Here we go again with the public complaining about the brightness of our HID's!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002 | 11:49 AM
Instructor

Here we go again with the public complaining about the brightness of our HID's!

what do you think?

I say educate the public that when driving at night you "DO NOT" look into the oncoming cars headlights. You should keep your eyes on the road in front of you.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...complaints.htm
Old 05-06-2002 | 12:00 PM
Instructor

I think some people are just jealous that they don't have them on their car. And that they can't afford the cars that have them.
Old 05-06-2002 | 12:11 PM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

I just registered with them and posted my POSITIVE comment for HIDs!
Old 05-06-2002 | 12:12 PM

then we should also ban any headlights on trucks and big suv's, when those things are behind you there lights are at eye level that is more blinding than oncoming HID's
Old 05-06-2002 | 12:17 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Maybe we should ban lighting altogether.

I think the cure is as simple as Ahoooo said - just don't look at the oncoming headlights.
Old 05-06-2002 | 12:22 PM
Darth Tator

HIDs should be brighter!!
Old 05-06-2002 | 12:23 PM
Team Owner

I know some of you guys LOVE your aftermarket BLUE exterior bulbs, but I believe the AFTERMARKET items are what give the bad perception of our factory Xenon’s.

I see lots of older 80’s cars running around here with BRIGHT BLUE headlights & signals.
They have those “Off road only” bulbs GLARING in your eyes.
Uninformed people see those and assume ALL “bluish” headlights are bad.

It’s the same thing with window tint.
You get some YAHOO that puts 5% on his side windows and then can’t see SHIT.
He pulls out in front of traffic at night and kills 5 people and they blame ALL tints and make it illegal.

Shawn S
Old 05-06-2002 | 12:35 PM
Instructor

Maybe we should ban lighting altogether.
Think of how many more good looking girls would be out there!!!

You guys all said every thought that came to my mind when reading this...when I used to do something f-ed up and I told my dad that it hurt, he said "well than don't do that"....so I say...if you keep getting blinded by the light, STOP STARING AT IT YOU DUMB SONUVA BITCH!!!

I think we should follow buster and tell them how much we love having HID's...be sure to mention the fact that you love blinding people!!!
Old 05-06-2002 | 12:51 PM
Instructor

HID headlights are a hazzard on the highway.The use of them borders on criminal,especially in combination with fog lights.Many arragunt drivers use the lights as a sign of their snobery.please change your approval to ban them.When some come up from behind, they are just as dangerous.
Well guys, we are all snobby, arragunt, criminals...you would hope they would throw out this guys complaint based on the simple fact that he cannot spell the word arrogant.

This was a quote of the most recent complaint. I read a few of them...some are downright hilarious...
Old 05-06-2002 | 01:08 PM
Race Director

I for one get people flashing their high beams at me all the time on back roads. I think people automatically assume they are high beams because they look different/brighter, but they definitely don't have the same blinding effect as high beams. I bet it's mostly older women registering these complaints; theyre always looking for something to bitch about to someone cus they have nothing else to do. Most of em can barely drive to begin with and then when some relatively bright lights come along they wig the fuck out.
Old 05-06-2002 | 02:39 PM
I'd rather be golfing

I get flashed at least once or twice a day going home from work...now that I look at what I just wrote that wouldn't be that bad if they were girls
Old 05-06-2002 | 03:19 PM
Pro

Since we have HIDs, our cars are grouped with the problem cars. Cars with small headlight lenses like the audi TT especially are blinding at certain angles. No offense to audi guys. I've never had a problem with the Acuras I meet.

Maybe the problem is the combination of HIDs and DOT lense pattern. If cars used the Euro lense pattern maybe the only compliants will come from the deer trying to cross the road.

"1800 compliants" out of how many cars with HIDS is not an excuse to ban HIDs. What's next: the floresent lights in a 24/7 Walmart is too bright
Old 05-06-2002 | 03:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Shawn S
I know some of you guys LOVE your aftermarket BLUE exterior bulbs, but I believe the AFTERMARKET items are what give the bad perception of our factory Xenon’s.

I see lots of older 80’s cars running around here with BRIGHT BLUE headlights & signals.
They have those “Off road only” bulbs GLARING in your eyes.
Uninformed people see those and assume ALL “bluish” headlights are bad.

It’s the same thing with window tint.
You get some YAHOO that puts 5% on his side windows and then can’t see SHIT.
He pulls out in front of traffic at night and kills 5 people and they blame ALL tints and make it illegal.

Shawn S
I agree with you Shawn S I think it maybe the fake bulbs that people have. We all know that people tamper with the headlights on thier cars. I am pretty sure that they don't take the time to aim them or do they care. This topic comes up at least 5 times a year. I look away from the headlights as you should do when they get closer.. I think most people just stare at them & they get blinded. I am also going to post my comments in the USA Today section for HID Lights.
Old 05-06-2002 | 03:42 PM
Instructor

I think I'll upgrade my CL-S Stage 1 HID's to Stage 2 running at 6000k before they ban takes effect. Maybe I'll throw in some Stage 2 High Beams to boot.

http://www.hids4less.com/
Old 05-06-2002 | 05:01 PM
Old timer

I love the idiot poll they have on their site: "Which is more dangerous." Depends on the circumstances, asshole.

And this is dumb- if anything HID owners should complain that the headlight beams don't light up enough roadway in the distance because they have to be pointing at the ground right in front of the car otherwise they blind oncoming traffic. Essentially we're all screwed - we're either blinded or we can't see far enough ahead to drive fast at night.

I may just adjust my headlights up a little so I can actually see down the road a bit. Especially since there are roads I hit 75-80mph on at night and the HID beam ends about 30feet in front of the car.
Old 05-06-2002 | 08:08 PM
go like hell

bottom line:
if they ain't bitchin' about something they ain't happy
Old 05-06-2002 | 08:28 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

I bet it was a bunch of old farts who complained about the HID's. Old fucks shouldn't even be out driving at night, they should be at home in bed.
Old 05-06-2002 | 08:45 PM
Burning Brakes

The poll is funny. About 11% of people would rather get hit by someone running a red light instead of seeing a car with HID's on the highway
Old 05-06-2002 | 08:48 PM
im back

The only HID i hate is on the audi A6, i fuckin hate those cuz they always seem to point right into my eyes, but other than that no problems
Old 05-06-2002 | 09:10 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by fast_daddy_car
The poll is funny. About 11% of people would rather get hit by someone running a red light instead of seeing a car with HID's on the highway
Those are the 11% of people who are too fucking stupid to be allowed to vote. They either:

*read the question wrong
*read the question right but decided to answer an imaginary question they created in their mind
*compulsively chose an answer without reading the question
*thought you had to choose something to continue reading down the page (computer idiocy... the lower end of computer illiteracy.)
Old 05-06-2002 | 11:19 PM
Suzuka Master

The sun's pretty damn bright too...that's why I don't stare at it.
Old 05-07-2002 | 12:05 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Mabye they should make the auto leveling be a requirement for HIDs in new vehicles?

I dunno...

Ya, people just bitch to bitch about something. I don't get it.
Old 05-07-2002 | 01:27 AM
Banned

The way I figure...if I mod my car enough...especially with stickers...I'll be able to drive faster than the speed of light...so my headlights will actually shine behind me...no more worries for those poor little jacked up pickup truck drivers in front of me with 12 hella halogens glaring down on the people in front of them...

Austin519
Old 05-07-2002 | 02:12 AM
Race Director

this thread makes me wanna get the 6k lights...
Old 05-07-2002 | 02:57 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by zeroday
I I bet it's mostly older women registering these complaints....Most of em can barely drive to begin with and then when some relatively bright lights come along they wig the fuck out.
:-*
Old 05-07-2002 | 04:49 AM
Suzuka Master

I love these quotes:

'The high-intensity lamps should be banned from the roads," said Charles Draper of Seattle. They "allow the owner of the (HID-lighted) vehicle to see better," but he says they cause undue risk by blinding other drivers.

Cynthia Kruse of Merritt Island, Fla., summed up many anti-HID light comments: "The HID headlights should be banned. They are entirely too bright."

AND one of many responses:

Chris Kersting, executive vice president of the Specialty Equipment Market Association in Los Angeles, says most of the complaints occur because HID lights are different and catch the attention of oncoming drivers.
Then the drivers get blinded, as they do when looking directly into any headlights,
Kersting said. Once people get used to them, the complaints will go away, he predicted.

I wonder if they would prefer that we all drive with headlights off -- no glare, only pain (from crashing into everything and running their little dog over...)

I've had more trouble with out-to-lunch drivers of older shit wagons driving with lamps aimed by "Stevie Wonder" (I love that cross-eyed headlamp look).

Here is the only solution that will make everyone happy. Get rid of headlights and equip all cars with "The Terminator" or 360-degree HUDS (no headlights required).

Old 05-07-2002 | 07:30 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by CLUofI
then we should also ban any headlights on trucks and big suv's, when those things are behind you there lights are at eye level that is more blinding than oncoming HID's

I couldn't agree more. Before the government is goes after HID's, they out to have these "Urban Assault Vehicles" headlights lowered. I feel like Richard Dreyfuss in "Close Encounters" whenever an SUV/ truck pulls up behind me.
Old 05-07-2002 | 08:50 AM
Stealthy A-CL Member

Originally posted by danny25
The sun's pretty damn bright too...that's why I don't stare at it.
Maybe we should all write to NHTSA asking them to ban the sun. Hmph....

'The sun should be banned from the roads," said Charles Draper of Seattle. It "allows the owner of the vehicle to see better," but he says it causes undue risk by blinding other drivers.

Cynthia Kruse of Merritt Island, Fla., summed up many anti-sunl comments: "The sun should be banned. It is entirely too bright."
Old 05-07-2002 | 11:33 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Originally posted by IntegraVT

Maybe we should all write to NHTSA asking them to ban the sun. Hmph....

'The sun should be banned from the roads," said Charles Draper of Seattle. It "allows the owner of the vehicle to see better," but he says it causes undue risk by blinding other drivers.

Cynthia Kruse of Merritt Island, Fla., summed up many anti-sunl comments: "The sun should be banned. It is entirely too bright."
Old 05-07-2002 | 01:02 PM
Banned

Interesting reading seeing the comments on this article here and comparing them to domestic sites I am on (who not surprisingly have an "anti-HID" majority in the comments)

I'll toss in my $.00002 though....

The HIDs do not bother me in stock applications, but there are some vehicles where the bulbs have been changed and not aligned properly where they are dangerous. It is not as simple as "don't look at the headlights" when they are aimed incorrectly.
Old 05-07-2002 | 01:09 PM
Safety Car

[QUOTE]Originally posted by EricL
I love these quotes:

AND one of many responses:

Chris Kersting, executive vice president of the Specialty Equipment Market Association in Los Angeles, says most of the complaints occur because HID lights are different and catch the attention of oncoming drivers.
Then the drivers get blinded, as they do when looking directly into any headlights....

<big>One of those great quote that make you want to say DUH </big>
Old 05-07-2002 | 01:48 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Originally posted by Pull_T
[B

The HIDs do not bother me in stock applications, but there are some vehicles where the bulbs have been changed and not aligned properly where they are dangerous. It is not as simple as "don't look at the headlights" when they are aimed incorrectly. [/B]
I can somewhat see your piont...fuckin ricers with aftermarket lights on a 92 Civic ruin it for everyone.
Old 05-07-2002 | 01:57 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by Black CL-S 4-Life

I can somewhat see your piont...fuckin ricers with aftermarket lights on a 92 Civic ruin it for everyone.

Or... someone who has a Passat and orders the Euro spec HID's... jerkoff don't forget to aim 'em And I don't mean aiming them on the barn door out back, get it done right!