Help out an AUSTINITE!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 01:47 PM
Fell off my Rocking-Chair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help out an AUSTINITE!

Hey guys, i'm trying to add comptech SWAY BARS to my car... i called the dealership (david mcdavid ) for the price and they told me about $329 for the set, which isnt too bad really and comes to about to the same if i order it for less off the net (with s&h). But they told me $80 to have them installed.... PER BAR!

Its amazing how much they charge for such a simple process. And i would do it myself but i'm not exactly the handy-man like some guys here so i dont mind paying for someone installing them for me RIGHT.

Does anyone in AUSTIN know any place where its cheaper?????? I think $50-60 is a fair price to have BOTH of them installed, which runs around 30-45 mins.
Unless someone with a big heart and the know-hows wants to help me install them. Think of it as community service
Old 07-09-2002, 01:59 PM
trying to get a lil V-I

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
first of all you can get the sways delivered to your house for $280...talk to Deansbluesi or go here: http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...threadid=73636

that will save you a butt load of money so you can afford the install. And to be honest with you, the install is really not that hard. http://www.acura-tl.com/faq.htm#9c
Old 07-09-2002, 02:04 PM
Racer

chikai,

Thanks for the plug!!!

Dean
Old 07-09-2002, 02:10 PM
Banned

shaHn78:
Hey a fellow Austinite alright
I installed my sways myself really easily...check my website (www.acura-tl.org) and you'll see my DIY. I also wrote up an even better DIY if you need it. This is a simple 30 min install. Jyang411 (Jason) I'm sure wouldn't mind helping you...he's around and we've done a lot of our mods together. And last but not least if you can wait till late August I'll help you myself.

Email me if you have any Q's.

Austin519
p.s. - david mcdavid sucks donkey balls man...they wanted 200 to install SS lines. Don't EVER let them mod your car...DIY with Jyang411 and I.
Old 07-09-2002, 03:02 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
shaHn78:

I'd be willing to help you install them. And if you don't have a garage or the tools, we could do it at my place. Just shoot me an email.
Old 07-09-2002, 03:38 PM
Suzuka Master

im down to help too

sidemarker
Old 07-09-2002, 04:55 PM

WOW.. thanks u guys. The response is overwhelming, really.

But since we have more then enough guys willing to help out, how about u guys come over and install them for me while i watch :P

Jokes side...........

> > CHIKAI: Thanks for that link, i'll def. check it out and prob end up ordering it from there if its really that much cheaper

> > AUSTIN519: Mcdavid does suck.... since they're the only dealership in austin its no surprise they overcharge atleast $20-40 on everything. But HOPEFULLY that will all change once that new acura dealership on the motor mile opens

And i did check out those installation instructions @ tl.com and i know it doesnt seem that difficult but i just wanna be on the safe side... not being able to install swaybars may see a little :ghey: to some :o

& one last thing

i've always wanted to get some info on some of the stuff u got on ur car (like stereo and ESPECIALLY the SS brake line).... cos i gotta tell ya, the stock brakes are very pathetic in how they feel and almost embarrasing knowing cars half the cost of ours are heaps better!

> > ERICS, SIDEMARKER or JYANG: i will definetly PM one of u guys as soon as i get the bars!

THANKS AGAIN U GUYS!
Old 07-09-2002, 05:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by shaHn78
WOW.. thanks u guys. The response is overwhelming, really.

But since we have more then enough guys willing to help out, how about u guys come over and install them for me while i watch :P

Jokes side...........

> > CHIKAI: Thanks for that link, i'll def. check it out and prob end up ordering it from there if its really that much cheaper

> > AUSTIN519: Mcdavid does suck.... since they're the only dealership in austin its no surprise they overcharge atleast $20-40 on everything. But HOPEFULLY that will all change once that new acura dealership on the motor mile opens

And i did check out those installation instructions @ tl.com and i know it doesnt seem that difficult but i just wanna be on the safe side... not being able to install swaybars may see a little :ghey: to some :o

& one last thing

i've always wanted to get some info on some of the stuff u got on ur car (like stereo and ESPECIALLY the SS brake line).... cos i gotta tell ya, the stock brakes are very pathetic in how they feel and almost embarrasing knowing cars half the cost of ours are heaps better!

> > ERICS, SIDEMARKER or JYANG: i will definetly PM one of u guys as soon as i get the bars!

THANKS AGAIN U GUYS!
well i will not be avialiable this week cause im going out of town but any time next week or the week after that i can show up

if you get someone else to do the install, i still want to watch the install

sidemarker
Old 07-09-2002, 05:08 PM
toyota owner

hey, i want in on this too....oh wait...i have a lude
Old 07-09-2002, 05:52 PM
Banned

kuuligan:
You can still hang with us. Once Ron and I install the rest of my stereo stuff we're going to have a huge Austin, TX meet...I promise...I may even pay for drinks.

shaHn78:
Ah so you heard about the new dealership too eh? Yeah it'll be great for me since I'm on campus and won't have to drive so frickin far out...plus a new dealership you can make friends with the newbies. Tell me, have you heard of the completion date? I heard next summer...which is way too long for me.

The SS lines make a marked improvement...but I'm already itching for more...in terms of rotors and pads. I really badly want to upgrade. For a pretty inexpensive mod, the SS lines can't be beat...but for serious stopping power you'll need a lot more (our stock systems just can't do it without a total overhaul).

As for the DIY on the sways...it really is easy...you just jack up the car (front then rear), remove 2 bolts and 2 brackets per bar, replace and reinstall. But if you don't feel up to it, that's fine no big deal man. I'm just a DIY psycho. And on that note...now that I know you're in Austin prepare for me to come over when I hear you get something new and force you to put it on yourself with me . What area of Austin are you in?

Austin519
Old 07-09-2002, 06:28 PM
Advanced

man, there's alot of Austinites here!

David McDavid do suck bad, I'm looking forward to that new dealer though.
Old 07-09-2002, 06:40 PM
Instructor

That's one of the things I love about this forum. A guy asks for help and gets tons of offers. Not just advice but offers to do the work and teach. Amazing bunch...

Nice job everyone!!!
Old 07-09-2002, 07:35 PM

> > mdbenge: i 2nd that!

> > sidemarker: thanks again for offering and i'll let u know as soon as i get my bars.... KUULIGAN, CHUNG and whoever else wants to join to see how the installation goes or for whatever reason then u guys are definetly welcome If any of u guys change ur own oil then i need to learn that too!

> > AUSTIN519: Dont have much clue on when that new dealership's opening up.. think i just read an ad in the paper for it

But anyhow, i'm in westlake and it would be cool if u came, would luv to check out ur ride with all the gadgets and enlighten me on the ss lines. I saw the brembo upgrade @ tl.com for the CLs ... is this really possible?? I know they're an investment in themselves but we're talkin BREMBO here!

ONE QUESTION FOR ALL THE AUSTIN GUYS [OR GALS (do we have any local female CLers on here ]

> > > > Where do u guys take ur cars to have the scheduled and other basic maintenance ????
Taking it to the dealer is just as good as giving them ur wallet to rape. I know there are couple of places in austin called "dealership alternative" but how well do a job do they do?? and do they have the high tech machines and such to properly diagnose and fix the problems??

Its tough finding a good, honest mechanic :shakehd:
Old 07-09-2002, 07:57 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Austin519
kuuligan:
You can still hang with us. Once Ron and I install the rest of my stereo stuff we're going to have a huge Austin, TX meet...I promise...I may even pay for drinks.

Austin519
I'll be there for sure!!! MY 1st Austin meet! :P
Old 07-09-2002, 08:12 PM
Racer

Didn't realize there was so many Austiners here either. As none of you guys responded to my thread in the Club Events forum! :P

I could defintely show you how to change your oil too. BTW, I'm down south near Slaughter and Mopac.

I've learned its best if you do all the car work yourself. You can save a shitton of money & obtain a nice selection of tools. I'm debating even taking my car in for 30k service (only 28k miles to go!). I'll just do all the stuff on their list myself.
Old 07-09-2002, 08:25 PM
Racer

shaHn78

You have mail
Old 07-09-2002, 08:29 PM
Banned

shaHn78:
I do it myself pretty much bud So I can't help ya on maintenance.

Silverbullet:
Hell yeah

Austin519
Old 07-09-2002, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by EricS
Didn't realize there was so many Austiners here either. As none of you guys responded to my thread in the Club Events forum! :P
Uhmmm.. event... for-um u say...uhh what is THAT??
Dont know about u guys but i dont go there often But maybe i should huh

BTW... are my sway bar installation turning into some sorta meet now??? FOCUS U GUY! (and repeat): Must........ put....... shahn's..... bars...... in! ..... must.... put...... shahn's"

JK u guys :P
Has there ever been an austin meet before

> > DEAN: i'll be giving a call tomm!
Old 07-09-2002, 08:43 PM
Instructor

Austinite here too

Great to know there's a lot of Austin Acura drivers here. Altho I drive a Legend Coupe (bought from McDavid Acura) I've eyed the 03 6 speed since they came out. May get one but also hate hate hate McDavid Acura and would consider buying in San Antonio to avoid McDavid. I've heard of the new south dealer coming in too.
Old 07-09-2002, 08:48 PM
Banned

Re: Austinite here too

I am from S.A. though, but still, Austin isn't far, so a meet would be good. I will be on vacation in Sept 5th-14th, so that would not be a good time for me.

My car I bought from Gunn Acura here, they had it in the back. It was just dealer traded for another one they had. But they got it from David McDavid in Austin! :P So my car is from Austin!
Old 07-09-2002, 10:54 PM
Retired. Not available.

Hey, let me know as well ... maybe I can get a couple guys from Houston to drive 2 and a half hours there
Old 07-09-2002, 11:21 PM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by SilverKnight
Hey, let me know as well ... maybe I can get a couple guys from Houston to drive 2 and a half hours there
Two and half hours? What the hell were you driving Silver? It only takes me 1:45 flat to get from South Austin to 6 and Westhiemer. I hit San Antonio in 2 hours flat!
Old 07-09-2002, 11:37 PM
Retired. Not available.

Originally posted by bl^5

Two and half hours? What the hell were you driving Silver? It only takes me 1:45 flat to get from South Austin to 6 and Westhiemer. I hit San Antonio in 2 hours flat!
Don't you forget my car is much heavier than yours :P

Actually, I dont wanna push my luck. I still had a fender bender in my record which should be clear in less than a year .
Old 07-24-2002, 01:16 AM

bump

Hey guys, i've finally gotten my sways which i had only asked to get some installing ??s on but got overwhelmed by guys actually wanting to help out!

Anyhow, i know SIDEMARKER, ERICS and some other guys wanted to gather for this SPECIAL event so thought i'd update u guys.

SIDEMARKER has headers he wants to install also so we'll try to get both installed on the same day. Of course anyone else who wants to join is more then welcome.

Anyone interested in coming reply to this so me or sidemarker can get in touch with u guys and pick the best time to meet.
Old 07-24-2002, 02:38 AM
Banned

shahn78:
I won't be back to school till aug 20....

Austin519
Old 07-24-2002, 10:35 AM
Racer

it'll have to be after this weekend for me. just email me. also let me know if there's any tools i should bring.