Late model Mustang GT challenge

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2001, 06:35 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Late model Mustang GT challenge

I've read several times on this board that you should stay away from late model GT's in a 0 to 80 sprint. Well . . ... I have a different story to report.
This morning on the way to work it just so happens a late model Mustang GT and myself stop at a light. There is clear road ahead of us with only a large rail road overpass in our way. The overpass is about a mile in length with approx. a 7 degree incline. My only problem is I'm behind the GT him with 2 cars to my left. The light turns green and we both take off at a faster than normal pace. As soon as I clear the other cars I hear him floor it. About 2 milli seconds later I floor it, but leave the tranny in auto. 60 mph comes up in a hurry and I'm no longer behind him, but my nose has advanced from his rear bumper to his front door. At the top of the overpass (about 80 mph) we are dead even. Looking out to the bottom of the overpass we both see a deputy sheriff pulling onto the road. Needless to say that is where the challenge ended.
Maybe the rail road overpass was the equalizer, but MY CLS made up an entire car length on the Mustang GT. It was also way cooler than normal in Florida this morning: 55 degress. My CLS just loved sucking down that cool air. As you can see from my board name my car is bone stock.
This is all I just wanted to relay that the CLS is every bit as quick as a Mustang GT. On a real drag strip the challenge may come out reversed, but on the street where overpasses and pot holes live it may be a different story.
Old 11-06-2001, 07:27 AM
Intermediate

What road were you on in Orlando?

The only suckers that ever want to try jumpin' a light are the g-damn SUVs. Pretty much a big joke but fun anyway.

See ya at a stoplight...
Old 11-06-2001, 08:31 AM
Banned

The rail road overpass at Orange Ave and Sand Lake Blvd. There is a new Chevron on that corner.
Old 11-06-2001, 08:35 AM
Intermediate

Ya, I know the one you mean. I use Orange Ave to go home everyday. Do you drive a black cl-s? I may have seen you.
Old 11-06-2001, 09:01 AM
Banned

Yes, that was probably me. A black on black CLS. I'm at that intersection every day at 6:55a and 4:00p. The GT challenge was at 6:55a. If you see him it's a blue late model GT. He seems willing to run up to at least when the sheriff pulls onto the road.
Old 11-06-2001, 09:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: Late model Mustang GT challenge

Originally posted by bone_stock
I've read several times on this board that you should stay away from late model GT's in a 0 to 80 sprint. Well . . ... I have a different story to report.
This morning on the way to work it just so happens a late model Mustang GT and myself stop at a light. There is clear road ahead of us with only a large rail road overpass in our way. The overpass is about a mile in length with approx. a 7 degree incline. My only problem is I'm behind the GT him with 2 cars to my left. The light turns green and we both take off at a faster than normal pace. As soon as I clear the other cars I hear him floor it. About 2 milli seconds later I floor it, but leave the tranny in auto. 60 mph comes up in a hurry and I'm no longer behind him, but my nose has advanced from his rear bumper to his front door. At the top of the overpass (about 80 mph) we are dead even. Looking out to the bottom of the overpass we both see a deputy sheriff pulling onto the road. Needless to say that is where the challenge ended.
Maybe the rail road overpass was the equalizer, but MY CLS made up an entire car length on the Mustang GT. It was also way cooler than normal in Florida this morning: 55 degress. My CLS just loved sucking down that cool air. As you can see from my board name my car is bone stock.
This is all I just wanted to relay that the CLS is every bit as quick as a Mustang GT. On a real drag strip the challenge may come out reversed, but on the street where overpasses and pot holes live it may be a different story.
I RECENTLY POSTED about going against a 2001 gt vert, 5 speed from 50-110, staying dead even with him(friend), so i agree with you. if the gt does not get an absolutely perfect launch, close race
good going
Old 11-06-2001, 09:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
I've 99+ GT hunting myself...those fockers are scared i think...ever since i got my headers no action...and the MM is right around the corner...but, so is a ugly yellow(the color not the car) S2000.he's gonna get knoe the pecking oreder around here too
Old 11-06-2001, 09:55 AM
Banned

Count me in with the Black / Black CLS too. I work in the e-xpedient building on vineland near kerkman.

I had no idea there were that many O-town-ers here.

Originally posted by REDLINER
Ya, I know the one you mean. I use Orange Ave to go home everyday. Do you drive a black cl-s? I may have seen you.
Old 11-06-2001, 10:33 AM
Intermediate

I know GTs are supposed to be all-powerful and everything but it still stands to reason that if the driver sucks driving/shifting, they won't do much in a stop-light race. You gotta admit the VTEC makes it pretty easy. I can blow away most cars and still get a little over 26 mpg.
Old 11-06-2001, 10:33 AM
Banned

Either:

1) He wasn't racing
2) Had a falsely badged V6
3) Was a 96-98 GT and not 99+
4) Poor driving

Otherwise, you would not pull from a roll.
Old 11-06-2001, 12:08 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Pull_T
Either:

1) He wasn't racing
4) Poor driving

Excuse me, but I don't recall seeing you there. I know what I saw as well as heard. The only thing I couldn't tell was the tranny in the GT. If he was shifting for himself he must have speed shifted. I didn't hear a lift for gear change.
Old 11-06-2001, 12:10 PM
Banned

Either:

1) He wasn't racing
4) Poor driving

Actually Pull, wouldn't pulling from a roll actually be to the benefit of our CLs because of the Auto, thus not allowing the Mustang to do a drop clutch...and not to mention we hit our powerband a lot quicker rather than the Mustang using all it's low end torque to beat on us from a dead stop?
Old 11-06-2001, 12:31 PM
RRRRMMMM, RRRRRMMMMM...

To: pull_T

Hey Pull_T.

All I hear from you is crap about the CL and how your Stang is better. After all this is a CL site, not a Mustang site.

I did look into the Stangs before bying my CL-S. I couldn't stand the quality and materials in the interior. All around built quality is very poor.

Yes, the Stang is a good car, only if you want straight line speed.
But if you want dependability, outstanding quality all around, good acceleration and handling, I dounbt anyone would buy a Mustang!

Not an attack on you or your car, just constructive and well-justified comments.
Old 11-06-2001, 12:58 PM
6 speed...

Re: To: pull_T

Originally posted by Gabo2k
Hey Pull_T.

All I hear from you is crap about the CL and how your Stang is better. After all this is a CL site, not a Mustang site.
you may have heard cl bashing from someone else, but you didn't hear it from pull_t, and certainly not on this forum.

he may have a difference of opinion regarding whether a cl-s can take a gt from a roll, but that's hardly bashing.
Old 11-06-2001, 01:14 PM
Banned

Originally posted by moomaster_99
Actually Pull, wouldn't pulling from a roll actually be to the benefit of our CLs because of the Auto, thus not allowing the Mustang to do a drop clutch...and not to mention we hit our powerband a lot quicker rather than the Mustang using all it's low end torque to beat on us from a dead stop?
Well, I would agree and disagree. The 5 speed would be better from a roll, assuming you downshifted to the best gear. Up to about 60-65, that gear would be 2nd, and unless the GT driver was very serious about trying to race, he might not want to drop into 2nd at that speed. With the GT in 3rd from 50-80 or so, the CL-S prolly could pull on it until the very tall 3rd gear got into the powerband.
Old 11-06-2001, 01:42 PM
Banned

Re: To: pull_T

Hey Pull_T.

I did look into the Stangs before bying my CL-S. I couldn't stand the quality and materials in the interior. All around built quality is very poor.

Yes, the Stang is a good car, only if you want straight line speed.
But if you want dependability, outstanding quality all around, good acceleration and handling, I dounbt anyone would buy a Mustang!

Not an attack on you or your car, just constructive and well-justified comments.
Gabo2k -

I really do like the CL-S and am not trying to bash it here. Like tankmonkey stated, I am only disagreeing/debating this particluar race. I realize it is an Acura Site, not a Mustang site and I don't come here to troll or talk shit. The disagreement really doesn't stem from any brand loyalty or anything, just one racer's perspective. I just have seen what the CL-S can do on the track compared to GTs I've seen at the track and based my opinion on that, just as I would "defend" Camaros from CL-S kills and the CL-S from Shaka/Shalom and his Maxima kills.

I have had nothing but good experiences with the build quality of my Cobra. My car has been to the shop one time for service in 38k, an ABS sensor giving me a false warning light...and my car is driven VERY hard...not a single squeak or rattle, either. All cars have their build/quality/reliabilty issue, so it would be unfair for me to say that my experience of no mechanical problems and no build quality problems is the norm; just as it would be unfair for me to claim that the faulty trannies, rattling moonroofs, etc. that some CL-S owners have experienced is the norm.

I would disagree that the Mustang is only good for straight line acceleration. It can be autoX'ed, road raced, etc. as well as being a nice highway cruiser. I would wager that a stock Mustang GT and definitely my Cobra can "handle" as well as the CL-S.

It's just different wants/needs from car owners and I have stated here before that if I were in the market for a sport sedan it would be the CL-S I would choose, or the TL-S if I needed a bit more room.

Overall, I just want you to know I am not here to be disagreeable, but to learn about cars, debate and even have the occasional freindly smack talk. I realize I can be seen as an "outsider" or "troll", but the folks on this board who have been here a while realize that I do have something to offer around here.
Old 11-06-2001, 02:42 PM
Banned

Re: Re: To: pull_T

Gabo2k -

I really do like the CL-S and am not trying to bash it here. Like tankmonkey stated, I am only disagreeing/debating this particluar race. I realize it is an Acura Site, not a Mustang site and I don't come here to troll or talk shit. The disagreement really doesn't stem from any brand loyalty or anything, just one racer's perspective. I just have seen what the CL-S can do on the track compared to GTs I've seen at the track and based my opinion on that, just as I would "defend" Camaros from CL-S kills and the CL-S from Shaka/Shalom and his Maxima kills.

I have had nothing but good experiences with the build quality of my Cobra. My car has been to the shop one time for service in 38k, an ABS sensor giving me a false warning light...and my car is driven VERY hard...not a single squeak or rattle, either. All cars have their build/quality/reliabilty issue, so it would be unfair for me to say that my experience of no mechanical problems and no build quality problems is the norm; just as it would be unfair for me to claim that the faulty trannies, rattling moonroofs, etc. that some CL-S owners have experienced is the norm.

I would disagree that the Mustang is only good for straight line acceleration. It can be autoX'ed, road raced, etc. as well as being a nice highway cruiser. I would wager that a stock Mustang GT and definitely my Cobra can "handle" as well as the CL-S.

It's just different wants/needs from car owners and I have stated here before that if I were in the market for a sport sedan it would be the CL-S I would choose, or the TL-S if I needed a bit more room.

Overall, I just want you to know I am not here to be disagreeable, but to learn about cars, debate and even have the occasional freindly smack talk. I realize I can be seen as an "outsider" or "troll", but the folks on this board who have been here a while realize that I do have something to offer around here.
If you go back to the original post it had nothing to do with the CLS and Mustang GT on a track. In fact I mentioned that the roles would probably be reversed on a track. This post was about a street race that involved a hill of sorts. With those conditions outlined and on this particular day the CLS gained on the Mustang.
I don't think you were being flammed for being a Mustang fan. It was instead the tone you set with your words. "Other wise you would not pull from a roll". You can not be that definitive unless you were there and know all the circumstances. Once again my .02 cents.
Old 11-06-2001, 02:48 PM
RRRRMMMM, RRRRRMMMMM...

To Pull_T

So, in my opinion, the CL-S is the best in its market. A CL-S (luxury-performance coupe) is not in the same market as a Cobra (sports coupe). Yes, there are differences here. And as you pointed out, speed is one of them.

I guess my point in general is that considering the speed factor, I would gladly take luxury, comfort, and amenities, etc. versus a little faster car with the build qualities of a Ford. After all, anyone here would easily of been able to purchase a Cobra with their 30K plus spent on the CL-S. If there is a faster car on the market within the CL-‘S targeted market, be certain that it is either much more expensive, or speed has come at the expense of amenities, build quality, etc.

If it were pure speed I wanted, I would have purchased a Lotus 7 and killed everyone out there!
Old 11-06-2001, 02:53 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: To: pull_T

Originally posted by bone_stock

If you go back to the original post it had nothing to do with the CLS and Mustang GT on a track. In fact I mentioned that the roles would probably be reversed on a track. This post was about a street race that involved a hill of sorts. With those conditions outlined and on this particular day the CLS gained on the Mustang.
I don't think you were being flammed for being a Mustang fan. It was instead the tone you set with your words. "Other wise you would not pull from a roll". You can not be that definitive unless you were there and know all the circumstances. Once again my .02 cents.
Like I said in my reply to moonmaster, you could very well have pulled on him if you caught him in the right gear, but that would fall into my poor driving/not really racing response above.

I don't deny that you beat this guy, just pointing out reasons why your slower car could take down a faster car, and that it is not really accurate to state that the CL-S is every bit as fast as the GT. It's not.
Old 11-06-2001, 03:01 PM
Banned

Re: To Pull_T

So, in my opinion, the CL-S is the best in its market. A CL-S (luxury-performance coupe) is not in the same market as a Cobra (sports coupe). Yes, there are differences here. And as you pointed out, speed is one of them.

I guess my point in general is that considering the speed factor, I would gladly take luxury, comfort, and amenities, etc. versus a little faster car with the build qualities of a Ford. After all, anyone here would easily of been able to purchase a Cobra with their 30K plus spent on the CL-S. If there is a faster car on the market within the CL-‘S targeted market, be certain that it is either much more expensive, or speed has come at the expense of amenities, build quality, etc.

If it were pure speed I wanted, I would have purchased a Lotus 7 and killed everyone out there!
I think we're on the same page...you want/need the extra comfort/luxury/amenities of the CL-S and I want/need the extra performance of the Cobra. That's cool.

I'll let my pevious statement about the build quality of my Ford stand on it's own.
Old 11-06-2001, 04:11 PM
Banned

BTW, Pull_T - just wanted to commend you on one of the most mature posts here in a while. I appreciate hearing some wisedom intermixed with the testosterone around here.

Well done.

Gabo2k -

Old 11-06-2001, 04:46 PM
6 speed...

what a teacher's pet...
Old 11-06-2001, 04:59 PM
Banned

Originally posted by tankmonkey
what a teacher's pet...
Yeah...I'm going to have to do some more "I like to eat paste" and "I bent my wookie" posts now.
Old 11-06-2001, 05:12 PM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by tankmonkey

you may have heard cl bashing from someone else, but you didn't hear it from pull_t, and certainly not on this forum.

he may have a difference of opinion regarding whether a cl-s can take a gt from a roll, but that's hardly bashing.
I second that. I havent seen him bash our cars like Shaka/Shalom. In fact, I would be glad to see at our up coming CL meet.
Old 11-06-2001, 05:15 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: To: pull_T

Originally posted by SilverKnight

I second that. I havent seen him bash our cars like Shaka/Shalom. In fact, I would be glad to see at our up coming CL meet.
I was thinking about going to that. I'll keep an eye on the details in the Car Talk post.

Hopefully, I'll have my "in the mail" mods on by then.
Old 11-07-2001, 06:58 AM
Intermediate

As a past owner of a 5.0L Mustang with some of the simple mods like exhaust and removing the baffle from the intake, off the line there wasn't much around that could take you between stop lights. But throw a curve or highway on-ramp into the equation and it got ugly for my basically stock car.

Mustangs just do not have the finesse of the CL-S. It's like what Ford can't do with engineering they do with displacement. I remember after driving to work in the Mustang, you'd have to clear your head because of the rattles and vibration.

Don't get me wrong, the power was awesome and you can't beat low-end torque for the thrill, but after driving the highway, I wanted a nice car which went fast at a good price. Only the Acura met my requirements.