how many lbs. should I adjust my shocks to???

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2001, 07:21 PM
Need For Speed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how many lbs. should I adjust my shocks to???

I was asked by the bodyshop just now how many pounds I wanted my Koni shocks adjusted to. I really didn't know how to answer him. So I told him I wanted it set somewhere in the middle, not too tight, and not too loose. Does anyone who has Koni's know what's best for hanging street corners?
Old 08-17-2001, 08:00 PM
Instructor

Dude, I assume you got the Koni yellow's, congrats! Your setting should probably be set to 1/2 turn (after you reset them to zero) to give you the best combination of handling and comfort. One full turn is recommended for really stiff suspension -- like if you're under 35 years old. The stiffness of your springs (I've got H&R OE Sports) makes a difference also.

I'm over 50, still immature though, but I wanted good handling (see my sig) but not get beat to death, so I set my rear shocks to 3/8 and fronts to 1/2. But it's really up to you. I rode around for a week with my backseat out (that's how you get to the rears), constantly fooling with the adjustments before I achieved the tuned suspension I liked.

Have Fun!!!!!
Old 08-17-2001, 08:17 PM
Need For Speed

Originally posted by technoid:
<STRONG>Dude, I assume you got the Koni yellow's, congrats! Your setting should probably be set to 1/2 turn (after you reset them to zero) to give you the best combination of handling and comfort. One full turn is recommended for really stiff suspension -- like if you're under 35 years old. The stiffness of your springs (I've got H&R OE Sports) makes a difference also.

I'm over 50, still immature though, but I wanted good handling (see my sig) but not get beat to death, so I set my rear shocks to 3/8 and fronts to 1/2. But it's really up to you. I rode around for a week with my backseat out (that's how you get to the rears), constantly fooling with the adjustments before I achieved the tuned suspension I liked.

Have Fun!!!!! </STRONG>
Do you think turning 3/4 on all four sound good, or is that too stiff. I'm 24.
Old 08-18-2001, 11:53 AM
Instructor

I'd say, "Try it at 3/4!" Your car will most deinitely corner like it's on rails --if your cojones can handle the ride! Frankly, if I could tolerate it, I'd set mine closer to 3/4. The nice thing about our Koni's, is that you can set the shocks at any point you want in-between 1/2 and 3/4 (like 5/8 of a turn). BTW, some guyz recommend setting the rears a little different than the fronts to correct understeer or oversteer problems. However, I'd suggest that you fool with the settings a bit before you decide for good. Let me know what settings you finally chose and how you like your ride.

[ 08-19-2001: Message edited by: technoid ]
Old 08-20-2001, 06:33 PM
Need For Speed

Originally posted by technoid:
<STRONG>I'd say, "Try it at 3/4!" Your car will most deinitely corner like it's on rails --if your cojones can handle the ride! Frankly, if I could tolerate it, I'd set mine closer to 3/4. The nice thing about our Koni's, is that you can set the shocks at any point you want in-between 1/2 and 3/4 (like 5/8 of a turn). BTW, some guyz recommend setting the rears a little different than the fronts to correct understeer or oversteer problems. However, I'd suggest that you fool with the settings a bit before you decide for good. Let me know what settings you finally chose and how you like your ride.

[ 08-19-2001: Message edited by: technoid ]</STRONG>
Hey technoid,
Got this info from Juniorbean. Tell me this isn't true. I have these on order. . .
Notes on Koni Yellow shocks
Some notes:
They are not height adjustable on the CL without smashing the metal above them.
Likewise, you can not lower your car with these shocks.
Fronts can be adjusted by opening the hood
Rears require back seat removal for adjustment
Old 08-20-2001, 06:48 PM
My other car is a 350Z

It's true that there is no adjustment for height on the Koni yellows. The adjustment is strictly for rebound stiffness/softness.
Old 08-20-2001, 07:41 PM
Need For Speed

Originally posted by H4mm3rm4n:
<STRONG>It's true that there is no adjustment for height on the Koni yellows. The adjustment is strictly for rebound stiffness/softness.</STRONG>
Thanks for the info!!!!!
Old 08-21-2001, 01:42 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by H4mm3rm4n:

It's true that there is no adjustment for height on the Koni yellows. The adjustment is strictly for rebound stiffness/softness.
Welll, you're sorta keereckt, but not exactly. As we all agree, you can adjust the stiffness/softness anytime you want AFTER the Koni's are installed on your car. However, at the time of installation, you can lower your car a bit. According to the Koni instructions, you can set the height of the "perch" (where the bottom of your spring sits) to a slightly lower position than the original Koni factory setting. However, unlike the stiffness adjustment, once your shocks go on the car, the "height" setting is final. I'm not sure about this "smashing of the metal" stuff.

Other factoids (from Juniorbean):

Fronts can be adjusted by opening the hood -- absolutely true (piece-o-cake)

Rears require back seat removal for adjustment - true, so leave your back seat out until you're happy with your settings, and then re-install it. It takes only 10-15 minutes.)

[ 08-20-2001: Message edited by: technoid ]