Most powerful CL ever?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003 | 04:36 PM
Swaps? $3000 for 50HP? :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most powerful CL ever?

Figured the guys that frequent the dyno gallery could help.

Whats the most power/tq ever posted in a 1st or 2nd Gen CL?

Curious....

[edit]I know theres better numbers out there than mine, not looking for a flame war[/edit]
Old 05-12-2003 | 12:05 PM
ENGAGE MY VTEC BABY!!!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
for the 2nd gens i think red rider or the guy from washington is the fastest with the supercharger i think but then again i dont know everyone
Old 05-12-2003 | 03:47 PM

Wanted to see power/torque numbers if available.

Dont want to get caught up in the fastest arguement since its very driver dependant.
Old 05-16-2003 | 10:17 AM
Suzuka Master

allmotor had the most powerful laying down just shy of 350 WHP with the turbo and the exhaust unbolted. But the turbo is no longer on the car.

types1967 laid down 294 WHP and about 265 WTQ on his SC'd CL-S 6-Speed.

I am planning on getting to the dyno soon, within the next week or so, to get some measurements. I'm running the Comptech SC on my 6-Speed along with a few other tricks including a P&P inatke manifold and runners. I hope to put down over 300 WHP and 270 WTQ but we shall soon see.
Old 05-16-2003 | 03:39 PM

Thanks.

This is the kind of info I am looking for.

Good luck with your dynoing.
Old 05-30-2003 | 12:15 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scalbert's on the money... for your info, the torque value was 312 ft-lbs of torque at the wheels.

There are numerous corrections for flywheel hp... so its easier to just stick to wheel horsepower.
Old 05-30-2003 | 10:47 PM

Originally posted by allmotor_2000
Scalbert's on the money... for your info, the torque value was 312 ft-lbs of torque at the wheels.

There are numerous corrections for flywheel hp... so its easier to just stick to wheel horsepower.
You guys are killing me with the whp vs flywheel horsepower.

How many engine dyno's have you ever seen posted. Zero.

Why on earth would anyone post flywheel horsepower when all they have is wheel horsepower on a dyno.

Are there people out there that actually think..."if I hit 200whp on the dyno I'm really running 250 flywheel horsepower?"

I am only interested in wheel horsepower....just like my dyno numbers. Not a "guess".
Old 06-02-2003 | 10:17 AM
Safety Car

You are correct there... and the numbers I posted (345whp and 312ft-lbs of torque) are at the wheels. You really can't estimate the 'actual' flywheel horsepower unless you have an engine-dyno (and not too many people are going to take their motors OUT of the car for this!).

There are folks who think... well, X wheel horsepower is 1.15X flywheel... basically because a higher number sounds better! A Porsche 911 Turbo owner can brag he has 404 or 450hp... even if a highly boosted Honda makes... say 385whp (clearly on par or better than the Porsche)... what sounds better?

MOST people don't know about whp...
Old 06-03-2003 | 03:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by niedejb
You guys are killing me with the whp vs flywheel horsepower.

How many engine dyno's have you ever seen posted. Zero.

Why on earth would anyone post flywheel horsepower when all they have is wheel horsepower on a dyno.

Are there people out there that actually think..."if I hit 200whp on the dyno I'm really running 250 flywheel horsepower?"

I am only interested in wheel horsepower....just like my dyno numbers. Not a "guess".

Something to consider:

While I get what you’re talking about, there is something that might be missed when HP/TQ are obtained on a Dynojet [inertial dyno]). If you were interested in hill-climb or in absolute top speed, the Dynojet would NOT be useful in specifying "brake horse power" (static HP). There are other "makes"/"types" of wheel dynos that can get a fixed HP for a given speed. (The flywheel HP is done on a brake type dyno and it doesn’t car about the gearing, the inertia of internal parts in the engine and drivetrain.)

This issue may sound like a bunch of worthless nit picking, but having the "static" power -- in conjunction with inertial wheel dyno info (e.g. Dynojet) -- allows you to figure out:

1. How much power is being sucked-up from inertial issues.
2. Subtle issues that have to do with gas flow and fuel enrichment that is similar to how an old power jet helps during transitions in a carburetor (the ECU is not just using a set of static tables – it does enrich and change mixture based on how fast the RPM changes and will take into account the change in throttle position / time).
3. How the car performs at the end of the quarter mile or up hills.
4. How it will put down power in steady-state turns with sticky tires
5. Top end speed

The Flywheel (brake/static) HP is taken at a fixed speed and is "MORE INFORMATION" that an engineer can use to figure out a lot of interesting stuff.

Some of the brake dynos that allow fixed and adjustable sweep times address some of this. However, if you never knew the flywheel HP, you’d never know where the lost HP was going.
Old 06-27-2003 | 09:54 AM
4th Gear

Something else to think about is: 2-3 people will post huge #'s on the Dyno's that are almost the same. Some of these Dyno's are not as accurate as one might think. The true test comes from
1/4 mile runs, not rear wheel horsepower bragging.
Old 07-01-2003 | 10:19 AM
Safety Car

Well said... although I'd add that your MPH at the end of the 1/4 gives a pretty accurate description of the power you are making!
Old 07-02-2003 | 05:57 AM
4th Gear

Never believe anything you read. Sometimes the truth tends to creep.
Old 07-02-2003 | 10:10 AM
Safety Car

Well, I guess a video never lies
Old 07-23-2003 | 04:36 PM
2nd Gear

the 2nd gen i custom tuned on gran turismo 3
Old 08-03-2003 | 10:28 PM
GO SEMINOLES!!!

Originally posted by Harrison
the 2nd gen i custom tuned on gran turismo 3
exactly...I think i've seen your car
Old 08-19-2003 | 02:32 PM
I Feel Too Old Here

i think Titand bought allmotor's turbo, so he has the fastest CL around...
Old 09-13-2003 | 06:52 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by sland02CL-S
The true test comes from 1/4 mile runs, not rear wheel horsepower bragging.
i don't think there are many cars on this board with rear wheel horsepower
Old 10-07-2003 | 03:34 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by ItalianStallion
i think Titand bought allmotor's turbo, so he has the fastest CL around...
Most powerful doesn't mean fastest or quickest
Old 10-07-2003 | 08:37 PM
A-CL Member

FWHP RWHP lol
Old 10-20-2003 | 03:50 PM
Drifting

damn nice numbers
Old 11-11-2003 | 08:46 PM
///M POWER

345 is the # to beat
Old 06-21-2004 | 03:03 PM
Intermediate

hey im new in the game , i just want to know how much a 01 cls is gonna put out with just a aem cold air, anyone know or have any ideas ...?
Old 06-21-2004 | 03:26 PM
Not Asian

^^Probably around 200whp.
Old 06-21-2004 | 03:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
scalbert has the most powerful cl ever, for now.
Old 06-21-2004 | 08:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mattg
scalbert has the most powerful cl ever, for now.
I know it will be short lived. Unless I can get some minor things changed, get a smaller pulley and then run some race fuel. That 400 mark would easily be obtained. However, Ramanan will be able to easily turn up the wick and blast my numbers to nothing. :o

Next winter I will be going back to make some pulls. The plan will be to super cool the IC, run 9 - 10 PSI on race fuel and and if there is no knock I''ll lean it out just a bit. That should definitely give in the low 400's.

But then again, Ramanan doesn't have the parasitic losses by turning a blower plus his compressor is more efficient. In all I expect him to make about 30 - 40 WHP more at the same boost levels.
Old 06-22-2004 | 08:49 AM
KXM
Advanced

Not flaming here, and not trying to start anything. I am an old dog American V8 former drag racer that has been down a strip or two. What I see you guys doing is a whole lot of "bench racing".
Building a motor and a car to perform to the ultimate is always a cool thing, but the proof of what you have done is in the results. Not dyno results, race results, on a track, be it a straight line, a circle, what ever!
When I see remarks like "can easily hit the 12's, I would want to ask then, have you attempted it?
Drag racing is a hell of a lot more than hp and torque, especillay with a CL in getting that power to the ground. How much clutch vs gas, getting good 60' times, shift points for max power, is there proper weight distribution, etc. Hell, my CL jumps to the right like crazy upon launch and it is only stock. What about tires....drag radiails are not the magic tire for everyone. Race gas...that is not for all motors, especially low compression motors...want to see a big bang! How about nitrous, I do not see you guys discussing that at all! Cheapest bang for the buck and relatively safe if done right. My point is, I have spent thousands upon thousands to knock off 2 seconds, then thousands more to gain another half second, then thousands more getting another tenth here and there. One of my friends spent over $10,000 getting his Corvette into the 11's consistently. And you guys throw around numbers like hey, it produces x hp and y torque, therefor it can do this and that. Try it first,
do you avoid the water box, where should I stage, what compound are your tires, what air pressure, what rpm do I launch at, what are the best shift points, what gear will I be in at the traps? Like I said, bench racing vs real drag racing, if drag racing is your ultimate goal. Take no offense gents, just adding an old farts opinion, asked for or not.
KXM
Old 06-22-2004 | 02:09 PM
THE SILVER BULLET

allmotor and scalbert are the cl gods when it comes to hp
Old 06-22-2004 | 02:25 PM
Not Asian

Originally Posted by KXM
Not flaming here, and not trying to start anything. I am an old dog American V8 former drag racer that has been down a strip or two. What I see you guys doing is a whole lot of "bench racing".
Building a motor and a car to perform to the ultimate is always a cool thing, but the proof of what you have done is in the results. Not dyno results, race results, on a track, be it a straight line, a circle, what ever!
When I see remarks like "can easily hit the 12's, I would want to ask then, have you attempted it?
Drag racing is a hell of a lot more than hp and torque, especillay with a CL in getting that power to the ground. How much clutch vs gas, getting good 60' times, shift points for max power, is there proper weight distribution, etc. Hell, my CL jumps to the right like crazy upon launch and it is only stock. What about tires....drag radiails are not the magic tire for everyone. Race gas...that is not for all motors, especially low compression motors...want to see a big bang! How about nitrous, I do not see you guys discussing that at all! Cheapest bang for the buck and relatively safe if done right. My point is, I have spent thousands upon thousands to knock off 2 seconds, then thousands more to gain another half second, then thousands more getting another tenth here and there. One of my friends spent over $10,000 getting his Corvette into the 11's consistently. And you guys throw around numbers like hey, it produces x hp and y torque, therefor it can do this and that. Try it first,
do you avoid the water box, where should I stage, what compound are your tires, what air pressure, what rpm do I launch at, what are the best shift points, what gear will I be in at the traps? Like I said, bench racing vs real drag racing, if drag racing is your ultimate goal. Take no offense gents, just adding an old farts opinion, asked for or not.
KXM
The thread topic is "Most powerful CL ever?," not the "fastest/quickest CL ever." Times have been discussed in other threads.
Old 06-22-2004 | 02:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by KXM
KXM

If drag racing were our goal we would have purchased a different vehicle.

We are not out to create a drag car but rather to enhance a nice car most of us drive on a daily basis. Track times have and will come but until then all you have is speculation and educated guesses.

In addition, I've been down the track enough times in a variety of vehicles to gain an idea of what a certain car is capable of. But there is more to this than getting a good ET or even a high trap. It is about doing something which hasn't been done and not having a recipe to follow.

IMO, you are looking at it from the wrong angle. These will never be great track cars. But they are fine driving vehicles which can be improved upon. Had I wanted to run quick times I probably would have chosen an F-Body. However, I want the comfort and appointments available in the CL but I also wanted some more power which I have achieved at a reasonable price.

Also, you are not reading the threads very well as nitrous is discussed often. You seem to have a one sighted focus on making a point.

But to expand on what you stated:

You can't really describe the amount of clutch slip versus throttle applied. Right now I am working on launching in 2nd as it is more consistent and since I can't even got WOT until 3rd it makes sense.

I would guess, an educated guess, that without being set up properly a 2.3 short time is about the best I could see. However, I have some radius rods I will be testing soon to help get rid of the wheel hop. In addition I have machined some poly spring blocks for the rear. All of this in combination with proper tire inflation and weight reduction I hope to pull a 2.1. That is still slow but decent for a 6-Speed CL.

You may want to check your alignment though as my car tracks pretty straight with throttle input. That is unless the tires are turned some which is often attributed to the HLSD and not torque steer.

The low compression statement can be left out as we are certainly not that. Most people discussing these matter are either running forced induction or nitrous and could benefit from race fuel. The engine controls of today don't necessarily let you know that you are not meeting the current octane requirement which is a good and bad thing.

I already touched on the nitrous aspect.

Once again, for speculation, until you make a run that is all you have and is based on real numbers and not guesses at numbers.

No water box for anyone here, no reason for it.

Go ahead and stage shallow but is somewhat irrelevant as I refer back to the idea that this is not a drag car.

What compound, this is getting ridiculous.

Tire pressure varies according to the tires. On upgraded street rubber I would say 40+ in the rear and about 28 PSI up front.

RPM launch, I have been working on that but it looks like about 1500 in 2nd. We'll see when I make the trip to Atlanta Dragway.

The shift points will be just shy of redline as torque is still holding on strong.

I'll be in 4th closing in on redline before crossing the final trap.

I know your questions were not really being posed, I felt compelled to answer them anyway. But once again, the CL is not a drag car and never will be. Why try and act as though it is because we aren't.
Old 06-22-2004 | 03:46 PM
KXM
Advanced

scalbert: if that is what you are after, the most powerful Cl, more power to you! Some people though would like to do more with that power that they have spent major $$$ on than be the idol of others on a forum. My point: build it and race it, pieces of paper are for the ego and hanging on the wall.
I am not putting your car in the drag classisifaction, your peers are! Comments like "can easily do this or that" is pure specualtion based upon numbers attained on a dyno, fast food parking lot bragging! Sounds to me as if you have not ever had this car on a drag strip so you are gauging your success on pure bench numbers. And why no reason for a water box...drag radials need to be heated up due to their "soft compound" and to clean them of debris!

Compound: ahh, if you do not know what tire compound is, then you should find out...it matters a lot
in determing how you hook up, which you admit will be a major problem. What good is 400 whp on the bench when you cannot apply it to the ground?! Hook up is needed for street racing just as much if not more so than on the strip! Don't want to loose control and kill someone! Upgraded street rubber, now what the hell is that? Street rubber is just that, 220 compound or worse, all tread and no bite! If you go onto the strip with 28 psi in the front you will have wheel spin & hop till the cows come home, even with drag radials! And no, CL's are not drag cars, but my guess is that if you came upon a ZR1 such as mine on the freeway, you would not hesitate to rev on me and give it a go, am I correct? So why then state that it is for more than racing...because you want to have the baddest CL on the planet and take on everything you think you can beat. I can appreciate what you are doing if that is how you want to spend your money. But when your numbers are not what they were designed to be on paper, let us know that also. The real world awaits your results.
Old 06-22-2004 | 06:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by KXM
scalbert: if that is what you are after, the most powerful Cl, more power to you! Some people though would like to do more with that power that they have spent major $$$ on than be the idol of others on a forum. My point: build it and race it, pieces of paper are for the ego and hanging on the wall.
I am not putting your car in the drag classisifaction, your peers are! Comments like "can easily do this or that" is pure specualtion based upon numbers attained on a dyno, fast food parking lot bragging! Sounds to me as if you have not ever had this car on a drag strip so you are gauging your success on pure bench numbers. And why no reason for a water box...drag radials need to be heated up due to their "soft compound" and to clean them of debris!

Compound: ahh, if you do not know what tire compound is, then you should find out...it matters a lot
in determing how you hook up, which you admit will be a major problem. What good is 400 whp on the bench when you cannot apply it to the ground?! Hook up is needed for street racing just as much if not more so than on the strip! Don't want to loose control and kill someone! Upgraded street rubber, now what the hell is that? Street rubber is just that, 220 compound or worse, all tread and no bite! If you go onto the strip with 28 psi in the front you will have wheel spin & hop till the cows come home, even with drag radials! And no, CL's are not drag cars, but my guess is that if you came upon a ZR1 such as mine on the freeway, you would not hesitate to rev on me and give it a go, am I correct? So why then state that it is for more than racing...because you want to have the baddest CL on the planet and take on everything you think you can beat. I can appreciate what you are doing if that is how you want to spend your money. But when your numbers are not what they were designed to be on paper, let us know that also. The real world awaits your results.
You pretty much confirmed that single focused idea.

This thread is not a race, it is merely for entertainment. BTW, thanks for ruining it.

My car, in its current state, was just finished a couple of months ago with the intention of taking to the track once items were confirmed to last. Remember, these are prototype parts I am dealing with that I designed and had machined. I have been quite busy with numerous things including my job but most importantly:

But now that I have tested the car and am finishing up items it is time to hit the track. Don't come here with a smug attitude and make these assumptions. I had this car at the track within two months of taking ownership.

Click Here for a Video

I've been going to the track in a variety of vehicles for over fifteen years. This is not new and the compound statement was meant to reflect an air of disbelief in how far you were trying to take this. Are you trying to tell me that there is no difference between the S-O3 rubber and the stock Pilot's?? Both are street tires...

No one currently is running slicks and as such do not use the water box. Why, because this car is NOT a drag vehicle. We may run it at the strip to see what it can do but we do not expect serious results. Similarly to how some, myself included, may run the car at the autox. We don't expect to win but to enjoy the time out and the car for what we can get it to achieve.

Seems to me you need to look elsewhere than the strip as there is more to cars than that.

And to answer your question, the only way I would run a car on the highway or any other public place is if they instigated it and no one else is around. But why do I have to explain this to a smug self centered and self appointed judge of this forum.

Plus read up about the real actions here along with the intentions and stop making outright ignorant assumptions.
Old 06-22-2004 | 08:33 PM
Senior Moderator

lets continue this discussion in 2nd gen.

KXM, you really have the wrong idea about us.
Old 06-22-2004 | 09:28 PM
///M POWER

kxm, i think you have the wrong perception about scalbert's project....

but i myself mod my car to get better #'s @ the track, i am shootin for a 13.9x w/ the uni chip running race gas
Old 06-22-2004 | 10:05 PM
drop em like its hot

not to hijack the thread, but scalber your kids are beautiful

and your car kicks ass
Old 06-22-2004 | 10:06 PM
Drifting

must have supercharger!
Old 06-22-2004 | 10:17 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Stupid n00bs bringing up old threads.
Old 06-22-2004 | 10:18 PM
Senior Moderator

this isn't an old thread mrsteve. it was just in a seldom viewed forum.
Old 06-22-2004 | 10:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
howabout N/A? i plan on going 300
Old 06-22-2004 | 10:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by mattg
this isn't an old thread mrsteve. it was just in a seldom viewed forum.
The 1st post is dated 5/7/2003 on my screen. Went away for 7 months and a guy asked what he'd put down with an AEM intake :P
Old 06-22-2004 | 10:29 PM
Senior Moderator

oops, i thought it was 05-04.

Quick Reply: Most powerful CL ever?