lost to a saturn!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 10:21 PM
¿baCon?

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HockeyMan0920
leather...check, ass heaters...check. Girls splooge all over my leather seats, and they like the stick

Oh knows!! The power wheels is comin! Run kids run!

Its a with an intercooler.... get a corvette if u want a decent chevy.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:59 PM
slobalt defender

Received 348 Likes on 185 Posts
learn your car facts dude, a roots supercharged car can't have an intercooler. I'll give you one more guess of what that is though if you want to try.

Yes, base model cobalts are really really cheap, mine was pretty cheap too even though it's the top model. Isn't that a good thing though? Less money spent to make me happy.

Girls car? Most of the time when I see a TL or CL it's a girl driving it. A bug's life...haha. You know the CL is shaped like my car a bit.

We are all car enthusiasts here, can't we all just get along? I respect hondas unlike most domestic owners, i don't care if you all hate the looks of my car, but please don't try and insult me for owning it.

Last edited by Hockeyman; 11-02-2008 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:57 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ha ha... First post here I am.

I just came from an Acura to an 08 Cobalt SS. (Turbo and tuned right now) I love (or loved) them both.
Say WHATEVER you please about the Cobalt SS. But when modded they are no joke. Just like SRT-4's... I hate the crap out of them but hey... they aren't to be taken lightly in most cases.
Reliability? Well the 08 Cobalt is yet to be determined at this point being new.
The Acura? I modded it and drove it hard. One broken motor mount, and a wideband oxy sensor that suddenly just wouldn't stop throwing codes, go away... and throw some more.

Before the Acura I had a 95 Grand Am with the *cough* infamous 2.3 "Quad-Four" known for warping heads and blowing gaskets. Modded that too and that car REALLY got the shit kicked out of it cause I didn't know to respect cars at that point. A few things needing repair but nothing I wouldn't expect. Sold it at 155K miles, still running like a champ and starting every cold ass winter day. No engine problems... EVER.
So what am I saying?
I like many cars.. and having owned Chevy's and an Acura I love both. Some of you are just being rediculous.
Like in another Acura forum... they always brought up interior and crap. I know.. it's nice. If I cared THAT much I'd have bought another. But the Cobalt SS appealed to me and the interior wasn't that important. I'm quite happy with it.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:38 AM
¿baCon?

oh snap, its so clean i thought it was an i cooler -.-

theres a boosted cobalt at the hospital i work at, havent talked to the owner yet but the car is loud, im guessing an RFL blow off valve
Old 11-03-2008, 09:09 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by CH46ESeaKnight
Show me a car builder that does NOT have stories like that. You can find more of them here on Azine then I've seen on any other forum!
All you have to do is look up Consumer reports annual report. Reliablity catagory Honda/Acura on top. Chevy/Saturn....pretty close to the bottom.

Yes every manufacturer has stories...but the question is how many?
Numbers don't lie.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cbusAcuracls
All you have to do is look up Consumer reports annual report. Reliablity catagory Honda/Acura on top. Chevy/Saturn....pretty close to the bottom.

Yes every manufacturer has stories...but the question is how many?
Numbers don't lie.
That is true. I think more research would need to be done on that though.

Just speculation on my part here... but I think owners have quite a bit to do with it as well.

MAYBE I've just been lucky... I couldn't tell you. But I've had 3 GM vehicles prior to my Acura and didn't really have trouble with them. One I didn't have for a terribly long time cause it was a Chevette. LOL But the other two I don't know how long they lasted but both were sold with 140K+ miles and running good. In fact.. the one that I sold with 140K on it... outside of tires, brakes and the norm. Just a waterpump... that's it.
But I stay on top of oil changes, radiator flushes.... etc.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:08 PM
slobalt defender

Originally Posted by swoleCL
oh snap, its so clean i thought it was an i cooler -.-

theres a boosted cobalt at the hospital i work at, havent talked to the owner yet but the car is loud, im guessing an RFL blow off valve
we can't have BOV's either, unless you have a turbo swap.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:44 AM
¿baCon?

we can't have BOV's either, unless you have a turbo swap.
im gonna try to catch him in the parkin lot, and find out what hes got, another guy I work with has an older GS-T and he says that kid is boosted around 350 in the cobalt w/ a sequential BOV... DAMN.

I'll definitly get the down-low though.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:02 PM
slobalt defender

Cobalt owners talk a lot of shit btw...one of the only things I hate about owning it. Most of them think if you have stage 2 you are a god, but in reality you are just a high 13 second car. However if you do find out he has a turbo swapped LSJ, watch out, he'll be pushing at least mid 300's.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:27 PM
i heart latin chicks

Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts
Cobalt owners talk a lot of shit btw...one of the only things I hate about owning it. Most of them think if you have stage 2 you are a god, but in reality you are just a high 13 second car. However if you do find out he has a turbo swapped LSJ, watch out, he'll be pushing at least mid 300's.
sorry I havent searched and I'm too lazy to at the moment, but are the cobalts RWD or FWD? My guess being FWD... but I
Old 11-04-2008, 06:41 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nbennettksu
sorry I havent searched and I'm too lazy to at the moment, but are the cobalts RWD or FWD? My guess being FWD... but I
FWD... also to note. The 08+ are turbo from the factory. Though probably not as fast as a turbo swapped LSJ
Old 11-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Cobalt guys. nobodys trying to insult you. at least im not. your car made it into this conversation and everyones voicing an opinion. heres my view: from what you guys said about interior and looks not really mattering cuz it's quick and it appealed you i can just say that if i was shopping for something like that it wouldnt be a cobalt or an srt4. i'd just buy a civic and drop 5gs and still be able to blow away CL's, TL's, Cobalts and SRT4s regardless. but like i said in a previous post i HATE civics. you guys like your car and us CL owners like ours. fin
Old 11-04-2008, 11:14 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GrandeInter10
Cobalt guys. nobodys trying to insult you. at least im not. your car made it into this conversation and everyones voicing an opinion. heres my view: from what you guys said about interior and looks not really mattering cuz it's quick and it appealed you i can just say that if i was shopping for something like that it wouldnt be a cobalt or an srt4. i'd just buy a civic and drop 5gs and still be able to blow away CL's, TL's, Cobalts and SRT4s regardless. but like i said in a previous post i HATE civics. you guys like your car and us CL owners like ours. fin
I'm with that.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Old 11-06-2008, 07:40 PM
slobalt defender

I like the looks and interior, but ok.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:35 AM
i heart latin chicks

hmm
Old 11-10-2008, 07:35 AM
i heart latin chicks

:ibglorifiedcavalier:
Old 11-11-2008, 01:59 AM
Intermediate

I'll race ya... show ya what the glorified Cavy can do.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:32 PM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
arent the ss/tc's taking cars way outa their league? i mean they go 0-60 in like 5.5seconds. pretty impressive for a so called shitty car. plus GMs reliability has went waaaay up in the last 2-3 years.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by invisiblewar
arent the ss/tc's taking cars way outa their league? i mean they go 0-60 in like 5.5seconds. pretty impressive for a so called shitty car. plus GMs reliability has went waaaay up in the last 2-3 years.
They can go 0-60 in 0 seconds for all I care. If GM's sales stay on the same path, your precious Cobalt won't be around. GM and Chrysler are facing bankruptcy! Either they merge together or they receive government help in order to survive. Go buy more Cobalts!!!!!!! Maybe you can save them, I mean they are pretty inexpensive, I'm going to go buy a pack of 10 right now!
Old 11-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by invisiblewar
arent the ss/tc's taking cars way outa their league? i mean they go 0-60 in like 5.5seconds..
They can go 0-60 in 0 seconds for all I care. If GM's sales stay on the same path, your precious Cobalt won't be around. GM and Chrysler are facing bankruptcy! Either they merge together or they receive government help in order to survive. Go buy more Cobalts!!!!!!! Maybe you can save them, I mean they are pretty inexpensive, I'm going to go buy a pack of 10 right now!
Old 11-12-2008, 07:09 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
5gs into a civic. You must be able to build an awesome engine and get great prices on suspension, tires and brake parts. I must have passed way beyond that mark w/ my past GS-R done allmotor w/ coilover suspension and running RT-215 Azenis and I probably still would get my ass handed to me by a new Cobalt SS, especially in a drag race.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:36 AM
slobalt defender

Originally Posted by AnthraciteBeast
gtfo...who cares, cobalt's are being discontinued for the new Cruze anyway. Let's see how GM does with the new Camaro before you think for sure they will go bankrupt, they already have 6000+ preorders.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:38 AM
slobalt defender

never said i disagreed with that, but who cares really. We did evolve from the cavi although they are on the J platform and cobalts are on the Delta platform.

c.o.b.a.l.t.
cavalier on boost and limited traction
Old 11-13-2008, 10:12 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man...this thread is heated!
Old 11-13-2008, 04:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

gtfo...who cares, cobalt's are being discontinued for the new Cruze anyway. Let's see how GM does with the new Camaro before you think for sure they will go bankrupt, they already have 6000+ preorders.
I'm not saying that they are going bankrupt for sure but I find it REALLY hard to believe that one car is going to save an entire company
Old 11-13-2008, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by monkeybutt
5gs into a civic. You must be able to build an awesome engine and get great prices on suspension, tires and brake parts. I must have passed way beyond that mark w/ my past GS-R done allmotor w/ coilover suspension and running RT-215 Azenis and I probably still would get my ass handed to me by a new Cobalt SS, especially in a drag race.
5gs in parts. i'd do the labor myself you dont know very much about building up a track car do you?
Old 11-13-2008, 11:07 PM
Racer

5gs in parts. i'd do the labor myself you dont know very much about building up a track car do you?
Not everyone has your knowledge I suppose. So you could build your track car to run against a car w/ the amenities of a street legal Cobalt SS. Awesome, you da man! But don't forget the heated race bucket. Good thing you hate Civics.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:24 PM

Not everyone has your knowledge I suppose. So you could build your track car to run against a car w/ the amenities of a street legal Cobalt SS. Awesome, you da man! But don't forget the heated race bucket. Good thing you hate Civics.
Yawn. Amenities are irrelevant in this conversation. But hey how bout just putting ThinJim's turbo CL up against an ultra-modded Cobalt SS and calling it a day then. Better looking car, just as fast if not faster at ~500whp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRCVhaGT-80
Old 11-13-2008, 11:58 PM
Racer

Yawn. Amenities are irrelevant in this conversation. But hey how bout just putting ThinJim's turbo CL up against an ultra-modded Cobalt SS and calling it a day then. Better looking car, just as fast if not faster at ~500whp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRCVhaGT-80
Yeah, now I do believe that ThinJim may be able to put 5Gs into a Civic and come up w/ a streetable (carb/smog? maybe) competitor to Cobalt SSs and the like. Agreed.
By the way how do you like your Potenza RE-01Rs for handling? I was thinking of Direzza Z1 Starspecs or RT-615s, but I hear the Potenzas are excellent, too.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:11 AM
¿baCon?

Originally Posted by AnthraciteBeast
lol @ 10 pack.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:12 AM
¿baCon?

still look like girl cars to me. like little turbo jelly beans.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:42 AM

lmmfao funny shit

Yeah, now I do believe that ThinJim may be able to put 5Gs into a Civic and come up w/ a streetable (carb/smog? maybe) competitor to Cobalt SSs and the like. Agreed.
By the way how do you like your Potenza RE-01Rs for handling? I was thinking of Direzza Z1 Starspecs or RT-615s, but I hear the Potenzas are excellent, too.
Meh. they get excellent traction but they gotta get warm to get really sticky. i'm happy with em tho.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:03 AM
¿baCon?

^ +1 I potenzas on an accord back in the day, those were damn good tires, they lasted what seemed an enternity.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:16 AM
slobalt defender

and it's delicious

I've always wanted to get a name started for cobalts like the srt4 has....hmmmm Jelly beans > Skittles
Old 11-15-2008, 12:02 AM
Intermediate

And Cl's look like an upscaled Thunderbird......

Old 11-15-2008, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Zander916
And Cl's look like an upscaled Thunderbird......

meh. they both look better than a cobalt. hell my car is six years older, probly as fast, has a nicer interior and ext and is much more likely to make it to 200000+ miles especially after my 6spd swap.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:48 PM
Intermediate

meh. they both look better than a cobalt. hell my car is six years older, probly as fast, has a nicer interior and ext and is much more likely to make it to 200000+ miles especially after my 6spd swap.
lol if you say so.

What's your dyno? 1/4 mile?
Old 11-15-2008, 11:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Zander916
lol if you say so.

What's your dyno? 1/4 mile?
No 1/4s, but some 1/8s here: https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-2001-2003-50/my-blown-cl-p-track-690084/
I'm not used to interpreting 1/8 mi. runs, but probably better showings on longer 1/4 runs.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:08 PM
Intermediate

So in the ballpark of mid 14's.

That = not as fast vs. a stock ss/tc. Let alone a modded one.

Looking better is an opinion.

I don't care about interior. I just owned an Acura and the interior was nice. It wasn't a selling point in buying the Cobalt. Cobalt SS buyers could buy something with better interior for that money. Point is... we don't care.

I've had two GM's previous to this. One at 127K and the other 155K before I sold them. Neither suffered serious repairs at any point. 200K is quite possible.

I don't need 6 speeds because I have bucketloads of torque. My Acura did have 6 speeds.

Quick Reply: lost to a saturn!!!!