If there is no RES mod by Jan 15th, I will make my own!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2002, 10:59 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If there is no RES mod by Jan 15th, I will make my own!!!

I am toying with the idea of building my own RES mod if RC RES does not show up by Jan 15th!

The RES is not that tough to make. The tuned resonating interrior of the RES would not be more than gently rounded and smooth curve as not make wind turblances...

Sure it would be dyno-proved to generate claimed Torque and HP.

Anyone interested in having one ?
Old 01-04-2002, 11:06 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

i'll join you
Old 01-04-2002, 11:07 AM
Retired Post Whore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I will bring the Play Doh. I will sculpt the RES while you guys can do the finishing work to it!
Old 01-04-2002, 11:15 AM
Team Owner

I’m quite proficient at 3D CAD modeling.

Shawn S
Old 01-04-2002, 11:27 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Ok! Great interest...

Just to give a credit to those who would participate in this project.

For now, let us call it: A-CL MM. We will annouce the offical name once released for all.

First, we will build a designer team from acura-cl.com and acura-tl.com members.

Second, we come up with hand drawn scketchs based on brain storming design session wth an inital air-flow and Helmotz Resonance Analysis.

Then, Shawn S, will build the 3D model.

And, a Prototye would be then CNC machined.

Finally, the Prototype of A-CL MM would be dynoed.

If the the prototype performed as planned, mass production plans would be set.

What do you think?
Old 01-04-2002, 11:33 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Sounds good to me
Old 01-04-2002, 11:50 AM
Team Owner

Old 01-04-2002, 11:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
what about dougs patent
Old 01-04-2002, 11:52 AM

nice!!! Hope you guys can make one that give more Hp and torque than the RES
Old 01-04-2002, 11:54 AM

btw im quite proficient at uhhh buying coffee and beers and snacks. I can help.
Old 01-04-2002, 12:03 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Originally posted by typeR
what about dougs patent
I doubt his design idea could be patentable or his patent if any could be defended. Increasing the volume of the plunum is in the "state of Art" of designing intake manifolds.

Some background on the designe of the Tuned Resonating Intake Manifold:

A tuned intake manifold is a device that relies on resonance of air to increase airflow into the cylinders (and thus performance).

When a cylinder's intake valve is open and the piston is moving down, atmospheric pressure pushes air into the cylinder. When the intake valve snaps shut, the air still has velocity and inertia, so a 'shock wave' is created that sends a pressure pulse backwards into the intake manifold (at the speed of sound).

A tuned manifold uses separate air passages (runners) for each cylinder. At certain frequencies of valve opening and closing, the air column in the runner will start to resonate. This causes energy from the reflected pressure wave to combine with the static air pressure to 'push' more air into the cylinder than
would be done by air pressure alone.

After the throttle and before the runners is a chamber called the plenum. This is a volume of air that helps isolate the resonant pulses of the runners from the desired smooth flow of air past the throttle.

By choosing the length and diameter of the runners, an intake manifold can be 'tuned' for optimum performance at a certain RPM range. Longer, narrower runners favor lower RPM's because they have a lower resonant frequency, and the smaller diameter helps increase the air velocity. Shorter, wider runners favor higher RPM's because they have a higher resonant frequency, and the larger diameter is less restrictive to air flow.
Old 01-04-2002, 12:21 PM
Old timer

All I know is I want a working, useable RES on my car by the end of the month.
Old 01-04-2002, 12:25 PM
Retired Post Whore

Originally posted by JRock
All I know is I want a working, useable RES on my car by the end of the month.
We all do.
Old 01-04-2002, 12:46 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Another site with good info on this topic:
http://www.geocities.com/mikey9t6/car_uvwxyz_vris.htm
Old 01-04-2002, 01:21 PM
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

heheheh.... talk about a lack of patience... How in the HELL are you gonna pull this off?? I assume many hours of R&D went into designing the RES mod and there is no way you can pull it off in the next couple of weeks.

I personally am upset about Doug's (and even Tim's) lack of communication about the release of this product. They come here once a month, make a short post and don't answer questions. I am losing faith in this product ever being produced, but I don't see why other performance companies don't just R&D a similar concept.... it would be nice to have a COMPTECH RES!! :P
Old 01-04-2002, 01:39 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

from the spring model:

It's clear by insreasing the plenum volume you would increase the stiffness of the spring B which in turn woud excert more force on the air Mass A that would be forced into the cylinder.

Hopefully, at resonance that will lead to a higher power to the engine.

At the end, the A-CL RES designer team would have to sort out the "technical issues".

http://www.geocities.com/mikey9t6/car_uvwxyz_vris.htm
Old 01-04-2002, 02:03 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

EricL and Scalbert,

What do you think ?

Any thoughts on this?
Old 01-04-2002, 02:58 PM
Rod
Drifting

Originally posted by ruvz
...it would be nice to have a COMPTECH RES!! :P
If Doug estimated a price of approximately $299.99 for his product, you know a Comptech RES will probably come in at $569.99.
Old 01-04-2002, 04:00 PM
Pro

I would have to agree with the thought of the lack of communication. It would be nice it we could have updates at least every other week. Many of us have already saved up our $300 for the RES and are getting impatient.

And then we have the MMII!!!!!!! What is it? Where is it? When will it come?

I really to appreciate that people are giving our cars some attention. I just wish they would hurry up.
Old 01-04-2002, 04:47 PM
Burning Brakes

count me in
Old 01-04-2002, 05:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Get SAE paper 871977 – it will be a pre-1998 paper and will require a call to SAE Customer Service at 1-877-606-7323

And

Link: http://www.rs-productions.com/RSP_Mo...sae-920677.htm

(Everyone references that same SAE paper!)

I was going to go on a long technical diatribe about how theory and practice go hand-in-hand. So, the steps are:

1. Get Doug so pissed-off that he will never come back here (well, who knows)

2. Get the SAE paper (that would be a good start).

3. See if there are already some good macro models

4. You will need the firing order, cylinder volumes, plenum volumes, and other info that may surprise you.

5. A cut-and-try method can be used with a dyno for empirical data that can be used to update the math models (be sure to have a temp. controlled chamber for best results at your target temperature, etc.) Match the results against the predicted math model and refine it to save on dyno time.

6. Finally -- make sure that you get more power at all speeds...

7. Oh - a guinea pig with plenty of time on his hands to have their RES ready about the time that Doug is selling the last of his!

Hmmm... Interested in making or designing a variable resonance system that changes the air volume with air-density (altitude and temperature)???
Old 01-04-2002, 06:22 PM
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Originally posted by Rod

If Doug estimated a price of approximately $299.99 for his product, you know a Comptech RES will probably come in at $569.99.
Even if a COMPTECH RES is $800, it is still good bang for the buck and you have a VERY reputable company behind it.... Not another Xephyr mystery all over again!

And MM2?? Why not wait till the first one shows up before even being somewhat excited about #2!!
Old 01-04-2002, 07:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Hell count me in.
Old 01-04-2002, 10:29 PM
Pro

I'm in

As for the "X" incident, I had no problems. Xephyr told me 7days. It showed up in 4days. Too bad though, the CAI he made was pretty good.
Old 01-04-2002, 10:40 PM
Stealthy A-CL Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Dang, my super-low-cost homemade RES prototype exploded during initial testing....

Whatever you guys do, don't skimp on research, engineering and materials.
Old 01-04-2002, 11:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by IntegraVT
Dang, my super-low-cost homemade RES prototype exploded during initial testing....

Whatever you guys do, don't skimp on research, engineering and materials.

What could you mean?

I've got metric pliers and crescent wrenches; an old slide rule; and a box of high-temp crayons for simulated powder coat jobs
Old 01-04-2002, 11:07 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Can we assemble a designer team for this project?

List so far:

1) Nashua
2) EricL ( Can I count you in ? )
3) Scalbert
Old 01-05-2002, 06:26 AM
In Da LBC with Snoop Dogg

Hell, I'd like to have one, but I think I am part of the minority ( again, damn!!!) with a 3.0 CL.
Old 01-05-2002, 03:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk

List so far:

1) Nashua

3) Scalbert

Hmmm... If you going to buy the SAE paper for us *and* if we don't hear from Doug in the next few weeks...

I did notice the "Much of the above discussion is based on equations and theory, both of which don't always predict reality reliably" quote in the BRIS Heaven page/link you posted!

BTW -- does anyone own the SAE archive disk with pre 1998 papers on it ????
Old 01-05-2002, 04:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by EricL

BTW -- does anyone own the SAE archive disk with pre 1998 papers on it ????
I'll send some email out to some people I know at various manufacturers. I know the guys at Calsonic will have various listings, or hell, we could just buy the white paper.
Old 01-05-2002, 04:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by scalbert

I'll send some email out to some people I know at various manufacturers. I know the guys at Calsonic will have various listings, or hell, we could just buy the white paper.
Thanks Steve, I was going to just call SAE (again) and order the paper, but there is no pricing for pre-1998 papers. Some of the book and papers are not that expensive, but if someone has the disk, it could be helpful.

Here is the full reference:

K. Hatamura et al., "Mazda's New V-6 Gasoline Engine and Its Innovative Induction System", SAE Paper No. 871977

You have PM

TIA!
Old 01-05-2002, 04:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk

List so far:

1) Nashua
3) Scalbert
I would honestly like to find out what Doug is doing on it, is it still a viable product which will be marketed?? I'd rather not step on anyone's toes. But if the project has been permanently suspended then I would certainly be game.

The first step, besides some book work, would be to take the current chamber lid and have a shop make a taller unit. This would be an initial and crude piece but could be tested.

Remember though, there are oiling passages in there, so you don't want leaks. But again, I'm waiting to hear what the status is from Doug and then make a decision.
Old 01-05-2002, 04:30 PM
Suzuka Master

I would honestly like to find out what Doug is doing on it, is it still a viable product which will be marketed?? I'd rather not step on anyone's toes. But if the project has been permanently suspended then I would certainly be game.

The first step, besides some book work, would be to take the current chamber lid and have a shop make a taller unit. This would be an initial and crude piece but could be tested.

Remember though, there are oiling passages in there, so you don't want leaks. But again, I'm waiting to hear what the status is from Doug and then make a decision.

Ditto! You put it perfectly!

BTW -- I wonder how hard it would be to make a oversized "box" with a thick internal top plate (with seal) on 4 small jack screws to allow for quick-and-dirty adjustments in overall chamber volume…
Old 01-05-2002, 06:25 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Whoa, wait, the project might be suspended? I know it was delayed because the magnesium material wasn't working out but has there been other news?
Old 01-05-2002, 09:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by EricL

BTW -- I wonder how hard it would be to make a oversized "box" with a thick internal top plate (with seal) on 4 small jack screws to allow for quick-and-dirty adjustments in overall chamber volume…
You would need two adjustable plates as the top half would be seperated by a 'wall'. It would be possible but hood clearance may be at risk.

Another possibility would be to make the maximum size and decrease from there with plates bolted in, or even a JB Weld (but too long to set).
Old 01-05-2002, 10:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Zapata
Whoa, wait, the project might be suspended? I know it was delayed because the magnesium material wasn't working out but has there been other news?
Why Magnesium?? Aluminum is just fine. The block is aluminum, why even think of a costlier material. Plus, this is not a structural component. If we do this, aluminum is fine...
Old 01-05-2002, 10:27 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

First, I would like thank you all for your particpation in this project.

I like the idea of a vraiable-height plate inside a box.

First, we would like to make the "box" that clear the hood.
The hood clearance has to be addressed first. The unit would have to be mass produced aferall.

From the helm manual, the current plate does cover multi cavities and it is sealed by a gasket. Those cavities need to have some attention as not to srew up their purpose.

Second, the upper plate inside a box could be constructed to be raised or lowered (to change the plumum volume) via a sliding ruler. The plate can be lowered or raised while the unit is bolted on the manifold and the car is dynoed.

Third, the shape of the upper is not necessarily flat, but my inital research would suggest that it should be rounded at the end as not to slow down the rushing air and second to keep same distance to all pistons.

Once tuned on a dyno, the final upper plate shape and height that constructs the added volume to the plumum can be finallized. Inital Prototype can be machined to the spec.

If the Prototype would procduced the expected HP and torque gains, casting and polishing would follow.

Guys, let us keep up the good work