This just in on my friend that died this past weekend.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 02:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This just in on my friend that died this past weekend.

Ohio bicyclist killed in Kermit
A Jal, N.M. man was arrested and charged with intoxication manslaughter Saturday after an Ohio bicyclist was killed in a afternoon collision.
Jason Salazar, 23, was driving north in a 1988 Dodge four-door sedan on Texas Highway 18 about three miles north of Kermit. Salazar collided with 33-year-old James John Curry, a bicyclist from Lakewood, Ohio, according to officials at the Texas Department of Public Safety in Pecos.
Curry was also traveling north. According to the DPS fatality report, Curry hit the windshield of the sedan, and the car went in to a broadside skid and veered into southbound traffic. The car came to rest on the southbound shoulder.
Curry was pronounced dead at the scene by Winkler County Justice of the Peace Glenda Mixon. The incident was investigated by DPS trooper Jeffrey Rickle.
Salazar was arrested at the scene and was taken to the Winkler County Detention Center. Salazar is free on a $30,000 bond.

http://www.oaoa.com/news/nw051402g.htm
Old 05-14-2002, 02:56 PM
Banned

I got an email from his sister on Monday morning about Jay's death, but just now found out it was due to a drunk driver. I'm ouraged at the 30K bond. You've got to be kidding me. I'm in total disbelief.
Old 05-14-2002, 03:34 PM
trying to get a lil V-I

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn $30k bail for intoxication manslaughter...that's bull sh*t.

He should be jailed for life for that kinda crap.

Sorry to hear about your friend. I'm an avid cyclist my self. This is just ridiculous.
Old 05-14-2002, 03:35 PM
Burning Brakes

That's unbelievable and sick. I hope that guys gets what's coming to him.

What does the Texas Department of Public Saftey have to do with the incident? I'm kinda confused.
Old 05-14-2002, 03:46 PM
Banned

Originally posted by mcdanjw
What does the Texas Department of Public Saftey have to do with the incident?
I haven't the slightess idea. Anyone from Texas know their responsibilites?!

Anyhow....totally unbelievable that this man is out probably driving around. With his 'freedom' nonetheless.
Old 05-14-2002, 03:47 PM
Intermediate

As someone who lives in a college town where pedestrians and drivers are thrown together all the time I am outraged. Drunk driving should be punished at the highest level and letting someone out on as little as $30G is ridiculous. I lost a friend not too long ago to a similar incident and it pisses me off everytime I read about something like this. My condolences go out to you.
Old 05-14-2002, 03:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
30K??? They should add a few 0s to that figure. I lost a childhood friend to a drunk driver.
Old 05-14-2002, 04:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
Originally posted by chikai
damn $30k bail for intoxication manslaughter...that's bull sh*t.

He should be jailed for life for that kinda crap.

Sorry to hear about your friend. I'm an avid cyclist my self. This is just ridiculous.
How do you know that the driver was at fault? Just because the driver was drunk does not mean he was the cause of the accident. We need to know more details.
I was sobber and almost killed stupid teenager on the bycicle who all of a suden cross my way.
Sometimes when pedestrians jump under your car you have no control.
Basicly I would like to know: had the driver be sobber, would the same thing happen?

What, if I have few drinks and some pedestrian who decides to comit suicide by jumping under my car dies? Does it mean I have to be in jail for 20 years for this because I had few drinks little over the legal limit?
The law says so, and I disagree. Sometimes alcohol or no alcohol give the same chances. They got to look at the specific cases.....
Old 05-14-2002, 04:11 PM
Banned

Under Texas Penal Code, intoxication manslaughter is a second degree felony: fine of up to $10,000, penitentiary term of two to 20 years, license suspension of six months to two years.
Old 05-14-2002, 04:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by mffdvr
Under Texas Penal Code, intoxication manslaughter is a second degree felony: fine of up to $10,000, penitentiary term of two to 20 years, license suspension of six months to two years.
What if you are drunk and pedestrian commits suicide by jumping spontaneously in front of your car??? Is it still a manslaughter?
In this case I think you should only be charged with drunk driving.
Old 05-14-2002, 04:21 PM
Banned

Originally posted by russianDude

What if you are drunk and pedestrian commits suicide by jumping spontaneously in front of your car??? Is it still a manslaughter?
In this case I think you should only be charged with drunk driving.
Oh yea....I agree with you. I'm just stating the facts.

Driving while drunk is a complete crime in itself regardless of the manslaughter charges, but his drinking and driving will most likely be the cause of death regardless of what my friend Jay did on his bike.
Old 05-14-2002, 04:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Brynn, sorry to hear about this.

Russiandude: I agree, you'd have to investigate more to find out.

Was he biking along a highway?
Old 05-14-2002, 04:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Oh yea....I agree with you. I'm just stating the facts.

Driving while drunk is a complete crime in itself regardless of the manslaughter charges, but his drinking and driving will most likely be the cause of death regardless of what my friend Jay did on his bike.
Sorry for your loss. I guess they got to look at the specific cases in order to determine if manslaughter charge applies... If drunk driving was the cause of death, then its a manslaughter.
Old 05-14-2002, 04:27 PM
Banned

Originally posted by KCPreki11
Was he biking along a highway?
It sounds that way. The details are slowly trickling in. I'm up in Seattle, so I hear things through the grapevine.

But honestly....when a friend is taken away so abruptly, you obviously want to hold someone accountable.
Old 05-14-2002, 05:19 PM
Team Anthracite

Hey Brynn, I'm sorry to hear about this. My thoughts and prayers to Jay's family and freinds. I truly hope the legal system won't break down here. This guy deserves some serious time in the slammer to think about his actions.

I know many of us have driven when we shouldn't have; I hope tragedies like this help us to realize how stupid it really is to get behind the wheel after a few drinks.
Old 05-14-2002, 06:15 PM
Suzuka Master

sorry for your loss man. and for those of you think that the drunk driver is not 100% responsible, you guys are assholes. 1st of all, you shouldn't even have been drinking if you know you're going to drive. 2nd of all, if the person is just tipsy, not even completely drunk, you'll lose control over the car. thus the servving and speeding. speeding cuz you can't control the force you put on the gas pedal and servving is because you lose the sense of balance. 3rd, not to mention, the most important thing is that alcohol completely slow down your reaction time. So the drunk driver will not be fast enough to stop or avoid the person.

So to those of you think that have a couple of drink and drive is ok, please be more educated about drinking and driving.

And again, sorry for your loss.
Old 05-14-2002, 08:26 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by russianDude

How do you know that the driver was at fault? Just because the driver was drunk does not mean he was the cause of the accident. We need to know more details.
I was sobber and almost killed stupid teenager on the bycicle who all of a suden cross my way.
Sometimes when pedestrians jump under your car you have no control.
Basicly I would like to know: had the driver be sobber, would the same thing happen?

What, if I have few drinks and some pedestrian who decides to comit suicide by jumping under my car dies? Does it mean I have to be in jail for 20 years for this because I had few drinks little over the legal limit?
The law says so, and I disagree. Sometimes alcohol or no alcohol give the same chances. They got to look at the specific cases.....
I am also a big cyclist and hope to start competing as well; people don't respect bikes on the road at all. They have just as much right as a car does to be on any road other then the interstate. I have been run off the road many times b/c of the lack of respect bikes receive. Anyone driving drunk and caught should be automatically charged with attempted vehicular homicide, only someone that does not take responsibility for their actions would drive drunk and think that they should get off with it. It is reckless and dumb plain and simple. Do drive drunk is to threaten the lives of everyone on the road. If someone tries to commit suicide by having a car hit them then the driver is off no matter the circumstances in most states. I feel for you mffdrv.
Old 05-14-2002, 09:27 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMHO the driver should be shot :angry:
Old 05-14-2002, 09:48 PM
Race Director

I haven't the slightess idea. Anyone from Texas know their responsibilites?!

Anyhow....totally unbelievable that this man is out probably driving around. With his 'freedom' nonetheless.

Sorry to hear about your friend.

The state police officers in Texas are actually Troopers which are part of the DPS. Sorta like the ATF is part of the Treasury.
Old 05-14-2002, 09:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Chinisimo
sorry for your loss man. and for those of you think that the drunk driver is not 100% responsible, you guys are assholes. 1st of all, you shouldn't even have been drinking if you know you're going to drive. 2nd of all, if the person is just tipsy, not even completely drunk, you'll lose control over the car. thus the servving and speeding. speeding cuz you can't control the force you put on the gas pedal and servving is because you lose the sense of balance. 3rd, not to mention, the most important thing is that alcohol completely slow down your reaction time. So the drunk driver will not be fast enough to stop or avoid the person.

So to those of you think that have a couple of drink and drive is ok, please be more educated about drinking and driving.

And again, sorry for your loss.
Things are not so simple. Drunk driver should be charged with manslaughter only when his actions lead to the death