Megan Headers Install Experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 01:08 PM
Meat stick

Received 229 Likes on 97 Posts
Megan Headers Install Experience

Well, I finally got to install my headers, and after Veeral posted his experience, I decided to post mine in the same fashipn, to give a good look at both types.

Cons - The collecter hits the oil pan....no real "bad" to this, and megan is sending me a new third-batch collecter to rectify this....

Pros - same gains for very little $$ (got mine for 155 shipped on ebay)
- everything lines up great
- great welds, inside and out....

The worst part of the install was getting the OEM collecter off....my car has 152K miles, and the original owner lived near the bay...needless to say, the rust was horrible. It took me 2.5 hours to remove 7 of the 9 lower bolts, and I had to have a muffler shop get rid of the other two using a torch....
As for the actual install,everything went great...the O2 bung is positioned correctly, and hardware and gaskets they give you are good quality, and the finish is great.

I have seen all of the different brands, and for build quality, I would put these with any other brand. We will have to see, however, how they hold up in the long run...But I don't see any problems...

I also agree with Veeral, if you have mechanical friends, GET THEM TO HELP....Between the problems with the OEM stuff, and not being able to get my large arms into small spaces, the entire install took me ~8 hours by myself.....I think alot of it was simply being tired after hour 4, and I slowed WAY down....

Hope this helps.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:01 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice write up.

Any pics?
Old 03-23-2005, 02:14 PM
Meat stick

Originally Posted by Red-CL
Nice write up.

Any pics?
Headers

Welds

Insides

On and bronzed
Old 03-23-2005, 02:25 PM
B A N N E D

Looks very nice Thanks for posting this info, I also ordered these, waiting for them to come in, the only thing I did not understand was this you wrote about the cons;
Cons - The collecter hits the oil pan....no real "bad" to this, and megan is sending me a new third-batch collecter to rectify this....
What is the collecter? Do you think I will have this problem?
Also, did the sound of the engine change?
Old 03-23-2005, 02:26 PM
Sold but not Forgotten...

Good work... bet the VTEC feeling was worth the 8 hours of work eh
Old 03-23-2005, 02:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KahRupt-CL-S03
Looks very nice Thanks for posting this info, I also ordered these, waiting for them to come in, the only thing I did not understand was this you wrote about the cons;
The collector connects the two headers to the rest of the exhaust system.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:30 PM
Meat stick

Originally Posted by KahRupt-CL-S03
The headers attach to the block, and the collecter connects the headers to the cat and cat-back exhaust. Part of the collecter touches the oil pan...it shouldn't, but it is not gonna hurt anything until I put the new one on....
Unless you bought them from Megan, you will probably have this problem...
Old 03-23-2005, 02:30 PM
Meat stick

Originally Posted by babyblue
Good work... bet the VTEC feeling was worth the 8 hours of work eh
hell yes.....I LOVE IT
Old 03-23-2005, 07:01 PM
I NEED MONEY!

good review...maybe the megans are a good brand too for those looking for cheaper prices on headers...
Old 03-23-2005, 07:17 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
Good job. Only thing I would be concerned about is your collector hitting the oil pan. The problem is is when the engine is under heavy load or swaying due to natural occurances... that collecotr is gonna leave marks or the weaves will sustain some damage. Good luck!

Looks nice btw
Old 03-26-2005, 10:26 PM
Pro

nice post and review of install...maybe i should have went with the megan headers...i just had my alphawerks header installed today..the o2 sensor bung hit the oil pan cause the hole on the collector was at a wrong angle. We had to sand down the piece and then the o2 sensor no longer hit the oil pan...pain in the ass, but oh well thats what i get for not shirking out the mula for comptechs...
Old 03-27-2005, 04:33 AM
Instructor

hmm...collector hitting the oil pan..do you know which sets of of the exhaust header is for the front and/or back? i konw with obx the one with the label is the back, but the megans both have the plate. i guess i'll have to install mine to find out
Old 03-27-2005, 10:16 AM
Meat stick

Originally Posted by typeSb00st
hmm...collector hitting the oil pan..do you know which sets of of the exhaust header is for the front and/or back? i konw with obx the one with the label is the back, but the megans both have the plate. i guess i'll have to install mine to find out
I looked at the difference in the flange angles on each header......the rear is about a 90 degree difference, whereas the front is a little more closed (75 degrees??)...look at the OEM manifolds when you remove them, and you should be able to tell...also, if you put the wrong header on the rear bank, the bottom of it will sit directly over the driveshaft.....that is bad.

Good luck.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:23 PM
B A N N E D

Why is it that when searching for the Megan's they have a 2.1" outlet and a 2.5" is there a diffrence between the two?
Old 03-28-2005, 12:35 AM
Instructor

i came across the collector hitting the oil pan. i banged at it with a hammer (meh it's only $150 header). now after the install, the collector is visible just by crouching and looking underneath the car. man, i hope i didnt reverse the primaries.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:09 PM
Racer

This was a factory closeout item which does not fit flush on the cl or tl. The new batch will clear the oil pan perfectly. But the recent listing on the new design ranges from 250-280 on ebay. Watch out when you guys buy, make sure you read every line of the description. Some deals might just be too good to be true.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:37 PM
Burning Brakes

but then your thread over in the TL forum has a lot of people who was rubbing with the oil pan.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:11 PM
Meat stick

Originally Posted by keepingitclean
This was a factory closeout item which does not fit flush on the cl or tl. The new batch will clear the oil pan perfectly. But the recent listing on the new design ranges from 250-280 on ebay. Watch out when you guys buy, make sure you read every line of the description. Some deals might just be too good to be true.

Alright...i really tried to get this to work out, but this is it.

It seems that Megan is not so true to their want to make customers happy as they tell us. In the first post from "keepingitclean", he said

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...9&page=1&pp=25
"If you have megan racing headers and are experiencing any type of problems such as rubbing, leaking or improper fitment, please contact me in the format below. Megan racing is thriving to improve their quality and customer satisfaction. They are providing FREE replacement and FREE shipping of the downpipe without having you to send in your old one. They newly developed downpipe can take care of the problems listed above. Only about 3-4 sets of header are reported to be defective but needs to be taken care of. Lastly, even if you are passed the warranty period, feel free to contact me because you are covered.

***This limits to the v6 headers only.

1. Name
2. Address for the downpipe to be shipped
3. Contact number
4. Date of purchase
-proof of receipt(can be from ebay or vendor)
5. Type of problem

***Please sticky this mod"

Now that I am trying to get him to cover what he offered, he says that since the auction did not say "Megan", there is no warranty (even thought I got all of the Megan documentation with the shipment).....additionally, he now states that since there is no warranty (which it never states in the auction) they will not cover the problem with the oil pan. But in his first post he states that warranty, even out of warranty, is covered.

I really think this comes down to Megan realizing they screwed up the design, and they are trying to screw people who are purchasing them after the fact.

I realize I am fucked, and that is fine. I just hope NO ONE else purchases their products. They seem to say one thing regarding customer satisfaction, and then bend you over once they have your money.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:41 AM
Instructor

start a new thread waring others of the megan headers.

you get what you pay for. you could say i was too cheap to buy alpha werks or obx, but pfft, i have two other project cars that need attention and funds.

again, with megan, unless you like to custom and fab your parts. beating the Y-pipe did help

oh and jaredgms, you goin to the bay area meet next month?
Old 03-29-2005, 01:19 AM
Safety Car

man i was just gonna say how maybee the front flex pipe would help some of the 1g's out with the fitment issues. i installed my stones bout 2 mos ago and havent had any problems yet, fitment or otherwise. alittle more expensive but fit perfect with no bending. i got a 1g 3.0 by the way. and the headers are made for the cl type s v6. with the little s bend in the back header.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:06 AM
Meat stick

Originally Posted by typeSb00st
start a new thread waring others of the megan headers.

you get what you pay for. you could say i was too cheap to buy alpha werks or obx, but pfft, i have two other project cars that need attention and funds.

again, with megan, unless you like to custom and fab your parts. beating the Y-pipe did help

oh and jaredgms, you goin to the bay area meet next month?
I'll be there