Issue playing CD-R's burned at 44X in stock stereo

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 05:27 PM
Masshole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Issue playing CD-R's burned at 44X in stock stereo

Has anyone else ecountered this problem? I tried burning an audio mix cd to a CD-R at 44X (CD-R was a 48X max disc). Went out to my car and tried to fire it up in the stock stereo but it just skipped and skipped and wouldn't play right.

So I grabbed another CD-R and reburned it, this time at 16X. And that worked! Does anyone happen to know why this is or what the maximum speed you can write a CD-R to have it work with our stock stereo systems?
Old 11-20-2002, 05:51 PM
13 Second CLS Defender :)

Focker me too!! LOL I thought i just kicked the cpu during the burning! Thats funny shit ... I just had a fit of turrets syndrome 20 mins ago playing a cd i burned on a new burner at 44x last night.....
Old 11-20-2002, 06:59 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not just the burn speed but also the media speed.. the most success I've had is buring with 16X with 16X media.. anything more than that will usually have a delay..

brands of media can sometimes make a diff, but not as much as the media speed itself..
Old 11-20-2002, 07:02 PM
Pro

Luckily my 48X CDs work fine. But I only tried "48X" approved TDK CDs.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:10 PM
One Bad Mutha

Location: From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
I have tried the 48x TDK approved, they seem to be the best media out there. But you don't want to record at 48x if your going to keep the cd for the long haul, dosent seem to burn real well, has problems playing in most players (older ones especially), sometimes regardless of which brand of media you use.

Go 16x, its a perfect speed, seems to work in just about anything, but at least give the TDKs a try they are pretty good.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not one problem yet... 48x (15+ cds)

Sure your ont using a pirated copy of cdrwin?

it will do that if the reg # gets submitted/found out.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:37 PM
Masshole

I've been burning with Nero Burning Rom that came with my Yamaha burner. The media I've been using is 48X Imation.

I might try out the TDK CDR's when I run out of my batch of Imations.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:37 PM
One Bad Mutha

Location: From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
Hey Siggy, I don't want to turn this into a computer help desk, but I have a 48x, and now that I got XP, I cant burn any faster than 8X, how do you do it man, Im running 1.6 P4, 512k DDR, using roxio platinum, and even downloaded thier XP update, nothing, what a waste of a CDR.
PM me if you gotz tips.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:53 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
its not the speed its the media. use Memorex Audio blanks...

never a problem with them at 48x in several cd players.
Old 11-20-2002, 08:22 PM
Masshole

If it's the media and not the speed, then why is it that only my Acura stereo had a problem with the disc burned at 44X? I tried it in: my Creative DVD-ROM, my g/f's laptop, my Panasonic DVD player, and my AIWA shelf top stereo.. It worked in each of those just fine, but not the Acura stereo.

Sounds to me like our cars have extremely picky cd players.
Old 11-20-2002, 09:08 PM
Masshole

Here's a curiousity. According to my manual, my burner uses CAV for 44X burning on CD-R's, but CLV for 16X burning. Anyone knowledgeable about the difference between CAV and CLV and if that might make a difference with the Acura CD player being able to read it or not?

Maybe Acura CD players don't like media burned using CAV? Or maybe they don't like Imation CDR's burned using CAV.

Check your drive's manual or specs to see. Maybe some of your drives burn using CLV instead at higher speeds and that's why they work....

Or maybe I'll just burn at 16X from now on if I want to listen to it in my car. One other thing I want to try tomorrow is if the CD player in my g/f's Matrix can read my 44X burned disc.

Sleepy time now.
Old 11-20-2002, 11:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

I always use Memorex & TDK's for games/audio. Never had a problem in my CL,TL, or my QX4. I've had problems with Imation. It actually froze Easy CD creator & finally my computer. Never even got a chance to finish recording. I also record at 8x.
Old 11-20-2002, 11:33 PM
Who Needs a Type-S?

I use PNY colored CD-R's at 8x recording (cuz thats the max of my burner) and i crank out the best quality out of any of my friends who make their own mixes.
Old 11-21-2002, 01:57 AM
Registered Member

It's the media...it has nothing to do on how the CD was burned. CAV or CLV. Just make sure you use GOOD QUALITY MEDIA!!! Don't buy cheap generic made in taiwan 48X CD-R....they might work on most CD/DVD players..but on some players...they won't work correctly. Try burning it at 40X or 36X, your just saving about 10-20 sec...not worth wasting .10 cents.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:23 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
i tried to burn with 24x.. and it skips in my car.. then 16X is perfectly fine but for Mp3s. i usually burn it at 8X.... cuz i keep my CD for years
Old 11-21-2002, 05:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by EdgarFanCLS
Here's a curiousity. According to my manual, my burner uses CAV for 44X burning on CD-R's, but CLV for 16X burning. Anyone knowledgeable about the difference between CAV and CLV and if that might make a difference with the Acura CD player being able to read it or not?

Maybe Acura CD players don't like media burned using CAV? Or maybe they don't like Imation CDR's burned using CAV.

Check your drive's manual or specs to see. Maybe some of your drives burn using CLV instead at higher speeds and that's why they work....

Or maybe I'll just burn at 16X from now on if I want to listen to it in my car. One other thing I want to try tomorrow is if the CD player in my g/f's Matrix can read my 44X burned disc.

Sleepy time now.

CAV == constant angular velocity (the RPMs stay constant)

CLV == constant linear velocity (speed of motor changes with position over CD from inside to outside)

AS to the difference in the Car -- I don't know. I'm still using a 16x CD and waiting for a cheaper DVD W/RW + CD W/RW/R combo unit to replace my DVD and CD-RW units.

I do use TDK media and other higher end media (at lower speeds) and seem to be ok.

For what it's worth -- here is a nice unit (highly rated):

This is a Yamaha CRW-F1ZE (CRW-F1 fast and top rated)...

Media recommendations:

What brands of blank CD-R media does Yamaha recommend?

Yamaha has extensively tested the following brands of media, and found their performance in our drives to be excellent (44x):

Yamaha

TDK

Verbatim

Mitsui-Gold

Sony

I've had great luck with TDK, Verbatim, and Sony.

There's also some "funny" copy protection schemes floating around. Check Tom's hardware page and other pages for more info. Try dropping the write speed on your media and you should find the answer you're looking for.

OH -- part of a review on CNET.com for the CRW-F1:

http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0...-20192504.html

"I'll never need another CDR.
Upon reading the specs, I was skeptical, but figured I'd give it a try. I can honestly say this is everything I've ever wanted in a CDR. I'm using TDK media (as recommended on their website), and I burn at 44X flawlessly
"

YMMV

Good luck
Old 11-21-2002, 08:12 AM
Suzuka Master

CLV vs. CAV....what he said.

If I remember correctly, the preferred format for CDs is CLV. CAV is used in the older style laser discs (you remember, big honkin' CD on steroids, had to flip them over to watch the whole movie...I'm showing my age, aren't I?), magneto-optical (MO) computer storage, etc. Many times, you see a pronounced spiral pattern on such discs, but not always.

Anyway, CAV could be your problem. Even if the drive compensates during burning and produces a net effect that's supposed to be CLV-compatible, there could be issues.

CD/DVD-ROM drives for PCs are designed to be more versatile than those which are intended just for audio. If it were me, I'd stay away from CAV if you want to play your CDs in standard audio-only CD players.

Media speed does make a difference. Your media should be at least as fast as your burn speed, if not faster. Otherwise, the chemical process that makes the blips on the burnt CDs may not have a chance to actually happen fully, and you've made a coaster. Slower burn speeds almost always produce more reliable results.
Old 11-21-2002, 08:37 AM
Masshole

I was burning at 44X using 48X Imation CD-R's, so I wasn't trying to burn faster than the media speed. What is odd, though, is that the Acura CD player was the only drive that had a problem with the CD burnt at 44X. I have an AIWA stereo (that's probably 7 years old) that could read it just fine.

Maybe the Imation disc burned at 44X is not as reflective as when it is burned at 16X? Is this possible? And then perhaps our Acura CD players are more sensitive than other players to disc reflectivity, which would explain why my 44X burned CDR would work in my AIWA player (and everything else I tried it in) but not my Acura player.

So this problem *could* be a combination of both the Imation media being shitty and not very reflective when burnt at a high speed (44X), as well as our car's CD player being sensitive to a disc with low reflectivity.

BTW, I'm just throwing out ideas here. But it does seem to me like our Acura CD players are at least somewhat more sensitive than other players.
Old 11-21-2002, 09:17 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Edgar, jesus dude... you have the answer lying here in front of you and you refuse to accept it.

Let me repeat myself... IT IS THE MEDIA. Yes, our stereo is picky... AS ARE ALL STOCK CAR STEREO. Deal with it.

Your problem though is the media your using.

I have burnt 100's of CD's at 48x. My favorite media is Memorex Audio CD's... they dont skip at all and are crystal clear. Both the tops and bottoms of the CD are pretty durable and resistent to scratching.

Switch your media.
Old 11-21-2002, 09:22 AM
Got 260+HP?

CD-R's

I play cd-r's burned at 24X all the time in mine.
Old 11-21-2002, 09:37 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by chatapuggy1
Hey Siggy, I don't want to turn this into a computer help desk, but I have a 48x, and now that I got XP, I cant burn any faster than 8X, how do you do it man, Im running 1.6 P4, 512k DDR, using roxio platinum, and even downloaded thier XP update, nothing, what a waste of a CDR.
PM me if you gotz tips.
Well one of the annoying things I have noticed with XP. Is if you have any problem while the system is burning it will disbale DMA mode for the drive. Forcing you to jump through hoops to get it re-enabled. Without DMA mode enabled, you will not be able to burn at any decent speed.

Make sure DMA mode is enabled.

Here's how to check...

Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management

Then click "Device Manager" insde of the computer management application.

Expand the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller" section by click the "+" next to it.

Do you know which channel your drive is installed on? And also if it's the Master (Device 0), or Slave (Device 1)?

Either way....

Right Click on "Primary IDE channel" bring up properties, then go to the "Advanced settings" tab.

Ensure the devices are set to
Transfer Mode: "DMA if available"
And Current Transfermode should be "Ultra DMA mode 2" on your system I would assume.

Check this for both channels. If it's "PIO mode" only. That is why you can only burn at 8x.

Now, if for some reason your box crashed while burning. XP will drop your system to "PIO mode" for the drive.

THIS IS VERY ANNOYING. Because it then locks out DMA mode selection.

If so, shut down your computer. Change the drive from it being slave to master, and or master to slave. This will then force XP to re-discover the drive when you boot back up. (this is a jumper on the back of the drive)

Im sure if you play around you might find a better way of doing this. I only had to do it once, so it wasn't a big deal.

EDIT:

Sorry for the OT thread. I'll send a PM for the next one, my bad...
I missed the part where he said "send me a pm"
Old 11-21-2002, 10:20 AM
Masshole

Soopa, I'm not refusing to accept anything. But the information currently available does not permit anything more than speculation as to what is causing the issue. To say that it is the media is just that, speculation. Without sufficient investigation, it isn't logical to definitively say what is the root of the problem. There could be other possibilities or combinations of those possibilities. If we could look at past experience with someone testing multiple brands of media burnt at 44X and then testing those in our car's stereo, then we'd be at least getting somewhere.

Whatever, though. This discussion is obviously going nowhere. Why don't we just close the thread and move on. I'll seek my answers elsewhere. Maybe if I set up a nifty experiment with different brands of media and see which ones work in our car's stereo after being burned at 44X, I'll report back here for everyone's future reference. That way when people ask why the fuck their CD-R's won't work in their car's stereo, we can give them a better idea why.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:24 AM
Banned

Re: Issue playing CD-R's burned at 44X in stock stereo

Has anyone else ecountered this problem? I tried burning an audio mix cd to a CD-R at 44X (CD-R was a 48X max disc). Went out to my car and tried to fire it up in the stock stereo but it just skipped and skipped and wouldn't play right.

So I grabbed another CD-R and reburned it, this time at 16X. And that worked! Does anyone happen to know why this is or what the maximum speed you can write a CD-R to have it work with our stock stereo systems?
Okay, how did you get a 44x burner because they do not make them that fast.

14x is the fastest I have seen in the market. 44x might be your read speed, but defintely not your burn speed.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:29 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Issue playing CD-R's burned at 44X in stock stereo

Originally posted by SilverBullet

14x is the fastest I have seen in the market. 44x might be your read speed, but defintely not your burn speed.
Damn, nevermind on what I said. I just looked and when the hell did they get that fast? Man, they did a big jump in speed when I last looked which was only about 6 months ago.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:35 AM
Masshole

Re: Re: Issue playing CD-R's burned at 44X in stock stereo

Originally posted by SilverBullet

I jumped in a time machine and went into the future. But really, 40X+ write speed burners have been out for like a year now.

For example:
http://www.bestbuy.com/ComputersPeri...t=511&scat=514

Digital Research 48x16x48 Internal CD-RW Drive
Iomega 40x12x48 External USB 2.0 CD-RW Drive
Memorex 52x24x52 Internal CD-RW Driv
Plextor PlexWriter 48x24x48 Internal CD-RW Drive
Samsung 48x16x48 Internal CD-RW Drive

The list goes on.

My drive is: Yamaha 44x24x44 Internal CD-RW Drive. That's 44X write, 24X rewrite, and 44X CDROM read speed.

So I'd say it's DEFINITELY a 44X burn speed.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:38 AM
Masshole

Sorry silverbullet, I was writing my previous post before I saw your last one.

Truthfully, I'm not sure when they got fast. But I do know quite a few people with > 24X burners and it doesn't seem like they've had them for that long. The price has come down a lot, though, that I do know.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:54 AM
Banned

Sorry silverbullet, I was writing my previous post before I saw your last one.

Truthfully, I'm not sure when they got fast. But I do know quite a few people with > 24X burners and it doesn't seem like they've had them for that long. The price has come down a lot, though, that I do know.
I might have to replace my 12x write..
Old 11-21-2002, 09:50 PM
10th Gear

Add me to the list too...

My 2 cents...

For every person who has had success with media brand XYZ...someone else has had problems. I have seen many people mention Memorex and I have had nothing but problems with them. TDK...on the other hand has been rock solid.

I might be able to shed some light on the problems we have all had. Until a few months ago I worked in the software CD recording industry so I have a little more insight than most.

My guess...

It is partially the stock players fault for maybe not being as compatible with CDR media as other players. It is partially the media's fault as many of you have pointed out. But I would bet that the major issue is that of BurnProof technology built into most high speed CD recorders. Chances are at high speed recording, BurnProof (or whatever your drive calls it) is getting activated from time to time. When that happens the writing laser shuts off for a split second to wait for more data to arrive to the drives buffer. When this happens it could screw up that part of the disc just enough where the Acura player punts. Makes sense since most everyone's problem goes away when you lower your recording speed. And let's face it...40x+ drives are not really doing 40x from the inner part of the disc to the outer part of the disc so dropping down a notch or two is really not going to hurt anything in the long run.

As an experiment...if the software you are using allows it, try disabling BurnProof and make a disc --- if you can make a disc. If it fails to record with BurnProof off --- then that means that BurnProof is probably being used when you make your discs. If you can still create a disc with BurnProof off at high speeds --- try it in the CL.

Just my thought...but I bet that is what is causing the problems we have all had.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by romigone
Add me to the list too...

My 2 cents...

For every person who has had success with media brand XYZ...someone else has had problems. I have seen many people mention Memorex and I have had nothing but problems with them. TDK...on the other hand has been rock solid.

I might be able to shed some light on the problems we have all had. Until a few months ago I worked in the software CD recording industry so I have a little more insight than most.

My guess...

It is partially the stock players fault for maybe not being as compatible with CDR media as other players. It is partially the media's fault as many of you have pointed out. But I would bet that the major issue is that of BurnProof technology built into most high speed CD recorders. Chances are at high speed recording, BurnProof (or whatever your drive calls it) is getting activated from time to time. When that happens the writing laser shuts off for a split second to wait for more data to arrive to the drives buffer. When this happens it could screw up that part of the disc just enough where the Acura player punts. Makes sense since most everyone's problem goes away when you lower your recording speed. And let's face it...40x+ drives are not really doing 40x from the inner part of the disc to the outer part of the disc so dropping down a notch or two is really not going to hurt anything in the long run.

As an experiment...if the software you are using allows it, try disabling BurnProof and make a disc --- if you can make a disc. If it fails to record with BurnProof off --- then that means that BurnProof is probably being used when you make your discs. If you can still create a disc with BurnProof off at high speeds --- try it in the CL.

Just my thought...but I bet that is what is causing the problems we have all had.
I'm out of date now, but wrote a bunch of CDW utilities and tools for CDW machines (back when they were around $5K for the writers).

The copy protection stuff -- it's getting to be a problem...

Just trying some different speeds can't hurt and a look-see at what's going on might help...

The following links will offer a fair amount of information on relevant topics.

Some more links of possible use:

http://www.bestpricecomputers.ltd.uk/freehelp/cdrw.htm

"Currently there are at least 25 different data CD protection schemes, and maybe five protection schemes for audio CDs. But these formats are going right to the edge and beyond of the Orange Book and Red Book CD industry standards. This can mean compatibility problems and degradation of playing quality, as Tom's Hardware's David Stellnack research points out: Mysteries of CDRWs and Backups Revealed. A must read if you are having problems copying CDs.

We do not condone the illegal duplication of copyrighted material but if you need to make a genuine backup of a CD that has a copyright lock preventing copying, this site may help: CD Media World

Further problems with CD Writing? Try some of the forums
alt.cdr.reviews
alt.comp.periphs.cdr
alt.philips.cdr.discussion
comp.publish.cdrom.hardware
comp.publish.cdrom.software
comp.sys.hp.hardware
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom
msn.computingcentral.hardware.general
msn.computingcentral.hardware.beginner.questions.. ."

Mysteries Of The CDRW and Back Ups Revealed

Does CDR/ CDRW Media or 'Write' Speed Make A Difference?

<hr></hr>

You will find the following hyperlinks on each page in the series from this base link:

http://www4.tomshardware.com/storage...617/index.html

Code:

Introduction 
Copy Protection...What Protection? 
Proper Software Is One Factor 
Does CDR/ CDRW Media or 'Write' Speed Make A Difference? 
Regular & Irregular Bit Patterns 
The Contenders - Four CDRW Drives With Different Results 
    CRW-1610A - Asus 
    LTR-24102B - Lite-On 
    PX-W2410A - Plextor 
    DVDRW208 - Philips 
Test System Configuration 
The Challenge Revealed More Than We Hoped For! 
Conclusion - Don't be sad, 'cuz two out of three ain't bad...

YMMV
Old 11-22-2002, 02:48 AM
Suzuka Master

For data, you can burn as fast as your system specs are capable.
But for me the general rule for audio cds is to go at most HALF the speed of the MAX in order to avoid Skips or jitters.

e.g. 8x data, 4x audio ; 48x data, at most 24x audio

And you can also try jitter correction too if your burning software has it.

Sometimes it takes a lot of trial and error to find the G-spot...uhh I mean sweet spot of your burning rates.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:27 PM
Instructor

Just found something out....

When I got home from the dealership 2 wks ago with my new 01 Aegean CL-S, I tried to play some CD's that I had kept in the CD changer in my mom's 02 MDX Touring Ed. They skipped like mad... so I was thinking about taking it in to the dealership and decided to try a slower speed (I didn't need the forum's help to come up w/that one...) so I went down from 48x until I got to 8x when it finally worked right.... Sounds familiar right? try this: I left the first CD's in that I had taken out of the MDX (I've had the car for 2 weeks and have been over my head in homework) and today I let the CD player play through all of the 6th disc (which is at 8x) and then it went back to disc 1, like normal...

but then my old 48x CDs played!!! So I'm not sure what the hell is going on with the thing, and I can't tell the difference between the quality of my 8x and 48x cd's (same playlist). And the media I use is Philips CD-R 80min (Got a 50pk @ BestBuy for $2 after rebate). I'm trying to figure out if what it needed was some 8x training wheels first or something, or maybe the previous owner did something??? I guess I'm looking for speculations or possibly real answers to why this happened - all out of curiousity of course.

Thanks, Rex