Headers for $500, would you buy it??

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 04:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of course Comptech will tell you that, but have you been there to actually see them making them? Probably not.

Stillen said the same thing originally, then I got some inside sources that they actually do not produce some stuff in house. They have other manufactures make them.

Comptech will not tell you they don't make them because they don't want to loose business.

Just like how Acura/Honda is. Honda makes Acuras.

Originally posted by BNut

CompTech has already stated a number of times on their bulletin board that their headers are made in house so that idea is out.

Every header that comes out of CompTech is welded by hand and then inspected by hand to smooth out any rough spots.

They aren't shi##ing these things out from a machine...

CompTech's springs are/were made by an outside company (to CompTech's specs) mainly because of the expense of the machinery involved.
Old 08-26-2002, 04:32 PM
Suzuka Master

if the obx headers and the comptech headers are the same then why arent the obx headers carb exempt??

only time will tell

sidemarker
Old 08-26-2002, 05:24 PM
Grammar Police

Originally posted by acuraboy

what ambiguities?

i think everything was covered thus far...please post queries
No amiguities?

They're OBX, built to EXACT SAME specs as Comptech's, but they "BLOW COMPTECH OUT OF THE WATER" and give significantly more HP and TQ on the low middle end?

How convenient that headers built to spec for Comptech provide PROTOTYPE header dyno numbers....

No, everything is ALL CLEAR here.
Old 08-26-2002, 05:29 PM
Grammar Police

Originally posted by Rod

That's what I'm thinking. What are Comptech's comments on this? Wasn't Protoype Racing selling their V6 header design to some other company so that they could market it, maybe this other company is OBX.

finally!!! someone's catching on
BULLSHIT, if the prototype design was SOLD to OBX, then the OBX headers would look like the Prototype equal-length header design. The pictures posted parody (or actually are) COMPTECH's design, and you stated several times they're bulit to "COMPTECH specs".

So don't defend someone who uses a completely unrelated Prototype dyno on a comptech-lookalike header.
Old 08-26-2002, 05:38 PM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

Originally posted by SilverBullet
Of course Comptech will tell you that, but have you been there to actually see them making them? Probably not.

Stillen said the same thing originally, then I got some inside sources that they actually do not produce some stuff in house. They have other manufactures make them.

Comptech will not tell you they don't make them because they don't want to loose business.
I personally haven't, but several members from AV6.com have been to CompTech's facilities for open house and have.

I inspected my own headers and saw the proof that SOMEONE did inspect the header and file down several rough joints to smooth everything in the header out. The same proof is also evident with the cast parts for the S/C.
Old 08-26-2002, 05:39 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by SilverBullet
Actually, yes I have seen headers being made..
And they do weld their own Headers in house..

Their facility is in El Dorado Hills, about 30 min East of Sacramento..
Old 08-26-2002, 06:16 PM
4dr & I like it that way

Did you guys ever consider that Comptech might have paid OBX to make the header design and Comptech stamped there name on it to sell it. You are just not paying for the big name brand Comptech, just OBX.
if this is true then why have the Comptech headers been around for YEARS (well before the typeS existed) while we haven't even seen verifiable pictures of these OBX headers yet.
Old 08-26-2002, 10:32 PM
Pro

Originally posted by sidemarker
if the obx headers and the comptech headers are the same then why arent the obx headers carb exempt??

only time will tell

sidemarker

this is true but u also can't go upto the CARB office and say "we're just like so and so and they have a CARB# so please give us one too"
Old 08-26-2002, 10:49 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Kkranghkar

No amiguities?

They're OBX, built to EXACT SAME specs as Comptech's, but they "BLOW COMPTECH OUT OF THE WATER" and give significantly more HP and TQ on the low middle end?

How convenient that headers built to spec for Comptech provide PROTOTYPE header dyno numbers....

No, everything is ALL CLEAR here.
this post was pretty ironic considering it was made by the self-proclaimed "grammar police".

no one said "exact same". try to get past a 5th grade reading level and try to decipher typical advertising practices (good or bad) and actual technical data. the only technical data i've found/heard is that they are built to comptech specs. does that mean quality specs or does that mean engineering specs? this is what i'm trying to ascertain. so u can either take the low road and point and laugh or actually try to do some research and figure out what's what here. i for one would like to see some competition in the header market. and yes perhaps OBX "copied" someone out there, but that's what patent lawyers and free enterprise are about.
Old 08-26-2002, 10:55 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Kkranghkar

BULLSHIT, if the prototype design was SOLD to OBX, then the OBX headers would look like the Prototype equal-length header design. The pictures posted parody (or actually are) COMPTECH's design, and you stated several times they're bulit to "COMPTECH specs".

So don't defend someone who uses a completely unrelated Prototype dyno on a comptech-lookalike header.
could it be remotely possible that Prototype had more than one design or are we all only capapble of one idea at a time as you are?

and yes sherlock-come-lately, the last pic is one of a C/T. shame on them...bad bad ssautochrome. yes, i stated such 'cause i was told that. do u think i have some intimate divine knowledge regarding the design and construction of these things. i'm trying to report what i've found. there's no "defending" here. ingrates
Old 08-26-2002, 10:58 PM
Pro

are all of u the type to see opprotunity and run away from it or do u take on some type of careful/exhaustive research to take part of that opprotunity. i would like to find out what this thing is all about.
Old 08-27-2002, 12:26 AM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

acuraboy,

your efforts are greatly appreciated.
Getting the Dyno will shut the ingrates up.

Even though I am not in the market for headers, the information and opportunity for a less expensive alternative will be welcomed.

I'm sure there are many others here who feel the same way, but are just sitting back to see the results.
Old 08-27-2002, 01:11 AM
?!?

i'd buy if they work
Old 08-27-2002, 06:29 AM
Instructor

could it be remotely possible that Prototype had more than one design or are we all only capapble of one idea at a time as you are?

and yes sherlock-come-lately, the last pic is one of a C/T. shame on them...bad bad ssautochrome. yes, i stated such 'cause i was told that. do u think i have some intimate divine knowledge regarding the design and construction of these things. i'm trying to report what i've found. there's no "defending" here. ingrates

i dont think it could be remotely possible since i actually saw the headers and the header making thingy at Prototype.
Old 08-27-2002, 06:53 AM
Pro

some people put their designs on paper and not straight to metal
Old 08-27-2002, 07:40 AM
How much for the Redhead?

Originally posted by Edub-TL
acuraboy,

your efforts are greatly appreciated.
Getting the Dyno will shut the ingrates up.

Even though I am not in the market for headers, the information and opportunity for a less expensive alternative will be welcomed.

I'm sure there are many others here who feel the same way, but are just sitting back to see the results.
I agree with Edub, and I am in the market.

Keep on rollin A-boy...

...rollin, rollin, rollin..

"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain"
Old 08-27-2002, 01:21 PM
Pro

OBX Dyno
Old 08-27-2002, 01:44 PM
Pro

cool...thanks for saving me the headache...

where did u find this?
Old 08-27-2002, 01:51 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Looks good...
Old 08-27-2002, 01:54 PM
Pro

anyone have a number for ss autochrome?
Old 08-27-2002, 02:24 PM
Instructor

Where was that dyno from? Just wondering?
Old 08-27-2002, 02:24 PM
Pro

okay all....just got off the phone with Greg from SSAutochrome. all i can say is that based on the conversation i've had with him he seems like a hella cool guy to do business with.

does everyone still wanna see a "real world" dyno from my car or are you all satisfied with this? BTW, the dyno was from OBX. in any case lemme know what you guys wanna do with this.
Old 08-27-2002, 03:59 PM
How much for the Redhead?

Dyno look good...

I would prefer a "real world dyno" myself,

When you spoke with him did you ask what the chances were of you getting one and being able to try it out??? And then being able to return if not worthy...

I think that would be the way to go if you can pull that off..

my 2...
Old 08-27-2002, 05:39 PM
Banned

Wow!!! That dyno is impressive.....
Old 08-27-2002, 06:02 PM

Wow, OBX has some mad Excel skills going on with that dyno chart....

They must have used the EXACT same car that the CompTech and ProtoType headers were dyno'd on.

Funny thing is OBX doesn't realize that the other dyno that is posted is NOT a stock accord. I know for a fact that the car that was used to test the ProtoType headers had a high flow cat.

I'd wait until OBX can provide a REAL dyno sheet and someone can independently confirm/disprove the results.
Old 08-27-2002, 06:18 PM
4dr & I like it that way

okay all....just got off the phone with Greg from SSAutochrome. all i can say is that based on the conversation i've had with him he seems like a hella cool guy to do business with.

does everyone still wanna see a "real world" dyno from my car or are you all satisfied with this? BTW, the dyno was from OBX. in any case lemme know what you guys wanna do with this.

YES we NEED a "real world" dyno, prefferably before and after of the same car
Old 08-27-2002, 06:46 PM
Instructor

just to let you know, the car used on the comparison of Comptech and Prototype had the following mods along with the headers.

Full Catback exhaust
Random Hi-flo cat with piping that was too small
Denso Ik20 plugs
AEM CAI
AEM pulleys
18" Volk TE-37
Mobil1 motor oil
Redline Racing ATF w/tranny cooler
Old 08-27-2002, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by frank828
just to let you know, the car used on the comparison of Comptech and Prototype had the following mods along with the headers.

Full Catback exhaust
Random Hi-flo cat with piping that was too small
Denso Ik20 plugs
AEM CAI
AEM pulleys
18" Volk TE-37
Mobil1 motor oil
Redline Racing ATF w/tranny cooler
So HOT DAMN! One set of OBX gives you MORE performance than a car with CT Headers, AEM CAI, AEM Pulleys, Denso Plugs, and Catback exhaust ALL combined!

Where do I sign up?!?! :P

<That's sarcasm for the humor impaired>
Old 08-27-2002, 09:41 PM
Pro

gotta love the hataz
Old 08-27-2002, 09:47 PM
Pro

Originally posted by robbra
Dyno look good...

I would prefer a "real world dyno" myself,

When you spoke with him did you ask what the chances were of you getting one and being able to try it out??? And then being able to return if not worthy...

I think that would be the way to go if you can pull that off..

my 2...
robbra,

this is what i'm looking into. you figure that such an agreement is probably the best illustration of faith in one's product. the stickler is in the detail. if its 1 HP off does it fail? 2 HP? 3 HP? and where in the curve is it more crucial that the OBX outperform CT? on the one hand i don't want to nickel and dime anyone over this. on the other hand, OBX says its better than the CT so i expect a dyno that says that very clearly.
Old 08-27-2002, 09:57 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by BNut

So HOT DAMN! One set of OBX gives you MORE performance than a car with CT Headers, AEM CAI, AEM Pulleys, Denso Plugs, and Catback exhaust ALL combined!

Where do I sign up?!?! :P

<That's sarcasm for the humor impaired>
ROFL

i wonder who threw that fake dyno together. damn shaddy
Old 08-27-2002, 10:35 PM
Old enough to know better

I sure am glad I have Comptech's already! I would be glad to see the free market system work for you all. Good Luck!
Old 08-27-2002, 11:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by frank828

ROFL

i wonder who threw that fake dyno together. damn shaddy

Boy, give them a break... They have a test facility on the dark side of the moon to allows the exhaust pipes to be vented to the near perfect vacuum that exists outside the dyno chamber... The cold temperatures and pure oxygen environment also helps!

Old 08-27-2002, 11:58 PM
Duck Fuke!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the whole thing is starting to stink.............after reading through this i would think acuraboy is a paid spokesman for OBX
Old 08-28-2002, 04:39 AM
Pro

Originally posted by jts1207
the whole thing is starting to stink.............after reading through this i would think acuraboy is a paid spokesman for OBX
y would u say that?

i haven't asked for money from anyone, right?
i haven't said that these headers are the bestest metal thingies in the world, right?

i reported on info i received and now because i don't wanna pay over a G for someone to bend pipes and weld metal together, i'm a salesman? i suppose i could see how it could come across as that. not sure how to prove that i'm not though. not sure if i really care if anyone else thinks the same though either. i'd really like to get headers for 5 bills, like i did with my fords and like my friends do for their imports.
Old 08-28-2002, 04:42 AM
Pro

some more info people. Steve at OBX doesn't wanna say that these WILL fit even though he realizes that they *SHOULD* since there's an application for 98+ accords.
Old 08-28-2002, 04:46 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by EricL

Boy, give them a break... They have a test facility on the dark side of the moon to allows the exhaust pipes to be vented to the near perfect vacuum that exists outside the dyno chamber... The cold temperatures and pure oxygen environment also helps!

lol funniest thing ive heard so far all day (2:45am here).

Old 08-28-2002, 06:52 AM
Instructor

just to let you know about the type of person you are dealing with

http://www.v6accord.com/forums/showt...887#post100049

i was called a liar that makes stupid comments, a dweeb, and a child all in one post. LOL

This now is the funniest thing i've heard all day(4:51am here, time to go to bed soon, got work at 1:30pm)

Old 08-28-2002, 07:13 AM
Pro

ouch...
Old 08-28-2002, 07:15 AM
Instructor

im wondering if the guy is like 18 years old or something.

Just a suggestion, i know there are probably like THOUSANDS of other OBX dealers around...

Quick Reply: Headers for $500, would you buy it??