Headers

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 02:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Headers

Im looking to get some headers for under $200 any recommendations and can you install headers yourself or should you have a pro do it also how much better are comptechs than ebay headers?
Old 09-27-2008, 02:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 668 Likes on 390 Posts
XS headers are a little over $100 shipped. please use the SEARCH feature theres a complete thread on these headers. comptechs are much better as far as quality but do you really want to pay $1000 for the same power you can get for $100. ive had mine for almost a year now and havent had any problems. go to ssautochrome.com
Old 09-27-2008, 02:54 PM
Burning Brakes

how much of a performance gain did you notice and did you install yourself?
Old 09-27-2008, 03:05 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I remember hearing Comptech headers are the only brand that are 50 state legal.

I personally think that it worth something.

Remember...it's your car and what you value.

I value the quality brand items since the relationship and reputation of Comptech/CT Engineering is so high.

I know I can't go wrong with Comptech.

As far as installation is concerned.

From my research...you can install them but you should have a way to work from underneath the vehicle.

I am picking up some headers in the next couple of weeks and I am going to have them professionally installed.

A couple of hundred dollars is what I've been told to expect to pay and takes a couple of hours.

But use the SEARCH field because this topic has been beat up to shit and I've only been on Acurazine for less than a year...so I can't imagine what senior members think.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 668 Likes on 390 Posts
Originally Posted by Ceemore Butts
how much of a performance gain did you notice and did you install yourself?
mine got installed at a shop. i felt a big gain after they were installed.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
FAQ......Read it, love it, live it............
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-2001-2003-50/%2A%2A%2A-official-2nd-gen-cl-information-thread-%2A%2A%2A-480087/
Old 09-27-2008, 04:50 PM
CL-Pride

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just gotta say Comptech header is GREAT
and YES you can totally install it yourself, just that you will be hella tired after
lift the car as high as possible if you doing it yourself because u just need that much room
Old 09-27-2008, 09:49 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

I'm sure the only difference isn't $900. It never is.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:17 PM
Racer

not to reign on your parade but 50 state emissions legal doesnt account for much other than saying they tested it and it passed emissions... not too too hard to do considering its a simple bolt on modification without omitting/adding any kind of filter... the other bottom line is, if for some reason you DO fail emissions, what are your options? its not like you win the lottery or anything, at best you send back your $1000 headers and get a refund, and id bet this is after comptech has argued that failing wouldnt be related to their 50 state legal headers...

On the topic of prices... are the comptechs nicer? yes. better built? i would assume so. warranty and customer service? without a doubt better than XS, in the event you will need it. worth the extra $900? its up to you in that regard...

The welds arent as pretty on the XS headers, and the hardware is crap, but at one tenth the price you have to assume XS cut corners somewhere...

My headers have held up for 10k miles, and im sure they will hold up a lot longer... my mechanic gave me a thumbs up on the quality so i went ahead and bought new hardware and installed them --- for 100 bucks i couldnt be happier...

I put the other 900 bucks i saved to good use... i mean just think of what you can buy with the extra money...

Intake/exhaust
suspension
wheels
tires
system
you could get 45 lap dances if you really want
Old 09-28-2008, 02:39 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,281 Likes on 4,885 Posts
Originally Posted by Ralphie917
not to reign on your parade but 50 state emissions legal doesnt account for much other than saying they tested it and it passed emissions... not too too hard to do considering its a simple bolt on modification without omitting/adding any kind of filter... the other bottom line is, if for some reason you DO fail emissions, what are your options? its not like you win the lottery or anything, at best you send back your $1000 headers and get a refund, and id bet this is after comptech has argued that failing wouldnt be related to their 50 state legal headers...
Emissions has nothing to do with being 50 State Legal. When they say the CT headers are 50 state legal they mean that one state on the west coast (you know the one Im talking about) has certified it to pass their CARB requirements. Meaning that you can LEGALLY use it there. Most intakes arent CARB certified, either. Its all a legallity issue, not actually passing the smog check.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by p.diddy
XS headers are a little over $100 shipped. please use the SEARCH feature theres a complete thread on these headers. comptechs are much better as far as quality but do you really want to pay $1000 for the same power you can get for $100. ive had mine for almost a year now and havent had any problems. go to ssautochrome.com
i believe that there are dynos on here proving that the ct's make more hp than the xs. is it noticeable? probably not for a daily driver but xs does not make the same hp as ct. That being said i believe xs is a great bang for your buck. you can buy 9-10 of these before you regret not having the ct's (new). But like everyone says, at the end of the day its your car, your money and def. your choice. i had both: first the xs but ultimately went with ct's because i'm in the state that these guys are talking about. you know the one.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:20 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Emissions has nothing to do with being 50 State Legal. When they say the CT headers are 50 state legal they mean that one state on the west coast (you know the one Im talking about) has certified it to pass their CARB requirements. Meaning that you can LEGALLY use it there. Most intakes arent CARB certified, either. Its all a legallity issue, not actually passing the smog check.
Ive been wrong before but...

I think emissions has everything to do with a product that is 50 state (or california state) legal...

If im not mistaken CARB requires testing of smog and emissions for most vehicles in california... Ill give you the fact that they give a check mark to CT headers making them "legal"... however, i dont think this would make the XS illegal, just because they arent CARB certified...

It seems as though you are saying passing CARB emissions and smog tests is irrelevant if you have an aftermarket part that isnt CARB certified. Is this in fact what you are saying? If that is what you are saying, what would give the test inspector reason to suspect anything if you passed the smog and emmissions check? And if you failed due to the headers, i dont think comptechs certification would help you out in this regard.

I guess what im trying to say is, if comptech headers are california legal, and XS is a near identical copy of comptech, then wouldnt it be safe to assume that XS would yield smog and emissions results comparable to comptechs...?

Im not gonna pretend to know what procedures california uses to inspect or test for emissions, and i dont know the laws pertaining to modifying a vehicle. I would assume that if you bring your car in for a smog and emissions test, they test the levels coming out of your exhaust and not which brand headers you have...

Now if you tell me that California does a visual inspection of a vehicles engine bay and if they see aftermarket headers they want to see proof stating its CARB legal... that i would beleive. However its tough to believe it would be a problem if its not making any "noise" i.e. youve already passed a smog check.

not to go way off topic, but could someone, (maybe m733l) from Cali shed some light on this?

Last edited by Ralphie917; 09-28-2008 at 05:24 AM.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:18 PM
4drs just wanna have fun!

Can someone actually tell me if the XS j-pipe is actually larger then COmptech and as big as they say? When you visit ssautochrome.com it tells you that it has a 2.35" inlet and 2.5" outlet on the colector, is this true?
Old 09-28-2008, 05:46 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by CL6
I'm sure the only difference isn't $900. It never is.
You're right, it's closer to $1000.

<-----------XS user, happy with them, passes inspection in MA.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:52 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,281 Likes on 4,885 Posts
Originally Posted by Ralphie917
Ive been wrong before but...

I think emissions has everything to do with a product that is 50 state (or california state) legal...

If im not mistaken CARB requires testing of smog and emissions for most vehicles in california... Ill give you the fact that they give a check mark to CT headers making them "legal"... however, i dont think this would make the XS illegal, just because they arent CARB certified...

It seems as though you are saying passing CARB emissions and smog tests is irrelevant if you have an aftermarket part that isnt CARB certified. Is this in fact what you are saying? If that is what you are saying, what would give the test inspector reason to suspect anything if you passed the smog and emmissions check? And if you failed due to the headers, i dont think comptechs certification would help you out in this regard.

I guess what im trying to say is, if comptech headers are california legal, and XS is a near identical copy of comptech, then wouldnt it be safe to assume that XS would yield smog and emissions results comparable to comptechs...?

Im not gonna pretend to know what procedures california uses to inspect or test for emissions, and i dont know the laws pertaining to modifying a vehicle. I would assume that if you bring your car in for a smog and emissions test, they test the levels coming out of your exhaust and not which brand headers you have...

Now if you tell me that California does a visual inspection of a vehicles engine bay and if they see aftermarket headers they want to see proof stating its CARB legal... that i would beleive. However its tough to believe it would be a problem if its not making any "noise" i.e. youve already passed a smog check.

not to go way off topic, but could someone, (maybe m733l) from Cali shed some light on this?
Sorry if I wasn't clear in what I was trying to say.

From what I undestand, CA does in fact check under the hood. Anything that isn't OEM needs a CARB sticker on it.

It's rare that a set of headers would actually affect the smog check. If you were missing the cat, then the smog readings would differ. But I've never had a vehicle with headers on it fail the smog check. Usually its due to something else.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:05 PM
4drs just wanna have fun!

Originally Posted by Accord_V6_400m
Can someone actually tell me if the XS j-pipe is actually larger then COmptech and as big as they say? When you visit ssautochrome.com it tells you that it has a 2.35" inlet and 2.5" outlet on the colector, is this true?
Anybody? For those who want to know Comptech has 2.0" inlets and outlets.

From what I undestand, CA does in fact check under the hood. Anything that isn't OEM needs a CARB sticker on it.

It's rare that a set of headers would actually affect the smog check. If you were missing the cat, then the smog readings would differ. But I've never had a vehicle with headers on it fail the smog check. Usually its due to something else.
They do check under the hood its saved me twice already having that CARB label/sticker.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:25 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

$900 + $100 XS headers = $1,000

Originally Posted by black label
You're right, it's closer to $1000.

<-----------XS user, happy with them, passes inspection in MA.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:37 PM

I remember them looking under the hood.

XS are not certified and you run the risk of having to remove them or replace them at an earlier interval than a CT product.

And for the record...I don't believe that XS Headers are a close replica of CT.

I am sure everybody who has XS headers loves them but in my opinion you get what you pay for.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:39 PM
Racer

well shit, let me take the foot out of my mouth... so i guess they are pretty strict in cali
Old 09-28-2008, 09:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by m733l
i believe that there are dynos on here proving that the ct's make more hp than the xs. is it noticeable? probably not for a daily driver but xs does not make the same hp as ct. That being said i believe xs is a great bang for your buck. you can buy 9-10 of these before you regret not having the ct's (new). But like everyone says, at the end of the day its your car, your money and def. your choice. i had both: first the xs but ultimately went with ct's because i'm in the state that these guys are talking about. you know the one.
My CT header dyno with mods was almost the same as my XS header dyno with the same mods.
Granted they were 2 different 6mt CL's, but still. The power is close if not the same.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:01 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Originally Posted by CL6
$900 + $100 XS headers = $1,000
https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/comptech-usa-parts-pricing-370676/

Acura CL, CL-S 01-03 A/T and M/T, TL 99-03, TL-S 02-03

- Comptech Icebox $280 shipped
- Comptech Headers $1070 shipped
- Comptech Axleback Exhaust - $650 shipped
- Comptech Supercharger $4100 shipped (Type S only)

Like I said closer to $1000.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:35 PM

Yeah...no doubt they are expensive.

But...in most cases I will stop opt for the CT over the other guys.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:26 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Guess you missed it... someone said the $100 XS were basically the same as the $1,000 Comptechs and I said the only difference can't be $900 (the amount of money you save if you go with the cheaper ones).

Got it?

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370676

Acura CL, CL-S 01-03 A/T and M/T, TL 99-03, TL-S 02-03

- Comptech Icebox $280 shipped
- Comptech Headers $1070 shipped
- Comptech Axleback Exhaust - $650 shipped
- Comptech Supercharger $4100 shipped (Type S only)

Like I said closer to $1000.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:28 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
FAQ......Read it, love it, live it............
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480087
lol...
Old 09-29-2008, 01:24 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Originally Posted by CL6
Guess you missed it... someone said the $100 XS were basically the same as the $1,000 Comptechs and I said the only difference can't be $900 (the amount of money you save if you go with the cheaper ones).

Got it?
I decided to post more accurate information.

If you wanted to do the math out for me again though, that would be sweet, maybe in a larger sized text so it could sink into my feeble brain that likes accurate information, kinda like talking louder to a blind man.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-29-2008, 01:40 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Hey why don't we do this... when I want to hear from you I'll pull your cord. Does that work?

I decided to post more accurate information.

If you wanted to do the math out for me again though, that would be sweet, maybe in a larger sized text so it could sink into my feeble brain that likes accurate information, kinda like talking louder to a blind man.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-29-2008, 09:16 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

That won't work, it broke years ago that's why I don't stop, I'm stuck in the "on" position.