Here is how your engine makes 260 HP from 3.2 liters

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2001, 11:40 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've glanced over this thread and two words come to mind...

"Who cares"

I liked the information about the 3.2L VTEC engine. Everything that has come after is a big waste of time.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S - San Marino Red / Parchment - #26519
non-nav - spoiler - wheel locks - splash guards - PIAA 19169s - K&N air filter (33-2178) - Zaino baby!
Pics of my car
Old 05-14-2001, 11:46 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by saabman4ever:
Hey, MORON, you wake up! What book are you reading now? Where did you get those numbers? Are you confusing a Viggen or convertible with what I posted? I have a 9-3 SE HOT (High-output Turbo). It's MSRP is $32,595. Check edmunds.com or saabusa.com. That's $32,595 loaded with leather (real leather),OnStar, 6 speaker system, in dash cd, traction control plus others too long to list. The only options are 4spd auto tranny, heated seats and metallic paint. You usually have your nose stuck in a magazine. I'm suprised you missed this one.

As for the force fed vs NA argument, I didn't know that argument existed. If you re-read my original post, I wasn't making any claims or bragging. I was asking a question.

Can everyone now see how gavrill has a knack for pissing people off with his condescending and eliteist attitude?

</font>

Saab loser, first of all, I did not call you any names till now which is after you did. Get your Saab and get to your Saabloser board OK?

For some reason, I thought you were driving a cabrio Saab SE. Sue me you ass. If you are not, then just say so, dont call names.

As for the fact that supposedly you are not aware that there is something called the "NA vs. Forced Fed" never ending argument, I suggest you start reading everything that happened since 1980 in the engine tech department. There is a lot of good info somewhere in there. Yeah it is in the books, the ones I read. The ones that people have to read before they have any chance getting a job at Acura. Not go to the track.

Finally, someone called you the unbiased voice or reason (I think it was Eclipse).

And I ask again. How can you carry the name Saabman4ever and be considered unbiased? Saab for ever? What kinda of a super biased narrow minded statement is that?

What is this? Saab gives you money or something?

------------------
Gabriel
CL Type S
Old 05-14-2001, 11:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TakeFlight:
I've glanced over this thread and two words come to mind...

"Who cares"

I liked the information about the 3.2L VTEC engine. Everything that has come after is a big waste of time.

</font>

Thank you sir. Could not have said it better myself.

------------------
Gabriel
CL Type S
Old 05-14-2001, 11:52 PM
Race Director

i saw this whole thread a couple nights ago and oowwaha~! thats a lot of reading! i said to myself..so i put it off for later...and now, it is 5 pages long, and i have no idea what you guys are talking about

i regret not following this thread, and saving for later...
can someone sum up what is going on in about 4 or 5 words?

thanks, i dont start school till sept. i dont want to do any hardcore reading till then...

------------------
2001 CL-S
Black/Black
Moonroof Visor
35% Tint All Around
Black Wood Dash Kit
Sportswing spoiler
My Bitch
aka Deadly-CLs
Old 05-14-2001, 11:56 PM
Rod
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by amirsafdari:
can someone sum up what is going on in about 4 or 5 words?
</font>
people
bored
at
work
Old 05-15-2001, 12:39 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gavriil:

Saab loser, first of all, I did not call you any names till now which is after you did. Get your Saab and get to your Saabloser board OK?

For some reason, I thought you were driving a cabrio Saab SE. Sue me you ass. If you are not, then just say so, dont call names.

As for the fact that supposedly you are not aware that there is something called the "NA vs. Forced Fed" never ending argument, I suggest you start reading everything that happened since 1980 in the engine tech department. There is a lot of good info somewhere in there. Yeah it is in the books, the ones I read. The ones that people have to read before they have any chance getting a job at Acura. Not go to the track.

Finally, someone called you the unbiased voice or reason (I think it was Eclipse).

And I ask again. How can you carry the name Saabman4ever and be considered unbiased? Saab for ever? What kinda of a super biased narrow minded statement is that?

</font>
M3sins and Gavrill I need you two to do me a favor, you both live close to each other:

*******(FOR GAVRILL'S EYES ONLY}***********
Please verify the width of M3Sin's front tire by placing your head even with the pavement and eyeing' it up.

********(FOR M3SIN'S EYES ONLY)************
Please get in your car, place the gear in first and MASH THE GAS.

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
CompTech Exhaust
Xephyr Cold Air Intake
Founding Member of the NO SCRATCHED RIMS CLUB

01'Acura Integra GSR
Old 05-15-2001, 03:31 AM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tom2:
Sure, plenty of them. But not directly, only as a subcontractor.

What are you getting at here?

</font>
<smile> A little defensive, aren't we?

------------------
2002 Acura TL-S
White Diamond Pearl/Parchment
Bone Stock
<A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1629963&a=12459969&f=0
" TARGET=_blank>Click Here for Pics!
</A>
Old 05-15-2001, 11:25 AM
Instructor

</font>
OK. I thought about not wasting my time with you, but my short tempered latino blood and my lower east side upbringing (manhattan, NY) could not pass up the opportunity.

Gavriil, I don't like you. You are a smug, unhappy little man and you think you have the right answer for everything. It's funny, at one point I was on your side. I enjoyed reading your posts. Really. But after reading more and more of your inane observations and reading the vitriolic replies to anyone who dare challenge what you say, it has helped me to realize what other members of this board were talking about in reference to you. You ASSumed what I was driving and made it a point to bash me based on that. As for being unbiased, I meant unbiased when talking about the BMW vs Acura discussion. I'll defend my choice of car against an ignoramus such as yourself when you make false or inaccurate statements about it.

As for reading "everything that's happened since the 1980's" about automotive engineering, I'll decline. You see, I have a life, something apparently you sorely lack. While your head is buried in piles of autoweek, C&D, Road & Track, and endless tapings of speedvision, I'll be out. Doing something.

------------------
2001 SAAB 9-3SE HOT

The UNBIASED voice of reason
Old 05-15-2001, 12:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

As for reading "everything that's happened since the 1980's" about automotive engineering, I'll decline. You see, I have a life, something apparently you sorely lack. While your head is buried in piles of autoweek, C&D, Road & Track, and endless tapings of speedvision, I'll be out. Doing something.

</font>
Just dont forget to take your Saab with you when you go out cos obviously you will be with it for ever.

People that name themselves "Saab for ever" are the ones with no life. You act like a cult member, "I'll die for Saab man....Saab RULES", etc. At least I have stated that the moment another auto manufacturer comes with a better deal in the luxury GT category...bye, bye Acura. If not, then here I will stay.

As for me thinking that you were driving a cabrio 9-3, I apologize for that. The Sebring convertible discussion I opened as an answer to your post must have threw me off. I should have apologized on my previous message.

------------------
Gabriel
CL Type S
Old 05-15-2001, 01:40 PM
Safety Car

All of a guys are too funny.

Gavrill, Eclipse, SaabMan, Tom2 you guys are trying to be such tough stuff online, and I would bet that no such aggresive behavior will exist in person. There is no way in hell you guys would go after each other like this in person, so I think the same curtesy should apply online. Dont talk smack, whats the point, facts only please. Although this is deffinetly entertaining, dont push this too far. Unbiased, biased, half-assed, WHO CARES?

Just enjoy.

------------------
---------------------
'01 CLS Satin Silver w/Black, Navi-less, spoiler,
Tint 15%, Polarqs M6s, Desired Mods: 18" Wheels/tires, Springs/Sways, CAI, subwoofer.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...513&a=12224080
The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers.
Old 05-15-2001, 01:43 PM
ACME sucks!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by eclipse23:
M3sins and Gavrill I need you two to do me a favor, you both live close to each other:

Please verify the width of M3Sin's front tire by placing your head even with the pavement and eyeing' it up.

</font>

Sounds like a great plan to me!!!

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi/No Spoiler
Competch springs
35% tint
PIAA 19169 bulbs
K&N 33-2178 air filter

The Aviation Zone
Old 05-15-2001, 01:46 PM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Big_Pimp's_Type_S:

Gavrill, Eclipse, SaabMan, Tom2 you guys are trying to be such tough stuff online, and I would bet that no such aggresive behavior will exist in person. There is no way in hell you guys would go after each other like this in person, so I think the same curtesy should apply online. Dont talk smack, whats the point, facts only please. Although this is deffinetly entertaining, dont push this too far. Unbiased, biased, half-assed, WHO CARES?

Just enjoy.

</font>
You're right, I'm not an agressive person. I don't think I've said anything that would give anyone that impression. I used civilized language (no swearing or really insulting words) and wit.

What? You gotta problem?? You wanna piece a'me?!!!!

------------------
2001 SAAB 9-3SE HOT

Old 05-15-2001, 01:49 PM
Intermediate

What was this about 260hp form 3.2L?
Old 05-15-2001, 01:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Just enjoy.

</font>
If I had Tom2, M3Sins, and Gavrill in front of me I would hope they were able to speak the same way in person. Unfortunately one of my biggest personality flaws IS saying what's on my mind. Most people don't like this. Good observation though many people do have a certain level of comfort on the internet because it is soo non-confrontational. I speak to everyone here as if (and I hope) that one day I meet you all. I don't regret or back off my comments or reserve them. Just ask RockDog, when me and him had beef we went off on each other here and then when we got on the phone we continued that rage, now were good friends, I respect people who stick to their guns. In person I doubt it would have been any different. BUT then again I have seen many people who talked shit about Xehphyr and then come NJ meet time had nothing to say so I agree with you BIG PIMP . As much as Tom2 and Gavrill piss me off sometimes I would not hesitate from meeting them, were all good people overall IMO.

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
CompTech Exhaust
Xephyr Cold Air Intake

01'Acura Integra GSR
Old 05-15-2001, 02:51 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TL_Type_S:
<smile> A little defensive, aren't we?

</font>
Nope. It's called "inquisitive".

If you want to know so much about my job, I just want to know why. That's not being defensive.

------------------
99 M3
dead CL-S

Tom2: The Voice Of Reason
Old 05-15-2001, 03:01 PM
Unregistered Member

Gavrill, Eclipse, SaabMan, Tom2 you guys are trying to be such tough stuff online, and I would bet that no such aggresive behavior will exist in person.
</font>
You'd be wrong to assume that we wouldn't act the same way face to face. I can't speak for the other guys, but I'm very outspoken in my "real" life. I'm also not the kind of guy to back down.

Am I a tough guy? No, not at all. Nobody on this forum has ever gotten me so angry that I wanted to smash their face. Actually, the only way to get me to that point is to threaten me or hit me first, then I'm a totally different person. I would hope that you are the same way in real life too.

That being said, I have nothing against gavriil, eclipse, Jayru or anyone else on this forum. Sure, gavriil buries his nose in the books, eclipse likes to be very argumentative with me and Jayru just likes to call me a BMW "prick". LOL, that's okay. I'm sure they're all good guys in "real" life.

If we didn't have all these different personalities on this board, it would be boring.

------------------
99 M3
dead CL-S

Old 05-15-2001, 03:03 PM
Unregistered Member

</font>

------------------
99 M3
dead CL-S

Old 05-15-2001, 03:05 PM
Old timer

Whoah looks like I've missed a big fight.

Everybody kiss and make up.

-J

------------------
2001 CL-S Aegean Blue/black interior spoiler, wheel locks, no-navi
Stock for now.
Old 05-15-2001, 03:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I agree. The nature of this thing called the internet amplifies this behavior. Which I see as an advantage though. People speak their mind at a much higher % than if they were face to face. Which sucks. Say whatever you want with no other issues in the middle obstructing expression. Then everyone knows what everyone else really thinks about things.

------------------
Gabriel
CL Type S
Old 05-15-2001, 03:18 PM
Pro

Why is this thread still continuing, there hasn't been a post related to the topic in like 100 posts.. people are just pis*ing back and forth at each other at this point and it is old (not getting old but is old).. thanks

------------------
2001 Silver CL-S
Old 05-15-2001, 03:19 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I cannot believe that this thread had more than 530 hits and almost 140 replies without anyone really saying anything of value about the real topic here which is our engine and all the good stuff I found. This really makes me reconsider if I should be posting anything at all here of value. You guys think ego is more important to this board than our cars and cars in general. Well...it is your choice.

------------------
Gabriel
CL Type S
Old 05-15-2001, 03:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Go Cubs fits right in to the subject of this topic ????
Old 05-15-2001, 03:31 PM
Unregistered Member

I cannot believe that this thread had more than 530 hits and almost 140 replies without anyone really saying anything of value about the real topic here which is our engine and all the good stuff I found. This really makes me reconsider if I should be posting anything at all here of value. You guys think ego is more important to this board than our cars and cars in general. Well...it is your choice.

</font>
Hey, this should obviously tell you something....

I kinda veered the subject off its original topic, but its not my fault that it stayed off topic.

Even though you post some good info occasionally, most people here don't really care to read it or comment on it. If I'm wrong, then you'd have many replies that do relate to the original topic.

Just like your post on the SS tranny-- none of the replies has anything to do with the original topic.

Sorry to say it, but you probably are wasting your time.

------------------
99 M3
dead CL-S

Old 05-15-2001, 03:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">You guys think ego is more important to this board than our cars and cars in general. Well...it is your choice.

[/B]</font>
And we can all tell you have been posting nothing but facts in this thread and no ego-driven posts

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
CompTech Exhaust
Xephyr Cold Air Intake

01'Acura Integra GSR
Old 05-15-2001, 03:39 PM
Instructor

And we can all tell you have been posting nothing but facts in this thread and no ego-driven posts

</font>

------------------
2001 SAAB 9-3SE HOT

Old 05-15-2001, 03:42 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Hey, this should obviously tell you something....

I kinda veered the subject off its original topic, but its not my fault that it stayed off topic.

Even though you post some good info occasionally, most people here don't really care to read it or comment on it. If I'm wrong, then you'd have many replies that do relate to the original topic.

Just like your post on the SS tranny-- none of the replies has anything to do with the original topic.

Sorry to say it, but you probably are wasting your time.

</font>
Hey Tom just mention how BMW is putting out a better SS and then call me, Saabman4ever and M3Sins an A-hole while your at it. I guarantee you'll get replies
------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
CompTech Exhaust
Xephyr Cold Air Intake

01'Acura Integra GSR

[This message has been edited by eclipse23 (edited 05-15-2001).]
Old 05-15-2001, 03:48 PM
Unregistered Member

eclipse,

Yeah, that'll definitely get some serious "hits"

Hey, even if this entire thread is off topic, I still vote it as one of the best threads of all time on this forum!

------------------
99 M3
dead CL-S

Old 05-15-2001, 03:48 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm an automotive engineer.

</font>
This is a pure question out of curiosity due to my part in the automotive manufacturing and testing world.

What specific area is an automotive engineered classified in. I know there are EE, IE, ME, Design, Production, Process, Quality, etc. engineers but where does a general automotive fall. Even in the above-mentioned categories these are even different, you may have a degreed ME who is also a Quality engineer.

If it gets into the design aspect this has a whole new group of categories, many MEs will get into powertrain development or similar but many not have a clue when it comes to engine controls which is probably handled by an EE.

This is an honest question, but what I would guess at is on the postproduction side. A step or two (maybe more) above the shop technician.
Old 05-15-2001, 03:50 PM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by scalbert:
This is a pure question out of curiosity due to my part in the automotive manufacturing and testing world.

What specific area is an automotive engineered classified in. I know there are EE, IE, ME, Design, Production, Process, Quality, etc. engineers but where does a general automotive fall. Even in the above-mentioned categories these are even different, you may have a degreed ME who is also a Quality engineer.

If it gets into the design aspect this has a whole new group of categories, many MEs will get into powertrain development or similar but many not have a clue when it comes to engine controls which is probably handled by an EE.

This is an honest question, but what I would guess at is on the postproduction side. A step or two (maybe more) above the shop technician.
</font>

Hey Tom, I think scalbert is calling you out! I sense a hint of skepticism in his post. Are you gonna take that?!

------------------
2001 SAAB 9-3SE HOT

Old 05-15-2001, 03:52 PM
Moderator Alumnus

The easy thing for me will be to stop posting this "occasionaly good info", trust me.

------------------
Gabriel
CL Type S
Old 05-15-2001, 03:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Hey Tom, I think scalbert is calling you out! I sense a hint of skepticism in his post. Are you gonna take that?!

</font>
Not intended to be skeptical, just curious. I'm CS but have been playing ME, EE and IE since high school and has become most of what I do.

Again, just curious as I enjoy most that is automotive starting from design through manufacturing to driving...
Old 05-15-2001, 04:06 PM
Unregistered Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by scalbert:

</font>
The problem is that anyone working as an automotive engineer probably has a background in ME. Most of my co-workers are mechanical engineers that are working on various automotive applications. In my opinion, there are really not any set standards. Seems to me that there are many different 'engineers' working in all phases of the auto industry.

I have a decent background in EE and ME and enjoy learning all aspects of the business. Others like to specialize in one particular area.

Also, you've really gotta have respect for the top auto techs. The good guys today have to know what an engineer had to know 15 years ago.

------------------
99 M3
dead CL-S

Old 05-15-2001, 04:08 PM
Intermediate

The 5 HP Briggs engine on my go-cart was the greatest engine of all time, end of discussion. When it broke down you just hit it with a big hammer to get it going again.

Just thought I would jump in, this is the longest thread I have ever seen.

------------------
2001 3.2CL type S
Silver/Black
Comptech springs
Comptech sways
Old 05-15-2001, 04:36 PM
Intermediate

Hey, I have a BSME but I work in automation not the automotive world.

------------------
2001 3.2CL type S
Silver/Black
Comptech springs
Comptech sways
Old 05-15-2001, 06:53 PM
Banned

I've got an idea...you should compare torque/liter too. That'll even out the comparison somewhat. Because 4 cylinders..make more power via revving higher..but still have low torque..as you add more cylinders..revs tend to drop , but torque tends to increase. A car isn't just hp...torque is a major component too, right!?!
If you took the time to read this thread from the start, you'd realize that it was NOT implies that there are a lot of 3.2L engines making 260 HP.

Did you ever think that there are not a ton a different 3.2L engines at all?

I don't want to beat this to death, but the only way to compare power output among engines is by horsepower per liter. If you need examples, scroll back and start reading.

</font>

------------------
2001 Cl-S Black on Black with Navigation
Black Tint all around (15%~45%)
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers (hehehe...I got something for you drchang!!)
Old 05-16-2001, 07:51 AM
Instructor

I also think that the rest of this topic is a bunch of BS. I don't know why you guys started a war. All Gavrill did was post some very good info on how our engines make 260hp. I think that you guys also need to stop flaming him for getting a lot of his info from books and magazines. I find some very useful information in these. I am not trying to start any flames, just letting you guys know how I feel.

------------------
White/Parchment CLS Spoiler,35% Tint, Gold emblems,Mudflaps,Moonroof Visor, Polarg M6
Old 05-16-2001, 01:24 PM
Moderator Alumnus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chizad1980:
I also think that the rest of this topic is a bunch of BS. I don't know why you guys started a war. All Gavrill did was post some very good info on how our engines make 260hp. I think that you guys also need to stop flaming him for getting a lot of his info from books and magazines. I find some very useful information in these. I am not trying to start any flames, just letting you guys know how I feel.

</font>
See it is people like you that make me reconsider abandoning this board.

------------------
Gabriel
CL Type S
Old 05-16-2001, 02:46 PM
Learn to swim.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hooch:
The 5 HP Briggs engine on my go-cart was the greatest engine of all time, end of discussion. When it broke down you just hit it with a big hammer to get it going again.

</font>
Ha, yes. Briggs and Stratton, I think I'm going to cry now....
Old 05-16-2001, 04:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Briggs&Stratton had nothing on my Eager-1 .. in my old Craftsman --> it was a solid four-cycle, 5.5 hp w/ RWD and shift on the fly speed adjust (w/ locking differential in the straightaways). You guys are smokin' crack if you think the B&S setup is the best one out there! Let's compare apples to apples people... jeeez

------------------
2002 Acura TL-S
Bone Stock
</A>
Old 05-16-2001, 04:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Nope. It's called "inquisitive".

If you want to know so much about my job, I just want to know why. That's not being defensive.

</font>
I don't care enough about it, thanks anyway.

------------------
2002 Acura TL-S
Bone Stock
</A>