Intercooler Installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 06:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The drive into work was enlightening. I finally got on it some and was very pleased. It wasn't as cool as expected this morning, in the high 40's, but it was pulling hard. Traction was non-existent in 2nd gear when rolling on the throttle.

If I were to guess I would say there is an easy 30+ WHP gain.

Now for something unusual and the jury is still out on it. Once I get on it in 1st or 2nd (diminishes in 3rd) and the boost comes up above about 2 PSI there is a significant intake sound. I can't describe it but it is a low growl that emanates from up front. Think of it being the open CAI sound but deeper and a little louder. It just sounds vicious.

We'll see what others think at the meet this coming Saturday. At first I was shocked and didn't like it. But after driving and seeing that it does not occur unless 50%+ throttle is applied I am beginning to like it. Under normal driving it sounds no different than before.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:49 AM
mister D

great work!!!
Old 03-08-2004, 07:46 AM
Homeless

I wonder how that I/C would work if you had a CO2 spray attached to it...
Old 03-08-2004, 07:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by chris3240929
I wonder how that I/C would work if you had a CO2 spray attached to it...
By the basic design, you would have to use the CO2 to cool the coolant. However, using the resevior I can add ice to it at the track. This should allow be to acheive greater than 100% efficiency.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by scalbert
I can't describe it but it is a low growl that emanates from up front. Think of it being the open CAI sound but deeper and a little louder. It just sounds vicious.
There's a tiger in your tank! Anyone remember that slogan?

I was in the garage all weekend removing parts and when it was all put back together, I started it up, let it warm up, and as I was checking for leaks, I leaned on the Ice Box, and the groaning I thought was an exhaust humm, went away. My point is there is a fair amount of resonance from the IceBox at idle, If the IC resonance is at more than 50% throttle, and inside your aluminum intake, I bet it is vicious!!
Old 03-08-2004, 09:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

The wideband will be there Wednesday.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Looks like next winters project for me..... I'll let you work out all the bugs and get things in order and then let me know when your ready.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by ModAddict
The wideband will be there Wednesday.
Thanks. I am curious how much this has affected the A/F ratio.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:06 AM
Suzuka Master

There's a tiger in your tank! Anyone remember that slogan?

If the IC resonance is at more than 50% throttle, and inside your aluminum intake, I bet it is vicious!!
Exxon??

I'll try to get an in car video of this, it is pretty cool the more I drive the car.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Smitty

Looks like next winters project for me..... I'll let you work out all the bugs and get things in order and then let me know when your ready.
It will probably be months before I am ready to make others. I want many miles on it and to clean up and fine tune the system. Not to mention the requisite dyno.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:17 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The drive into work was enlightening. I finally got on it some and was very pleased. It wasn't as cool as expected this morning, in the high 40's, but it was pulling hard. Traction was non-existent in 2nd gear when rolling on the throttle.

If I were to guess I would say there is an easy 30+ WHP gain.

Now for something unusual and the jury is still out on it. Once I get on it in 1st or 2nd (diminishes in 3rd) and the boost comes up above about 2 PSI there is a significant intake sound. I can't describe it but it is a low growl that emanates from up front. Think of it being the open CAI sound but deeper and a little louder. It just sounds vicious.

We'll see what others think at the meet this coming Saturday. At first I was shocked and didn't like it. But after driving and seeing that it does not occur unless 50%+ throttle is applied I am beginning to like it. Under normal driving it sounds no different than before.
Hey Steve. Do me a favor. When you dyno the car, dyno with your original timing settings (1psi / 2psi of boost) as well as for no-retard - that will be interesting stuff!!

This sounds fantastic, though - it will be scary with 8psi!!!

Old 03-08-2004, 10:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks. I am curious how much this has affected the A/F ratio.
FYI, for a while now, the display pegs full rich until things get warmed up a bit, then the normal readings will start like a switch was flipped, so don't be alarmed if it doesn't display correctly right away.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by allmotor_2000
Hey Steve. Do me a favor. When you dyno the car, dyno with your original timing settings (1psi / 2psi of boost) as well as for no-retard - that will be interesting stuff!!

This sounds fantastic, though - it will be scary with 8psi!!!
Will do, I saved the programs so it'll be easy to go between them.

Quite honestly, and I love power, this thing is more than enough at this point. I will try 8 PSI but may not leave it there. And BTW, it won't be as scary as the turbo at 8 PSI, Can't get away from that inherent belt drive loss.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:34 AM
Suzuka Master

FYI, for a while now, the display pegs full rich until things get warmed up a bit, then the normal readings will start like a switch was flipped, so don't be alarmed if it doesn't display correctly right away.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll try and remember that.

BTW, did you cut the sensor cable to get it back through the firewall?? I didn't think the connector would make it through any present openings.

Old 03-08-2004, 10:46 AM
Safety Car

Will do, I saved the programs so it'll be easy to go between them.

Quite honestly, and I love power, this thing is more than enough at this point. I will try 8 PSI but may not leave it there. And BTW, it won't be as scary as the turbo at 8 PSI, Can't get away from that inherent belt drive loss.
Once 2nd gear starts losing traction, that's about it for street-use; maybe at the track with better tires!

I bet you could hit 110-112mph; I suppose once you are in the 115-120mph range, that's super-car territory!!
Old 03-08-2004, 10:46 AM
Safety Car

I am unbelievably more confidant and sure about FI now on these cars and the reason is E-Manage!!
Old 03-08-2004, 10:57 AM
///M POWER

nice work steve,

get some sticky rubber and head to the track before the hotlanta summer comes in..

are u gonna stay with the same tire setup, u might need to come up with a rwd conversion
Old 03-08-2004, 11:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the heads up, I'll try and remember that.

BTW, did you cut the sensor cable to get it back through the firewall?? I didn't think the connector would make it through any present openings.

Actually, there is a hole in the firewall large enough. It's up high to the right, above the gas pedal from the inside, and there is a black plastic plug from the engine side. From the inside, it's like they punched the hole thru the rubber inner liner and the yellow foam insulation, but left it attached by a couple of tabs. From the engine side, look where the throttle cable comes thru the firewall, then look up 3" and to the left 2" and you should see the plastic plug. Pull that off, then poke the insulation into the interior with a blunt tool.

You can also cut the cord if you need to, no problem.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Once 2nd gear starts losing traction, that's about it for street-use; maybe at the track with better tires!

I bet you could hit 110-112mph; I suppose once you are in the 115-120mph range, that's super-car territory!!
Yep, it is becoming pointless to make more power on the road. But it is fun to experiment just to see where the limits are at. 112 MPH would be nice and I feel is doable at this point. With a little more boost 113 - 114 might be possible.

I'm really curious at what point the engine will give way. But I really don't care to find out. I'm comfortable with the power now.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by darrinb
get some sticky rubber and head to the track before the hotlanta summer comes in..

are u gonna stay with the same tire setup
I should be able to make it by the end of the month to Atlanta Dragway although it is not the best rack (about 1200 elevation and is not well prepped at times).

http://www.atlantadragway.com/2004_schedule.htm
Old 03-08-2004, 12:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Actually, there is a hole in the firewall large enough.

You can also cut the cord if you need to, no problem.
I know the one and it is currently be used for the 4 gauge power lead for the amps. :o

I may need to cut and resolder then.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:26 PM
Suzuka Master

One more thing, I went for another drive to check on the car. It feels like it really needs additional revs now. The new manifold design may have acheived the intended goal, to increase top end power. It feels like the torque keeps increasing as the revs climb, never letting up or diminishing.

The dyno will certainly be interesting.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:36 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 634 Likes on 281 Posts
great info and pics steve!

wow, your car is a BEAST!!

congrats
Old 03-08-2004, 12:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

I know the one and it is currently be used for the 4 gauge power lead for the amps. :o

I may need to cut and resolder then.
Go for it!
Old 03-08-2004, 12:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

One more thing, I went for another drive to check on the car. It feels like it really needs additional revs now. The new manifold design may have acheived the intended goal, to increase top end power. It feels like the torque keeps increasing as the revs climb, never letting up or diminishing.

You need to get stronger valve springs/retainers, and get rid of that pesky rev limmiter!
Old 03-08-2004, 07:25 PM
Suzuka Master

I finally got to test it on the highway on the way home today. Power was strong but that is not what I was looking for. I was watching the boost in 3rd gear pulls.

It has dropped a little but not by way of the IC. I moved the boost gauge line to before the IC and the numbers were practically the same. Prior to the IC with the stock manifold and the IMRC disconnected I would see a little over 7 PSI at the top end. It would start off at about 4 PSI down low and climb with the revs.

Now it starts at about 4.0 PSI, climbs to about 6.0 at about 4500 RPM and then trails off to about 5.0 PSI by the time I reach 7000 RPM. Since the blower is moving the same amount of air, it is cooler and the boost has dropped, the A/F ratio must have leaned out a bit. The engine is ingesting more and denser air with the same amount of fuel so it has to be going leaner. It also makes sense about the increased power. But I really need to know the A/F ratio before adding the new pulley which should take a few weeks to obtain.

In the mean time I'll continue testing.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Your belt could be slipping, you have described it to a "T". I consistantly had to over torque to 28+ ftlb to keep it from slipping. Once I got the two lockdown bolts tight, I'd back off, and re-torque the tensioner bolt to spec.

I would bet you are 0.5:1 leaner on the AFR than before the IC. I kept thinking this IC could bolt on and achieve an excelent AFR with stock tuning, and with the FMU just as it is set up from CT.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

BTW, and OT, when I picked up my pulley from Payn a few weeks back, Devin told me he was out at CT the week before and saw a new TL with "at least an M90" blower stuffed into it.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:04 PM
Bleed Honda Blue

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:11 AM
Racer

Adjustable Cam Sprocket ? Hummm
Old 03-09-2004, 12:22 AM
Subie Dubie

Amazing, great work Scalbert
Old 03-09-2004, 05:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Your belt could be slipping, you have described it to a "T".

I would bet you are 0.5:1 leaner on the AFR than before the IC. I kept thinking this IC could bolt on and achieve an excelent AFR with stock tuning, and with the FMU just as it is set up from CT.
I checked it and it is solid. It was climbing before the IC and I didn't touch the belt. It actually drops to about 5 PSI at around 6k revs and holds pretty steady so it does not appear to be the belt.

I had thought that the boost curve would change with the new manifold. Based on the design it should support top end flow better which would potentially lower the boost while increasing power. I'll keep and eye on it and track the value with the e-Manage log capability. I'll also order the new pulley later today, 8 PSI should be a hoot!!!

I dunno, I think it may be going leaner than that. The air should be about 20% denser. I wopuldn't be sureprised if it wasn't in the low to mid 12's.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:22 AM
Suzuka Master

BTW, and OT, when I picked up my pulley from Payn a few weeks back, Devin told me he was out at CT the week before and saw a new TL with "at least an M90" blower stuffed into it.
Hrmmm, that is very interesting... MP90 would be better suited for the 3.2L. I wonder if it could swap over.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:19 PM
THE SILVER BULLET

damn, you should video tape this
Old 03-09-2004, 05:37 PM
Suzuka Master

I will be, probably by this weekend.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Based on the design it should support top end flow better which would potentially lower the boost while increasing power.
The best of both worlds!

I wopuldn't be sureprised if it wasn't in the low to mid 12's.
Where were you before the IC?
Old 03-09-2004, 07:28 PM
Safety Car

FYI, I couldn't get my car into the 12's (A/F, I mean) with the turbocharger - so you are probably making about the same power, so it might be a good idea to check your A/F's.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Where were you before the IC?
Around 11.0, +/- 0.5 depending on RPM.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:32 AM
Suzuka Master

FYI, I couldn't get my car into the 12's (A/F, I mean) with the turbocharger - so you are probably making about the same power, so it might be a good idea to check your A/F's.
What was your A/F ratio?? I'll be hooking up Brad's TechEdge unit as soon as it somes in until mine gets back. I'm really curious as to what the value is at now.

The new manifold design could be doing completely different things with the A/F ratio. Add to that the cooler air and it certainly should be leaner. I would be happy if it were in the 11.5:1 - 12.0:1 range right now as it gives some leway in adding pulse width where required when more boost is added.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Just a quick update:

I had been experiencing a sound at high load, low gear situations. My first thought was that it was hitting the hood. After inspection I found that was not the case as there was no evidence. I then thought it may an air velocity and resonance issue and was about to accept this being the case.

However, last night while I was attempting to remount the reservoir I noticed some wear on the coupling on the end tank. I checked the bottom of the factory strut bar and it was scratched. So I decided to remove the strut bar and see if the sound was still present. To my delight, it was completely gone and the car sounded as docile as before, except for the blower whine.

Now I will just modify my strut bar to allow for clearance. For other production systems I will be using a shorter core, 3.5 inches versus the current 4.5 inches. This will allow for stock hood clearance and more than enough room for clearing the stock strut tower brace.

Quick Reply: Intercooler Installed