My TL Was Flooded

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2002 | 12:07 AM
Burning Brakes

My TL Was Flooded

My TL was flooded tonight. I had to go thru a 2 foot or so deep pool of water . I had water that gushed through the doors. While I had to cross this flood . I really had no choice but to go thru it since I was on the freeway and couldnt $hit about it. I couldnt back up so I am pretty much pissed. The floor is soaked and now smells like mildew. I am so glad I didnt lower the car yet ,otherwise I would be looking a pretty much a new car. The water would have flooded the engine and bye bye type s. I also think I damaged some mechaincal stuff under the hood. When I turn the car off I hear a stalling ringing sound. I also have a headlight that is all fogged up. I am so pissed right now I cant stand it. I just bought the car 2 weeks ago.
Old 07-24-2002 | 12:27 AM
Senior Moderator

You flooded my baby...

Yea good thing you didnt have a CAI it it dropped, just try to keep it in the sun tommorrow, maybe it will all dry up!
Old 07-24-2002 | 12:43 AM
BigPimpShyne

you sold your black TLp and you got a new TL and now this...what tha fuck man...im sure you can get insurance to look into it...good luck acnup...Shyne
Old 07-24-2002 | 12:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Amir
you sold your black TLp and you got a new TL and now this...what tha fuck man...im sure you can get insurance to look into it...good luck acnup...Shyne

Whats up Shyne!!! I got rid of my 99 and bought jesal 02 type s. I am going to the insurance company tomorrow to see what kind of damage has been done. Your Lowenharts are bling bling
Old 07-24-2002 | 01:53 AM
The Screeching Toyo's

Really sorry bro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is just not right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope your insurance takes care of you!!!!!!!

Keep us posted!!!!
Old 07-24-2002 | 07:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Sorry to hear that, but why did you HAVE to go through it. There must have been a way to avoid it. Pulling on the side u turn in the divider etc. I would never drive my $30k car into water. You do know, warranty may not cover anything broken now right? Anything broken is by your doing. They might fix it though. If it was me, I would have stopped, & had other people honk all they want. I just went through this with my unemployed mom's car. She went through water in her 85 Accord. Was fine until the car wouldn't start the next day. A tow, new distrubtor, carb, plugs, wires, & $900 later It still has trouble starting.
Old 07-24-2002 | 08:05 AM
You Fawkin Kiddin Me!

I had a close to similar encounter here in NY...

It flooded with the heavy rains on friday and I drove through a ft of water with my 2" drop... water was up to my bumper! Thank god I made it ok!
Old 07-24-2002 | 08:54 AM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Let me tell yall a little story...

My sophomore year in college I had a class that required a weekend field trip away from the university. The weekend that I left I let one of my frat brothers (Omega Psi Phi for those that care) borrow my car. At the time I had a little '94 Mercury Capri Convertible (don't laugh I had to pay for both car note and insurance while I was in school). Well the second night of the field trip we stayed in my hometown so I opted to stay at my parents house instead of at the hotel with everbody else. Well at about 2:30 in the morning my pager went off (this was in '96 when everybody still had pagers) with my dorm phone number and 911 behind it. I had let my girlfriend at the time stay in my room for the weekend. I called her and she said the Bryan Police Department was looking for me and she gave me a number to call. I called the number and the police officer said, "Mr. McCoy, do you know where your car is at?" I said, "No." She said, "it is at the corner of X street and X street and it is under 3 feet of water! What tow company do want us to use to get out of there? " I said, "Hell, I don't care, just get out!" I was livid to say the say the least. Come to find out my ragedy azz frat brother was drunk and high and ran my car into the water during a flash flood. Somewhere in there he was able to find somebody to PUSH my car out of the water. So, not only was my car flooded out, but the bumper was also all scratched up! My insurance took care of everything, but at the time I didn't have rental coverage on my insurance (big mistake that I will never repeat). In the end they had to rebuild my engine, completely gut my car and replace the carpet, and they replaced all of my stereo equipment that had been under water. I actually ended up making a profit in the end, and since it was a natural dissater (I told the insurance company that nobody was even driving the car) I didn't put a bad mark on my insurance.
Old 07-24-2002 | 11:41 AM
fuh-Q

sorry, but anyone who attempts to drive through 2 feet of water is an idiot! you couldnt have possibly thought you would make it and everything would still be in good working condition did you?
Old 07-24-2002 | 12:00 PM
Advanced

Don't start baggin' on the poor bastard!! Christ, don't you think he feels bad enough as it is? The one thing's for sure, your car will never smell right unless you replace those carpets. My brother's car got flooded in a parking lot while he was working. Two years later, it still had a hint of stink to it. Sorry about your wheels, that really blows. Did you report it to the ins carrier? Gonna have to smart about your story if you know what I mean.

Good luck!
Old 07-24-2002 | 12:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Well I have goten an estimate and it just looks like the carpet will have to be replaced and bolts for the leather seats have to be replace. I am so glad nothing else was wrong with it. I had the dealership inspect it throughly and everything looks to be ok. Thank God!!

As for the driving thru the water I had no choice!!! I was on and underpass on the freeway and I couldnt back up nor could I pull to the side. Their were at least 100 cars behind me and no 1could back up . So everyone there had to go thru it. The car behind me was a 96 or 97 sl series benz I am sure he was Pssed to go thru it to. We had close to 3 or 4 inches of rain in about an hour. If you guys only knew what I was feeling when I had to go thru this lake of water.

Thanks guys!!
Old 07-24-2002 | 12:13 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by acnup00tl
Their were at least 100 cars behind me and no 1could back up . So everyone there had to go thru it.
I understand your dilemma and you didn’t really have time to think, but I would have parked in the middle of the road and waited for the sun to come out.
Everyone behind me could GO TO HELL.

Shawn S
Old 07-24-2002 | 12:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Shawn S
I understand your dilemma and you didn’t really have time to think, but I would have parked in the middle of the road and waited for the sun to come out.

Shawn S
I couldnt do anything but go forward!! I was in a 2 car FREEWAY LANE with a wall on each side underneath the underpass. Their was water everywhere. The particular underpass has dip in it where all the water hovered. 1 car went at a time to go thru the water . 2 tryed to go at the same time and it was a cherokee and a cavalier. The cherokee was throwing some pretty big waves of water and it almost made the cavalier flood completely . Both made it out w/o stalling. I was next and tryed to drive thru it very fast . The car wanted to jerk to the left but I kept both hands on the wheel and made sure it went straight . When I got past the flood I called the dealership and insurance company immediately. Both of them told me if anything is wrong they will take care of it . They both were concerned and nice as they could be.

I am such a lucky person

Here is a link of the flood here. Not much in the pic but you can imagine a freeway

http://www.dispatch.com/
Old 07-24-2002 | 01:04 PM
Honkey

Originally posted by Shawn S

Shawn S

For the first time, I feel the need to use this character

Actually, this remindeds me of one of my favorite hydraulic moments back with my old Accord. The road was flooded out, all these cars were stopped. I pulled up to the water, locked my car all the way up, drove through, then lowered the car back down and drove off. I got a major thumbs up from an old guy in a Neon. It was a great moment

-Aaron
Old 07-24-2002 | 01:15 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by acnup00tl

I couldnt do anything but go forward!! I was in a 2 car FREEWAY LANE with a wall on each side underneath the underpass.
Like I said, I understand what you did, but there was nothing saying you HAD to drive through there.
Suppose it was 4FT deep, would you have attempted it anyway so you wouldn’t hold up traffic ???
I’d rather have a bunch of pissed off drivers behind me then a wrecked interior.

Shawn S
Old 07-24-2002 | 05:07 PM
Advanced

since everyone is sharing flood stories, I'll share one too.

2 weeks before last thanksgiving we had a major flash flood.
I was going home when i encountered a huge puddle. Everyone was going through it, so I figured it was fine. I made it over half way, then all of the sudden all the lights on the CLS came on and the engine stalled... My CL was completely stock, not lowered, no CAI, nothing. Eventually we towed it to the dealer, and I end up having to get a new engine.
The water was not high at all, no water leaked in to the cabin; my exhaust wasn’t even under the water. Man I was pissed.
On a side note, few weeks after I got my car back (I took care and broken in the engine), I gave the Type S a quick sprint, I didn’t floor it or anything, just took a corner faster than usual, and I noticed every time I let off the gas when it’s below ~30 mph, there’s a knock. I took it in to the dealer, they don’t know what was wrong, and so they replaced the whole transmission.
Everything is fine now though, no problems since. I hope.
Old 07-24-2002 | 10:57 PM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by F1 Fan
Don't start baggin' on the poor bastard!! Christ, don't you think he feels bad enough as it is? The one thing's for sure, your car will never smell right unless you replace those carpets. My brother's car got flooded in a parking lot while he was working. Two years later, it still had a hint of stink to it. Sorry about your wheels, that really blows. Did you report it to the ins carrier? Gonna have to smart about your story if you know what I mean.

Good luck!
Old 07-25-2002 | 08:55 PM
Advanced

Alright, now I gotta share my story. I had a 1993 Ford Probe. It was only 6 months old. It snowed all morning and then it got really warm in the afternoon and all the roads were flooding. I went to take me exit ramp off the highway and I saw some water. However, I didn't realize how deep it was till I was halfway through it. My car stalled, but I had enough momentum to get through. Like other who shared their stories, I had to get a whole new engine.....

Well, fast forward to last Friday when we had all those floods in the NJ/NYC area. I was heading to a black tie cruise down the hudson. I got to a road that was flooded. I of course, having learned my lesson years before, pulled off the road. I saw a guy in a camaro go blazing through and he stalled. Poor guy had to roll-up his pants and get out and push it. Anyway, we ended up missing the cruise. But, we were inspired on Monday to pick up a 2000 Jeep Cherokee. I'll be ready for the next flood!
Old 07-25-2002 | 09:09 PM
Advanced

Alright, now I gotta share my story. I had a 1993 Ford Probe. It was only 6 months old. It snowed all morning and then it got really warm in the afternoon and all the roads were flooding. I went to take me exit ramp off the highway and I saw some water. However, I didn't realize how deep it was till I was halfway through it. My car stalled, but I had enough momentum to get through. Like other who shared their stories, I had to get a whole new engine.....

Well, fast forward to last Friday when we had all those floods in the NJ/NYC area. I was heading to a black tie cruise down the hudson. I got to a road that was flooded. I of course, having learned my lesson years before, pulled off the road. I saw a guy in a camaro go blazing through and he stalled. Poor guy had to roll-up his pants and get out and push it. Anyway, we ended up missing the cruise. But, we were inspired on Monday to pick up a 2000 Jeep Cherokee. I'll be ready for the next flood!