Headers for $500, would you buy it??

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 09:03 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by jimcol711
ok, i got an email back from this guy, he told me that they are built the the EXACT specs of the comptech headers so there should be NO fitment problems with an automatic CL-S.....also i dont think we have to organize anything on our own because he already sent me an billpoint invoice for thr 495.00 shipped price.....the invoice is to be paid 1/2 now and 1/2 on shipment..so i dont think we need to organize any type of group....did any of you others get the invoice?? let me know..are you guys paying it yet??? any more solid answers to any questions?? i mean if these bad boys are the same specs as the comptechs, what other questions could there be???
I'd really like to see the dyno before I buy... Call me paranoid, I guess. $500 is 1/2 of $1000 but to me, it's still a lot to plunk down. Maybe if they charts come out and they're still at $500 shipped I'll get a set.

Then I'd just have to find a shop to intall them.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by acuraboy

hey genius...
your eloquence was so appreciated by the retailer that he's considering pulling out of the groupbuy.

the product is new and is being produced now. so he can't have dynos posted just yet. these headers are built to the same specs as the prototypes and CTs and that's why other data was used. now shut ur piehole before u screw the rest of us who aren't so neaderthal so as to bite the hand that feeds us. if u have a question then ask. otherwise keep ur unqualified commentary to yourself...or atleast until the groupbuy is over

remember that this isn't a pay site and anyone can see these posts.
dude chill out

im just pointing out the facts

1 it is a obx header
2 the dyno is from the prototype racing headers
3 there is also a comptech header pic on the page

i am not saying anything bad about the actual obx headers it just seems a little shady that he has to post other products to sell his.

I have posted a link to the obx website and it does show application for the v6 accord.

I am not trying to screw anyone over, im just helping you from maybe getting ripped off from some guy from a groupbuy...

sidemarker
Old 08-26-2002, 09:07 AM
Pro

Originally posted by De03CLS
These won't fit a 03 6M though will they??

If they do...consider me on your list acuraboy...

if they don't...screw you guys...i'm going home

Thanks for the info everyone!
already lookin out for youz guys...he's checking on that as we speak.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:08 AM
Banned

scrib, if these things are exact specs of comptechs, how could they possibly vary from comptechs dyno numbers?? i mean maybe they could vary 1-2 hp in either direction, but if these things are exact specs of comptechs, thats enough reassurance for me...for 500 bucks, fuckin a!! if they do 3 less hp than the comptechs, but cost 500 bucks less, fuck the 3 hp, ill just spend that 500 on the pullies and intake!!
Smack My B*tch Up

I'll get them right after I see the dyno
Pro

Originally posted by sidemarker

dude chill out

im just pointing out the facts

1 it is a obx header
2 the dyno is from the prototype racing headers
3 there is also a comptech header pic on the page

i am not saying anything bad about the actual obx headers it just seems a little shady that he has to post other products to sell his.

I have posted a link to the obx website and it does show application for the v6 accord.

I am not trying to screw anyone over, im just helping you from maybe getting ripped off from some guy from a groupbuy...

sidemarker

and i appreciate your efforts really...

i just think that the "lazy fuck" comment was not taken so kindly by the retailer
Old 08-26-2002, 09:09 AM
Banned

i think its pretty obvious they wont fit the 03 6 speed...they are the same specs as the automatic headers for the cl, tl, accord, and we all know comptech had to change the rear header bank for the 6 speed.....
Old 08-26-2002, 09:10 AM
Pro

sorry...maybe i misspoke. i meant that he's checking to see if there's an application available for the 03 MT
Old 08-26-2002, 09:11 AM
Suzuka Master

hey genius...
your eloquence was so appreciated by the retailer that he's considering pulling out of the groupbuy.

the product is new and is being produced now. so he can't have dynos posted just yet. these headers are built to the same specs as the prototypes and CTs and that's why other data was used. now shut ur piehole before u screw the rest of us who aren't so neaderthal so as to bite the hand that feeds us. if u have a question then ask. otherwise keep ur unqualified commentary to yourself...or atleast until the groupbuy is over

remember that this isn't a pay site and anyone can see these posts.
actually i think all my posts are relevant and not "unqualified comments"

if i have any questions should i ask you?

sidemarker
Old 08-26-2002, 09:13 AM
How much for the Redhead?

So, what are we doing the groupbuy as posted, separately? Or are we going in on this thing together??

It would appear we can do this separately, but I would feel better, and I don't know why, if I knew there were several others here that were buying them as well...

Hate like hell to run into another Zephyr intake deal, y'know?

$500 is cheaper than $1K, but $500 is still $500 in my eyes.. you know?

How do we know the dyno chart as posted is not from these headers?

... Gettin excited....
Old 08-26-2002, 09:14 AM
Pro

tentaive list...

acuraboy
ch1276
jimcol711
robbra
IntegraVT
De03CLS
Scrib
Samer007

it is noted that the above are tentaive upon dynos and such
Old 08-26-2002, 09:16 AM
Suzuka Master

and i appreciate your efforts really...

i just think that the "lazy fuck" comment was not taken so kindly by the retailer
i hope no one told him that i said that

again i do believe these headers are for real and will probably give the same power output as the comptech headers

the obx headers have an MSRP of 599.00

$500 shipped is a great deal but im just curious why has to use other data to advertise. i think the first pic and a brief descriptions like the ones he has emailed to some members should do the trick...

sidemarker
Old 08-26-2002, 09:17 AM
Pro

Originally posted by robbra
So, what are we doing the groupbuy as posted, separately? Or are we going in on this thing together??

It would appear we can do this separately, but I would feel better, and I don't know why, if I knew there were several others here that were buying them as well...

Hate like hell to run into another Zephyr intake deal, y'know?

$500 is cheaper than $1K, but $500 is still $500 in my eyes.. you know?

How do we know the dyno chart as posted is not from these headers?

... Gettin excited....
this is why i'd like to get a list of people wiling to commit to buying a pair. the retailer would be more willing to sell me a "returnable pair" to dyno if he knows that he has buyers. basically i buy the headers. dyno them. if these are bullshit i can return them no questions asked. this is the deal i'm TRYING to work out.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:20 AM
Pro

actually i think all my posts are relevant and not "unqualified comments"

if i have any questions should i ask you?

sidemarker
the points u brought up were relevant but the manner was questionable. unless u have some way to qualify the "lazy fuck" comment. no dyno currently exists so none can be posted. they're built to the same specs so logic would dictate that the same dyno/pics should apply.

and if u have questions u can ask me or go straight to OBX
Old 08-26-2002, 09:21 AM

this is why i'd like to get a list of people wiling to commit to buying a pair. the retailer would be more willing to sell me a "returnable pair" to dyno if he knows that he has buyers. basically i buy the headers. dyno them. if these are bullshit i can return them no questions asked. this is the deal i'm TRYING to work out.
Ok, cool deal, I misunderstood, sorry about that....

Sounds like a good deal and no risk... can't ask for more than that....
Old 08-26-2002, 09:23 AM
Pro

i hope no one told him that i said that

again i do believe these headers are for real and will probably give the same power output as the comptech headers

the obx headers have an MSRP of 599.00

$500 shipped is a great deal but im just curious why has to use other data to advertise. i think the first pic and a brief descriptions like the ones he has emailed to some members should do the trick...

sidemarker
no one has to tell him...he can read the posts for himself. but i agree that perhaps another route could have been taken in presenting the data.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

acuraboy...if he will sell you a returnable pair to dyno, I am definately in if the dyno is comparable and they will fit an 03 CLP...hell, can't beat $500 shipped
Old 08-26-2002, 09:27 AM
Wha Happened?

Does anyone know anything about offtopic.com?? I was told to go there by a mustang cobra friend of mine, and I can't find it online...anyone know of the addy?

Sorry to post here...but I didn't want to post a whole new topic...

if you can let me know thanks..

I'm still in...if these fit the 03 6Ms...which i'm doubting they will...
Old 08-26-2002, 09:31 AM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

IMO, its pretty damn sleezy to post a dyno chart for Prototype Racing vs CompTech headers which lead a person to believe the headers they are buying are the one's indicated as the "Prototype" headers since the group buy person has already stated their headers will make CompTech's look like dirt.

Also, WTF did he post a picture of COMPTECH's headers for the group buy at the bottom?!?!

You don't need a degree in marketing or experience with sales see what this snake is trying to do, all you need is a little COMMON SENSE!

Do yourself a favor and wait for their dyno's and then one or two of the board members that are willing to take a risk and have their car dyno'd before you jump in on this.

Also just FYI, if OBX's headers ARE an EXACT rip off of CompTech's then I can promise you their headers won't be around for long because CompTech will take them to court.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:33 AM
Pro

i don't recall fitment issues between CLP and CLS. i think the only concern is with the 03 6MT. if u're an auto, these will fit.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:37 AM
Instructor

yea dont buy if its a 6speed you got. cause you need the one with the bent pipe for the back headers since theres something it needs to avoid inside in the 6spd . WORD
Old 08-26-2002, 09:38 AM
Wha Happened?

word.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:48 AM
Pro

thus far:

acuraboy
ch1276
jimcol711
robbra
IntegraVT
De03CLS
Scrib
Samer007

lemme know if i skipped anyone or placed anyone "out of order"
Old 08-26-2002, 10:01 AM
the last one alive

If the dyno sheet is lookin' good (similar to Comptechs), I'd buy it for $500. But I'd probably wait until a few guinea pigs install it and make sure there are no fitment issues and what not. But if all looks good, I'd easily buy that for $500.
Old 08-26-2002, 10:06 AM
Administrator Alumnus

thus far:

acuraboy
ch1276
jimcol711
robbra
IntegraVT
De03CLS
Scrib
Samer007

lemme know if i skipped anyone or placed anyone "out of order"
I'm not commiting to anything until I see the dyno, and even then I may not buy...

Getting the approval of the warden, errr... wife may prove tricky.
Old 08-26-2002, 10:14 AM

I'm wit ya...
Old 08-26-2002, 10:17 AM
Wha Happened?

Yeah, and i'm waiting to see if it is really 500 bucks for a 6 speed's headers...!!
Old 08-26-2002, 10:25 AM
Banned

guys, they wont be for the 6 speed, they are only for the automatic model, as with the comptech, the the rear header bank would require that different bend on that one pipe for them to work on a 6 speed. looks like you 6 speeders are stuck with comptech.
Old 08-26-2002, 10:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally posted by Simpleman
If the dyno sheet is lookin' good (similar to Comptechs), I'd buy it for $500. But I'd probably wait until a few guinea pigs install it and make sure there are no fitment issues and what not. But if all looks good, I'd easily buy that for $500.
if the dyno looks good AND one of you guys dyno it to prove that they give the advertised gains... I'd be down.. but only after those two things happen....
Old 08-26-2002, 10:32 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Acuraboy: first cool off a bit...

The goupbuy page is a FRAUD... You cannot post Prototype Racing Headers' Dyno and claim it is for OBX racing headers!!!

Also, The first 2 pictures for the claimed OBX headers looks exactly like Comptech's... Please can we see the OXB pcitured from the side where we can see OBX plate? Where is the CARB plate? or is it not CARB exempt?

Finally, Why there is no pictures posted on OBX racing site? Why there is no Date of Availabiity there or even a pre-order?

I am with BNUT and Sidemarker.... until proven otherwise.
Old 08-26-2002, 10:50 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk

After doing some digging I'm not able to find anything regarding these badboys...

Again, show me the results and then I may show ya' da' money...
Old 08-26-2002, 11:15 AM
Rod
Drifting

Originally posted by BNut
...if OBX's headers ARE an EXACT rip off of CompTech's then I can promise you their headers won't be around for long because CompTech will take them to court.
That's what I'm thinking. What are Comptech's comments on this? Wasn't Protoype Racing selling their V6 header design to some other company so that they could market it, maybe this other company is OBX.
Old 08-26-2002, 11:17 AM
Wha Happened?

WERD!
Old 08-26-2002, 11:18 AM
Pro

whatever...i'm not the one shooting off profanities. i'm trying to get us a dyno and some results. my bad.

[/i] The goupbuy page is a FRAUD... You cannot post Prototype Racing Headers' Dyno and claim it is for OBX racing headers!!!
this has been addressed exhaustively at this point

[/i] Also, The first 2 pictures for the claimed OBX headers looks exactly like Comptech's... Please can we see the OXB pcitured from the side where we can see OBX plate? Where is the CARB plate? or is it not CARB exempt?
they're supposed to look like that because they follow the same spec. blow up the pic and u'll notice a lack of "comptech" signage. nonetheless i will try to satisfy ur request.

[/i] Finally, Why there is no pictures posted on OBX racing site? Why there is no Date of Availabiity there or even a pre-order?
there aren't pics for most of the headers listed on OBX's site. only two for 4 cylinders. and there's no pre-order because OBX doesn't sell direct- only through distributors. the expected date of availability is 9/15
Old 08-26-2002, 11:23 AM
Pro

freakin A already. its understood that no one is gonna buy them until they see dynos. for the n-th time. the agreement is that if ten or more people can say that they want these then i will buy one and do the before and after dyno. the retailer is so confident that the dyno will appeal to those people that they will all want one. if the dyno blows chunks then i get to send it back. but for this deal to work and in order to lock a groupbuy price i need to show him that there's interest and some kind of goodfaith agreement to purchase if the dyno satisfies X requirement
Old 08-26-2002, 11:24 AM
Pro

Originally posted by Rod

That's what I'm thinking. What are Comptech's comments on this? Wasn't Protoype Racing selling their V6 header design to some other company so that they could market it, maybe this other company is OBX.
finally!!! someone's catching on
Old 08-26-2002, 11:30 AM
Instructor

freakin A already. its understood that no one is gonna buy them until they see dynos. for the n-th time. the agreement is that if ten or more people can say that they want these then i will buy one and do the before and after dyno. the retailer is so confident that the dyno will appeal to those people that they will all want one. if the dyno blows chunks then i get to send it back. but for this deal to work and in order to lock a groupbuy price i need to show him that there's interest and some kind of goodfaith agreement to purchase if the dyno satisfies X requirement
ok no problem with that, count me in. they will fit on a 2002 TL-S i assume because same engine as CL-S
Old 08-26-2002, 11:37 AM
Stealthy A-CL Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

The goupbuy page is a FRAUD... You cannot post Prototype Racing Headers' Dyno and claim it is for OBX racing headers!!!

Also, The first 2 pictures for the claimed OBX headers looks exactly like Comptech's... Please can we see the OXB pcitured from the side where we can see OBX plate? Where is the CARB plate? or is it not CARB exempt?

Finally, Why there is no pictures posted on OBX racing site? Why there is no Date of Availabiity there or even a pre-order?

Those are the ambiguities I was referring to in an earlier post...

And, if these are Comptech knock-offs, why state something like "THIS HEADER WILL MAKE COMPTECH LOOK LIKE DIRT!"?

Comptech has proven R&D, quality, engineering, fitment and most importantly performance. The only issue seems to be pricing.

Once the info/dyno dust settles, who wouldn't be interested in headers offering 90%+ of the performance at 50% of the price point of Comptechs? But as it is now, there's too little real information.
Old 08-26-2002, 11:46 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys,

Comptech is aware of this already. I was on the phone with them this morning. The price on the Comptech is staying where it is ~$1250 list.

Comptech is NOT pricing product where "the market will bear", they are priced based on what it costs to build. Comptech does not cut any corners when making thier products, if it takes another week to produce "X", then it takes another week. They are not going to tell the welders to "hurry up" just so the product can be out a couple days earlier. Most of you have seen the build quality of Comptech and know what I am talking about.

Comptech is a proven tuner, with proven results and have been in this market, V6 market, for over 5 years already. OBX comes along, copies thier design and then some guy states they are better, blah, blah, blah. I don't hold much respect for a company that cannot design and build their own product, but copy the hard work of others. Then there is the marketing tactics of this guy at SS, "these will make Comptech headers look like dirt", when was the last time you made your product look better by disparaging others? (the design you copied)

In the end, I am confident in the Comptech quality and standards they have set in this market.

Sorry for the rant.....

Dean Baty
Old 08-26-2002, 11:47 AM

I agree, if your interested just put your name in already and let acuraboy attempt to get a deal for us... let's not beat a dead horse you guys... personally, who cares what picture it is or where it came from, if they are willing to send a finished piece to someone for dyno purposes and he can return it if it sucks, plus you are not out any money at the point, what more do you want???

Quick Reply: Headers for $500, would you buy it??