how many hours to install supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003 | 05:32 AM
Pro

how many hours to install supercharger?

just wanted to know guys whats reasonable.one dealer told me no longer than 10 hours.i mean at 90.00 an hour labor holy moly that 900.00 for install.do you guys think thats 2 much?how long should it take?
Old 02-05-2003 | 05:57 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

damn it... $90/hr... I should quit my job and be a Mech.
Old 02-05-2003 | 06:24 AM
Pro

i cant believe that after spending that much money on a fu####n supercharger you have to pay another 900 to install the damm thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-05-2003 | 12:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

I don't understand why a person would even consider putting a SC into a car like this when a tranny can barely hold itself with the power of a stock engine is providing. Putting a SC in would almost guarrantee a blown tranny (and void your warranty, or at least your service dept will give you some crazy fuzz about it and possibly ask you to pay for the cost of a tranny replacement ... they'll blame it on a SC). Unless of course, you have 6 speeds MT or soemthing which I hope will last a little better than this crappy AT. Even if you have a MT, you would probably need to change out to a stronger clutch and add another fuel management system (stock is not deliv. enough fuel...you get to know the meaning of a word "detonation" real well.) and have to dyno tune your car...trust me, I've been there done that with my turbo integra awhile back. Will cost you a hell lot more than the initial cost of the SC and installation if you're doing it right. If you don't believe me, go ahead and install it...after a year or so, come back and tell me if I'm wrong.
PS. Comptech/Jackson Racing will claim hp increase is XXX...it will not be XXX but definately will be a lot less than XXX. They'll say their SC is designed to run with stock engine and such...BS !! Yes, I ran turbo before but I have 3 friends who went with Comptech and JR route...all ended up with much more $$$ than expected.
Old 02-05-2003 | 03:46 PM
Safety Car

I was quoted a grand.
Old 02-05-2003 | 03:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: how many hours to install supercharger?

Originally posted by types1967
just wanted to know guys whats reasonable.one dealer told me no longer than 10 hours.i mean at 90.00 an hour labor holy moly that 900.00 for install.do you guys think thats 2 much?how long should it take?
i believe that is the going rate

but if you can find someone who will do it for 500 bucks now that will be a steal!

sidemarker
Old 02-05-2003 | 04:18 PM
Suzuka Master

I quoted myself $0 but a case of beer will be required...

I'll have some exact number in about a week or so but by the looks of it it should be about ten hours.
Old 02-05-2003 | 04:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by randomwalk101
and add another fuel management system (stock is not deliv. enough fuel...you get to know the meaning of a word "detonation" real well.)

and have to dyno tune your car...trust me, I've been there done that with my turbo integra awhile back.
The Comptech kit includes a new fuel pump and rising rate FPR tuned for the kit.

I have also been there installing kits, both good and bad, and understand what you are saying. The good one's tend to be complete and well planned out with little to no tuning required. I'll reserve judgement on this kit when I install late next week but if history serves as a judge for Comptech supplied items, it should work out of the box.
Old 02-05-2003 | 04:24 PM
Racer

One performance shop in my area that I would trust with the install of this magnitude quoted me $750. I dont even want to go to the dealers to get the quote, b/c I know those motherfokers would void the warranty as soon as they see the s/c....
With the cost of $5000 plus another $750 to take take it out later on, I've decided not to even consider the possibility of S/C.
My baloon is up in a year, these 6G's will go towards the purchase
of a new ride....perhaps one that wont be blowing the tranny
every time....
Old 02-05-2003 | 05:17 PM

I have tools!!! I would like to help, but I live in Cali, sorry. (I'm a recently "dislocated" mechanic from the airlines,=unemployed I sure would enjoy doing some installs though, anyway like CLS-D wrote, yeah I would hold out for $750.
Old 02-05-2003 | 05:23 PM
Banned

Originally posted by randomwalk101
I don't understand why a person would even consider putting a SC into a car like this when a tranny can barely hold itself with the power of a stock engine is providing. Putting a SC in would almost guarrantee a blown tranny (and void your warranty, or at least your service dept will give you some crazy fuzz about it and possibly ask you to pay for the cost of a tranny replacement ... they'll blame it on a SC). Unless of course, you have 6 speeds MT or soemthing which I hope will last a little better than this crappy AT. Even if you have a MT, you would probably need to change out to a stronger clutch and add another fuel management system (stock is not deliv. enough fuel...you get to know the meaning of a word "detonation" real well.) and have to dyno tune your car...trust me, I've been there done that with my turbo integra awhile back. Will cost you a hell lot more than the initial cost of the SC and installation if you're doing it right. If you don't believe me, go ahead and install it...after a year or so, come back and tell me if I'm wrong.

i dont think that the S/C makes a difference on the auto tranny, the auto tranny is a peice of shit regardless....i think most dealers would be cool enough to honor the transmission warranty regardless of the supercharger, everyone knows, and acura has sort-of addmitted that it is shit by giving us the free extended warranty....i know for a fact my dealer would honor my tranny if i go the S/C and the tranny broke...im assuming some other members can sweet talk this deal as well. if i ever could afford the S/C, id do it in a heartbeat because i know that my tranny will break anyways, and that my dealer will fix it regardless
Old 02-05-2003 | 05:26 PM
Banned

guys, if you were willing to come to milwaukee to get it done, i have a good freind that is a ASE certified master mechanic, he does all the work on my car, he works at a saturn dealership....he has all the tools and can do it at the saturn dealer, he would definately charge less than 500 for the install....any of you chicago guys, let me know if you get a S/C, i will definately be able to work this out for you.

just for reference, he typically charges freinds and realitives 25 bucks per hour for labor....at 10 hours, that would only be 250 bucks for the install, he would probably do it for about that...maybe slightly more...

i am hoping this installation hook up may encourage some of you members in chicago to get the supercharger, knowin you wont be paying anywhere near 1000 for install. let me know if anyone wants to take me up on this
Old 02-05-2003 | 06:05 PM
Safety Car

I'll install it for $650 if you live in Cali. Just leave the car over a weekend... cuz I ain't spending 10 straight hours

It's not too bad. I did the fuel-pump and FPR install and that takes like 2 hours. The battery, intake etc. should take another 2 hours. The alternator and actual S/C install will take some time!

On the auto... I'd say $850 cuz you have to install the tranny-cooler as well!