Jerky 6 speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 09:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JRock- the more you use the clutch, the more you wear it. The worst thing you can do to it is linger at the friction point where its transmitting some power, but still slipping. A long slow clutch release will give a nice smooth startup, but it does wear the clutch's friction material out. So you want to let it out as quickly as possible, but without jerking or roasting your tires or killing the engine.
Old 07-14-2003, 12:37 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally posted by Zapata
here we go everybody is an expert.....shit tom2 should be commentating on car shows etc., awesome commentary on a car you don't even own or have ever driven.
Hey dickhead-- I've driven two different manual tranny CL-S. I've even posted that here. As a matter of fact, I believe I PM'd you about it.....

But who gives a fuck? You don't need to own a MT CL or even drive one to understand a concept of low rpm bucking.... it's fairly common in MT cars, period. I know EXACTLY why it happens, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the weight of the flywheel

What I find funny is that you're a noob manual trans driver and you think you know everything about them....

BTW, I'm still waiting for you to post the "diagrams" that you promised to prove me wrong about the whole double-clutching debate.

I guess you finally realized you were owned, huh

If I were you, I'd STFU to avoid looking like a bigger dick than you already do...
Old 07-14-2003, 12:44 PM
Unregistered Member

Originally posted by mt6forlife
....the more you use the clutch, the more you wear it.
Can you please beat that into Zapata's thick skull? He continues to punish his clutch (and related components) to help his synchros

Ignorance is bliss
Old 07-14-2003, 12:50 PM
Unregistered Member

Originally posted by mt6forlife
Yeah there is a 1st gear syncho, but its not like the other gears. You can't just slam it in 1st at 15 mph even though its well under redline then.
Actually, it is just like the other synchros. And you can slam it down into 1st gear at 15 MPH if you try hard enough.... The problem is that there's far more resistance, due to the shaft speeds (gear ratios)

On my M3, there was an INCREDIBLE strong synchro for 1st gear, that would allow you to easily select 1st gear at nearly any RPM. But this was a BAD thing-- lots of M3 owners mistakenly downshifted 1st gear (when they were trying for 3rd), let out the clutch and overrevved their engines. This was a mechanical overrev, so the rev limited did NOTHING to stop it.

BTW, the synchros in most German cars are totally and completely different that the synchros is other cars, including Japanese, American etc... Most German cars have superior designed synchros. If you've ever seen the differnt designs, you'd know what I mean. The CL has a cone-type syncho (also known as a Bendix), which is very common, but not nearly as strong as most of the synchros in German cars.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:27 PM
Team Owner

The manual driving incompetence of the members of this board continues to ASTOUND me daily.
I must admit that these threads are certainly good for a LAUGH on a daily basis.

I’m surprised we haven't had any threads that are titled:
“Why do I keep backing into the guy behind me on hills?”

My best advice is to go for a ride with someone who has been driving stick for 10+ years.
You will learn more in 30-minutes then you will in MONTHS on the internet.

Shawn S
Old 07-14-2003, 03:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Shawn S

I must admit that these threads are certainly good for a LAUGH on a daily basis.

I don't even bother anymore... I am just a fly on the wall.. ya know?...

Smitty

Enjoy

Old 07-14-2003, 03:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
amazing... someone does not know how to drive a stick and so much energy is spent. If your car is bucking you're not driving correctly. With practice, you should get better. Try to be smooth.
Old 07-14-2003, 04:14 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took the 6speed out again today and it really does require a totally different style of stick driving from a stop through second gear driving around a parking lot slowly. You really gotta ride the clutch a lot or it will jerk annoyingly.

Taking it out on the road it was fine. It's just when you're driving slowly through a parking lot that there's the jerking and crappiness.

Btw, I'm surprised how different the clutch engagement is compared to the clutch in the TSX and RSX-S.

I'm good enough driving the RSX-S that it is starting to become second nature to shift it and my foot is learning the proper clutch point to catch it and go pretty quick now.

If I spend the same amount of time in the CLS speed I'm sure I could get that one mastered too, but the issue with it jerking a bit while driving slowly in 1st or 2nd gear is another thing entirely.

Probably just a "feature" of the CLS's finicky drive-by-wire throttle.
Old 07-14-2003, 06:26 PM
Unregistered Member

The manual driving incompetence of the members of this board continues to ASTOUND me daily.

I’m surprised we haven't had any threads that are titled:
“Why do I keep backing into the guy behind me on hills?”

My best advice is to go for a ride with someone who has been driving stick for 10+ years.
You will learn more in 30-minutes then you will in MONTHS on the internet.

Shawn S
Gotta agree with you 100%

I think part of the problem is that a lot of CL owners are totally new to manual transmissions. I guess having just one model year of MT availability might do that

Your last two sentences should be REQUIRED of some of these guys driving MTs for less than a year......
Old 07-14-2003, 06:47 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Hmm wow like you said your a friggin genius! Driven the CLS 2x and you know the characteristics of the car. Car manufacturers should enlist your services to troubleshoot cars!!

Never said i knew everything about them. In fact, it is only you and a few other members who constantly bitch and moan about how "learned" you are and how stupid everybody else is. What kind of information can you call provide aside from pulling out the "I've been driving stick for years". It's complete and utter BS. Have an opinion but it act like you are an authority is laughable.

BTW,
no need to posts diagrams etc., there is no doubt....it is an undeniable fact....that synchros experience STRESS when you don't double clutch on downshifts. You admitted it yourself. Why bother? Life goes on.....

Originally posted by Tom2
Hey dickhead-- I've driven two different manual tranny CL-S. I've even posted that here. As a matter of fact, I believe I PM'd you about it.....

But who gives a fuck? You don't need to own a MT CL or even drive one to understand a concept of low rpm bucking.... it's fairly common in MT cars, period. I know EXACTLY why it happens, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the weight of the flywheel

What I find funny is that you're a noob manual trans driver and you think you know everything about them....

BTW, I'm still waiting for you to post the "diagrams" that you promised to prove me wrong about the whole double-clutching debate.

I guess you finally realized you were owned, huh

If I were you, I'd STFU to avoid looking like a bigger dick than you already do...
Old 07-14-2003, 06:57 PM
Unregistered Member

Originally posted by Zapata
Hmm wow like you said your a friggin genius! Driven the CLS 2x and you know the characteristics of the car. Car manufacturers should enlist your services to troubleshoot cars!!

Nice try, dicky..... but like I already said-- you don't have to own a MT CL-S or even drive one to understand the simple concept of low rpm bucking. It's a characteristic of MANY MT cars, not just your precious little CL

Never said i knew everything about them. In fact, it is only you and a few other members who constantly bitch and moan about how "learned" you are and how stupid everybody else is. What kind of information can you call provide aside from pulling out the "I've been driving stick for years". It's complete and utter BS. Have an opinion but it act like you are an authority is laughable.

You argue like you're a freaking expert, that's for sure. You're a very stubborn individual, Zapata. Once you have any idea/theory/thought in your head, then it must be FACT. You fail to think that others may give you a different perspective or insight. That's YOUR loss, not mine.

Compared to you, I am definitely an authority on this subject. That's undeniable.

BTW,
no need to posts diagrams etc., there is no doubt....it is an undeniable fact....that synchros experience STRESS when you don't double clutch on downshifts. You admitted it yourself. Why bother? Life goes on.....

Ah, once again you choose to dance around the issue. Nobody was arguing about double-clutching NOT helping out the synchros (for the millionth time already!!). As I've said again and again-- you're shortening the life of "other' clutch components to save your synchros. Supposedly, you were gonna post diagrams to prove me wrong..... and I'm still waiting
Old 07-14-2003, 07:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by JRock
Probably just a "feature" of the CLS's finicky drive-by-wire throttle.

Last time I was under the hood there was a throttle cable; no actuator there. Drive-by-wire typically insinuates an electronically controlled operation; at least to me.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:16 PM
Old timer

Btw, 5th gear is a bit annoying to find on it sometimes. I tend to push it too far right which ends up in the path that goes back down towards Reverse.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:31 AM
Team Owner

Btw, 5th gear is a bit annoying to find on it sometimes. I tend to push it too far right which ends up in the path that goes back down towards Reverse.
WTF are you talking about ???
Reverse has a MECHANICAL lockout that prevents the shifter from going over that far once the car is moving more then like 5MPH.

Over & UP is 5th. Over & DOWN is 6th. It couldn’t be any easier.

Are you SURE you were driving a CL-S ???

Shawn S
Old 07-15-2003, 08:53 AM
Old timer

Smartass Shawn, I was talking about feeling out the shifter while the car is stopped. 5th you can't find unless you're rolling. The shifter is in almost the same exact position when in 3rd and 5th at a stop and it's almost impossible to tell which you're in. Yes of course there's a lockout when you're rolling and that helps find it.
I'm just comparing it to the other Acura sticks I've been in, in which it's not a mystery as to when you're in 5th when you're moving the shifter around while stopped.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:40 AM
Race Director

some of u guys sound like pricks...gotta chill

answer the guys question...dont hate for no reason..

shawn, not everyone here has over 10 years of experience...most people here were taking the school bus 10 years ago...should be a little more considerate..instead of mocking/laughing at their lack of experience.

same with "self made man"....he needs to relax himself too.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:49 AM
Team Owner

Amir,
I’m not mocking the inexperienced.
I just think the inexperienced shouldn’t be giving out bad advice and blaming their problems on the car.

As for the shifter JRock,
If you remember the review I gave the 6-Speed the day I picked mine up I said the exact same thing.
The gate is CLOSER then any other car I have driven and it takes practice to shift quickly & effectively.
You can’t give opinions on a car based on a few laps around a parking lot.
You need to drive it for a few days to understand why they built it that way.

Shawn S
Old 07-15-2003, 11:24 AM
Unregistered Member

I just think the inexperienced shouldn’t be giving out bad advice and blaming their problems on the car.

Old 07-15-2003, 12:35 PM
Pro

this CL-S MT . Ok I'm done.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Chill, everyone.

Ever manual transmission has its own particular quirks and nuances. You have to learn the friction point, gate, etc. on each one. You cannot expect every manual transmission to drive the same way.

While your manual transmission driving skills will transfer from car to car, your knowledge will not. Only a complete fool would expect the CL-6MT to behave like a RSX-6MT.

Oh, and for those who were riding the school bus 10 years ago, try listening to your "elders" more. Every once in a while, we actually know what we're talking about.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:09 PM
Old timer

You need to drive it for a few days to understand why they built it that way.

Shawn S
OH, I completely agree, however I can only give opinions on my experience with the vehicle, and that is why I said, "Well I've only taken it around a parking lot and I think it's jerky too." Then the next day when I'd driven it a little more I updated my opinion. Etc.

Originally posted by Stock03CLS:
Oh, and for those who were riding the school bus 10 years ago, try listening to your "elders" more. Every once in a while, we actually know what we're talking about.
This is a thread discussing opinions on the 6speed.

Don't talk down to other people. We had elders when we were children. Just because some of us haven't had much stick experience yet doesn't make us immature. And just because someone else has had more time in a 6speed doesn't mean their opinion of it is going to change how others feel about it. It's a personal opinion. Each person is going to have a different reaction to the experience.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I tried this out on my car yesterday. In 2nd below 1500 rpm any little tap of the gets me a jerk. In 1st below 1500rpm same thing. If I'm in traffic, I use 1st, & 2nd, & N. I leave it in N shift to first, or 2nd, If I'm coming to a stop, I put it in N, then I have the option of 1st, or 2nd when traffic moves.
Old 07-15-2003, 07:00 PM
Suzuka Master

This is a thread discussing opinions on the 6speed.

Don't talk down to other people. We had elders when we were children. Just because some of us haven't had much stick experience yet doesn't make us immature. And just because someone else has had more time in a 6speed doesn't mean their opinion of it is going to change how others feel about it. It's a personal opinion. Each person is going to have a different reaction to the experience.
I wasn't talking about you specifically. I was speaking to others who think they know everything about driving stick and argue with people who have much greater experience in that area, that's all. It's called "humility in the face of greater experience".

And as I recall, it's a thread on jerkiness of the 6-speed, which seems more related to driver experience than anything. Just my observation. YMMV.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:12 PM
Suzuka Master

I notice this in my 5speed auto

If i let off the throttle in 2nd or 3rd at higher RPMs (and maybe low? i don't remember exactly) i get this jerkiness. But i doubt it's the same cause.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:34 AM
CL 6 speeder

Originally posted by stejus
Slimey

I couldn't have said it better! Ditto
I agree with Slimey's comments as well. If you are going to plunk down $30K for a new manual car and you are not very manual experienced, you need to find a friend who is. Will save a lot of time.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:31 AM
Advanced

I agree that the CL-S 6MT is a little harder to master than your average manual car. The combination of a powerful engine and a clutch that grabs a little too fast requires decent skills to keep it all smooth and pleasant. But if you have the experience, there is no excuse for jerking at any time. After 25 years of driving manuals (mostly Hondas and Acuras), I expect to drive my CL-S 6MT smoother than an automatic. (So does my wife, who often does her makeup in the car).
Old 07-18-2003, 11:50 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by stickman
I expect to drive my CL-S 6MT smoother than an automatic. (So does my wife, who often does her makeup in the car).
While YOU are driving, not her I hope.

Shawn S
Old 07-18-2003, 12:33 PM
CL 6 speeder

Originally posted by Scrib
Why would you ever go from 2nd to 1st?

At slow speeds the clutch should be in to avoid the "jerkiness". And the only time you should be in first is if you need to get the car rolling or you're moving at SUPER slow speeds; less than 3mph.

1st is taboo when rolling, IMHO.
Thats nuts. Downshifting into first is why Honda put synchronizers on first gear. If you are going 5 mph or less its not a problem at all (for the CLS 6 speed anyway).

I have had no problems with "jerkyness" on my CLS-6 at all. Very smooth in all respects.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:39 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by joeandcarol2
Thats nuts. Downshifting into first is why Honda put synchronizers on first gear. If you are going 5 mph or less its not a problem at all (for the CLS 6 speed anyway).
I can’t really see a need to downshift into first while moving. I never do.
If required, you can start out from nearly a standstill in 2nd or even 3rd if need be.

Shawn S
Old 07-18-2003, 12:43 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
I can’t really see a need to downshift into first while moving. I never do.
If required, you can start out from nearly a standstill in 2nd or even 3rd if need be.

Shawn S
Old 07-18-2003, 12:50 PM
CL 6 speeder

I do not down shift into first for engine breaking, I do it because i have slowed down (in 3rd, 4th 5th) to almost a standstill and am now ready to accelerate. Its true 2nd is sufficient and I sometimes to that. But at very slow speads (5 mph or under) its easy to go into first. Smooth no problems

It is also easy to trundle along smoothly in a traffic jam or a parking lot in first with no jerkey ness at all and the clutch all the way out. Learn to feather the throttle not tap it... This is a manual. At low RPMs you can't "tap" it. But you can easily start smoothly (clutch out). Learn your machine!!!!!
Old 07-18-2003, 12:53 PM
Administrator Alumnus

I do not down shift into first for engine breaking, I do it because i have slowed down (in 3rd, 4th 5th) to almost a standstill and am now ready to accelerate. Its true 2nd is sufficient and I sometimes to that. But at very slow speads (5 mph or under) its easy to go into first. Smooth no problems
If I recall... I'm too lazy to go back and read, but my comment you quoted above was based on someone who said they use first to engine brake... Or something to that effect.

I dunno.. I'm rambling.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:58 PM
Team Owner

Learn your machine!!!!!
EXACTLY !!!!

Right or wrong we all must admit that driving, learning & mastering a clutch is so much more enjoyable then putting a car in “D” every day.

Shawn S
Old 07-18-2003, 01:06 PM
CL 6 speeder

I'll make one last comment in the enjoyable thread (it is always entertaining). Some to the new manual drivers will eventually "get it" and some won't. And who knows, maybe a few 6 speeds do have some sort of fuel managment problems. The point is though that should should not buy a stick because your peers convince you its the cool thing to do or because you will shave a few tenths off your quarter mile time. There is nothing wrong with driving an automatic car. You should buy and drive the best type of car for YOU. Dont make a $30K mistake.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:11 PM
Administrator Alumnus

I'll make one last comment in the enjoyable thread (it is always entertaining). Some to the new manual drivers will eventually "get it" and some won't. And who knows, maybe a few 6 speeds do have some sort of fuel managment problems. The point is though that should should not buy a stick because your peers convince you its the cool thing to do or because you will shave a few tenths off your quarter mile time. There is nothing wrong with driving an automatic car. You should buy and drive the best type of car for YOU. Dont make a $30K mistake.
Hell... Anyone with half a brain can learn to drive stick.

Joe/Carol - You seem to got things down.

j/k