Intercooler Installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 07:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In addition, Bell Intercoolers has the core size I need at nearly $200 less.

I'll be doing a BOM list in the next few days and determine what a price would be.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by scalbert
Just a quick update:

For other production systems I will be using a shorter core, 3.5 inches versus the current 4.5 inches. This will allow for stock hood clearance and more than enough room for clearing the stock strut tower brace.

... thats what I like to read!!
Old 03-10-2004, 11:13 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What was your A/F ratio?? I'll be hooking up Brad's TechEdge unit as soon as it somes in until mine gets back. I'm really curious as to what the value is at now.

The new manifold design could be doing completely different things with the A/F ratio. Add to that the cooler air and it certainly should be leaner. I would be happy if it were in the 11.5:1 - 12.0:1 range right now as it gives some leway in adding pulse width where required when more boost is added.
It was running around 12.8 with blip to 13.8 at 3K-4K RPMS (when I hit max boost). This could obviously be tuned with the E-Manage, but not at that time!

One thing that was fundamentally different is that I used a one-way valve on the MAP sensor, while you apply a voltage clamp - that will affect the fuel-trim. What is your clamp value on the MAP set at?

On the current kit, I want 11.0's to 11.5's in A/F at all times!! We are going with 370cc injectors along with the Comptech FPR (set to a lower rise-rate). I want it to max at 80psi @ 6.5psi.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by allmotor_2000
One thing that was fundamentally different is that I used a one-way valve on the MAP sensor, while you apply a voltage clamp - that will affect the fuel-trim. What is your clamp value on the MAP set at?

On the current kit, I want 11.0's to 11.5's in A/F at all times!! We are going with 370cc injectors along with the Comptech FPR (set to a lower rise-rate). I want it to max at 80psi @ 6.5psi.
2.75 VDC is what I have the clamp set for. This seems to give the best balance from what I have found. Since the e-Manage uses the chassis ground as a reference but the ECU uses a separate MAP only ground, there is a slight variance between what I see in the e-Manage and what the ECU sees.

The fuel trim really should not be affected since it takes more throttle to get to that point than what it does for the ECU to go open loop.

I was actually thinking of staying in the 11.5:1 - 12.0:1 range with a little timing pulled to be safe. With less compression I would go up to 13.0:1 but that is not the case here.

That pressure range is what I am shooting for, maybe a little higher. How are you planning on changing the gain rate?? I still have my bleed screws made and will probably start with that.
Old 03-10-2004, 01:25 PM
Safety Car

I was actually thinking of staying in the 11.5:1 - 12.0:1 range with a little timing pulled to be safe. With less compression I would go up to 13.0:1 but that is not the case here.

That pressure range is what I am shooting for, maybe a little higher. How are you planning on changing the gain rate?? I still have my bleed screws made and will probably start with that.
We have crappy California-91 here, so I have to run a little richer to prevent detonation. Anyways, I got the universal Comptech FPR - it comes with severa rings/springs to adjust rate-of-gain.
Old 03-10-2004, 01:37 PM
Safety Car

The fuel trim really should not be affected since it takes more throttle to get to that point than what it does for the ECU to go open loop.

Well, think about this scenario. If I ask the ECU to reduce the injector duty cycle (idc for short) by reducing its air-flow readings (via the E-Manage), but it still sees WOT, what happens? Does it increase timing? Greddy mentioned that the E-manage accounts for larger injectors by adjust AirFlow & Map values (not by actually reducing the idc) - what are the side-effects of this?
Old 03-10-2004, 02:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Well, think about this scenario. If I ask the ECU to reduce the injector duty cycle (idc for short) by reducing its air-flow readings (via the E-Manage), but it still sees WOT, what happens? Does it increase timing? Greddy mentioned that the E-manage accounts for larger injectors by adjust AirFlow & Map values (not by actually reducing the idc) - what are the side-effects of this?
You nailed it, to compensate for larger injectors the air flow signal (MAP only in our case) needs to be altered, reduced. Obviously it will only be altered as much as and up to the clamp value. But below there there value will be reduced, but this is only when not under boost.

Whenever the airflow signal is reduced the ECU will calculate a lower load value. Generally, lower load values have more timing applied. But since we clamp our signal the ECU never really sees a signal reduction when under high load so the timing adjustment is simpler for us.

If this were a Mass Air flow system and were not clamping the signal, the signal would be reduced even under high load situations causing timing to be added by the ECU. Which would then probably need to be retarded with the e-Manage.

In short, since we clamp our primary air flow signal early, there really is no impact for us.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:33 PM
Suzuka Master

We have crappy California-91 here,
Gotcha, forgot about that 91 grade stuff you are limited to.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:43 PM
Suzuka Master

BTW, I just ordered a 3.5 inch SC pulley. The base SC pulley ended up being 3.8 inches at the top of the ribs. Running the numbers again gave me a net boost of about 8.1 PSI with the 3.5 inch pulley with the HBP.

I should have it in about three weeks.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:18 PM
Pro

Awesome, Steve
Old 03-11-2004, 03:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Steve,

Have you got any data on your air temps -- pre and post cooler *and* pre-cooler install?

You're still running your OBDII in the laptop (and are getting the IAT)? (yes/no?)

TIA

Looks great!
Old 03-11-2004, 04:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by EricL
Have you got any data on your air temps -- pre and post cooler *and* pre-cooler install?

You're still running your OBDII in the laptop (and are getting the IAT)? (yes/no?)
That is all in the works and should be done in the next couple of weeks. I didn't take any pre-SC installation temperature numbers as the blower discharge should be about the same. I was going to see if I have a TC in the warehouse with 1/4 inch pipe threads.

From what I can tell it is working well. It was 72 on my way home today and I got on it a few time right before getting home. I grabbed the pipe and it was hot. I put my hand on the plenum and it was cool. Something must be happening.

But I do want real data on this though as I will probably also try and capture some pressure readings too.

Yes, I still frequently use the OBDII software. I couldn't work like this without it.