Intercooler finally installed on 5 sp auto!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 05:03 AM
13.68 @ 102.56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intercooler finally installed on 5 sp auto!!

I just got back from Tennessee(family reunion) and on the way up I stopped in Georgia to see Scalbert and his family. While visiting with Steve he put in the Intercooler, reservoir tank, 2 heat exchangers, e-manage and all necessary hardware and plumbing. The car feels very responsive, powerful now and a bit more confident. From a stop to 7 lbs. of boost the car is great. As it goes past 7 lbs. there is the check engine light flashing. I was able to get 8lbs with the help of the e-manage but check engine light once again flashes on and off. There is some tweaking to be made as this is the first 5 speed auto with this application, apparently the 6 Sp manuals seem to behave differently??? I'm not really sure where the max boost is, it very well might be at 8lbs( there might be an additional 1/2 to 1 pound for a max of 9lbs off boost).

I have a dyno scheduled and then after that some track times to see how the car performs.

Once the car is fully tweaked and tuned I'll try and post results for:
1) Dyno with HP/TQ, Air and fuel ratios, and difference between water and water and ice in the reservoir.
2) Track times (60fts, ETs and MPH)
3) The performance of the 5sp auto tranny with this much boost. The tranny is a full rebuilt with carbon graphite clutches, LSD, hardened shafts and bearings w. a higher stall converter. (This tranny even though it has been in the car for about 4-6 months has not seen any track time)

BTW I saw a modified import going south on 75 with a tag that said "OutRNYA" but he couldn't !!

I want to publicly thank Steve on this forum for all his research and hard work putting this package together. I know that it must off taken Steve endless/countless days and nights to figure and plan all this out. Once again Steve thanks again from me and all the people on this sight who have benefited from your hard work....KUDOS TO YOU!!!
JP
Old 09-21-2004, 05:26 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Hope everything works out for ya!
Old 09-21-2004, 06:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Great to hear you made it back fine. Sorry I missed your call and couldn't meet up on Sunday night. It was great to meet you though but the girls were disappointed that the boys did not come back by.

I should have the new harness ready tomorrow or Thursday night in preparation of shipping it to you on the following day.

I also forgot about another thing and it is good that we didn't crack open the FPR. Do you know if they changed out the spring too when they re-did it?? If so, you will need to go back to the base kit spring and then add the new disk and ring. Are you going to have someone change the FPR or will you try it your self?? It is rather easy, a helping hand will be beneficial though.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

3) The performance of the 5sp auto tranny with this much boost. The tranny is a full rebuilt with carbon graphite clutches, LSD, hardened shafts and bearings w. a higher stall converter. (This tranny even though it has been in the car for about 4-6 months has not seen any track time)

JP[/QUOTE]

Could you post the details of this trans rebuild,, ie.. was it a kit from someone? or detailed parts list, cost and the shop that did the rebuild. I'm still on the plan of adding a sc at the 100k mile mark (next year),, looks like I had better plan a trans as well.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:41 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Velocity Resources I believe.

Contact DeansblackCLS
Old 09-21-2004, 11:27 AM
13.68 @ 102.56

Originally Posted by mrsteve
Velocity Resources I believe.

Contact DeansblackCLS
It is now "Speed Distributors" and you can contact Jason as well.

As all goes well I'll post results of tranny.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:29 AM
13.68 @ 102.56

Originally Posted by scalbert
Great to hear you made it back fine. Sorry I missed your call and couldn't meet up on Sunday night. It was great to meet you though but the girls were disappointed that the boys did not come back by.

I should have the new harness ready tomorrow or Thursday night in preparation of shipping it to you on the following day.

I also forgot about another thing and it is good that we didn't crack open the FPR. Do you know if they changed out the spring too when they re-did it?? If so, you will need to go back to the base kit spring and then add the new disk and ring. Are you going to have someone change the FPR or will you try it your self?? It is rather easy, a helping hand will be beneficial though.
I'd like to do it myself if I could and a helping hand sounds good. I'm not sure as to if the base sring is on or not though.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by SCTL-SS
I'd like to do it myself if I could and a helping hand sounds good. I'm not sure as to if the base sring is on or not though.
were gonna have to hook up soon...i'd like to check that tranny out myself...anychang in gear ratios...ability to hold 1st? firmness of the shifts?
Old 09-21-2004, 12:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Could you find out if they changed the spring??
Old 09-21-2004, 12:13 PM
Blown LS6!!

Wow! Nice! If my tranny goes after 100k I'll definitely be looking at a rebuild + intercooler (if Scalbert still does 'em).
Old 09-21-2004, 09:21 PM
Bleed Honda Blue

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just wondering if you are running with the updated or the original ECU. I didn't like the part that your engine light is flashing. I am still having nightmare over blinking engine light because that was exactly what happen when my when my engine blew. :'(
Old 09-21-2004, 11:09 PM
Banned

prob cause you have no cat and once it hits above x amount of boost you are running that much richer and setting ofdf the o2 sensor ... at least thats what im thinking
Old 09-21-2004, 11:14 PM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hope things work out for you !!

Does the new tranny affect ratios, or do you still have the dreaded 4th/5th cruising gears ?
Old 09-22-2004, 11:44 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Congrats man.

Can't wait for some pics, dyno and some times.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:46 PM
13.68 @ 102.56

Originally Posted by typeR
were gonna have to hook up soon...i'd like to check that tranny out myself...anychang in gear ratios...ability to hold 1st? firmness of the shifts?
As to the ability of holding first I'm not sure, I do know that the rev limiter would some times bounce on the previous tranny with the HBP. That unit had the graphite clutches as to what this one will do...I don't know. I can tell you that the shifts are very stiff and firm, I guess at this point that's a good thing. Track performance is yet to be seen.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:48 PM
13.68 @ 102.56

Originally Posted by scalbert
Could you find out if they changed the spring??
From what I've been told the only adjustment made on the FPR was external, so from that info I believe the stock spring ios still in there.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:54 PM
13.68 @ 102.56

Originally Posted by Red Rider
Hope things work out for you !!

Does the new tranny affect ratios, or do you still have the dreaded 4th/5th cruising gears ?

No, the gears are not affected. But I can tell you that 3rd gear now feels like 2nd....maybe 4th will feel like third,and fifth etc..??

Just wondering if you are running with the updated or the original ECU. I didn't like the part that your engine light is flashing. I am still having nightmare over blinking engine light because that was exactly what happen when my when my engine blew.

This is a serious concern. I'm hoping that the adjustment to the FPR and e-manage(if nessacersy will help with that)

Sorry all for the individual posts I don't know how to quote every one with one reply.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:46 AM
Suzuka Master

From what I've been told the only adjustment made on the FPR was external, so from that info I believe the stock spring ios still in there.
Did you find the disk and ring in the bag??