Moisture / condensation / water in headlight

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 01:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moisture / condensation / water in headlight

My passenger-side headlight inverter was replaced under warranty.

After washing the car a couple months later, I noticed some moisture in the headlight.

I took it in to the shop thinking maybe a seal was broken while replacing the inverter. Of course the dealership is saying I need a whole new headlight assembly to the tune of $425 (installed).

I don't drive it in the rain much and really feel like this happened just after the inverter was replaced, but I have obviously waited some time ... dealership on other side of town, haven't had time.

I was under the impression that either AcuraCare Warranty or the dealership would be liable to fix this, especially after reading "The Root of Headlight Condensation" ...
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/root-headlight-condensation-culprit-639496/

Anyways, neither AcuraCare or the dealership are willing to replace it at no cost (or any discount). I was thinking about taking both lamps off and re-sealing them (and moisture cleanup on the pass side one) ... buy all new seals and gaskets ...

OR, in addition, purchase RT Headlight from AcuraOEM ($195)

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

What do you all think?
Old 01-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Wide Body 3.2 CL-S

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
stick those moisture bags in there and save urself the hassle lol
Old 01-26-2009, 03:25 PM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
some people have taken it apart and re-sealed with success
Old 01-26-2009, 04:12 PM
Advanced

where do you put the moisture bags?
Old 01-26-2009, 04:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by krazykrnboi
the ones you get in a new pair of shoes
Old 01-26-2009, 04:50 PM
01 Type-S, Sexy Silver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by krazykrnboi
lol John, those moisture bags aren't working for you or me either haha

But, to give it a shot, just throw 4-5 of those little silica packets into each headlight (turn the black cover on the back that seals the HID bulb)
Old 01-26-2009, 05:51 PM
Racer

Happens to me all of the time.........it seems to come and go intermittently....especially directly after washing the car.....easiest solution: given the ease/location to remove the high-beam bulb...just loosen the screws holding the high beam bulb in place, and take out the high-beam bulb (takes about a minute to do) for a few hours (only in non-rainy weather). it always works for me.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Blieb
My passenger-side headlight inverter was replaced under warranty.

After washing the car a couple months later, I noticed some moisture in the headlight.

I took it in to the shop thinking maybe a seal was broken while replacing the inverter. Of course the dealership is saying I need a whole new headlight assembly to the tune of $425 (installed).

I don't drive it in the rain much and really feel like this happened just after the inverter was replaced, but I have obviously waited some time ... dealership on other side of town, haven't had time.

I was under the impression that either AcuraCare Warranty or the dealership would be liable to fix this, especially after reading "The Root of Headlight Condensation" ...
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=639496

Anyways, neither AcuraCare or the dealership are willing to replace it at no cost (or any discount). I was thinking about taking both lamps off and re-sealing them (and moisture cleanup on the pass side one) ... buy all new seals and gaskets ...

OR, in addition, purchase RT Headlight from AcuraOEM ($195)

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

What do you all think?

might wanna try this.
But in my case I opened mine painted them, resealed them 2X before I had that problem and then decided instead of opening it and going thru al that and resealing it again I was gonna try something else.

The following links might help.

It's been months (8 ) & numerous washes and travelling and weather conditions NOT a problem.

check out the links :

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ght=gel+silica
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ilica+moisture

GL
Old 01-28-2009, 09:30 AM
Intermediate

Unbelievable! Dropped the car off Saturday. They said they wouldn't be able to look at it until Monday, I said no prob (I have another vehicle as backup). "We'll bring it in back and lock it up so it isn't out front at night."

Monday they call and quote me $425 for the light, installed. I told them no thanks. But go ahead and do the oil change and check the brake light.

Tuesday they call up and say the car is ready. He said the head light was FINE. He said moisture in the light is OK as long as it dries up periodically. I got him to repeat this back to me several times on the phone and in person. Previously he said it would short the inverter. I might still take the lights apart to re-seal everything, but doesn't feel urgent.

Brake light was just low fluid, they replaced the master cylinder cap last time it was in.

-------------------------------

Now, I'm not that pissed (more like confused) but my wife is NUCLEAR that they would have let me spend that money on a new light when I didn't need one.

I wonder if they would have caught it. Or maybe with the new light I'd come back in with moisture and they would say "nah, that's ok" ... then I'd have to kick and scream for the $$$ back.

And this morning when I went to pick it up, it was parked out front waiting for me covered in dew. Guess I just got the 1 day lockup service :P

Thanks for the replies!
Old 01-28-2009, 09:41 AM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
I had the moisture problem a while back. I let it all dry up with the lights out, and blew some air in there at my dad's shop. I've replaced both inverters and siliconed where the wires go in. Haven't had imoisture since. I also think that going to a car wash put the moisture in there in the first place. I always go to the DIY coin wash now, or do it in my driveway. I think the force of the spray from the car wash might have forced a bit or water in there.