Jiffy Lube shows me the tranny fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 11:06 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jiffy Lube shows me the tranny fluid

I'm getting an oil change at about 18,000 miles at jiffy lube. while i'm waiting, the guys shows me the color of the tranny fuild (it is a dark red now) and tells me i should change it. i know about using only honda atf so i said i'll change it later.

is it supposed to be that dark? my acura dealer said not to change the oil at 15k and just change it at 30k. well, an extended warranty is now standard so not like i really care. but how does the early dark fluid correlate with the tranny problems?
Old 01-21-2003, 11:30 AM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
i think a quick run to the dealer for a check up is what is needed.
Old 01-21-2003, 11:49 AM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
A test you can try. Take a white paper towel. Pull your tranny dip stick out ........drop a "drop" of fluid on the paper. If it doesn't "spread out" and is NOT pink in color, time for a change. If it is black, you been too hard on your car ! That's my opinion.......
Old 01-21-2003, 12:05 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Fabvsix
If it is black, you been too hard on your car ! That's my opinion.......
Or your clutch packs are starting to go out.... And your tranny is about to die. With a normal transmission I would agree.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:13 PM
'Cooter

yeah i tested out mine at around 17K and it was more brown than red...after getting the flush, i found out the fluid was dirty, but not horrible...red is an ok color

IMO, they should flush every 15K as a mandatory service

if the tranny is burning the fluid, that explains the color difference, so it's like a decent indicator of where yer at in terms of how the tranny's holdin up

changing OIL at 15K??? of course u should...oil nowadays is strong enough to last about 7,500 miles, but if u do it between 3K and 3,500, no harm done...but yeah change the oil at 15K as well...maybe yer asking bout tranny fluid?? if u feel more comfy getting it done earlier, then request a flush next time u bring the car in...i had mine replaced at 18K and couldn't feel a difference...more peace of mind than anything i guess
Old 01-21-2003, 12:27 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Hmmm... I got just a hair shy of 7800 miles. Let's say I go out, check my fluid and it's black. I've had ZERO tranny problems, yet... So, would this be cause for me to go to the dealer and get a flush already, or would this be a sign for the dealer to swap out the tranny?

Just curious...
Old 01-21-2003, 12:35 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Scrib
Hmmm... I got just a hair shy of 7800 miles. Let's say I go out, check my fluid and it's black. I've had ZERO tranny problems, yet... So, would this be cause for me to go to the dealer and get a flush already, or would this be a sign for the dealer to swap out the tranny?

Just curious...
If it's black, go to the dealer and ask them to look at it..
Old 01-21-2003, 12:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what color is the handle on the tranny fluid dip stick? And where is it, left side, right side, top or bottom area? Thanx-
Old 01-21-2003, 01:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Smell it

Not only do the above paper towel test.. But smell your fluid on the dipstick or paper towel

Does it smell burnt? If so, you got an issue to address. Go get it changed.

Smitty

p.s. Not be a smart ass by any means, but if you think their is a problem with it, do not hesitate.. Go get it checked by a tech or go get it changed.. If you care about your whip like I do, I would not be able to sleep at night...lol.. Well that is a tad bit excessive.. but you catch my drift..
Old 01-21-2003, 03:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by danny25
what color is the handle on the tranny fluid dip stick? And where is it, left side, right side, top or bottom area? Thanx-
For auto tranny, its the yellow handle on the right side,
sorta below the intake piping/molding area. Reference the manual for details.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:33 PM
Banned

I had a lot of metal shavings on the magnetic drainplug.....
Old 01-21-2003, 03:47 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Mine looks good and doesn't smell burnt...

Yet!!!
Old 01-21-2003, 06:32 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Caution:
Flusing vs. changing tranny oil are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS ! My dealership is NOT for FLUSHING often.......lets say its like putting a tremendous "pressure hose" on a clean engine......not a good thing........or its like putting a old diamond ring in a jewerly cleaning machine, which can shake the diamonds loose and you can loose them or cause an expensive repair !

I'd question your dealership about "FLUSHING vs. CHANGING" transmission oil.......

FYI: I've got almost 57,000 miles and NEVER had the transmission oil FLUSHED........Only changed every 20,000 miles or so.......
Old 01-22-2003, 07:10 AM
Pro

My dealer recommended a "flush" and did it under warranty. Years ago I was told that it was even bad to change the fluid as the clean fluid may cause some internal grime to loosen and gum up the works. After the fluid flush my fluid still looks pristine after 6000 mile; before the flush at 15000 miles it was brownish.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
Flush is expensive, could cost you like $130....vs. $40 for fluid change.

I'd get flush like once in a life time
Old 01-22-2003, 08:06 AM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it's nothing special ... 2-3K miles and the tranny fluid turned dark is normal for the CL-S, at least for mine. I flushed mine (no high pressure involved, just removed old fluid at one end and putting new fluid at the other end) and put in the fluid cooler. Guess what? 10K later, the fluid still looks as good as new. I think the cooler really helps.
Old 01-22-2003, 01:56 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Scrib

Just curious...
Smell the dipstick. If it smells burnt then you've got slippage in the tranny and she's going to die......
Old 01-22-2003, 05:22 PM
Instructor

fabvsix,

I think your info is a little outdated. Most modern tranny flush machines today use the pressure from the transmission itself to change the fluid. That way the system is not exposed to any pressure it is not accustomed to taking.

I work in an Auto shop. This is why a tranny flush on a Toyota takes forever (low pressure trannys). I would highly recommend a flush over a drain and fill because the d&f will not get the fluid out of the Torque converter if applicable on that vehicle. Plus the flush helps clear any debris that wouldn't normally drain out because of the chemical conditioners used.

Also in my shop a flush runs 79.99 a d&f is 49.99 so you are definetly getting what you pay for.

Sorry for the long post
Old 01-22-2003, 06:24 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

azzKiker23:
Hey, I don't dispute what your saying one bit, however, this car is ACURA's (warranty). They are the ONLY one who service my car. If they say they use an Elephant to clean out the tranny, SO BE IT ! If ANYTHING goes wrong.........this is what I do:
Drive the car to my Acura dealership, schedule, give them the keys and say F I X IT ! CALL ME WHEN ITS READY ! Now, if I go to "joe's" shop and they FLUSH AND FUCK UP ANYTHING......I'M SCREWED.....................
That's the way it is these days !
Old 01-22-2003, 07:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Depends on what, where and who...

Originally posted by azzkiker23
fabvsix,

I think your info is a little outdated. Most modern tranny flush machines today use the pressure from the transmission itself to change the fluid. That way the system is not exposed to any pressure it is not accustomed to taking.

I work in an Auto shop. This is why a tranny flush on a Toyota takes forever (low pressure trannys). I would highly recommend a flush over a drain and fill because the d&f will not get the fluid out of the Torque converter if applicable on that vehicle. Plus the flush helps clear any debris that wouldn't normally drain out because of the chemical conditioners used.

Also in my shop a flush runs 79.99 a d&f is 49.99 so you are definetly getting what you pay for.

Sorry for the long post
If it is the "right" procedure for the right car, it's great. My previous dealer (Nissan) has the equipment and has the ok from the factory to use it. The results were excellent and the fluid was super clean.

An independent tranny shop with an I-don't-know-how-to-say-I-don't-know representative could offer-up a flushing method that was untested. (There are still a few different methods for flushing "around".)

When I called Comptech, they have someone local that seems to flush out the Honda ATF (so they can toss in the Redline ATF) and they seem to think that there are some shops that can manage the job without trashing the transmission.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:29 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

EricL:
I agree ! I'm sure there are many qualified shops who could do this, HOWEVER, If I ever have to face Acura who Questions me in regard to "who serviced your tranny last" and with all the transmission issues on the table, I don't think that would be too smart. ALL it would take is for Acura to find one thing to BLAME me...........I just can't risk it at this point. Basically, why jeopardize my current extended warranty ?
Old 01-22-2003, 07:46 PM
Suzuka Master

They're tracking you as we speak! :-()

Originally posted by Fabvsix
EricL:
I agree ! I'm sure there are many qualified shops who could do this, HOWEVER, If I ever have to face Acura who Questions me in regard to "who serviced your tranny last" and with all the transmission issues on the table, I don't think that would be too smart. ALL it would take is for Acura to find one thing to BLAME me...........I just can't risk it at this point. Basically, why jeopardize my current extended warranty ?
I'm not saying any different...

If you toss the dice, and find someone who knows what they are doing (they have done a bunch of other Acura CLs, etc without any "problems") you would probably be "safe."

If they were “qualified” and competent, it would be next to impossible, IMO, to tell that the work had been done outside their shop.

However, do let me know if you discover UV markers/seals on all of your fluid ports, bolts, nuts, etc (think consumer investigations of crooked mechanics, etc)... :P
Old 04-04-2006, 02:18 AM
3rd Gear

Tranny Flush's

I've been working in the quick lube industry for over 4 years now, and am an avid off road enthusiast along with fast cars on road. As far as the tranny flush topic, ive seen different ideas and tactics being used. Most commonly there is the drain and fill or the flush. A drain and fill if done properly i estimate will get about 65% of the old fluid out. By properly doing this you will have you drain, fill, run through the gears, and drain again, repeating at least 3 times. this is the more affordable way of getting your tranny fluid in better condition. as far as the full flush goes, you tap into tranny cooler lines and hook up the machine, the machine works off of the tranny pump, putting in the same amount that the pump is putting out. we like to get tranny's before they get to nasty, dark, and stinky. this prevents the tranny from problems with heat and breakdown, a full 14 qt flush will generally come out as clean as new fluid, in worse tranny's where fluid is worse than you would hope for, it may take a second flush, which would inturn run a full 28 qts through, (2 flushes) catching it early can save time, and what is especially important money and wear and tear...if the fluid is not in great condition, and you catch it early, a flush will do the trick, and keep the interval between the next time you have to flush it longer, catch it early and it will pay off.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:27 AM
3rd Gear

Oh, and as far as changing filters, if you keep on top of your fluid, and not let it get too nasty, a filter change is only needed about every 100,000mi, alot of the newer vehicles these days, like toyotas and hondas have no filter! there is merely a screen in the pan...
Old 04-04-2006, 02:36 AM
3rd Gear

94 grand cherokee 3 inch lift
32/11.50/15's 5.2litre superchip flowmaster & k&n
99acura tl