Jack stands

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2001 | 01:31 PM
Race Director

Jack stands

This might be a stupid question but can four 2-ton jack stands support the CL-S with all four tires removed at the same time?

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *
Old 06-23-2001 | 01:35 PM
on bin laden

I would say yes, I made the mistake of jacking my car up yesterday (was looking where to bolt on the front lower tie bar) and it was hot here yesterday (close to 90 -- hey that's hot for us) and my stands sunk into the tar on my driveway ...

------------------
Black 2001 Type S
*Eibach Pro-Kit (Waiting to be installed)
*Neuspeed Front Lower Tie Bar (Waiting to be installed)
*Neuspeed Front Upper Tie Bar (On it's way)
*Xephyr Cold Air Intake
*PIAA 19224, 19169
*Rockford 500a2 [FOR SALE]
*Pioneer 12" @ 400w (x2) [FOR SALE]
*77237-SOK-A02
---Proud member of the scratched rim club---
Old 06-23-2001 | 03:23 PM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kensteele:
This might be a stupid question but can four 2-ton jack stands support the CL-S with all four tires removed at the same time?

</font>
Ken,
I don't think you'll have a problem with that, the only problem I see is getting a jack that will actually be capbable of lifting the rear end of the car high enough to where you can put the floor jacks in at the right locations on the rear of the car. From the looks of it you'll need a serious heavy duty jack to do that.

This is assuming I am jacking the car up in the right spot on the rear of the car (I am using the rear tow hook to place the jack).

-Johnny

------------------
01'
Black/Ebony CLS
Old 06-23-2001 | 04:16 PM
do it yourself, !

It'd be a lot easier if you had access to a lift. What are you planning to do with the car on stands?

-j

------------------
2001 Acura CL Type-S
Black - Ebony Interior - Spoiler - 20% Tint - Cleared Headlights - Solaris 9005 Highbeams - Complete bulb replacement with Polargs
18 x 8.5 SSR GPO DeColte Evolutions on Nitto 555's - Comptech Headers

2000 Mercedes Benz E320
Black - Black Interior - Nav - (Chrome AMG Rims-Sold)
Old 06-23-2001 | 04:34 PM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by langjae:
It'd be a lot easier if you had access to a lift. What are you planning to do with the car on stands?

-j

</font>
I am probably more interested in two sides or two fronts at a time, more so than all four. Over time, I know there will be instances when I will want to get underneath my car so if I get jack stands today, I want to make sure they'll do the job adequately. For example:

1.When rotating tires, I would rather do the front and rear at the same time instead of using the spare.
2.I am going to paint my calipers and the fastest way is to remove all four.
3.I will never under any circumstances crawl underneath a car without jack stands in place. Period.
4.In the future, there will be inspections, mods, etc. that may require me to use them or even loan them to my friends. At $15 for 2, why not?

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *
Old 06-25-2001 | 02:04 PM
Pro

i've used 2 ton jacks to lift the front of the car. the only problem was fitting the jack underneath and jacking it to max height. it was still too short for the jackstands to accomodate. (i have the CT drop) i suggest using a hydro jack and jacking the front of the car where the tow ring is if ur car in lowered. if not, u shouldnt have any problems...
Old 07-01-2001 | 02:00 PM
Race Director

So the intructions that came with the jack says never use these jackstands in 4's. Are they saying this for safety reasons (I won't be getting underneath the car in 4's) or are they saying this for support reasons (won't support car w/o at least 2 tires on)?

I'll probably be ok for the couple of hours I'll be painting calipers, just don't want to have a mishap when I'm jacking up the back (while the front is actually on jackstands) and it slips.
Old 07-01-2001 | 02:21 PM
on bin laden

The say that so they don't promote wheel theft dont wheel thieves use cinder blocks anyways ???

Originally posted by kensteele:
<STRONG>So the intructions that came with the jack says never use these jackstands in 4's. Are they saying this for safety reasons (I won't be getting underneath the car in 4's) or are they saying this for support reasons (won't support car w/o at least 2 tires on)?

I'll probably be ok for the couple of hours I'll be painting calipers, just don't want to have a mishap when I'm jacking up the back (while the front is actually on jackstands) and it slips. </STRONG>