My views on the 2003 6-Speed (Really LONG)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2002 | 07:35 PM
Team Owner

My views on the 2003 6-Speed (Really LONG)

OK, as the certifiable BIGGEST CRYBABY of them all about the SUCK-ASS Auto Slush-Box I think I deserve to post my “review” in its own post.

Here I go……

SIX SPEED A+++
Love ya ACURA !!!!
You must have been reading my posts here from way back complaining about the Auto.

Body Changes B-
I’ll give Acura a B- here because I was expecting a bit more.
I’m actually thinking about changing my order from RED to BLUE because only an Acura NUT is going to be able to see that I even bought a new car.
I like the minor changes, but was expecting MORE in the way of front redesign.
I have no problem with the OnStar “nipple” on the roof.

Engine ???
What’s to say? No changes really.
Would have been nice to see 280 or 290HP, but think about it, that’s only like a 10% boost.
I’ve seen the Dyno’s of the 2001 and the autos are anywhere from 190 to 200 STOCK and somewhere over 230+ with Headers & CAI.
The way I look at it, I’m predicting that the STOCK 6-Speed should be around 220 to the ground on delivery.
Add Headers & CAI and we should be around a TRUE 240-260.
There’s your extra Horsepower.

Fog Lights:
Who gives a flying F*** about fog lights.
There are already too many A-Holes driving around with stock and aftermarket lights BLAZING at all hours of the day.
I would guess that there would be some kind of option from the dealer available; otherwise there are plenty of aftermarket units that will fit in those big holes.
Or there’s always the design possibility of a custom CAI “breathing” through one of those openings.

Traction Control:
Kind of surprised that Acura did away with the VSA on the CL.
I think even the 95 6-Speed Legend Coupe had some kind of traction control on it.
I think the reason for doing away with it is that it would have been REAL intrusive when you did some “spirited” driving. And switching it OFF every time you start the car is a waste of time and development money if your not going to use it.
I’m concerned that this will make the car somewhat less capable in the SNOW, but I think an experienced driver with a clutch is better in the WHITE SHIT then a computer chip.

Interior design:
Love the shifter “look” and placement of the E-Brake.
The Type-S plate and shift position indicator are TITS !!!
Someone noted that the shifter looked a bit HIGH, but I was playing around on the way home in my car trying to simulate a manual and I think it is at the right height.
If the top of the ball were about where the AUTO is, it would be WAY too low.

Interior Trim:
This is where I’m torn.
I hate the infamous “bowling ball” trim and want a Parchment interior specifically because of that.
Now they have this aluminum look that I would like to see in person, but probably wont have a chance to until delivery.
I wonder if the Parchment still has the WOOD look or not?
BLUE or RED, I just don’t know.

Wheels:
Not bad, but 18" would have been nice.
I want CHROME and maybe I will just go aftermarket or CHROME plate over the stock wheels.

In conclusion, it’s overall what I was expecting with a few minor disappointments.
I look forward to getting my car in February or March.

I have to LAUGH out loud at many of the posts in the original 14-Page thread above.
Half of those people have no desire at all to drive a SIX SPEED and I’m sure many don’t even know how.
I’m sure the other half are probably back-ass-wards in their loans and they’re just angry that they didn’t wait to purchase.
But they have the nerve to SLAM Acura for not releasing a 300HP 4WD monster for 30K.

I’m buying the MANUAL for more control of the driving experience, not just for faster 0-60 times.

I’m shutting down to go watch my new DVD “The Fast and the Furious”.
I’ll check back here later tonight for any replies to this novel I have written.
More to write, but I’m ready for a BEER and some BASS.

Shawn S
Old 01-04-2002 | 07:43 PM
The Creator

heh, as i said... I agree...

its silly to slam Acura for anything theyve done here.

they really didnt change the design at all except for putting some paint here and there...

and they added a 6spd. what more could ya ask for.

in no way did they alienate current owners... all they did was give buyers a new tranny option that all of us were begging for. even if we didnt want the tranny... we want our car to have it simply for toilet rag reviews

shawn, its my understanding that parchment will still have wood trim, if you like the titanium, im sure the dealer will swap before you purchase, if not, you can paint your stock trim to match titanium, its easy.

i would say blue/parchment is a good choice.

mainly just because i think red/parchment is the most hideous color combination available. if it was red/brown or red/saddle or red/tan... ok... but the PARCHMENT and red just dont mix IMHO. (you will disagree )

but also, like you said, and like i already said before... only acura nuts will know the difference if you get red.

this is why i got a diff color second time around, even if im not buying a CL for the status, its never fun to drop several g's on a new car and have nobody but your significant other know.
Old 01-04-2002 | 07:54 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Shawn, i was led to believe that the changes would be more involved, sorry dude - i think the blue would be nice with the dark grill, i wouldn't notice that you had a new car either

now i think i have moisture problems with my headlamps and tailights, my wheels are all pitting, and my interior trim is discoloring, i guess i'll wait and have 2003 parts installed after the release date :P

YEAH RIGHT LIKE THAT WOULD FLY

anyway, i wonder how many people will swap lights to give the MY01 a new look?

as for the driving lights, you might see an accessory pkg like the RSX, maybe ovals in a housing to fit into the lower section of the bumper, if thats the case, they will be "real" and much brighter than MY01
Old 01-04-2002 | 07:55 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Shawn, if you ever get up into the Wilkes Barre area, drop by Motorworld with the new ride (of course after its been properly zaino'd)
Old 01-04-2002 | 07:57 PM
Race Director

Thanks for the review Shawn, that's great; exactly what I was looking for a summary (because I'm just now weighing in on this and I'm stuck with the dreaded dial-up modem for now).

It's great to hear that you're going to love your new car, that's what is important. While I'm not yet ready to switch, I'm excited to see what's going to happen and get a look first-hand in LA.
Old 01-04-2002 | 07:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I must say - Acura fell short in the "make the 6MT stand out from external appearance" category. Not that I am big in to importance of looks in a car, but limited edition is just gonna mean less people want and have it in this case.

Right on with your review Shawn S ... I am going Aegean blue with ebony interior (soopa - don't think you can get parchment with Aegean Blue). Go for the blue Shawn S - we can be twin acura-cl.com early adopter geeks

Anyway - now on to wait for the car to be at the dealer game. Hopefully they will have info on price and options soon - when do you think that will be?
Old 01-04-2002 | 08:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Shawn -- re: the VSA issue

I'll bet that you wouldn't be getting your car if they had spent the extra time messing with the VSA, limited slip, and manual issues.

At least it showed up.
Old 01-04-2002 | 08:06 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by acura_service
Shawn, i was led to believe that the changes would be more involved, sorry dude - i think the blue would be nice with the dark grill, i wouldn't notice that you had a new car either

as for the driving lights, you might see an accessory pkg like the RSX, maybe ovals in a housing to fit into the lower section of the bumper, if thats the case, they will be "real" and much brighter than MY01
acura_service - we all knew to take any forward info with a grain of salt ... it is just cool to know acura-cl.com is "hooked in" I am very happy with Acura and will love my new car ... can't wait to get back to a manual trans! I think blue is going to look the best with the new front end ... one of Acura's pictures with the front end on the Aegean blue looks awesome ... very much BMW (just like the new wheels which I happen to like more than the old).

I hope they do not do something cheesy like the Honda Odyssey fogs and have plastic spacers with little round fog lights, although function might make that better than two empty spaces
Old 01-04-2002 | 08:08 PM
Suzuka Master

good review shawn, if it was any one else I would of just merged it w/ the 14page thread.
Old 01-04-2002 | 08:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

This is my favorite pic they have released so far! You know this is what you want Shawn S!
Old 01-04-2002 | 08:33 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

I bet a lot of nay-sayers would change their opinions the second they felt a 5 to 2 downshift in the 2003 with headers and CAI!!!!!

Holy Mackeral will that thing move!!!!

Shawn, do yourself a favor and see if the dealer will credit you for new tires right on the spot. There is no need to even deal with the stock Michelins. Use your 16's for the winters and then get some super-soft 235's for the rest of the year.
Old 01-04-2002 | 08:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by JZ

Shawn, do yourself a favor and see if the dealer will credit you for new tires right on the spot. There is no need to even deal with the stock Michelins. Use your 16's for the winters and then get some super-soft 235's for the rest of the year.
JZ - I was thinking the same thing ... do a deal to just swap the tires right out of the gate. Then comes to choice - which ones
Old 01-04-2002 | 08:45 PM
Suzuka Master

[
Originally posted by provench

JZ - I was thinking the same thing ... do a deal to just swap the tires right out of the gate. Then comes to choice - which ones

Listen, without the VSA and even with the LSA, those stock Michelin oink-master tires will be squealing like a pack of piglets being chased by hatchets. IMO -- the 6-speed really needs some 235/45 or rubber with 7.5 to 8 inch wheels (heck, if the wheel wells fit it, I’d toss 245/40s in like Technique)
Old 01-04-2002 | 08:49 PM

Originally posted by JZ
I bet a lot of nay-sayers would change their opinions the second they felt a 5 to 2 downshift in the 2003 with headers and CAI!!!!!
Holy Mackeral will that thing move!!!!
Cant we do that now??? From D5 drop to 2?
Old 01-04-2002 | 09:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Paul

Cant we do that now??? From D5 drop to 2?
yes but it would have to go through 4th, then 3rd, then 2nd instead of just staright from 5 to 2.
Old 01-04-2002 | 09:04 PM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Good review

I am very happy with the acura decision. I was not about to trade in for the 2003 so I didn't want to see any serious changes in the body. The changes that were made, I can do without (the headlights look like my moms impala). I really do wish I had the 6 speed, but I guess I will just have to tear up the tester at the acura shop when I am in for service (can you say frequent oil changes ). I hope Acura will keep the 6 speed for the next gen CL, I will be in the market for another car by then. I am glad for the ballas out there can that can afford to switch in cars all Willie Nillie like that (I don't hate, I congratulate). If any of yall need a project manager/civil engineer/land development engineer and can bring me that bolla status Hola.
Old 01-04-2002 | 09:09 PM

Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS

yes but it would have to go through 4th, then 3rd, then 2nd instead of just staright from 5 to 2.
I might be wrong, but I thought once I droped from D5 straight to 2, i just slamed it down to 2 and rpm shooted straight up to 6k rpm.
Old 01-04-2002 | 09:10 PM

I am pretty sure that happened, unless it was a really really real dream??
Old 01-04-2002 | 09:11 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I might be wrong, but I thought once I droped from D5 straight to 2, i just slamed it down to 2 and rpm shooted straight up to 6k rpm.
Well - I am not sure if I am just a wuss, but I would have NEVER done that to my 5AT 01 CLS! Not sure that is too good for the tranny ...
Old 01-04-2002 | 10:56 PM
Team Owner

WOW….(18) replies & 200+ views in only 3-Hours.

You LIKE ME….YOU REALLY LIKE ME !!!!

Shawn S
Old 01-04-2002 | 11:06 PM
Racer

Shawn~

It looks like the parchment interior still comes with the "wood" trim:

Here's another pic I don't think has been posted yet:
Old 01-04-2002 | 11:10 PM
The Creator

Originally posted by acura_service
anyway, i wonder how many people will swap lights to give the MY01 a new look?
it would be silly.

all you have to do is paint your housings... hardly any more involved then clearing your lights.

all the RSX guys are doing it to get the JDM Type-R look.

the '03 lights are just our housings painted in the factory... so its not ghetto or cheeze to do it yourself IMO.

personally, if I had a color other then black, I would paint my housings body color...

especially if I had a silver car, my housings would be body color so fast your heads would be spinning before i even posted pics

(the sema CL had silver painted housings)

btw, StreetEffectz will do this (paint housings & clear them) for you. Think its somewhere in the $300 range.
Old 01-04-2002 | 11:12 PM
Team Owner

OH…That look SCHWEEEET !!!!

BLUE OR RED…..I got to find a coin to flip.

Shawn S
Old 01-04-2002 | 11:55 PM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by Shawn S
OH…That look SCHWEEEET !!!!

BLUE OR RED…..I got to find a coin to flip.

Shawn S
Arrest Me Red !!!! Then again with the extra H.P. to the wheels you just might get arrested !!
Old 01-05-2002 | 12:12 AM
Drifting

Re: My views on the 2003 6-Speed (Really LONG)

Originally posted by Shawn S
OK, as the certifiable BIGGEST CRYBABY of them all about the SUCK-ASS Auto Slush-Box I think I deserve to post my “review” in its own post.

Here I go……

SIX SPEED A+++
Love ya ACURA !!!!
You must have been reading my posts here from way back complaining about the Auto.

Body Changes B-
I’ll give Acura a B- here because I was expecting a bit more.
I’m actually thinking about changing my order from RED to BLUE because only an Acura NUT is going to be able to see that I even bought a new car.
I like the minor changes, but was expecting MORE in the way of front redesign.
I have no problem with the OnStar “nipple” on the roof.

Engine ???
What’s to say? No changes really.
Would have been nice to see 280 or 290HP, but think about it, that’s only like a 10% boost.
I’ve seen the Dyno’s of the 2001 and the autos are anywhere from 190 to 200 STOCK and somewhere over 230+ with Headers & CAI.
The way I look at it, I’m predicting that the STOCK 6-Speed should be around 220 to the ground on delivery.
Add Headers & CAI and we should be around a TRUE 240-260.
There’s your extra Horsepower.

Fog Lights:
Who gives a flying F*** about fog lights.
There are already too many A-Holes driving around with stock and aftermarket lights BLAZING at all hours of the day.
I would guess that there would be some kind of option from the dealer available; otherwise there are plenty of aftermarket units that will fit in those big holes.
Or there’s always the design possibility of a custom CAI “breathing” through one of those openings.

Traction Control:
Kind of surprised that Acura did away with the VSA on the CL.
I think even the 95 6-Speed Legend Coupe had some kind of traction control on it.
I think the reason for doing away with it is that it would have been REAL intrusive when you did some “spirited” driving. And switching it OFF every time you start the car is a waste of time and development money if your not going to use it.
I’m concerned that this will make the car somewhat less capable in the SNOW, but I think an experienced driver with a clutch is better in the WHITE SHIT then a computer chip.

Interior design:
Love the shifter “look” and placement of the E-Brake.
The Type-S plate and shift position indicator are TITS !!!
Someone noted that the shifter looked a bit HIGH, but I was playing around on the way home in my car trying to simulate a manual and I think it is at the right height.
If the top of the ball were about where the AUTO is, it would be WAY too low.

Interior Trim:
This is where I’m torn.
I hate the infamous “bowling ball” trim and want a Parchment interior specifically because of that.
Now they have this aluminum look that I would like to see in person, but probably wont have a chance to until delivery.
I wonder if the Parchment still has the WOOD look or not?
BLUE or RED, I just don’t know.

Wheels:
Not bad, but 18" would have been nice.
I want CHROME and maybe I will just go aftermarket or CHROME plate over the stock wheels.

In conclusion, it’s overall what I was expecting with a few minor disappointments.
I look forward to getting my car in February or March.

I have to LAUGH out loud at many of the posts in the original 14-Page thread above.
Half of those people have no desire at all to drive a SIX SPEED and I’m sure many don’t even know how.
I’m sure the other half are probably back-ass-wards in their loans and they’re just angry that they didn’t wait to purchase.
But they have the nerve to SLAM Acura for not releasing a 300HP 4WD monster for 30K.

I’m buying the MANUAL for more control of the driving experience, not just for faster 0-60 times.

I’m shutting down to go watch my new DVD “The Fast and the Furious”.
I’ll check back here later tonight for any replies to this novel I have written.
More to write, but I’m ready for a BEER and some BASS.

Shawn S
Well said...
Old 01-05-2002 | 12:30 AM

I strongly agree with the commentary!

We've been begging for a 6 speed forever, now we've got it, so !!!
Old 01-06-2002 | 09:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Well - I am not sure if I am just a wuss, but I would have NEVER done that to my 5AT 01 CLS! Not sure that is too good for the tranny ...

This is what SS was made for. This is most likely why there is the slight delay, so you can down-shift more that one gear at a time.
I do this all the time, I will be in SS mode, in 5 or 4, and I usually just down the handle a few times and push on the gas. The car goes straight to 2nd.
And our trannies are not weak and not meant to be babied. Some people have rotor trouble, does that mean I should not use my brakes? Some people have squeaky moonroofs, does that mean I should keep the shade closed? Some people have had a bad power window switch, does that mean I should not open mine? Some people had a bad strut, does that mean I should not go over bumps, ....

Congrats to everyone on their manual tranny! I hope now Acura is listening, and I am looking forward to the AWD models in the future.
Old 01-06-2002 | 09:27 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by fast_daddy_car
I will be in SS mode, in 5 or 4, and I usually just down the handle a few times and push on the gas. The car goes straight to 2nd.
And our trannies are not weak and not meant to be babied.
Yet we heave a dedicated “Transmission Problems” forum.

Shawn S
Old 01-06-2002 | 10:49 PM
Instructor

OK, a few decisions left to make, gotta ask (Shawn, Provench, anyone else)...

I was originally thinking black on black, but I like the blue (on black) so I'm hoping that comes in first now (heck, even if it doesn't, might just wait, it's nice).

What about rear spoiler? I think it looks best on black, but am on the fence for other colors (and leaning towards the no spoiler side). I think I need to see it on blue.

Lowering? Dumb question, but I've always been pretty much stock in my vehicle ('cept maybe sound systems). The dealer said it's hot, and the guy at the Acura booth on preview night, unprompted, said the same thing--said I gotta do it. One concern (well, the only one): What about chains? I live in So Cal, but drive to Mammoth for ski fun, and sometimes chains are required. Will I be able to put chains on? It's already real tight on my Legend (due to inside clearance, not vertical). Anyone know about the CL and chains (with and without lowering).

OK, no navi, 6-speed of course, mudflaps. Will have to see if I can live with the Bose, but that's an after market thing anyway. If it ends up there's a body kit after all as an option, I'll decide that then. Am I missing anything? Maybe black-chrome the grill chrome--seems that would look nice against blue. If I did that I'd consider having just a black chrome badge on the trunk and getting rid of the other decorations back there.
Old 01-06-2002 | 11:15 PM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by codehead
OK, a few decisions left to make, gotta ask (Shawn, Provench, anyone else)...

I was originally thinking black on black, but I like the blue (on black) so I'm hoping that comes in first now (heck, even if it doesn't, might just wait, it's nice).

What about rear spoiler? I think it looks best on black, but am on the fence for other colors (and leaning towards the no spoiler side). I think I need to see it on blue.

Lowering? Dumb question, but I've always been pretty much stock in my vehicle ('cept maybe sound systems). The dealer said it's hot, and the guy at the Acura booth on preview night, unprompted, said the same thing--said I gotta do it. One concern (well, the only one): What about chains? I live in So Cal, but drive to Mammoth for ski fun, and sometimes chains are required. Will I be able to put chains on? It's already real tight on my Legend (due to inside clearance, not vertical). Anyone know about the CL and chains (with and without lowering).

OK, no navi, 6-speed of course, mudflaps. Will have to see if I can live with the Bose, but that's an after market thing anyway. If it ends up there's a body kit after all as an option, I'll decide that then. Am I missing anything? Maybe black-chrome the grill chrome--seems that would look nice against blue. If I did that I'd consider having just a black chrome badge on the trunk and getting rid of the other decorations back there.
Chains are a no no. Someone who didn't read their owners manual put them on and beat the crap out of the wheels and wheel wells i believe. Lowering is a no brainer, looks great and way better handling. Mud flaps are definite as well, saves the paint big time. Welcome and good luck !
Old 01-07-2002 | 12:18 AM
Suzuka Master

OMG your not getting the NAVI!!!
Old 01-07-2002 | 01:46 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Red Rider

Chains are a no no. Someone who didn't read their owners manual put them on and beat the crap out of the wheels and wheel wells i believe.
Wah! When it snows in Mammoth or on the 395 up to it, it's 4WD or chains required.
Don't tell me I'm buying a car but I have to rent another one to go skiing in :-/
Old 01-07-2002 | 01:54 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS
OMG your not getting the NAVI!!!
Well, living in the same place all my life, it's pretty rare that I ever go anywhere for which I don't already know how to get there (any other good reason to get it?)...
Old 01-07-2002 | 07:24 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by fast_daddy_car

This is what SS was made for. This is most likely why there is the slight delay, so you can down-shift more that one gear at a time.
I do this all the time, I will be in SS mode, in 5 or 4, and I usually just down the handle a few times and push on the gas. The car goes straight to 2nd.
Just a slight clarification ... I was talking about the D5 to 2 slam action ... I too did the SS multi shift all the time which is fine.
Old 01-07-2002 | 07:30 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Well, living in the same place all my life, it's pretty rare that I ever go anywhere for which I don't already know how to get there (any other good reason to get it?)...
I am in the exact same boat and don't see paying the $2000 extra or whatever for it. In addition, on long road trips I bring the laptop, DC power, and Delorme Road Warrior edition Street Atlas with GPS

I am pretty sure I am gonna get mudflaps and that is about it. UNLESS there is a body kit and fogs (which we think/hope there will be) ... and I will get both. If they do have a body kit I will think about the spoiler, but only if they cut me a deal on one.

And I am going with Aegean Blue + Ebony (last one was silver + ebony) ... I wanted a bit more edge, and the blue looks AWESOME in person (saw in on the TL-S at my dealer). And with a body kit ... the blue would be unreal (think SEMA).
Old 01-07-2002 | 09:30 AM
NHB for FUN

I think blue only comes with black interior
I personally wanted to get blue on parchment for my 02 cls,
but switched to black on parchment just because blue does not
come with it...
Old 01-07-2002 | 09:38 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by Shurik
I think blue only comes with black interior
I personally wanted to get blue on parchment for my 02 cls
You and me BOTH.
That would be the perfect color combo. I don’t know why they don’t offer it.

Think I could pay them EXTRA to build my 2003 that way ???

Shawn S
Old 01-07-2002 | 10:12 AM
NHB for FUN

I don't know about that
You could get a custom interior probably...
and get aftermarket wood trim...
I would not redo the interior though
too expensive ...
Old 01-07-2002 | 06:07 PM
Instructor

I am in the exact same boat and don't see paying the $2000 extra or whatever for it. In addition, on long road trips I bring the laptop, DC power, and Delorme Road Warrior edition Street Atlas with GPS

I am pretty sure I am gonna get mudflaps and that is about it. UNLESS there is a body kit and fogs (which we think/hope there will be) ... and I will get both. If they do have a body kit I will think about the spoiler, but only if they cut me a deal on one.

And I am going with Aegean Blue + Ebony (last one was silver + ebony) ... I wanted a bit more edge, and the blue looks AWESOME in person (saw in on the TL-S at my dealer). And with a body kit ... the blue would be unreal (think SEMA).
They have an Aegean Blue CL (non-S, but with chrome wheels added) in the showroom at the local dealer--yeah, it looks pretty striking.
Old 01-07-2002 | 06:18 PM
Team Owner

They have an Aegean Blue CL (non-S, but with chrome wheels added) in the showroom at the local dealer--
No such thing.
Aegean Blue is only available on the Type-S.

You must have seen the “Eternal” Blue or it was an "S".

Shawn S

Quick Reply: My views on the 2003 6-Speed (Really LONG)