I hate when people with 80's style Camaros think they are fast!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2001, 07:01 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate when people with 80's style Camaros think they are fast!!!!!!!

My little sister is in highschool, and one of her little friends has an 88 Camaro RS (REALLY SLOW). I was driving home this afternoon, and he pulled up next to me and wanted to race....you din't have to twist my arm, so when the light turned green, we took off. Once we got up to 75, he was already 2 cars back, so I let off. We get to the next light and he starts spitting out the excuses. Just one more reason why I hate Camaro owners....If you lose, shut up and take it
Old 10-20-2001, 08:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I bent my wookie.
Old 10-20-2001, 08:50 PM
Race Director

Re: I hate when people with 80's style Camaros think they are fast!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Nicky Pass
My little sister is in highschool, and one of her little friends has an 88 Camaro RS (REALLY SLOW). I was driving home this afternoon, and he pulled up next to me and wanted to race....you din't have to twist my arm, so when the light turned green, we took off. Once we got up to 75, he was already 2 cars back, so I let off. We get to the next light and he starts spitting out the excuses. Just one more reason why I hate Camaro owners....If you lose, shut up and take it

Nice Kill man, I don't know much about Camaros but did they make a fast one like in the mid 80s that's a T-Top IROC Z28. I'm just wondering if those are thought to be fast or are they really quick and if so how fast do those go.
Old 10-20-2001, 09:36 PM
Banned

Re: Re: I hate when people with 80's style Camaros think they are fast!!!!!!!

Originally posted by pgatour1

Nice Kill man, I don't know much about Camaros but did they make a fast one like in the mid 80s that's a T-Top IROC Z28. I'm just wondering if those are thought to be fast or are they really quick and if so how fast do those go.
Nah, all the 3rd generation Camaros/Firebirds/TransAms (82-92) are pretty slow, with the exception of the Turbo TransAm.

They varied by year, but the V8s went from the mid-high 15 range in 82 to the high 14s in 92, with pretty much a steady improvment of .2-.3 every 3 or so years...

I don't recall any special edition production Camaro that was faster than the others. If there was, I can't see it being fast by today's standards.
Old 10-22-2001, 03:50 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: I hate when people with 80's style Camaros think they are fast!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Pull_T

......with the exception of the Turbo TransAm.

No doubt...84=86 I think....turbo v6...Grand National/Turbo Regal clones...all you have to know is that those things are 9-10 daily drivers....
Old 10-22-2001, 04:29 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: I hate when people with 80's style Camaros think they are fast!!!!!!!

Originally posted by moomaster_99
No doubt...84=86 I think....turbo v6...Grand National/Turbo Regal clones...all you have to know is that those things are 9-10 daily drivers....
Unless I'm mistaken, there are only the '89 20th Anniversary Models of the Turbo T/A. Yes, the same powerplant as the GN, Regal Turbo and the Sy/Ty.

Hope you're not saying it's a 9-10 second daily driver, though. Stock, it's not really very fast...one of the fastest cars in on of the slowest eras...14.0-14.3, but it was really good out of the hole with that low end power.
Old 10-22-2001, 04:45 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I hate when people with 80's style Camaros think they are fast!!!!!!!

Unless I'm mistaken, there are only the '89 20th Anniversary Models of the Turbo T/A. Yes, the same powerplant as the GN, Regal Turbo and the Sy/Ty.

Hope you're not saying it's a 9-10 second daily driver, though. Stock, it's not really very fast...one of the fastest cars in on of the slowest eras...14.0-14.3, but it was really good out of the hole with that low end power.
You can get it there....it's a turbo six on top of the GM 3800 block....right!?! And we all know that straight from the factory...turbo cars are hindered. BTW, I thought it came out in 86 or something?? I could be wrong...
Old 10-22-2001, 04:52 PM
6 speed...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I hate when people with 80's style Camaros think they are fast!!!!!!!

fwiw: production sytys used the 4.3 liter blocks, not the regal gn 3.8 liter.
Old 10-22-2001, 05:00 PM
6 speed...

well, there was also the 1980-81 301 turbo t/a...

but you'd never confuse the two body styles.
Old 10-22-2001, 05:06 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I hate when people with 80's style Camaros think they are fast!!!!!!!

Originally posted by tankmonkey

well, there was also the 1980-81 301 turbo t/a...

but you'd never confuse the two body styles.
Okay I feel stupid..only 89...
But they were the 3.8L...and heard that 10s weren't to hard...at least not in the GN .....
Old 10-22-2001, 05:20 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I hate when people with 80's style Camaros think they are fast!!!!!!!

Okay I feel stupid..only 89...
But they were the 3.8L...and heard that 10s weren't to hard...at least not in the GN .....
No, not stupid at all...

You can ask me about a lot of imports and I won't know all the nuances of models, powerplants, special editions, etc.

10s in a Turbo T/A (or GN or Turbo Regal) is not that difficult a proposition. Higher flowing heads, built bottom end, bring the boost to 1.5 bar and you got the power for 10s. Tranny, rear end and suspension would be needed as well. 9s would be more of the same, more boost, prolly back-half the car, race tranny, etc. If you had one capable of 10s it would be stretching the bounds of the "daily driver" category, though and 9s would be strictly trailered race car only.

On the other hand, mid-low 12s on one of these would be very simple/afforable and definitely still streetable. There is a reason why this motor has the reputation/mystique it does.
Old 10-22-2001, 05:37 PM
Banned

If only GM would actually do something with the 3800....smooth as all hell...I have to admit..that GM makes the best trannys in the world...hands down...and for those who don't think so....find out where that tranny for the M5 comes from..
Old 10-22-2001, 05:56 PM
6 speed...

If only GM would actually do something with the 3800....smooth as all hell...I have to admit..that GM makes the best trannys in the world...hands down...and for those who don't think so....find out where that tranny for the M5 comes from..
so, are you saying that getrag gmbh got bought out by gm or or that both bmw and gm are using the same tranny supplier for certain applications?
Old 10-22-2001, 06:19 PM
Banned

so, are you saying that getrag gmbh got bought out by gm or or that both bmw and gm are using the same tranny supplier for certain applications?
Same tranny for certain apps...sorry, got confused again...heheh...damn it..I read it somewhere that they were going to use some sort of GM/getrag tranny...maybe the SMG tranny??
Old 10-22-2001, 06:35 PM
6 speed...

Same tranny for certain apps...sorry, got confused again...heheh...damn it..I read it somewhere that they were going to use some sort of GM/getrag tranny...maybe the SMG tranny??
dunno. it's cool either way, I was just operating under the impression that it was getrag making the specialty manual trannies for bmw, gm, porsche, audi, etc.

maybe somebody else around here knows for sure.

now, some of gm's auto trannies are world class and are home grown right here in north america, to boot...
Old 10-22-2001, 09:01 PM
Banned

dunno. it's cool either way, I was just operating under the impression that it was getrag making the specialty manual trannies for bmw, gm, porsche, audi, etc.

maybe somebody else around here knows for sure.

now, some of gm's auto trannies are world class and are home grown right here in north america, to boot...
As far as I know, Getrag has it's hands in almost every tranny under development out there across all brands.

As a Ford guy, it pains me to say, but GM has had damn good transmissions for decades, both manual and slushbox...
Old 11-04-2001, 02:27 AM
My bolonga has a 1st name

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I bent my wookie.
I've heard that in a couple posts now, what the hell are u talking about ?
Old 11-05-2001, 10:07 AM
Banned

Originally posted by 97AcuraCL

I've heard that in a couple posts now, what the hell are u talking about ?
It's a quote by Ralph from The Simpsons.

You brought this one back from the dead for that ???