Just port and polished my Type S TB and Intake Mani

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 10:47 PM
O-FL Motorsports Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and I can vouch for the gains personally.
As I can vouch for the gains on that engine, not his car specifically. How would I with no dyno, or track times?
Old 01-11-2005, 10:50 PM
-S namyaC-

Originally Posted by O-FL Motorsports
When the person who posted this posted for a reason and is going to get dyno tested.
It's pointless with no before dyno.

For the warranty, they will bring a car in and work on it completely without seeing the inside of the engine, and if they by chance open it up, it will have some carbon buildup and look the same to them as stock, as they don't know the difference.
Like I said before, I wouldn't be putting this is writing - you might find yourself paying for an engine sometime down the road.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
noone 's against this... or you..we just want proof before we get people lined up to get it done..unless we get good solid before and afters you will have doubters
Old 01-11-2005, 11:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
As I can vouch for the gains on that engine, not his car specifically. How would I with no dyno, or track times?
show us the results in dynos and time slips, then you will have some ground to stand on.

until then, prepare for people to be skeptical. it's not like you are the first person to do this, but nobody else we know of has had good results. especially on an n/a application.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by mattg
but nobody else we know of has had good results. especially on an n/a application.
Especially when he doesn't have other standard bolt-on modifications like headers/pulleys/catback exhaust.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:29 AM
Banned

you guys once again .... like i said on the tl forums

34896726783 million hp to the wheels doesnt meen shit if the power band is all over the place and not fluid/flowing in a regular manner.

You guys are making it seem like this will fail and will laugh when it does, but ironically oyu are basing it off of others results, who attempted this in different fashions with different setups.

MR. Steve; you seem very pessimistic about the whole situation, which is understandable, but you shouldnt be pessimistic to the point where you are prejudging opinions on this.

TRACK TIMES WILL BE POSTED TOMORROW
Old 01-12-2005, 12:37 AM
-S namyaC-

Originally Posted by Hurleysurf24
You guys are making it seem like this will fail and will laugh when it does, but ironically oyu are basing it off of others results, who attempted this in different fashions with different setups.
It's not ironic. Most prob see your "different fashion" as not as good as the others based upon things pointed out by some of the other guys - so it seems even less likely to perform as anticipated. These guys aren't noobs, they've seen it many times - they have pretty firm ground to stand on when staking their claims.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:29 AM
Banned

Thank yo ufor summing it up ... allthough I myself am not exactly hardcore oldschool acura like these guys have been ... "arent noobs"

i have had my fair share of tearing apart and building motors ... ie. 1.8t volkswagen motors, sr20det, b18c5 which was completely worked and tuned to 520whp with a gt30r in my civic hatch.

Needless to say I have lots of history and knowledge in knowing what works, when it works, how it works, and why it works.

I took this "fashion" as you put it .. because I wanted to be different, and I knew there would be noticeable gains as well.

So I have pretty firm ground to stand on as well. Not because I've tinkered around with the J32 but because I as well as Greg, the guy that did the P AND P have been around the block and have seen what can help and hurt performance of a vehicle.

So to sum up, anyone that thinks I dont have firm grounds to stake my claims on is mistaken.

But lets just wait until the track times tomorrow thank you
Old 01-12-2005, 04:09 AM
Parting out 02 Type S :(

Thank yo ufor summing it up ... allthough I myself am not exactly hardcore oldschool acura like these guys have been ... "arent noobs"

i have had my fair share of tearing apart and building motors ... ie. 1.8t volkswagen motors, sr20det, b18c5 which was completely worked and tuned to 520whp with a gt30r in my civic hatch.

Needless to say I have lots of history and knowledge in knowing what works, when it works, how it works, and why it works.

I took this "fashion" as you put it .. because I wanted to be different, and I knew there would be noticeable gains as well.

So I have pretty firm ground to stand on as well. Not because I've tinkered around with the J32 but because I as well as Greg, the guy that did the P AND P have been around the block and have seen what can help and hurt performance of a vehicle.

So to sum up, anyone that thinks I dont have firm grounds to stake my claims on is mistaken.

But lets just wait until the track times tomorrow thank you
I hope you really do have the history, cuz it says on your profile that your 19!! Even im older than that! I havent read all the posts, but from where i see it, this mod should net some worthwhile gains even on an NA car. Have you noticed any gains from the butt dyno?
Without a before and after dyno, people are skeptical because this type of thing has been done in the past with dynos and the results werent good.
A track time will not really help as track times can vary a whole half a second in the same day. But good luck and if it doesnt benefit, at least you gave it a shot and it wasnt expensive.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Have you guys even ever seen the inside of one? It is very rough and unfinished. I am trying to get in contact with some of my previous customers to see if any still have the dyno's. Power is there, end of story...
Have you read the posts?? If you had you would have seen that there are links to three posts which detailed this process and include pictures.

No one is against this; in fact, most want this to be successful. But history has shown that porting the manifold had little impact on the J32A2 engine. Maybe combined with others things it may help but not with an essentially stock engine.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:30 AM
Suzuka Master

TRACK TIMES WILL BE POSTED TOMORROW
No one wants it to fail and will laugh. We are sharing our experiences on this matter but you seem to take it too personally.

Different fashion and setups?? How many ways are there to smooth out passages besides by hand with an air grinder or using extrude hone. Plus, what setups are you referring to?? Other people had headers and an intake?? The end results is essentially the same when it comes to manifold work and the methods do not very much.

Also, track times are still not a good indicator regardless of the results, good or bad. There are too many variables not under control. In other words, even if the results were negative, I still wouldn't discount the work. Especially in the minimal HP amounts we are talking about.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:07 AM
Team Owner

^ What he said, Good luck at the track
Old 01-12-2005, 12:09 PM
Banned

thank you ... i am going tonight because the variables will be close .. if not the same as the last time i ran at the track with a 14.9

so ill let everyone know how it goes tonight

thanks mr steve i think we are on the same page now. im only 19 lol but I've been working on cars for a long while, i started with my hatch which i sold and then my parents insisted i get a jetta which sucked so i traded that in for my acura
Old 01-12-2005, 12:11 PM
Suzuka Master

thank you ... i am going tonight because the variables will be close .. if not the same as the last time i ran at the track with a 14.9
So the same exact temp, baro, humidity, track prep, tread on tires, etc.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:31 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by scalbert
So the same exact temp, baro, humidity, track prep, tread on tires, etc.

winter gas vs. summer gas, wind speed and direction....
Old 01-12-2005, 01:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

so ill let everyone know how it goes tonight

thanks mr steve i think we are on the same page now. im only 19 lol but I've been working on cars for a long while, i started with my hatch which i sold and then my parents insisted i get a jetta which sucked so i traded that in for my acura
Hurly- i don't think moroso is open this week,that is if your in FLL this week, the first race of the season isn't until the 22 Jan, and the first test and tune isn't until the 19th, call to be sure. (561) 622-1400
Old 01-12-2005, 02:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Track times are useless with all the variables mentioned above (driver, temp, humidity, wind, yada, yada, yada).

Shit I could do absolutely nothing to my car and my track times could vary from day to day.

You need to go find a stock TB bolt it back on your car and then do a before and after dyno.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:11 PM
Banned

notice how i said the variables would be fairly close ?

temperature was 79 when i got my first run in and humidity was edging at 80 percent. Pretty close to where it was last time. Even had the same level of gas at 1/4 tank.

My best run of the night was a 14.6@97 and change this is with the port and polish intake mani and tb, the cai, and VAFC UNTUNED ! All points and engadgements on the VAFC were left to stock specifications, so all i used it for was the cool gauges on it at the track. I will post the slip later tonight or tomorrow when Im not lazy lol. I also had some heavy ass 19" Axis Mod on the car as well, so if that makes a difference IDK.

Last time I ran at the track I pulled a best of 14.9. This was consistent with the rest of my runs which all ranged in the 14.9-14.96 range that night. It was around 80ish and 80-90% humidity with only a CAI and the stock 17" on the car with 1/4 tank as well.

Notice how i never said conditions were identical, or the same in any of the previous posts. So dont point fingers and poke at me making it seem like i did, and making it seem like im stupid for infact realizing there are differences in baromatic pressure and the likings.

Id say 3 tenths of a difference is noticeable enough to say that there IS IN FACT a gain. And dont go .. oh the 2-3 degree difference in the temperature and the 10% less humidity yielded 3 tenths less in the quarter. Because that is basically impossible, especially considering the specifications of our J32 motor and weight of the car. Infact unless theres somewhere of a 10 degree temp difference and a humidity change of atleast 50% i dont think there would be much difference of any track time. Maybee .1 of a second ? Again, it is not likely that the conditions dropped the car .3 of a second. And unless im running with a 60tail wind i dont think theres going to be enough of a push to make it .3 of second.

BTW i wasnt at Morosso

Ill be dyno tuning on Saturday I think.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask, Ill be more then happy to answer em for ya
Old 01-13-2005, 05:12 PM
Banned

Anyone wanna come dynotune with me on Saturday in Orlando ?
Old 01-13-2005, 05:30 PM
Team Owner

What was your previous MPH as that is a better indicator of power. Also, post up the slips.

EDIT: Oh yeah and I ran 14.5 with ONLY an intake, stock tires, etc. Good times though.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:31 PM
Suzuka Master

That is promising but still not conclusive. FYI, those chnages in conditions can make a difference but we'll leave that alone.

What were the traps on the prior runs??
Old 01-13-2005, 05:32 PM
Team Owner

Also, 60's this time vs 60's last time.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:32 PM
Banned

93-95

Sure theyd make a diference, but that noticeable i dont believe so

We will wait for the dyno number
Old 01-13-2005, 05:33 PM
Banned

no prob like i said ill scan the slips tonight or tomororw. im just exhausted ive had a logn day of classes
Old 01-13-2005, 05:34 PM
Suzuka Master

We will wait for the dyno number
Looking forward to it.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:35 PM
Team Owner

60' times previous vs. last nite
Old 01-14-2005, 08:39 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mrsteve
60' times previous vs. last nite

???
Old 01-18-2005, 03:51 PM
Banned

sorry guys its been a while.

Well you guys got my track times. I pulled 218.4 (i might be a couple tenths off i gotta go check after class) on a MUSTANG AWD dyno Numbers weren't to shabby.

BTW the VAFC did shit in the way of hp increase. It did change the hp/torque curve which came out to a nice advantage, but other then that no hp or torque increases (which I knew was going to happen)

Now for all the non believers if you think an intake is gonna increase power by that much of a number lol, I dont know what to tell you.

JUST REMEMBER THIS IS A MUSTANG DYNO which is typically lower numbers then a dynojet. I was told approximately 8-10% lower then a dynojet.

Anyways Ill load up the sheet later tonight
Old 01-18-2005, 07:32 PM
Team Owner

Nice number, BUT... I can't believe that a Mustang dyno reads 10% lower than a Dynojet. That would mean you are making 240whp WITHOUT headers on a dynojet dyno.

Again, what are you 60' times from the previous runs and from this latest run?
Old 01-18-2005, 08:44 PM
Banned

I believe they are as follows

Port and Polish 60' 2.21
Stock times (I dont think i had the CAI in that run) i believe was a 2.29

Tomorrow is my day off ... im going to go and dig through all of my information and see what i can pull up picture wise to verify the numbers i just quoted you
Old 01-18-2005, 08:56 PM
Team Owner

The power looks good, but I really wish you had a before dyno.

Also, it is my understanding that a Mustang Dyno usually reads LOWER than a dynojet dyno, but no by 10%. I believe a dynojet measures power by calculating the time it takes to go from Speed A to Speed B. A Mustang dyno simulates the car under load to mimic real world driving conditions. Errr something like that. Dynojets are MUCH more popular though.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:15 PM
Senior Moderator

mustang dyno's are capable of doing enertia based pulls
Old 01-19-2005, 07:26 AM
Suzuka Master

That looks very promising.

I do wish you would have done an isolated dyno before and after to determine precise gains as now it is a guess.

As for the Mustang dyno reading lower, it depends on the gear run in. Lower gears will show greater differences than higher gears.

What would be nice is to have another J-Series car as a reference.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:19 PM
Team Owner

What gear did you have the car dyno'd in?
Old 01-19-2005, 05:52 PM
Banned

third
Old 01-19-2005, 09:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by scalbert
That looks very promising.

I do wish you would have done an isolated dyno before and after to determine precise gains as now it is a guess.

As for the Mustang dyno reading lower, it depends on the gear run in. Lower gears will show greater differences than higher gears.

What would be nice is to have another J-Series car as a reference.
my car was dyno'd on a mustang dyno...and as i said they are fully capable of doing non loaded pulls
Old 01-20-2005, 12:04 PM
Pro

So where is the dyno
Old 01-20-2005, 03:59 PM
Banned

coming i promise i will have them up !! lol being a fulltime college student and starting up a new company is killin me lol they will be up asap
Old 01-20-2005, 05:19 PM
Advanced

just got my car done. Car feels good! Revs up a loy better and the pick up has increased. Feels like it went on a diet and lost 30 pounds. Im happy with the results
Old 01-20-2005, 06:09 PM
Banned

lol so im glad you are happy .... do you believe what i told ya now /

Quick Reply: Just port and polished my Type S TB and Intake Mani