Old 08-26-2002, 11:51 AM
:)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what dean said
Old 08-26-2002, 11:55 AM
How much for the Redhead?

Sorry Dean...

Your right, no doubt about the Comptech quality issue or performance... second to none for sure. And I would agree that some of the "wording" in this group buy is very questionable...

But clearly there should be some company out there willing to make a similar product at a different price point, those who demand the best will save up the bucks and still buy Comptech, those who don't, will go with a lessor priced product and be willing to sacrifice certain aspects to do so...

But my point is this, we can talk about this thing until the cows come home, let's just get one, put it on, and see whether this dog will hunt or not.. right now its all just bs and none of us, other than acuraboy really knows much about this new product. It's all just opinions...
Old 08-26-2002, 11:56 AM

And, BTW, should I choose to get one,

Guess who will be putting it on....
Old 08-26-2002, 11:57 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
robbra,

:P
Old 08-26-2002, 12:05 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Mooooooo Moooooooo

And so what happens when the dyno comes back and it's everything we had hoped for and more? Should we just all run out and get a set? And find out two months down the road a weld is failing, or two years down the road???

As much as I so want to just say 'OK, let's get it on.', I'm going to wait and see what happens. It's one thing to be able to produce a product, but what about it's durability? I for one wouldn't want to put in a set of headers and find out a couple months down the road that I've gotta take em' out because a weld went bad or something...

I don't want to take away any of the hard work put forth by Acuraboy or the maker of the headers. I'm just someone who wants to see it first and get some feedback before I drop the coin.
Old 08-26-2002, 12:13 PM
Pro

i can totally appreciate ur concern Scrib. completely valid points that i will let OBX address. i don't make'em...i just want one
sux that they won't be ready till mid-september
Old 08-26-2002, 12:14 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Okay.. Acuraboy..

Since you need 10 interested potential buyers to get you a set for dyno.... Add me to the list.

This only means that I am willing to pay $499 (Shipped) for the OBX racing header if they do perform like Comptech's and the Build and TIG weilding Quality is top notch!

Keep us imformed.
Old 08-26-2002, 12:16 PM

Scrib,

Point well taken, and I agree with you, I sure as hell wouldn't want to dump hard earned money into something I'm not sure of either, that's just good sense...

But at this point, we don't even have anything in our hands to look at or even test..

And, besides, if A-boy's recomendation is wrong, I'm sure, since he is in Jersey, that a quick phone call to "one of the family" would address his misguided actions in a hurry.... just kidding..

Peace
Old 08-26-2002, 12:18 PM
Pro

av6.com
Old 08-26-2002, 12:19 PM
Rod
Drifting

Originally posted by Deansbluesi
...Comptech is aware of this already. I was on the phone with them this morning. The price on the Comptech is staying where it is ~$1250 list.
So these headers really are using Comptech's header design? Are they taking any action against OBX?
Banned

guys, first of all, we dont need a group of anyone to get these headers, the guy is offering that price (495.00 shipped) on an individual basis....he already sent me a paypal invoice...and im not part of any "group buy" secondly, he has given me a phone number for OBX...he said to ask for a gentleman named Steve. the number is 650-873-8800 someone should call and talk to Steve (apparently, he is the headers guy over there) and get some solid, legit information. when you talk to steve, tell him you got the number from Greg at SSAUTO.
Happy CL-S Pilot

That is great... Now what if OBX racing made a top notch product that performs as good as Comptech for $499 shipped?

Does Comptech gets screwed? or will it stop making the headers since virtually everyone will get the OBX's?

Originally posted by Deansbluesi
Guys,

Comptech is aware of this already. I was on the phone with them this morning. The price on the Comptech is staying where it is ~$1250 list.

Comptech is NOT pricing product where "the market will bear", they are priced based on what it costs to build. Comptech does not cut any corners when making thier products, if it takes another week to produce "X", then it takes another week. They are not going to tell the welders to "hurry up" just so the product can be out a couple days earlier. Most of you have seen the build quality of Comptech and know what I am talking about.

Comptech is a proven tuner, with proven results and have been in this market, V6 market, for over 5 years already. OBX comes along, copies thier design and then some guy states they are better, blah, blah, blah. I don't hold much respect for a company that cannot design and build their own product, but copy the hard work of others. Then there is the marketing tactics of this guy at SS, "these will make Comptech headers look like dirt", when was the last time you made your product look better by disparaging others? (the design you copied)

In the end, I am confident in the Comptech quality and standards they have set in this market.

Sorry for the rant.....

Dean Baty
Old 08-26-2002, 12:25 PM
Pro

bad news people

looks like OBX is not CARBed nor do they have plans to be. and no plans on the 6MT either.
Old 08-26-2002, 12:29 PM
Pro

Originally posted by jimcol711
guys, first of all, we dont need a group of anyone to get these headers, the guy is offering that price (495.00 shipped) on an individual basis....he already sent me a paypal invoice...and im not part of any "group buy" secondly, he has given me a phone number for OBX....
JESUS CHRIST!!! no one is saying anything about the price of the group buy!!!

everyone just wants more proof that's all. just more information and that's what i'm trying to procure here.

i'm not saying that if u don't buy in my groupbuy u don't get the 500 price. DAMN IT WHY DON"T U PEOPLE READ?!

what i am saying is that if i can show legitimate interest to the retailer i can have the security of a returnable set. i never said anything more or less than that. this is what i'm trying to achieve.
Old 08-26-2002, 12:31 PM
Pro

BTW...
material is ur basic 304 stainless, TIG weld and so on.

the folks at OBX are not what u'd call advertising people..
Old 08-26-2002, 12:33 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Ugg.... No CARB = No sale for me. I gotta pass emissions...
Old 08-26-2002, 12:35 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Scrib
Ugg.... No CARB = No sale for me. I gotta pass emissions...
so does this mean that our cars will not pass emissions test with thes specific headers on? bcs they dont have a carborator. and what is 6mt?
Old 08-26-2002, 12:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
what a clusterfawk

Old 08-26-2002, 12:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

no carb....that's a problem
Old 08-26-2002, 12:43 PM
Team Owner

I’m gonna call up this place and tell them I’m an attorney representing Comptech just so I FUCK UP this deal for you guys.

BTW...I’m not upset with this news because they don’t fit the 6-Speed anyway.

Shawn S
Old 08-26-2002, 12:45 PM

No emissions in Florida, so not that big of a deal... I'm already running a straight pipe instead of the cat... although swapping out the headers would be a much bigger deal than the few bolts on the cat...
Old 08-26-2002, 12:46 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Cl2TLS

so does this mean that our cars will not pass emissions test with thes specific headers on? bcs they dont have a carborator. and what is 6mt?
It doesn't mean they won't it just means they are not garaunteed. Also, our cars have fuel injection, not carberators(sp?). 6mt = 6 speed manual transmission.
Old 08-26-2002, 12:57 PM
Pro

CARB - California Air Resource Board.

a CARB # just says that the aftermarket product ppaid a group of people to say that it doesn't hurt the environment. there's more to it than that but mainly that the product is emissions friendly.
Old 08-26-2002, 01:00 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by acuraboy

a CARB # just says that the aftermarket product ppaid a group of people to say that it doesn't hurt the environment. there's more to it than that but mainly that the product is emissions friendly.
so will it be ok for use in va?
Old 08-26-2002, 01:03 PM
Pro

guys, first of all, we dont need a group of anyone to get these headers, the guy is offering that price (495.00 shipped) on an individual basis....he already sent me a paypal invoice...and im not part of any "group buy" secondly, he has given me a phone number for OBX...he said to should call and talk to Steve (apparently, he is the headers guy over there) and get some solid, legit information. when you talk to steve, tell him you got the number from Greg at SSAUTO.

u should really know better than to give out a phone number like that kid.

not only do u bombard this guys phone with redundant questions but then u also strain the relationship between the manufacturer and the retailer. i sincerely doubt greg told u to post steve's number like that. really bad move
Old 08-26-2002, 01:03 PM
Banned

uhh, WTF, whats with the CARB thing, i mean, its a frickin steel pipe we are talking about....unless you are in california where they are strict as all hell about it, who cares?? the car will still pass emissions in any state provided you still have the cat and mufflers on there...are comptechs CARB certified?? if so, then these should be too, because if they are a copy of comptechs, then whats the big difference???
Old 08-26-2002, 01:09 PM
Stealthy A-CL Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Doesn't matter in NJ, inspection's a joke...
Old 08-26-2002, 01:10 PM

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

- gotta grease the right palms....
Old 08-26-2002, 01:12 PM
Administrator Alumnus

I dunno what the difference is, but I'm not going to spend money on these headers if they don't have a CARB #. Again, call me paranoid... Unless someone can explain to me if having a CARB number is a bunch of bologna.

I'm guessing it's important to have one, from what I understand...
Old 08-26-2002, 01:13 PM
Pro

Originally posted by robbra
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

- gotta grease the right palms....
i see u have been schooled in the jersey school of law and ethics
Old 08-26-2002, 01:13 PM
Banned

CARB is only for California.....for any other state, who gives a rats ass
Old 08-26-2002, 01:15 PM
Pro

Originally posted by IntegraVT
Doesn't matter in NJ, inspection's a joke...
do u go to a private or state inspection? i've been tagged for the dumbest shit by the state. its like 100 bucks for inspection up near u isn't it?
Old 08-26-2002, 01:15 PM

CARB - Communists Against Righteous Buttkickin Horsepower...

.... somethin like that, anyway

:flamer:
Old 08-26-2002, 01:19 PM
Banned

Okay...I've been reading through this entire rant and let me give my take on this. Btw, I have Comptechs and can care less about what OBX does.

OBX is a lower end manufacturer, what a lot of you like to refer to as rice products. They make okay stuff...you get what you pay for. I guarantee you it will not be TIG welded as that is expensive and time-consuming. Also, CARB pending does not mean CARB exempt...and, yes, it'll probably pass emissions, but they don't wanna pay the money to get the number for it because they would have to get it for the AV6, TL , and CL.

To tell you the truth, $500 is really cheap. If they are using Comptechs design, how can it have a better dyno? It's not, if they did change some of the design...I'll bet it has a worse dyno as I don't think OBX has a flow machine like Comptech to help with designing products. Even if it has less gain than a CT header, the price more than makes up for it.

So, all you have to ask yourself is if you wanna pay $500 (which I probably would) and get a decent set of headers or pay $1100 ( and get the best on the market)....that is a big diff....
Old 08-26-2002, 01:19 PM
Pro

CARB is only for California.....for any other state, who gives a rats ass
actually if something has a CARB# its almost by default "50 state legal". this is to the extent that other states don't even have their own version of CARB#'s. they figure that if the most stringent state says its ok then who are we to argue. so the practice is now that "legitimate" inspection shops "are supposed to" check for CARB#s on aftermarket engine modifications. California might be a strict one but Jersey ain't tooo far behind. but again, laws in ur area may vary.
Old 08-26-2002, 01:40 PM
Stealthy A-CL Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

do u go to a private or state inspection? i've been tagged for the dumbest shit by the state. its like 100 bucks for inspection up near u isn't it?
Nawh, state inspection facility in Secaucus/Jersey City... They don't even pop the hood and only do a visual check with a portable mirror to make sure there's a cat.
Old 08-26-2002, 02:38 PM
Banned

Did you guys ever consider that Comptech might have paid OBX to make the header design and Comptech stamped there name on it to sell it. You are just not paying for the big name brand Comptech, just OBX.

Stillen does this on alot of Nissan parts, and so does many other manufactures.
Old 08-26-2002, 02:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Wow

These posts a couple pages back were like savage dogs fighting over a piece of meat...

It is a damn shame you guys passed up on the deal a month ago that DEANSBLUESI (Dean BATEY) had..CT headers for $999.00 shipped to your door. I feel for you fellows, NOW I know everyone doesn't have that kind of money.. but for god sakes, you drive 30K automobile and you cry like 500 bucks is gonna make or break you... Pathetic... I know you guys are looking for a good deal, but the rule of thumb like others have posted, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.. and true CT has taken the market on parts for our cars, but I am so happy that it is ACURA RACE DIVISION, and the dealership doesn't give me shit about the parts.
Smitty
Old 08-26-2002, 03:01 PM
Pro

Originally posted by SilverBullet
Did you guys ever consider that Comptech might have paid OBX to make the header design and Comptech stamped there name on it to sell it. You are just not paying for the big name brand Comptech, just OBX.

very nice point there SilverBullet
Old 08-26-2002, 04:13 PM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

Originally posted by SilverBullet

CompTech has already stated a number of times on their bulletin board that their headers are made in house so that idea is out.

Every header that comes out of CompTech is welded by hand and then inspected by hand to smooth out any rough spots.

They aren't shi##ing these things out from a machine...

CompTech's springs are/were made by an outside company (to CompTech's specs) mainly because of the expense of the machinery involved.

Quick Reply: Headers for $500, would you buy it??