HELP ME PLEASE!!!! (actuator dilemna)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2001 | 04:51 AM
Advanced

HELP ME PLEASE!!!! (actuator dilemna)

okay where to start.... i did the test to see if the plenum moved, which i didn't see anything (i didn't look on the side, only the front) you leave the car in park right? it won't rev high break torque'ing...

well i took it to the dealership told them it was the actuator, they didn't know what i was talking about (it's specifically called the mirc actuator right?) i told them that it should open up, and they argued that it shouldn't because you have the car in park and i had no other car that i could compare it to... they tested the car however by seeing if the vtec engaged by using their pgm (it engaged at 5200, is that right for a type s?) but i was arguing that it isn't the vtec you need to look for.

can you tell me if their pgm can spot the problem? is all this slowness in my head? where is the service bulletin i can show them? PLEASE HELP ME!!!! and if anyone is in houston, can anyone help me out? i took it to sterling mccall by the way. thanks for any help

big-V

------------------
'01 cl type-S black/black
mods (in order):
35% neutral smoke tint... cleared out headlights replaced with polarg m-14's and piaa 19169's... piaa 19169's in roadlamps, doorlights, maplights, trunk light, license plate light... mini-max hyperwhite domelight... comptech headers, springs, swaybars, and drop-in filter... infinity basslink subwoofer
Old 05-23-2001 | 05:27 AM
Oh...Behave!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by big-V:
i did the test to see if the plenum moved, which i didn't see anything (i didn't look on the side, only the front) you leave the car in park right? ...
</font>
No offense, but it doesn't sound like you even REALLY KNOW what you're looking for, or if there is a problem!
Do a search on the topic "IMRC" for more info! ...Good Luck!

------------------
Red
Type S
So. Cal.
Dark Tint
18" Niche Bella 2-piece
235/40/18 Sumitomo HTRZ's
Jet Performance PCM Mod
Ram-Air CAI w/ K&N Filter
Removed Pre-muffler
Liquid Glass Finish
G-tech 0-60 in 6.1 secs
...Looks Faster!!!

[This message has been edited by Ogolden1 (edited 05-23-2001).]
Old 05-23-2001 | 10:13 AM
Pro

Look behind the engine from the side. It's directly behind the engine. It about the size of your fist. Rev to over 4000 rpms and it should move. There are some pictures on a thread. Do a search. But you should see it move if you know the part. I found mine and I'm not much of a mechanic. It's really easy to spot if you look at it from just in front of door FROM THE SIDE. You cant't see it from the front. Good luck
Old 05-23-2001 | 10:18 AM
Race Director

my dealership didnt know what i am talking about too, dont worry, just bitch till they give up and just change it.

my appointment is on the 28th for a diagnosis.

------------------
2001 CL-S
Black/Black
Moonroof Visor
35% Tint All Around
Black Wood Dash Kit
Sportswing spoiler
My Bitch
aka Deadly-CLs
Old 05-23-2001 | 11:49 AM
MP Video Extraordinaire

Compliments of CLS-Act...

http://rrw.d2g.com/techshop/plenum0.html

------------------
01 CL-S San Marino Red/Black, K&N drop in, no nav, rear wing, otherwise stock thus far, has an appetite for Bavarian cars.
Old 05-23-2001 | 03:32 PM
Instructor

You can really check it yourself by standing outside of the car, behind the open door, one foot on the gas pedal, stretching forward and looking behind the engine. It's kind of scary at first whe you take the engine to 3800 because it sounds like 6000. So you have to gas it, go up to around 3800 while looking at the actuator.
This is how I initially checked it on mine.

------------------
2001 Silver CL-S
Old 05-23-2001 | 03:57 PM
Suzuka Master

okay where to start.... i did the test to see if the plenum moved, which i didn't see anything (i didn't look on the side, only the front) you leave the car in park right? it won't rev high break torque'ing...

well i took it to the dealership told them it was the actuator, they didn't know what i was talking about (it's specifically called the mirc actuator right?) i told them that it should open up, and they argued that it shouldn't because you have the car in park and i had no other car that i could compare it to... they tested the car however by seeing if the vtec engaged by using their pgm (it engaged at 5200, is that right for a type s?) but i was arguing that it isn't the vtec you need to look for.

can you tell me if their pgm can spot the problem? is all this slowness in my head? where is the service bulletin i can show them? PLEASE HELP ME!!!! and if anyone is in houston, can anyone help me out? i took it to sterling mccall by the way. thanks for any help

big-V

</font>
THE PGM doesn't know anything about the actuator's actual movement.

Just get a relative or friend to slowly raise the rpms PAST 4200 rpm, the actuator should engage in the (3800-4100) range.

How many people would buy a micro switch engagement detector?

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 10 coats of Zaino magic
Old 05-23-2001 | 04:38 PM
Retired. Not available.

big-V

</font>
I think I can show you how I saw it works .. but you have to look at from the side ... give me a call ... maybe I can help you out ...281 948 3725

------------------
'01 Silver CL-S
Painted Mud Guard
Silver Aluminum Pedals
Kenwood Amp with 10in. Pioneer sub.
(modified) CAI.

My Car
Old 05-23-2001 | 06:31 PM
Advanced

okay haven't done the test again yet.... BUT how should the DEALERSHIP go about testing if the actuator is working or not?... i know that damned pgm won't do it, thanks

------------------
'01 cl type-S black/black
mods (in order):
35% neutral smoke tint... cleared out headlights replaced with polarg m-14's and piaa 19169's... piaa 19169's in roadlamps, doorlights, maplights, trunk light, license plate light... mini-max hyperwhite domelight... comptech headers, springs, swaybars, and drop-in filter... infinity basslink subwoofer