and sways - good choices. And I noticed that you upgraded from your OEM rubber to the Toyo TS-1 Proxes on your factory rims. Did you stay with the stock 215/50's or go to a different size? And, since you saved all that $$ not gettinng the NAVI, why didn't you upgrade your rims? Are you thinking about "slamming" your car next with the leftover bucks? Hmmm... </STRONG>
Technoid, yeah i stayed with the 215-50s. I would have gone 225-45 but without springs the 4x4 gap we have would have been even worse with 45 series. I am on a modification budget and can only do so much at a time. My plan was to immediately get the extra H.P. of the headers, and add a suspension mod in the sways which worked fantastic. The sways made it clear that the stock rubber had to go, that's where the Toyos came in. Tomorrow i get the AEM CAI installed for a little more power and sound. My next mods will be in a few months and then i will do the Comptech springs and Koni yellows at the same time. When these Toyos go in 20k or so i'll replace the stock wheels and upgrade to wider, lower rubber. Maybe then i'll be done, unless i add the Comptech exhaust, and then there's the supercharger !!
Old 08-13-2001, 04:51 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Red Rider

Technoid, yeah i stayed with the 215-50s. I would have gone 225-45 but without springs the 4x4 gap we have would have been even worse with 45 series. I am on a modification budget and can only do so much at a time. My plan was to immediately get the extra H.P. of the headers, and add a suspension mod in the sways which worked fantastic. The sways made it clear that the stock rubber had to go, that's where the Toyos came in. Tomorrow i get the AEM CAI installed for a little more power and sound. My next mods will be in a few months and then i will do the Comptech springs and Koni yellows at the same time. When these Toyos go in 20k or so i'll replace the stock wheels and upgrade to wider, lower rubber. Maybe then i'll be done, unless i add the Comptech exhaust, and then there's the supercharger !!
Red,

Sounds like you've got a really good, practical upgrade plan. (Well, maybe the supercharger is gonna be a bit pricey...) However, I'm not so sure about the cost effectiveness of the Comptech catback exhaust. I've been reading the threads, and feel that our stock exhaust is pretty efficient and it sounds good to me. The Comptech exhaust seems to be strictly an expensive cosmetic add-on that doesn't add any significant HP (1 or 2??). Shouldn't we be waitin' for Borla to eventually come out with something?

[ 08-13-2001: Message edited by: technoid ]
Old 08-13-2001, 06:43 PM
Red X

when i get my car, it definately has to have the navi. i gotta hook up a ps2 in there. have to do something with the bad bay area traffic.
Old 08-13-2001, 07:15 PM
Advanced

When I purchased my CL Type S I was debating whether to get the Navi or not. When I finally dropped the cash I decided what the hell, I might as well since the car comes with everything else standard! All I can say is the system works great! I don't go out of state with my car but if any of you guys have tried to get around Chicago lately you know that it's been a pain. I've used my Navi to find local places without resorting to mapquest or asking for directions. Also, all of my friends and family think I'm a techie for having it in my car. I say to anyone who is interested in getting a CL since almost everything is standard do yourself a favor and get the Nav, trust me, you won't regret it!
Old 08-13-2001, 08:22 PM
Any Lady Want One??? :-P

Well people keep saying that the navi is too much and they dont regret buying it. Well I do. I want the navi bad. I say get the Navi then save up about 500 to 1000 bucks and talk to Street about the Decoder Thats what I call a real Navi.
Old 08-14-2001, 01:21 AM
Race Director

I'm just getting back here to read this; technoid, I wasn't calling you a moron. Relax. But I didn't get served papers....

Did you use the joystick? There were a lot of other comments in this thread, my reply wasn't aimed at you. You have the Navi, you enjoy it, that's great. My comments were probably a carryover from earlier thread where this kept coming up, again and again, about regret.

Anyway, you don't have the Navi is a general term mean you don't know how to use the Navi and I don't mean YOU technoid but YOU third person.

Ok, who the hell is Toto and why is he trying to use the Navi? Why does everyone think Kansas is country and backwards? Kansas is a great place.....
Old 08-14-2001, 01:51 AM
Adult Supervision

I hate mine. Whatever I punch in, it keeps directing me to strip clubs. And then the "Not an Ashtray" opens and spits dollar bills out..it sucks and I wish I never got the Nav.

(I'm really getting tired of answering this question...)
Old 08-14-2001, 01:57 AM
Banned

Originally posted by MikeS 18:
<STRONG>I hate mine. Whatever I punch in, it keeps directing me to strip clubs.</STRONG>
Tough problem to have.
Old 08-14-2001, 02:48 AM
Instructor

originally posted by kensteele:
I'm just getting back here to read this; technoid, I wasn't calling you a moron. Relax. But I didn't get served papers....
Did you use the joystick? There were a lot of other comments in this thread, my reply wasn't aimed at you. You have the Navi, you enjoy it, that's great. My comments were probably a carryover from earlier thread where this kept coming up, again and again, about regret.

Anyway, you don't have the Navi is a general term mean you don't know how to use the Navi and I don't mean YOU technoid but YOU third person.

Ok, who the hell is Toto and why is he trying to use the Navi? Why does everyone think Kansas is country and backwards? Kansas is a great place.....
You're from Kansas and you don't know who Toto was? You're kidding, right? For the illegal alien forum members who are hiding from La Migra, Toto was Dorothy's dog in the movie classic "The Wizard of Oz," which starts out and ends in Kansas, as every red-blooded American boy and girl knows.

BTW, I tried like hell to use just the "joystick" to get into "setup" and it ain't a fact, Jack. You gotta feel around and TOUCH the "setup" button on the screen that you're in to get into the "Setup" screen to change the current screen's display intensity. So, perhaps you could explain to me exactly how YOU bypass that little feature?
Old 08-14-2001, 03:52 AM
Subie Dubie

<STRONG>

Red,

Sounds like you've got a really good, practical upgrade plan. (Well, maybe the supercharger is gonna be a bit pricey...) However, I'm not so sure about the cost effectiveness of the Comptech catback exhaust. I've been reading the threads, and feel that our stock exhaust is pretty efficient and it sounds good to me. The Comptech exhaust seems to be strictly an expensive cosmetic add-on that doesn't add any significant HP (1 or 2??). Shouldn't we be waitin' for Borla to eventually come out with something?

[ 08-13-2001: Message edited by: technoid ]</STRONG>
Technoid, i've had Borla before, on a turbo charged Merkur XR4TI, and it really made a big difference. But on the CL-S from what i understand, no upgrade will add more than 4 or 5 H.P. A couple of my Sacramento buddies have the Comptechs and i really do like the look and they sound a bit more agressive without being over the top. I will get them, but not before finishing the suspension.
Old 08-14-2001, 11:10 AM
Burning Brakes

2002 3.2CL:

I see it as an unqualified no-brainer. Get Navi.

The following reasons are far from complete and most have been mentioned by enlightened others:

1) I reason that you are now on a computer reading this thread. Therefore (imho) getting such a practical electronic toy such as Navi follows. If your inclined towards electronic things than how could you NOT get the Navi?

2) The Navi has helped me both on long trips (finding alternate routes when traffic abounds) and much more for me mostly on short trips (like finding some building that you've never visited or finding some address on dark rainy hard-to-see nights).

3) Very helpful since I'm near NYC is finding particular POI's. (Points Of Interest). For example your inching your way down 9th avenue from way uptown. Suddenly you get the urge for some quick cheap Eyetalian food and you spot an Olive Garden restaurant. (Please don't flame) But, you would rather eat at an Olive Garden way downtown where you going anyways. Well you can have Navi list the Olive Gardens for you both near and far and you can then choose and let Navi lead you to the one you want.

4) You know when you hear "at the tone the time will be 9:30" on the radio. Well at the tone your clock will definitely have the absolute correct time.

5) Your driving through one of those lovely small towns as found in most states on a long trip. But your not very sure as to exactly where you are or if you could get back to the same exact spot. While you continue driving you pass an antique store and you notice that the owner doesn't know that the Monet for sale in the window at $5 is not a copy! Since the shop isn't open at that time you allow Navi to "store" that shops location as longitude/latitude coords. First thing Monday morning your waiting for the shop owner to open up for you, the first customer of the day.

6) I have never been unable to read Navi's screen. Perhaps having glare on the screen is a function of seat positioning? Never-the-less if you've lost screen visibility when using Navi directions capabilities then Claire (my name for Navi's voice) will clearly talk you through your route. Incidently "she" will lower the radio/CD/tape player when speaking to you. You will yearn to hear her voice. I love her. :p

7) Although not investigated by myself I believe that the cars resale value can only be increased by having Navi.

8) Again the following has no real objectivity as it only addresses the looks of the interior but the Navi screen "seems" to give the cars interior a smarter modern appearance.

9) And mostly useless to most is that Navi can somewhat accurately provide both longtitudinal and latitudinal coordinates.

10) Most importantly (imho) and as mentioned by many others is that if you opt for going Navi-less you will always wonder what if I did?....

Good luck and enjoy your car.

[ 08-14-2001: Message edited by: Al Uminum ]
Old 08-14-2001, 10:53 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Get the NAV.

You say, 'well, gee, I only drive to X number of places and I know how to get there.' Well, Once you have the NAV you'll have the full luxury of driving your car anywhere you damn well please!

Last sunday one of my friends wanted to get away from the city, so we just drove all over the place in upstate new york. No real destination, just drove along the coast, and went through some small towns. Very very fun, and exciting to be hitting random places! The CL was meant to be DRIVEN!!

Oh yeah, and Chicks DIG the NAV. $2K is worth having the women say, 'I want to drive there in THAT car!!'

(Oh, and if you're a woman and thinking of the NAV us guys think it's really damn cool, too!! )
Old 08-14-2001, 11:05 PM
Burning Brakes

nice feature if your car is stolen acura will no were it at
Old 08-14-2001, 11:22 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by johntypes:
<STRONG>nice feature if your car is stolen acura will no were it at</STRONG>
Sorry…Wrong answer try again.

I think you are getting it confused with the aftermarket “LO-JACK” system.

The NAV can only RECEIVE signals from the satellites, it has no way of broadcasting its location.

Shawn S