More power....

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2001 | 04:01 AM
Drifting

More power....

For those of us that have all most common mods for our car, what are some other ways we can get more power? I mean we have a V6 and I know we have the down fall of an auto but there has to be something. Of course theres is NOS but fuck that. And there wont be a SC out for a while. I am really hoping AEM will come out with some pulleys, that would help a bit. Also I guess I could swap out my cat. Other than that what else can we do with out doing any major engine work?

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Comptech Springs
Comptech Exhaust
Denso Spark Plugs
Apexi V-AFC
AEM CAI
Old 04-16-2001 | 04:04 AM
White Lightning

I thought AEM came out with the pulleys for the CL-S already

------------------
NightHawk Black CL-S
Black Interior
Clear Headlights
Nokyo Halogen Bulb Artic White
AEM Cold Air Induction
Now Working to Get Springs
Old 04-16-2001 | 04:06 AM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by X3.2CLSX:
I thought AEM came out with the pulleys for the CL-S already

</font>
Not that I know of, the people that have them are using Accord pulleys.
Old 04-16-2001 | 04:13 AM
Kill the Chicken heads

hey web, i just installed my air induction peice i was talking about!!! i really feel the power after 30 and up, it just keeps pulling harder even at like 60, and i was testing this out in like 90f weather. I post pics tomm.

------------------
Nick
01' Cl-S Silver/ Black W/ Navi and Spoiler
V-1 Radar Hard Wired, Limo Tint all around
Comptech Headers, Sways, and AEM CAI
I've got one of the CLS's from the fast batch.
Lead Foot!
Old 04-16-2001 | 04:13 AM
I love my CL-S

our car is just too heavy, maybe we have to figure out some way to reduce the weight too.
Maybe some good rims like VOLK'S RACING?
Actually, you got the header already, so i don't think there area anything that could make our car go much faster except the SC i think....

------------------
01 silver cl-s
AEM CAI red
K&N air filter
Piaa 19169
Cannon winter floor mats
Old 04-16-2001 | 04:15 AM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WiLd~CL~TYPS-@SS:
our car is just too heavy, maybe we have to figure out some way to reduce the weight too.
Maybe some good rims like VOLK'S RACING?
Actually, you got the header already, so i don't think there area anything that could make our car go much faster except the SC i think....

</font>
Ya, I think we may have hit our peak. I guess after my warranty runs out I will port and polish the heads and stuff like that.

Old 04-16-2001 | 04:16 AM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Type S Smokes All:
hey web, i just installed my air induction peice i was talking about!!! i really feel the power after 30 and up, it just keeps pulling harder even at like 60, and i was testing this out in like 90f weather. I post pics tomm.

</font>
Ya, please do, I would like to see how it came out.

Old 04-16-2001 | 04:19 AM
Instructor

how bout lighter rims, better tires, headers.
Old 04-16-2001 | 04:20 AM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by buddha:
how bout lighter rims, better tires, headers.</font>
Headers are in the mail, but ya better tires. I really like the stock rims but if I knew it would help a lot I would swap them out..

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Comptech Springs
Comptech Exhaust
Denso Spark Plugs
Apexi V-AFC
AEM CAI
Old 04-16-2001 | 04:22 AM
STi

Hhhhmmmm more power without engine work let me think, since most of this item is not available in the market for our cl-s i'll list it.
1.Chip
2.bigger injectors
3.bigger fuel pump+fuel pressure regulator
4.racing cams & valve srping(IMO not to much of major engine work since me and my friends install it in my civic)
5. bigger TB
6. adj cam gears
I think that's i run of any ideas how about u guys any clue...

------------------

1990Si
2001CL-S
Old 04-16-2001 | 04:24 AM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 4thGSi:
Hhhhmmmm more power without engine work let me think, since most of this item is not available in the market for our cl-s i'll list it.
1.Chip
2.bigger injectors
3.bigger fuel pump+fuel pressure regulator
4.racing cams & valve srping(IMO not to much of major engine work since me and my friends install it in my civic)
5. bigger TB
6. adj cam gears
I think that's i run of any ideas how about u guys any clue...

</font>
How much of a gain would we get from a better fuel pump and regulator?

Old 04-16-2001 | 04:33 AM
Instructor

I think that the best thing for you to do next is to get a lighter set of rims with better tires. Cause as it is right now, the stock tires can't put the power we have to the road. And with more power we're just gonna sit and spin.
Old 04-16-2001 | 05:02 AM
Burning Brakes

This mod might not give a big boost but is worth discussing.

The throttle body actually has coolant flowing through it and of course the coolant can get quite hot. This is doing nothing but warming the air that is entering the engine. I think it's designed to keep things warm and nimble when in a cold environment but if you're in a warm climate, bypassing the flow should keep the entering air cooler. There's one coolant line going into the top of the throttle body and two coming out the bottom. Get a T-connector for these hoses, connect all three and the hot coolant will stay out of the throttle body. I snapped a picture showing the line on top but the two on the bottom were too buried to see clearly in a photo:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...465&p=46626718
Old 04-16-2001 | 05:06 AM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tinman:
This mod might not give a big boost but is worth discussing.

The throttle body actually has coolant flowing through it and of course the coolant can get quite hot. This is doing nothing but warming the air that is entering the engine. I think it's designed to keep things warm and nimble when in a cold environment but if you're in a warm climate, bypassing the flow should keep the entering air cooler. There's one coolant line going into the top of the throttle body and two coming out the bottom. Get a T-connector for these hoses, connect all three and the hot coolant will stay out of the throttle body. I snapped a picture showing the line on top but the two on the bottom were too buried to see clearly in a photo:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...465&p=46626718
</font>

You don't think that would be bad for the engine?
Old 04-16-2001 | 05:09 AM
Burning Brakes

That's a standard mod for newer Vettes so as long as you're in a warm climate, should be no problem. It won't affect the engine; only the throttle body. I'd be interested to hear what Jens think of it though. Jens??
Old 04-16-2001 | 05:14 AM
STi

I cannot give you any specific hp gain but i know for a fact that fuel pumps and fuel pressure regulator gives hp especially match with intake, cams, bigger TB. Cause a lot of people never take into account that when adding more air to the engine you must have more fuel to deliver to make power. I think the down side is fuel economy, high performance fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator(setting to regulate the flow of fuel) deliver more flow of fuel to the engine.

------------------

1990Si
2001CL-S
Old 04-16-2001 | 05:38 AM
Pro

Regarding the fuel pressure regulator, I personally don't think it adds a significant HP improvement that you can feel. I agree that with the addition of intake, headers, and exhaust, this may add another 2-5hp tops. With forced induction or hot cams, the fuel pressure regulator and injectors may be more beneficial.

Even with the additions of intake/headers/exhaust,the stock ECU can still compensate for the increased air flow as the car usually runs rich from the factory anyway. So the addition of a fuel pressure regulator may not be that beneficial.

------------------
Frank
01-S White/Parchment
Comptech Sways & Springs
Old 04-16-2001 | 06:12 AM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FDao:
Regarding the fuel pressure regulator, I personally don't think it adds a significant HP improvement that you can feel. I agree that with the addition of intake, headers, and exhaust, this may add another 2-5hp tops. With forced induction or hot cams, the fuel pressure regulator and injectors may be more beneficial.

Even with the additions of intake/headers/exhaust,the stock ECU can still compensate for the increased air flow as the car usually runs rich from the factory anyway. So the addition of a fuel pressure regulator may not be that beneficial.

</font>
Agreed!

I think our ECU can only be fooled so much. I think your right. I talked to Comptech about the headers an CAI. I said, "Do you think I need bigger injectors. Are they going to produce enough fuel for the added air flow/air mass increase?"

The said the Acura (in their experience with the NSX and CL-S) had more than enough fuel flow for future expansions.

So, you might get a little bit more out of the fuel rail increase from some 2nd order effect, but the CPU will "close the loop".

1. One member said they were getting rid of their fuel regulator (I believe he said it didn't work after the ECU compensated) (That's what I thought I heard...)

2. The V-AFC will modify the fuel-air ratio. Astroboy AND BeatYaAll added the V-AFC and only got about 4 hp more power (and this thing is really tweaking the sensor input to the ECU. (BeatYaAll posted his dyno of the V-AFC).

So, you could try the Denso plugs (I don't know, but they may gain you a few HP for around $80 bucks (didn't include labor).
(Haven't tried, but could help depending on mileage.)

Or:

-- Go to really light wheels (it helps!)

-- Get drag slicks if you like. If you like to drag race, then get some super sticky "R" rated tires. They will probably have some really stiff sidewalls and they will be so sticky that you will be picking up gravel, but they will "hook you up" off the line.
(They do make DOT/Street legal tires as described above.)

-- Lighter battery, etc (put car on a weight diet). If you can find it, get a fiberglass hood or carbon/Kevlar hood. Dump the factory seats and put in very light racing seats.

-- Electric supercharger (yep, I know it is good for a big laugh)

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines ordered
  • Comptech headers & sways ready
  • Silver AEM CAI ready
  • 6 coats of Zaino magic

[This message has been edited by EricL (edited 04-16-2001).]