Man, you guys pull some stories out of your arses!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2002, 05:16 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So turning radio off actually helps? I remember PhiTL use to tell me that. He said to turn off A/C (obvious), radio, lights if possible, and close windows.

In all fairness, most of you guys are not giving the CLS/TLS any credit it deserves. The car is faster than some people think, it ain't no triple digit racer as the V8's are, but off the line it will shock lots of cars. IMO, I don't think the CLS/TLS has a very strong 3rd gear as some may think, but strong enough for a V6.
Old 02-27-2002, 05:55 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by AC
So turning radio off actually helps? I remember PhiTL use to tell me that. He said to turn off A/C (obvious), radio, lights if possible, and close windows.

In all fairness, most of you guys are not giving the CLS/TLS any credit it deserves. The car is faster than some people think, it ain't no triple digit racer as the V8's are, but off the line it will shock lots of cars. IMO, I don't think the CLS/TLS has a very strong 3rd gear as some may think, but strong enough for a V6.
Sorry, but the radio really doesn't help the speed itself. It's purely my need to focus better on the task at hand.

Besides I'm going to finish the details. I really had to make a quick exit and take care of something.

RUF -
Old 02-27-2002, 06:13 PM
Banned

I crapped on a Mustang GT the other night...a new one...you know..
He stopped racing after that....acting like he was too good to race me....hahahaha....whatever...street racing is about fast cars yes, but its also about the launch...and who knows how to launch. And I have crapped on GS4s too..
My losses of course have been to Camaros....a vette, modded RX7s...e55...clk55...the Amgs ripped me a new one on the freeway..as do the 540s...
My closest races have been with a modded 3000GT VR4 (he spotted me a sec at the track..) and e36 m3s....oh and a c43amg
Old 02-27-2002, 06:32 PM
Lead Footed

Originally posted by RUF87

I'm honored . . . j/k.

Seriously, what works for me is.

Turn off all accessories. (of course if its dark ya gotta keep the lights on) radio, a/c, fan, etc. I like it quiet, because it's a serious thing and I don't like unexpected distractions and want to hear everything I can from the engine and such. Just in case something starts to go wrong I can react quicker.

Next. VSA off, unless the road is a fairly slick black top and then the VSA tends to help out.

Now listen up, this is where the race is won or lost with cars that are barely quicker than ours.

You want to get the best holeshot you can off of the line. Since there are no xmas trees in street racing you have to find another means of timing your launch. I usually use the cross street light to anticipate the changing light.

Sorry, gotta run will come back to finish later.
RUF
Now for the rest of the story . . .

Timing the lanuch is VERY important. This is where most people lose the race. This is more than just stomping the pedal when the light turns green. You have to anticipate the light and holeshot them. Remember what drag racing is all about? It's not just about stomping the pedal of a fast car. Your reaction time at the light as well as shift points are a big part of the outcome. He who gets across the line wins. Doesn't matter if the other car is technically faster.

This is where no believers and 1sicklex types don't get it. Sorry guys, don't mean to be ugly about this point, but that is what real drag racing is all about

So, work on timing that light turning green. It can be worth up to 1/2 sec advantage. BTW - I don't know what kind of light I'd cut these days, but I used to be pretty good with my reaction times.

Now back to the sequence. Everthing's set. All's quite, I'm focus on the light, and as I see the cross light turn yellow I begin my powerbrake to 2300RPM. Shift is in 1st (Not SS mode or D3,4 or 5) I shift it myself. Always have because my personal tests tell me that my times are 1/2 sec quicker that way over the other two. Also, powerbraking at 2300 produces a short controlled tire spin, but not excessive. This, IMO is key. You want to get your engine to higher RPMs as quickly as possible because that's where your big HP and torque is. The quicker to VTEC range the better.

Still with me?

Now I'm off and running . . . forget the guy next to you. Watch the road and your RPMs. Why, because I shift at 7000-7200RPM. I find that based on both DYNO charts I've seen and my own feel of the engine still pulling at that point I'm able to maximize the time the engine spends in the higher RPM ranges. Again, where more HP is available. I shift 2nd and 3rd at the same points.

By doing this I'm at a higher speed as I reach the next gear. This I find IMO to be a factor in pulling the most in 3rd gear. Meaning that I think it is more important to run out 2nd and 3rd than 1st.

Now the real question everyone usually asks is. So you get more power out of your car and so you produce faster times with your TLS. Well yes and no.

My TLS is probably not any quicker as a rule. The difference is that I've maximized my cars potential and more often than not the other guys hasn't.

Let me 'splain.

For sake of argument, because I don't have the exact facts at my disposal, a BMW 330ci does 0-60 in 6.11 and the 1/4 in 14.63 at 99.2MPH. And a TLS is 6.7 and 14.9 at 97MPH. Okay, some test say faster others slower, but either way watch what happens. Wait a minute. The BMW test said its faster so it can never possible win. Read and weep how drag racing works.

We line up. The light changes and I holeshot him .4 secs. Add to that fact that I make a better launch worth another .2 sec. And finally, I take my car to the limit in 1st, 2nd and 3rd, the BMW driver is a bit more conservative or doesn't know how to drive a car. So, he loses another .05secs at each shift point.

Now add this up and you have .75seds. Now subtract the time he lost from his times and you have a BMW that take 15.38 to get through the 1/4 mile. What was the TLS's time? What, I won the race.

That's how it happens folks. There are other tidbits that help as well, but this will help you better understand how a slower car can win a race. Oh ya, this makes a difference even with automatics because there is nothing automatic about a races outcome. Just go and watch the pros race sometime.

RUF
Old 02-27-2002, 10:48 PM

Suddenly I no longer care
Old 02-27-2002, 11:05 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
WHAT?
Old 02-28-2002, 09:06 AM
Lead Footed

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Suddenly I no longer care

What!!!

You mean to say you no longer care if a GS400 could be beat???

Oh well. It happens to the best of us.

Just remember that just because a GS400 can be beat doesn't mean the TLS is faster. It just means the GS400 lost the race.

RUF
Old 02-28-2002, 08:27 PM

Hey, we all can agree that stock the TL/CL-S is fast.

Understand that even if your TL/CL were faster than my GS4, I would keep my slower car.

That is why I no longer care.
Old 02-28-2002, 08:39 PM
Lead Footed

I do not care if your TL can go o-60 in 3.7 sec and you do the 1/4 mile in 10 sec flat.

Still a TL.

As I stated I no longer care (as do most people about your TL).
Sounds like bitterness to me.

Remember, they are all just cars. Neither one is a classic.

My TL may be just that, even with its ups and downs, but even 1yr later I still enjoy my car.

And if beating a Lexus is what its all about, I can easily get a car that does it in a number of ways. But I've got nothing to prove. I drove a Honda EX prior to that, then a Chevy Turbo Sprint. I'm just conservative and that's why I chose the TL over the BMW, which I really wanted, but couldn't justify the $10K difference in price they wanted. It's not that much better, if much at all.

Such is life.

RUF
Old 02-28-2002, 09:20 PM

Why would I be bitter? Honestly? Why? The TL is not in the same class as the GS, that is why I no longer care. It's like the freshman trying to hang with the seniors.

Old 02-28-2002, 10:44 PM
Lead Footed

Why would I be bitter? Honestly? Why? The TL is not in the same class as the GS, that is why I no longer care. It's like the freshman trying to hang with the seniors.

Haha . .

Just don't forget all the freshman who took a starting position away from some senior.

Or the rookie from the seasoned vet.

Wait a minute. You mean that there is some rookie freshman out there that has my number???

By the way, I'm not worried either about being in the same class. But it sure is fun watching the upper class guys sweat it out when we prowl the streets and beat their faster more expensive luxury sports cars or at least hang with them. Man the shame of it.

RUF
Old 02-28-2002, 10:59 PM
Pro

Originally posted by RUF87

Haha . .

Just don't forget all the freshman who took a starting position away from some senior.

Or the rookie from the seasoned vet.

Wait a minute. You mean that there is some rookie freshman out there that has my number???

By the way, I'm not worried either about being in the same class. But it sure is fun watching the upper class guys sweat it out when we prowl the streets and beat their faster more expensive luxury sports cars or at least hang with them. Man the shame of it.

RUF
Hey! My "senior" hasn't lost to a Freshman yet. :P

Now boyz, play nice!
Old 03-01-2002, 10:33 AM

Oh, no probs with Ruf87 at all, just some rivalry!
Old 03-01-2002, 10:37 AM
Banned

Old 03-01-2002, 02:08 PM
Lead Footed

Oh, no probs with Ruf87 at all, just some rivalry!
Ya Bro. That all it is. We try to never get really nasty.
Just some good 'ol bickering.

Sort of like best friends who are always giving each other some $h!t. :P

But I got to keep it up as long as possible. I'm bound to run into a GS400 that wants to run and I'm really no fool. I know they are faster and odds are that I would be beat and Lex would never let me live it down. So I got to live it up while I can and practice on M3s and such until then.

RUF
Old 03-01-2002, 02:43 PM
Turbo's rule

I drove the GS400 and I was not impressed.
If the TL or CL is as fast as you guys say they are then it shouldn't be a problem...
The GS is a heavy car and slow of the line.
1/4 must be just enough to catch the GS.
One mtr. more and you are history:thumbsdn:
Old 03-01-2002, 05:55 PM

Johann, do they sell the GS 4 over there or just the 3.
You Euro guys are much harder to impress, I'll admit to that.
But objectively speaking the GS 400 was the fastest automatic sedan (and still is condsidering the XJR and E55 are limited production cars).

I assume you drive a 996 GT2 if u feel the GS4 is slow.

I am not a fan of quoting mag times, but Car & Driver got a 13.9 1/4 mile in a stock GS 430 WITHOUT E-shift.

Ruf87 your , now let's RACE!
Old 03-02-2002, 02:29 AM
Turbo's rule

In fact I think it was the GS430.
I don't know if Euro's are harder to impress, the cars do not differ that much anymore.
The stock models have a little softer suspension in the US but that's changing rapidly also and a lot of "sportive" people mount aftermarket suspensions anyway.
I drive a Volvo S60T5 myself, it's modded and has around 245 whp but that's not the reason why I was not impressed.
I think the GS felt heavy as a car altough it had very nice sport rims and good rubber on it.
The GS is a very nice autobahn burner but as with most Japanese cars in Europe they do not feel that confident above 130 mph.
My father drives a Lexus LS430 and here you can clearly feel that Lexus did a lot of work on the suspension of the new model.
The suspension is a little harder now and Lexus reapplied the suspension selector again to set it a little stiffer if you want it instead of the automatic function in the last LS400.
Automatics car be quick of the line but the GS doesn't seem to be the right car for that, once rolling it can really launch!
Old 03-03-2002, 05:10 PM

Johann, I cannot disagee with ya there! I am a HUGE fan of buying the Euro mags (CAR, EVO, Excellence, etc) because I love the views. It makes you more open minded about your car as well as others.

The GS has what we call L-tuned shocks and springs standard there and most mags think it is still to soft .

TTE does a good job making the GS more to EURO tastes!
Old 03-05-2002, 10:40 AM
GO SEMINOLES!!!

How is the GS 300 not in the same class as the TL, i could understand the 430/400 but 300? i respect the other things you say and i think your unbaised about most things, but this makes me think twice about what i originally thought....
Old 03-05-2002, 12:15 PM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Heh I just wanted to be post #100

CL'S
Old 03-05-2002, 12:27 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Blazin TL

How is the GS 300 not in the same class as the TL, i
Because it just isn't... j/k

I guess we're basing this decision on what most experts (MT, R&T, etc.) where they put the TL in same class as ES which IMO is about right.
Old 03-05-2002, 02:21 PM

Hey BlazinTL that is something I did not decide. Look at how magazine comparo's match up. Look at how the MANUFACTURERS position each other's cars in the line-up.

The Tl battles the ES and some IS buyers. I honestly think for the price, it's only real comp is the Maxima. You can't buy ANY Lexus under 30k. Acura really did a great job pricing the car.
Old 03-06-2002, 10:54 AM
Racer

A little unbiased opinion about the GS400 CL-S comparo.

My sister drives a GS400, I used to drive it almost every weekend until I got my CL-S! Yes, it is fast! They're both fast!

After I got my CL-S and was able to comfortably push it hard, I noticed that the GS400 did not seem so fast after all.

Yes, in most cases my CL-S would lose to the GS400, not by much though.

For a car which she paid almost 50K for, I really did expect a lot more, in comparison to my CL-S that is.

Or maybe, my CL-S is a great "speed-luxo value" for 30K.

Just a little unbiased opinion!
Old 03-06-2002, 12:35 PM

Oh no doubt the 2 are fast, but that is not the ENTIRE reason one pays 50k for it.

Old 03-06-2002, 12:47 PM
Racer

Oh no doubt the 2 are fast, but that is not the ENTIRE reason one pays 50k for it.

Agree with ya!

And your reason is...

Quality is there in both. I actually have more options on my CL-S than my sisters GS400.

Her interior is a bit more luxurious looking. Chrome, here and there, etc. And yes, she has 300 horses on tap.

Lexus owner seem to be sold fairly well on that "I drive a Lexus" quote.

Hey, we're all different. I would not pay 20K extra for a little more speed and a little more status.

My car impressed her, now she wishes she had gotten the navi in her car. She was also surprised when I told her I paid 30K

My roomate has a 540i, I'm also reletively equiped in comparison to one of BMW's top dog. He doesn't have navi, but does have a trip computer! No heated seats on his. He also paid well over 50K

Sure he drives a BMW, I'm just better equiped for 20K less.

Difference in opinions, that's all
Old 03-06-2002, 03:02 PM
Banned

My contribution to this discussion:

Old 03-06-2002, 06:53 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Another example........a new Z-28 was next to me, and we where goofin around.......HE SMOKED ME!!!!!!! But some how, some people on this board can beat a car like this
Old 03-06-2002, 07:41 PM

We need more contributions from PullT
Old 03-06-2002, 09:44 PM
Lead Footed

Originally posted by Nicky Pass
Another example........a new Z-28 was next to me, and we where goofin around.......HE SMOKED ME!!!!!!! But some how, some people on this board can beat a car like this
Not too surprised.

I probably could too then. :P

RUF
Old 03-06-2002, 09:45 PM
Lead Footed

Originally posted by Pull_T
My contribution to this discussion:

LOL . . . and cracking up.
Old 03-07-2002, 02:15 AM
Turbo's rule

Chick has amazing balance...
Old 03-07-2002, 08:59 AM
Banned

We need more contributions from PullT
This is the sagest post I've ever read on this forum.
Old 03-07-2002, 10:22 AM
Racer

This is the sagest post I've ever read on this forum.

Ah! Come on Pull_T

Come on dude! Get into the spirit of all this.
Old 03-07-2002, 11:34 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Gabo3k

Ah! Come on Pull_T

Come on dude! Get into the spirit of all this.

Old 03-07-2002, 11:35 AM
Racer

OK, guess you want to hang out with your buddies!
Old 03-10-2002, 11:52 AM

DO U UNDERSTAND THE WORDS COMING OUTTA MY MOUTH?
:pfawk: :sqntfawk: :pfawk:
Old 03-11-2002, 07:15 AM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 4 year old was looking at my computer screen as I pulled up this thread. She (very innocently) wants to know why the money (above) is doing "that"?

What the fuck do I tell her!
Old 03-11-2002, 08:48 AM
Banned

Originally posted by dustbuster4
My 4 year old was looking at my computer screen as I pulled up this thread. She (very innocently) wants to know why the money (above) is doing "that"?

What the fuck do I tell her!
Tell her they are wrestling?
Old 03-11-2002, 09:41 AM
Turbo's rule

My 4 year old son was looking at a MTV like channel where this girl took off her shirt leaving her in some nice underwear.
The first thing my son said was,

WOW Look at that MOM, Nice tits.!

Quick Reply: Man, you guys pull some stories out of your arses!!!!