Modern Cars Suck!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2001, 04:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modern Cars Suck!

Well, I dont know how everyone else feels about this, but most imports and high end cars are becoming so technoligically advanced that it takes the fun out of driving them IMO. I just had the 911 out (its the new 996 a 2000) Well I pull up to a light and go to light them out, rev it up to about 5-6k and drop it.... lots of noise but nothin... wtf?? The car wont let the clutch engage the gears if u rev it past a certain point which = no burnouts . Thats no fun, and when I was thinking about it, most sports cars now are turning to AWD systems. I miss the old cars like my 96 M3, that thing was a blast... you could send that thing into a drift in corners and get it going sideways... it was a blast... now you have cars like the carerra 4 which basically drives for you, the thing brakes and slows the car down if it "feels" that your going to fast, WTF id rather be in control of the car then some damn computer. I mean its nice to have a car that keeps you safe and keeps bad drivers from killing themselves, but its fun to be able to drive your car yourself every once in a while. Just want to see everyone elses opinion on this.

------------------
- 2001 Cl-S Silver/Ebony
- Comptech Headers
- Comptech Exhaust
- Comptech Air Filter
- Comptech Sway Bars
- Comptech Springs
- Koni Shocks
- Alpine IVA-C800
- Alpine NVE-N852A
- MB Quart Highs
- 2 JL 10"
- MV DVD Player
- 20% Llumar Charcoal Tint
- PIAA 19224 Road Lamps
- Solaris 9005 High Beams
Old 05-28-2001, 04:37 PM
aka gimmesomesugar

Just deactivate the computer
Old 05-28-2001, 04:39 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jrod178:
.... Well I pull up to a light and go to light them out, rev it up to about 5-6k and drop it.... lots of noise but nothin... wtf?? The car wont let the clutch engage the gears if u rev it past a certain point which = no burnouts ...... </font>
Did you turn off the traction control?

------------------
99 M3
dead CL-S

Tom2: The Voice Of Reason and Captain of the Bullshit Police.
Old 05-28-2001, 05:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

You should give a Viper a try (1997 and up).....not a techno wonder by any means, its the most Shit eating grin inducing car I have ever had (cars worth mentioning- 95 M3, 99 Corvette, 00 Mcoupe).....my friend has a 00 triple black 996, its nice- I like the 993 better.

[This message has been edited by Beltfed (edited 05-28-2001).]
Old 05-28-2001, 05:23 PM
Racer

I'm not a Porsche expert but you should be able to turn the traction control off or something. I've never heard of a system that won't let the clutch engage if you rev it too high. I read an article a couple years ago about a 911 Turbo S. They reved it up to redline (around 8000rpm or so) and dropped the clutch. They said all four tired broke free and the thing took off. I'm pretty sure that the new 911 GT2 doesn't have traction control but an LSD instead. I think they cost over $180K though.
Old 05-28-2001, 05:40 PM
Banned

There is no traction control system on this model, got it without it. Its just a mechanical thing that porsche is doing, I mean its understandable... better for the car... dont get assholes going out and beating the hell out of it. Its not a drag car, yea thats why I love vipers so much because its an engine with wheels and a seat, plain and simple.

------------------
- 2001 Cl-S Silver/Ebony
- Comptech Headers
- Comptech Exhaust
- Comptech Air Filter
- Comptech Sway Bars
- Comptech Springs
- Koni Shocks
- Alpine IVA-C800
- Alpine NVE-N852A
- MB Quart Highs
- 2 JL 10"
- MV DVD Player
- PIAA 19224 Road Lamps
Old 05-28-2001, 05:46 PM
- daemonichris -

Amen!

------------------
Acura 3.2CL Type-S w/ Navigation
Black/Ebony

- H&R Sport Springs
- Pirelli P7000 Supersport 235/40ZR17
- Custom CAI
- Cleared Headlights
- Tint all around
- Mesh Grill
- Dual 12'' Alpine Type-S Subs
- Kenwood KAC-728S Amp
Old 05-28-2001, 07:03 PM
Racer

So you have a 2000 911 Carrera? What is this mechanical system called? Can you tell me more about it?
Old 05-28-2001, 07:13 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
The car wont let the clutch engage the gears if u rev it past a certain point which = no burnouts .

</font>
Are you sure about the traction control? I'm pretty sure that traction control is standard on your model.

By the way-- Since your clutch is a fully mechanical/hydraulic unit, there's no way in hell that there are any electronics that can prevent it from engaging due to engine rpm.

------------------
99 M3
dead CL-S

Tom2: The Voice Of Reason and Captain of the Bullshit Police.
Old 05-28-2001, 07:22 PM
Banned

Welcome to the 21st Century. You want somethign Primitive? Get a 1984 Crown Vic.

------------------
Red 3.2 CL-S.
"Life is too short not to be Italian." -Paul Sorvino
"How do you expect your date to turn over if your engine doesn't?" -Original
Proud member of "I didn't hit the curb like a dope and scratch my rims" club.
Old 05-28-2001, 07:48 PM
Banned

Yea im positive about the traction control, im just saying car companies are taking the fun out of driving and making things too safe for sports cars. I mean AWD is nice to have for your family wagon but RWD is so much more fun to drive. And with all these computers and traction control systems out and OBD2 and OBD3 when it comes out, its so difficult to work on cars. This is why I am so fond of the Viper, its a no-bullshit car, no fancy devices or features, it's lets go fast, hell they just put in ABS 2 years ago! There are just very few cars alike it, and in 10 years who knows what cars are gonna be like, yea theyll be a lot of cool features but who the hell wants a car thats gonna drive itself. Bottum line is, technology in sports cars suck, American muscle cars w/ IRS are becoming more and more appealing.

------------------
- 2001 Cl-S Silver/Ebony
- Comptech Headers
- Comptech Exhaust
- Comptech Air Filter
- Comptech Sway Bars
- Comptech Springs
- Koni Shocks
- Alpine IVA-C800
- Alpine NVE-N852A
- MB Quart Highs
- 2 JL 10"
- MV DVD Player
- PIAA 19224 Road Lamps
Old 05-28-2001, 07:50 PM
Instructor

I love modern cars!! I dont feel like having to do a lot of work when I drive, especially if I am going to pay around 29k or more for a car. I cant wait until I dont have to worry about controlling my car and just let it sit on auto pilot while I sleep to work.

------------------
2001 3.2CL-Type S, No Navig., Satin Silver, Spoiler, mudguards
Old 05-28-2001, 08:26 PM
Learn to swim.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rsuzara:
I love modern cars!! I dont feel like having to do a lot of work when I drive, especially if I am going to pay around 29k or more for a car. I cant wait until I dont have to worry about controlling my car and just let it sit on auto pilot while I sleep to work.

</font>
"There are two types of people in this world, there are PASSENGERS and there are DRIVERS..."

Old 05-28-2001, 11:11 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Actually, Vipers got ABS this year (2001), I knew it was coming- but got a 2000, got a good deal, and plus the ABS drove the price up like $2500, and the stripes went up $500....plus not as good a discount, since the dealer had so many orders in for 01's- ABS would have been very nice though.

I have a few mods done to the car, its fun trailing on the rear of 600cc motorcycles....they are in front of me, but not by much.

mechanically simple cars are fine in my book....I'm very much looking forward to the 03 Mercury Marauder.
Old 05-28-2001, 11:20 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Beltfed:
Actually, Vipers got ABS this year (2001), I knew it was coming- but got a 2000, got a good deal, and plus the ABS drove the price up like $2500, and the stripes went up $500....plus not as good a discount, since the dealer had so many orders in for 01's- ABS would have been very nice though.

I have a few mods done to the car, its fun trailing on the rear of 600cc motorcycles....they are in front of me, but not by much.

mechanically simple cars are fine in my book....I'm very much looking forward to the 03 Mercury Marauder.
</font>
What mods do you have? My dad has a 2001 Viper ACR.
Old 05-28-2001, 11:27 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Cool, I have the ACR K&N filter, smooth tubes, Snake Oyl exhaust, 3.55 rear gears....headers maybe soon, but they are $2500 .

Checked your profile, I see your into guns....myself as well (I have a soft spot for 50BMG's.)

[This message has been edited by Beltfed (edited 05-28-2001).]
Old 05-29-2001, 10:04 AM
Banned

People said the same thing when they started puttingplastic in cars... same about airbags. These cars won't be fun with all this safety equipment. Give me a break. If you wanted to do peelouts get a Firebird.

------------------
Red 3.2 CL-S.
Old 05-29-2001, 03:03 PM
Banned

That wasnt my point that I wanted to do "peelouts", my point is that car manufacturers are taking the driving out of driving now a days. Instead of you having control over the car some computer does and its making decision for you. Now personally I think I have better judgement then some computer that can't see and cant make human decisions. And beside that, its no fun to have a car that prevents you from driving it like it should be!

------------------
- 2001 Cl-S Silver/Ebony
- Comptech Headers
- Comptech Exhaust
- Comptech Air Filter
- Comptech Sway Bars
- Comptech Springs
- Koni Shocks
- Alpine IVA-C800
- Alpine NVE-N852A
- MB Quart Highs
- 2 JL 10"
- MV DVD Player
- PIAA 19224 Road Lamps
Old 05-29-2001, 03:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's no fun pulling your car out of a ditch because you hit a dirt spot on pavement or you didn't modulate your non-abs brakes well enough.

Just spent the weekend in a 2001 Acura NSX. With all it's safety features... that car was still Incredibly fun. My cheeks were sore from smiling so much.
Old 05-29-2001, 07:17 PM
Banned

Im not talking about ABS or safety features, I mean like traction control and AWD. And things like on the Porsche. These "features" are for people who dont really know how to drive that type of car like its meant to. IE pushing your car on a road with a dirt spot and not a track. Sports cars are meant to be driven, and driven hard. If you want something with features and safety items go buy a MB, BMW, Lexus.... Sports cars are not meant for daily commuting and every day life, therefore those particular things that you use for those items shouldnt be in there it takes away from the car IMO.

------------------
- 2001 Cl-S Silver/Ebony
- Comptech Headers
- Comptech Exhaust
- Comptech Air Filter
- Comptech Sway Bars
- Comptech Springs
- Koni Shocks
- Alpine IVA-C800
- Alpine NVE-N852A
- MB Quart Highs
- 2 JL 10"
- MV DVD Player
- PIAA 19224 Road Lamps
Old 05-29-2001, 07:27 PM
Banned

AWD is a technological item for people who don't know how to drive...I thought it was designed more for rallying and harnessing the power that many AWD cars have...not subarus mind you, but Eclipse turbos...audi turbos..cars that are meant to be pushed.
Im not talking about ABS or safety features, I mean like traction control and AWD. And things like on the Porsche. These "features" are for people who dont really know how to drive that type of car like its meant to. IE pushing your car on a road with a dirt spot and not a track. Sports cars are meant to be driven, and driven hard. If you want something with features and safety items go buy a MB, BMW, Lexus.... Sports cars are not meant for daily commuting and every day life, therefore those particular things that you use for those items shouldnt be in there it takes away from the car IMO.

</font>

------------------
2001 Cl-S Black on Black with Navigation
Black Tint all around (15%~45%)
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers (hehehe...I got something for you drchang!!)
14.698 @95.977mph....Sears Point Raceway.I think I need a Level 10 Torque Converter!!
Yes, I know I'm going to hell for wasting gas on Civics....
Old 05-29-2001, 07:40 PM
Ace rider

</font>
Nice Sig! Wish I had even 1/3 of the stuff you have in there!

------------------
01 Silver CL-S, Navi, Spoiler, V1, PIAA's
Retired: 94 540i
Old 05-29-2001, 08:39 PM
Banned

Thanks I really appreciate the compliment.

Jarod

------------------
- 2001 Cl-S Silver/Ebony
- Comptech Headers
- Comptech Exhaust
- Comptech Air Filter
- Comptech Sway Bars
- Comptech Springs
- Koni Shocks
- Alpine IVA-C800
- Alpine NVE-N852A
- MB Quart Highs
- 2 JL 10"
- MV DVD Player
- PIAA 19224 Road Lamps
Old 05-29-2001, 11:11 PM
on bin laden

shit me too ... i wish i have half the stuff in your sig too ... navi & V1

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dacat:
Nice Sig! Wish I had even 1/3 of the stuff you have in there!

</font>

------------------
Black 2001 Type S
*Eibach Pro-Kit (Waiting to be installed)
*Xephyr Cold Air Intake
*PIAA 19224, 19169
*Rockford 500a2 [FOR SALE]
*Pioneer 12" @ 400w (x2) [FOR SALE]
*77237-SOK-A02
---Still 2 rims not scratched---
Old 05-30-2001, 09:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Well, I dont know how everyone else feels about this, but most imports and high end cars are becoming so technoligically advanced that it takes the fun out of driving them IMO. I just had the 911 out (its the new 996 a 2000) Well I pull up to a light and go to light them out, rev it up to about 5-6k and drop it.... lots of noise but nothin... wtf?? The car wont let the clutch engage the gears if u rev it past a certain point which = no burnouts . Thats no fun, and when I was thinking about it, most sports cars now are turning to AWD systems. I miss the old cars like my 96 M3, that thing was a blast... you could send that thing into a drift in corners and get it going sideways... it was a blast... now you have cars like the carerra 4 which basically drives for you, the thing brakes and slows the car down if it "feels" that your going to fast, WTF id rather be in control of the car then some damn computer. I mean its nice to have a car that keeps you safe and keeps bad drivers from killing themselves, but its fun to be able to drive your car yourself every once in a while. Just want to see everyone elses opinion on this.

</font>
Got a solution for you, and judging from your ability to "afford" expensive cars, you will love this.

Just buy a nice used Porsche, BMW, or other older sports car and fix it up. You will have all a car WITHOUT all of the new features that you dislike.

If you don't like something, and you got the bucks, life is too short -- go for it and get an older car and make it perfect.

For example -- you can order an old Turbo 911 with that nasty boost that sent all of the Beverly Hills House Fraus into the trees in the Hills of Bev-er-ly. Get one of those, and you can experience the thrill of that nice air cooled motor and a kick-ass wild ride that will test the best.

Or if you prefer something a bit more sedate, get an old M5. Have the engine and tranny rebuilt. My dad and I got to borrow one of the death machine models that had the boxy look (forgot the year), but would nail you back in the seat like a Saturn rocket. I'm sure someone could get you into one for a song.

I like technology, but some of it -- like the VSA when it has a brain fit on some crushed rocks in a hairpin turn can be annoying. Find your jewel, and stop wasting time complaining -- you can be out driving with a big smile on your face -- and soon!

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 10 coats of Zaino magic
Old 05-30-2001, 10:17 AM
Banned

I disagree that the VSA is taking more fun out of driving. Back in the 40s a fun car was four tons and handled like a tank. After WWII, those GIs cameover here with roadsters and beat the crap out of those 40's cars. Hence the 50's Thunderbird, and Corvette.
The definition of fun changed and as always has over the years. Its not stupid, its different. I hate how people think somsething is stupid just because its a little outside the norm. Note how I said a little.

------------------
Red 3.2 CL-S.
Old 05-30-2001, 12:47 PM
Firestarter

(In a HAL 2000 tone voice) I'm sorry, Dave...but you are going too fast. I can not allow you to push the limit of your vehicle. I will be reducing fuel and applying your brakes now.

------------------
Silver CL-S
Old 05-30-2001, 09:04 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shockboltthrower:
(In a HAL 2000 tone voice) I'm sorry, Dave...but you are going too fast. I can not allow you to push the limit of your vehicle. I will be reducing fuel and applying your brakes now.

</font>
I'm sorry Dave, but I've used your GPS/Sat phone to disable the car; notify the police; and lock your seatbelt until the police arrive to arrest you for doing 101 MPH in a 55 zone. Don't fight, or I'll be forced to turn up the seat heaters until you fry!

I'm doing this for your own good Dave

(Hal 2000 improved model -- lets you sin, then punishes you big time.)

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 10 coats of Zaino magic