I Beat a 350z

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 06:33 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Beat a 350z

Last night crusin home from my car club meeting a 350z flies by me with his hazards on...so i step on it. mind u i was jus fukin with him cause i never knew i had a chance. we started hitting 130 to 135 and i started to pass him once my Vtech kicked in. He looks at me with a WHAT THA FUCK Face and flicks his middle finger at me so i jus keep passin him til he can see my rear end and i flash my hazards on his ass...very nice kill if u ask me!
Old 01-27-2003, 06:35 AM
www.drippinwet.com

sweet, don't you hate it when they give you the finger
Old 01-27-2003, 08:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
How the hell were you in the VTEC RPM range at 135 mph?? From what I've been reading on here the CL-S/TL-S is a dog from 115+ b/c the RPMs are so low at that speed b/c you're usually in 4th or 5th (hence you can't hit VTEC).

I'm not saying you didn't beat him, just questioning the VTEC at 135mph.....
Old 01-27-2003, 09:30 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by juniorbean
How the hell were you in the VTECRPM range at 135 mph. At that speed you should not have been near 4800 RPMS. Plus, every story I've read says that the CL-S/TL-S is a dog from 115+ b/c of the low RPMs.

I'm not saying you didn't beat him, just questioning the VTEC at 135mph.....
The car is a dog from about 115-125 then gets back into VTEC. You are in VTEC in 4th gear at 135 The car pulls pretty well at that speed especially with headers.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:58 AM

what are the trannies in both cars, auto or six speed. that would make a little difference.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:36 PM
Racer

haha...

Um, maybe the 350Z didn't feel like dying with his brand new car? 135 on a highway???

You know, it's possible that not EVERYONE wants to run their car until the engine stops giving...
Old 01-27-2003, 04:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally posted by Black CL-S 4-Life
The car is a dog from about 115-125 then gets back into VTEC. You are in VTEC in 4th gear at 135 The car pulls pretty well at that speed especially with headers.
ahhh, makes sense. I've never been that fast, so I have to take everyone's word on it

In that case you probably smoked him. Good stuff!! I just hope there was no traffic around.
Old 01-27-2003, 04:06 PM
GTP

Sweet kill man...how fast did you end up going?
Old 01-27-2003, 07:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
IBnissan nazis

IBbs flag

nice kill
Old 01-27-2003, 07:40 PM
What can I get ya?

Was he still acclerating at the end?
Old 01-27-2003, 10:02 PM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice kill, do u got a auto or stick??
Old 01-27-2003, 10:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Details.............
Old 01-27-2003, 10:58 PM
Official BS Sniffer

as an official B.S. sniffer, I will have to enter this:

maevonee, you need to find a hobby besides posting crap like this on the internet....
Old 01-28-2003, 08:28 AM
Pro

Re: I Beat a 350z

Originally posted by maevonee
we started hitting 130 to 135 and i started to pass him once my Vtech kicked in.
You do realize your 4th gear is like .75:1 ratio right? Meaning VTEC still won't do shit for you. At those speeds I don't see how people are saying "...it pulls hard when VTEC hits, or with headers..." ect.

I believe you beat this 350Z, but I also believe that if he was on it he would have left you after 115mph and you would not have caught him...oops but I forget, Nissan doesn't have VTEC.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:03 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Re: I Beat a 350z

Originally posted by AC
You do realize your 4th gear is like .75:1 ratio right? Meaning VTEC still won't do shit for you. At those speeds I don't see how people are saying "...it pulls hard when VTEC hits, or with headers..." ect.
The car does pull harder with headers I can vouch for that. I raced my friends A6 2.7 tip with just CAI from 55-130 and lost. I raced him again about two weeks ago with headers and won.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:20 AM
cmng 2 a lawschool near u

Umm, do you have a 6spd cls?
Old 01-28-2003, 11:18 AM
Pro

Re: Re: Re: I Beat a 350z

Originally posted by Black CL-S 4-Life
The car does pull harder with headers I can vouch for that. I raced my friends A6 2.7 tip with just CAI from 55-130 and lost. I raced him again about two weeks ago with headers and won.
I'm basing my experience against NovaWhiteTypeS, his car pulls hard but literally runs out at around 110...as if it hit a wall. He has I/H/E. At 130, the 350Z would be way ahead and no VTEC is gonna catch it...sorry.

Having owned a TL with H/I/E/VAFC, 4th gear was always shitty for me. I Remember when a 740i walked me down and past me right before I hit 4th gear.

Now a 6spd would be different.

I don't know much about the 2.7T A6 with Tip, Ming would be able to answer much better than I.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:47 AM
Official BS Sniffer

Even a 6-speed CL-S would get walked on the highway. The Z has more power, better gearing, less drag, and less weight and is still making 98% of peak power at redline. Plus the Z DOES have VTC which is a more advanced version of VTEC. VTC CONTINUIOUSLY varies valve lift and timing unlike VTEC.

A modded CL-S 6-speed could be a different story, but that's going to be the case with many races...there are a lot of "what ifs".

The guy who posted this kill is obviously just a jerk looking to stir things up a bit, he didn't even spell VTEC right...go look, he typed "vtech".
Old 01-28-2003, 08:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by TypeSKiller
Even a 6-speed CL-S would get walked on the highway. The Z has more power, better gearing, less drag, and less weight and is still making 98% of peak power at redline. Plus the Z DOES have VTC which is a more advanced version of VTEC. VTC CONTINUIOUSLY varies valve lift and timing unlike VTEC.
I'm not debating the statements about the race but your comments about facts are far from that...

A 6-Speed CL has nearly the same gearing as the 350Z and when tire/wheel ratios are considered the CL-S6 has shorter gearing. But with that considered, say they have the same gearing; the CL-S6 has more revs to play with so it can hold the lower gear longer. But in fact, they shift at nearly the same speeds, within reason.

The Z does have more power, but NOT BETTER GEARING, it does have less drag and less weight. One thing you forgot was that it also has a lower redline and makes its peak torque closer to the peak HP.

The VTC is simply Valve Timing Control similar to BMW's VANOS or Toyota's VVTi. It simply alters the valve timing but does nothing for lift and duration. VTEC alters lift and duration by changing cam lobes at a preset RPM. Although this is not infinite in variable timing, it does significantly alter lift and duration which normally plays a more important factor than valve timing.

So no, VTC does not vary lift, you are misinformed or blatantly lied to bolster your case; either way you were incorrect in your statements from the beginning to the end. You come to this forum with an obvious statement of mistrust, your screen name, and then cannot make even remotely accurate statements. That is truly pathetic.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:22 PM
1 Phat CL !

i have done this before too, close race though.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
time to change the user text to "official glue sniffer"

Old 01-29-2003, 01:36 AM
Official BS Sniffer

Originally posted by scalbert
I'm not debating the statements about the race but your comments about facts are far from that...

A 6-Speed CL has nearly the same gearing as the 350Z and when tire/wheel ratios are considered the CL-S6 has shorter gearing. But with that considered, say they have the same gearing; the CL-S6 has more revs to play with so it can hold the lower gear longer. But in fact, they shift at nearly the same speeds, within reason.

The Z does have more power, but NOT BETTER GEARING, it does have less drag and less weight. One thing you forgot was that it also has a lower redline and makes its peak torque closer to the peak HP.

The VTC is simply Valve Timing Control similar to BMW's VANOS or Toyota's VVTi. It simply alters the valve timing but does nothing for lift and duration. VTEC alters lift and duration by changing cam lobes at a preset RPM. Although this is not infinite in variable timing, it does significantly alter lift and duration which normally plays a more important factor than valve timing.

So no, VTC does not vary lift, you are misinformed or blatantly lied to bolster your case; either way you were incorrect in your statements from the beginning to the end. You come to this forum with an obvious statement of mistrust, your screen name, and then cannot make even remotely accurate statements. That is truly pathetic.
How about I give you a spoon so you can eat my ass.

You are PATHETIC...not me. I ACCIDENTLY typed lift in addition to timing...big f'n whoop. As for gearing...you need to check out what I said again. I said the Z has BETTER gearing...not shorter or longer...better gearing that matches the power of the engine more, but you'll probably disagree since the CL-S is a race car and geared as such

And how was I incorrect with my statements from beginning to end????? I stated that the Z is lighter than the CL-S...which it is. I also stated that it has more power, which it does. Finally I stated that is has less drag, which is also coiencidently true. Hmmmm...I guess I was wrong with everything I said.

Now that we've gotten through that, seems to me that I made ONE typo...and I get called PATHETIC for it.

As for my name, it was a joke with your "well respected":shakehd: member Russ a while back, and I haven't had the time or inclination to change it. :sqntfawk:
Old 01-29-2003, 01:39 AM
Official BS Sniffer

Originally posted by mattg
time to change the user text to "official glue sniffer"

As for you....I thought we were starting to get along?
Old 01-29-2003, 06:26 AM
Suzuka Master

You are PATHETIC...not me. I ACCIDENTLY typed lift in addition to timing...big f'n whoop. As for gearing...you need to check out what I said again. I said the Z has BETTER gearing...not shorter or longer...better gearing that matches the power of the engine more, but you'll probably disagree since the CL-S is a race car and geared as such

And how was I incorrect with my statements from beginning to end????? I stated that the Z is lighter than the CL-S...which it is. I also stated that it has more power, which it does. Finally I stated that is has less drag, which is also coiencidently true. Hmmmm...I guess I was wrong with everything I said.
A typo is generally a misspelling, you made an incorrect statement. Your fingers slipped and you accidentally typed lift?? Come on, that is pathetic... You were intentionally trying to mislead. VTC is not more advanced but you tried to bolster your statement by adding lift control into it. Do not take us all for idiots.

Please define how the 350Z has better gearing then since you were not talking about how short it is?? A broad statement is easy, let’s get into details. Compare how the ratios are better suited to the power band because IMO, longer gears might have been better.

I never stated the CL-S6 was a race car nor do I feel it is one. This was a simple comparison about two non-market competing vehicles which incorrect information was presented. Do not try to divert the topic as it was originally heading.

It was a stretch to state the entire topic was incorrect, whoops that must have been a typo. But two major points were incorrect and intended to mislead. I also agreed with the points made about weight and drag, those were correct and documented.

So, how am I pathetic?? Maybe I am pathetic about many things, but I do not come to a forum and post knowingly false statement. Oh, and that eat your ass statement is sad, we are adults here and I do not care for the juvenile statements.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:28 AM
Suzuka Master

As for my name, it was a joke with your "well respected":shakehd: member Russ a while back, and I haven't had the time or inclination to change it. :sqntfawk:
That is irrelevant to me, and I assume almost one year is not enough time??
Old 01-29-2003, 08:36 AM
Suzuka Master

May I point out that the Z vs CL-S 6 speed gearing had been discussed in a previous thread. The Z had better gearing...

Back on topic....The guy who originally posted this kill is a liar.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:08 AM
Instructor

What is the spec of this CL-S that supposely beat a 350Z? I've owned a CL-S (5Auto) and test drove a 350Z, the 350Z PULLS HARD all the way up to it's limit. Actually, I had to stop at around 140 because of traffic.

Again, please list the specs on this CL-S. Thanks.

Old 01-29-2003, 10:09 AM
Official BS Sniffer

Originally posted by scalbert
A typo is generally a misspelling, you made an incorrect statement. Your fingers slipped and you accidentally typed lift?? Come on, that is pathetic... You were intentionally trying to mislead. VTC is not more advanced but you tried to bolster your statement by adding lift control into it. Do not take us all for idiots.

Please define how the 350Z has better gearing then since you were not talking about how short it is?? A broad statement is easy, let’s get into details. Compare how the ratios are better suited to the power band because IMO, longer gears might have been better.

I never stated the CL-S6 was a race car nor do I feel it is one. This was a simple comparison about two non-market competing vehicles which incorrect information was presented. Do not try to divert the topic as it was originally heading.

It was a stretch to state the entire topic was incorrect, whoops that must have been a typo. But two major points were incorrect and intended to mislead. I also agreed with the points made about weight and drag, those were correct and documented.

So, how am I pathetic?? Maybe I am pathetic about many things, but I do not come to a forum and post knowingly false statement. Oh, and that eat your ass statement is sad, we are adults here and I do not care for the juvenile statements.
blah blah blah...I'm not going to sit here and waste my time explaining gear ratios vs. power curve. Have a nice day.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:37 AM
GTP

You gotta love how "TypeSKiller" decides that he is finished with this thread and no longer has anything to say after "scalbert" calls him out and asks him to clarify his statements. That my friends, is truly pathetic.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:45 AM
Official BS Sniffer

Originally posted by Guf0923
You gotta love how "TypeSKiller" decides that he is finished with this thread and no longer has anything to say after "scalbert" calls him out and asks him to clarify his statements. That my friends, is truly pathetic.
May I point out that Maximized already explained where you can find a comparison of the gear ratios. If you're too dumb to actually read, it's not my fault. Why should I waste my time with a 2 page long post when it's already been discussed in detail?
Old 01-29-2003, 11:08 AM
Racer

there is some great info here so please keep it civilized so i dont have to close it. thanks
Old 01-29-2003, 04:23 PM
Suzuka Master

blah blah blah...I'm not going to sit here and waste my time explaining gear ratios vs. power curve. Have a nice day.
That is fine, if you would like to leave it like this then so be it. And thanks, I did have a nice day although the weather wasn't great.
Old 01-29-2003, 04:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Maximized
May I point out that the Z vs CL-S 6 speed gearing had been discussed in a previous thread. The Z had better gearing...
I must have missed that thread. But first let me add that the Z is an all out better performing vehicle, which is not the debate. We singled out certain aspects and that is what we are discussing.

With that said, lets look at this over again. The Z has slightly shorter overall gearing but is slightly offset by the CL-S6 having a smaller circumference wheel/tire combo. So the final gearing would be very close between the two. But the CL-S6 has about 500 more revs to play with allowing it to hold a lower gear a little longer.

The Z's wheel torque curve is greater without a doubt but drops off sooner. Also, the wheel rating is not as large of a margin difference as the crank ratings including percentages. It also has less weight to pull around. Through the first three gears the Z should out accelerate a CL-S6 except when above 6k revs where the CL-S6 might start gaining a little, but once the shift comes the Z is pulling again.

The way I see it, both are using almost ideal gearing for each car. Both shift just before redline and drop down to around the peak torque. That is the way you would want it. So IMO, both have great gearing for their respective engines so how does that make one vehicles gearing better than the other??
Old 01-29-2003, 05:08 PM

Dude, you forgot when VTEC kicks in, it is equivilent to 2 turbos. You can't lose with VTEC kicking in.

I think the race is a toss up until higher speeds and the 3.5 V-6 will overtake the 3.2. 2 Things, CD (drag) and you have not one but 2 overdrive gears.
I am not saying the Z is that much faster. 0-60 in 5.5-5.6 seconds in a manual sports car is not that impressive anymore. An auto Z is quite possibly a 6 sec car. Which means, we all can take it out.

Until they TT that car
Old 01-30-2003, 12:59 PM
10th Gear

Kinda of surprised. Getting on the 101 here in Scottsdale. New 350z in the inside on ramp, 1st car. I'm on the outside lane of on ramp, 1st car. I'm thinking "what the hell, if he gets on it so will I". I'm not one of these idiots that thinks the CLS is the fastest, best car ever, b/c it is not. It is a good car that does alot well. Anyway, I knew I'm already giving up the inside. Light goes green, I hung on his outside shoulder aroung the turn, he saw me as we straightened up down the ramp and he floored it. I punched it about the same time. Dead even all the way down the ramp until we merged at about 80mph. I think it was an auto, I didn't see the rear end squat with each shift. For his sake I hope it was an auto. That just makes it more fair. He is still lighter with more HP. And yes he had it floored. I can't imagine him giving it 4/5ths gas pedal just to stay even with me. We both knew it was on. Now I can't wait to race an auto G35 coupe. I've lost to V8 formula trans am 4cars to 80mph, then kind of hung with him until 100, then let up (knew I would lose but was I curious). Never lost to a Civic ( yes there are faster ones), beat a max with a sticker on the back that said "www.speedproducts.com" he talked smack before the race, wouldn't look over after. Got beat by my Dad's 03 S500 Mercedes. That car is underrated for speed. Barely, barely beat an old Olds station wagon(60s or early 70s) on another on ramp. Maybe he had a 455 under the hood. Gotta respect that.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:08 PM
Official Lexus Wrecker

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Dude, you forgot when VTEC kicks in, it is equivilent to 2 turbos. You can't lose with VTEC kicking in.

I think the race is a toss up until higher speeds and the 3.5 V-6 will overtake the 3.2. 2 Things, CD (drag) and you have not one but 2 overdrive gears.
I am not saying the Z is that much faster. 0-60 in 5.5-5.6 seconds in a manual sports car is not that impressive anymore. An auto Z is quite possibly a 6 sec car. Which means, we all can take it out.

Until they TT that car
sick, i challenge you. you have been officially called out lets meet in mississippi.......

Doc

Old 01-30-2003, 08:26 PM
Pro

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX

That was actually pretty damn funny!

Still trying to lease a GS430...but refuse to pay anything close to $700 at the moment.
Old 01-30-2003, 10:39 PM
1st Gear

Not a chance u ran with that 350z. Maybe nex time u should stick to a story about killing a Mini or a non turbo beetle. You know, something that someone who doesnt own a honda might believe.
Old 01-30-2003, 10:46 PM
Official BS Sniffer

Originally posted by VTECis4pussies
Not a chance u ran with that 350z. Maybe nex time u should stick to a story about killing a Mini or a non turbo beetle. You know, something that someone who doesnt own a honda might believe.
Old 01-31-2003, 12:16 AM

sick, i challenge you. you have been officially called out lets meet in mississippi.......
, I got mad people in Jackson. HOLLA!

Quick Reply: I Beat a 350z