Help..rubbing noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 01:23 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help..rubbing noise

Alright needing some mechanic's advice. I recently took a 200 mile trip...trip was all good smooth cruised about 80mph the whole time. I noticed yesterday though when going 40 I start hearing a clicking/rubbing noise that coordinates with my speed. When I cruise down to 10-15mph I hear it rubbing really good and sounds like its coming from the driver side front wheel/or front of car by the axle. Its not when I turn...even does it when I go straight so its not the CV joint. I know what your going to say its something rubbing on my rotor but I checked my rotors/pads/clips...and I don't see anything rubbing or touching my rotor. What could it be?...anybody else ever delt with this? Driving me nuts...and is pretty loud.
P.S. rotors and pads were changed less than 2 months ago.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:49 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,134 Likes on 1,094 Posts
Wheel bearing maybe? I had a metal on metal noise that drove me crazy after I put my slotted/drilled rotors on and it turned out to be a brake pad clip on the inside portion of the rotor that I couldn't see until I pulled the pads out, so if you're just inspecting the clips from the outside you might want to try that.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:09 PM
Pro

Thanks Super....I looked up some things and found this...."Wheel bearing noise is usually proportional to vehicle speed, and does not change when accelerating, coasting or decelerating" also said my abs light will come on if wheel speed sensor is reading erratically or the signal is lost...I don't have any ABS lights on at least yet. My noise changes with my speed...and even if I move a car length it will always rub twice.
Yea i just inspected real quick at lunch but I'm going to jack it up tonight and put it in neutral and rotate the wheel by hand to see if I can get the noise to happen. I might end up taking all the brakes/pads apart to see if I can find the culprit. I just hope it the brakes rubbing and not something more seriuous.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
wheel bearing noise will change pitch/sound with speed. I woulnt call it a rubbing noise though. more of a humming.

I would jack up the car and spin the tire and see if you can duplicate it. And inspect the liners that nothing is rubbing on the tire
Old 09-17-2007, 06:33 PM
Pro

Well I jacked up the car and spun the tire then took off the tire and rotated the rotor. Its def. not anything rubbing on the rotor or brakes. I couldn't get it to duplicate the same noise when spinning the tire or just rotor with my hand not as loud at least. I did hear a faint noise that sounded like it but it was inside where the wheel bearing would be. I figured it might not be as loud because there was no weight on it. As I was driving home from work (this was before I worked on it) it seemed to have gotten louder and worse...its kinda crazy because it almost sounds as if it is coming from more of the center of the car now rather than the driver side wheel. It vibrates really bad 10mph and lower. I was hoping to figure out what it is tonight but looks like I might have to take it to the stealership tomorrow unless I can figure out what it is before it gets really bad. I drove it after I took it all apart and again it is really bad. It is not a hum but a rub rub rub rub...when I'm driving and when I go below 10mph it feels like the whole front of the car vibrates slightly. In the back of my head I just hope its something to do with the tranny...(fingers crossed) but doubt it is ha ha.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:15 PM
Pro

alright....took the wife out to drive it really slow and let me walk next to it and it was loud. She then put it in reverse and still did it. It has to be the wheel bearing...I have the wheel off again and nothing is rubbing the tire/rim/brakes or anything.

fsttyms1 the noise slightly changes as I roll faster but its not a constant rub noise but at an interval....rub..rub...rub...and so on. It will get deaper as I go slower and slightly higher pitch as I roll faster. It almost sound as if it is coming from the wheel hub...could anything rub in there? I've never heard anything like this before.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:40 PM
Intermediate

Wild guess here: Speedometer Cable????
Old 09-17-2007, 10:48 PM
Pro

btwambat....huh? What do you mean?

Well I gave up...I can't figure it out...I've been in the garage all night inspecting the thing and all I know it is coming from the wheel hub somewhere. I don't know if its serious but I know I want to get it checked out before it becomes serious. If it is a wheel bearing thats a serious issue and I don't wanna lose a wheel going 60 mph. Wish me luck..I have an appointment with the stealership Wednesday at 8:00am so hopefully it holds together until then. Luckily I only drive 2 miles to work going 35 mph tomorrow.
Hopefully its an easy fix.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:46 AM
Pro

Pissed....two Dealerships In Columbus, Oh And Neither One Can Get Me In Until Monday 24th...stupid Sh*t....

And Yes I'm Yelling.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:43 PM
o1s
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
it's the wheelbearing. both of mine have done it. does it stop making noise when you turn?
it is a constant roar. sounds like a big mudtire going down the road and you can feel it in the pedals and maybe the steering wheel. jack the car up and see if you can shake the tire any. if it moves even a little bit, it is most likely a wheelbearing.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:29 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by o1s
it's the wheelbearing. both of mine have done it. does it stop making noise when you turn?
it is a constant roar. sounds like a big mudtire going down the road and you can feel it in the pedals and maybe the steering wheel. jack the car up and see if you can shake the tire any. if it moves even a little bit, it is most likely a wheelbearing.
only stops when I turn left...but actually gets louder when I turn right. ...mine is not a constant roar but a rub rub rub...that coincides with the wheel rotation but does it all the time. I can't feel it in the pedal or the steering wheel.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by btwombat
Wild guess here: Speedometer Cable????
No cable.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:00 PM
Senior Moderator

im also going to guess bearing. But just for grins have you tried rotating the tires to see if its not a tire causing the noise?
Old 09-18-2007, 09:17 PM
Pro

I just rotated them a couple weeks ago but didn't hear anything until a couple days ago so that would be weird if it just started to rub now ha. I will try that though as my last ditch effort before I take it to the stealership. Thanks!
Old 09-18-2007, 10:51 PM
o1s
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
you might end up needing balljoints at the same time.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:01 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
im also going to guess bearing. But just for grins have you tried rotating the tires to see if its not a tire causing the noise?
Well rotated the tires to see if that was it..and no luck....still same sound coming from the front driverside. Well guess I will have to wait until monday to find out what it is.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:26 PM
Pro

Heard Back From Acura!!!

Alright guys...just heard back from Acura they had my car at the shop all afternoon and 3 tech's working on it. Its NOT my wheel bearings. They checked all my wheel bearing and suspension on the whole car and said everything was fine. The noise they said is my rotors (power slot) and pads (green stuff). They said they just needed oiled. Which is really weird because I checked all that and took everything apart and couldn't get the noise to duplicate when I worked on it. Kinda reassuring knowing my wheel bearing's are fine and suspension but weird that its my rotor/pads.
Anybody else heard of that before?
Old 09-24-2007, 04:08 PM
Senior Moderator

slotted rotors are known to make noise but usually while braking. And what exactly did they oil?
Old 09-24-2007, 09:34 PM
Pro

Yea I've heard that before and I've heard mine make the noise while braking but this was doing it all the time. I don't know what they did but it is alot quieter now and I can't even hear it unless I stick my head out the window and listen very carefully. He said that they oiled the back of the pads (which I did when I put them on 3 months ago) but he said if you use wheel cleaner (which I do) it sometimes washes away the oil and the rotors and pads might start making noise. I thought that was kinda weird if that was it but I didn't say anything. I told a couple of guys at work who heard it and they couldn't believe that was the noise. Like I said though I picked it up this afternoon and it seems alot quieter so hey maybe that was it. Oh well whole situation was kinda weird if you ask me but as long as I got my car back I didn't care...and with the inspection and everything it only cost me $50 and I got to drive an 07 TSX all day. I like the TSX's and all the handling stock is awesome and the sound system is better than my car..but damn those things are slugs. I like the drive by wire but they need to upgrade to at least 240hp. My wife has a tsx but I don't drive it that much. I don't think I'm going to start either..ha ha. Thank you for the advice everyone I really appreciate it. I got lucky this time.