Guess how much GAS you can pump after the Auto-off Click.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2001, 11:37 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guess how much GAS you can pump after the Auto-off Click.....

Just wanted to see how much GAS I have really when I hit the red light....

Usually I pump 13-14.5 Gals Max. This time, I wnated to Top it off AFTER The Auto-Clik top-off. I kep pumping in short burst till I saw The GAS reaching the top rim....

I pumped a FULL 1 Galons over the Auto-Off swtich a Total of 15.3 Galons, So, the reserve is somewhere between 2-3 Galons!

With 15.3 Galons I am driving some 350 miles.....
Old 10-22-2001, 11:53 PM
It's Go-Time.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's a good tip, especially when going for a LONG road trip!
Old 10-22-2001, 11:55 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
it totally depends on the gas pump dood.

don't everyone go tryin this or your gonna spill gas all over

If I try to top it off at any of the Mobil's I frequent it spits all over the car!
Old 10-23-2001, 12:20 AM
*Hella* isn't a word.

Given that we got a 3.2litre Engine, is it safe to say that some of the gas may actually be in the engine itself while the bulk is in the tank and some in reserve? Maybe thats why u can pump so much, this time around. Results may vary?
Old 10-23-2001, 12:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Hehehe...

Gas does wonders for ones paint job as well Definetly not something I would want to test
Old 10-23-2001, 07:08 AM
Banned

Re: Guess how much GAS you can pump after the Auto-off Click.....

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk

Usually I pump 13-14.5 Gals Max. This time, I wnated to Top it off AFTER The Auto-Clik top-off. I kep pumping in short burst till I saw The GAS reaching the top rim....

I pumped a FULL 1 Galons over the Auto-Off swtich a Total of 15.3 Galons, So, the reserve is somewhere between 2-3 Galons!

Carefull when you do that. With my old car I did the same thing any the gas squirted all over my Dockers... Some knucklehead could have a cig butt on the ground... Stuff like that happens.
Old 10-23-2001, 07:48 AM
'Cooter

once in a blue moon i spill, but it's very little...after doing the bulk of the fillup and get the first click, i look at how much money i've spent so far...i can actually pump an extra 50 cents worth before the "danger zone" of spilling...it's kind of a fool-proof plan b/c im always looking for round numbers, so if the first click is at $13.72, ill pump another 28 cents...if it's at $14.51, i can squeeze another 49 cents out, but i do it slowly to avoid backflow issues...JUST BE CAREFUL of ONE thing...for most pumps these days, when u get to within 25 cents of a pre-set amount u wanna spend, the pump automatically slows down the amount it's dispersing...this WILL NOT, i repeat, WILL NOT allow the clicking mechanism to function, and before u know it, u're leaking like a SOB...this has happened to me before, and it's embarrassing, frustrating (b/c now i gotta redo that section of the car), and not worth the trouble...and as a safety precaution, whenever i top off the tank, as i pull out of the station, i WOT to use up some excess...and that's a typical trip to the Mobil station for me...BTW, after having the car since July 30, 2000, i have NEVER used anything other than Mobil Super Unleaded...dunno if trying something like Sunoco Ultra 94 is gonna make any difference.
Old 10-23-2001, 08:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: Guess how much GAS you can pump after the Auto-off Click.....

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk

this is something you peeps should NOT be doing. it can cause an error on your computers and give you a check engine condition.
i also suggest that you do not let your tanks go below a quarter tank as you will get the bottom crao that lies in your tank that can clog your gas filter or injectors.
Old 10-23-2001, 09:42 AM
Race Director

What exactly are the benefits of pumping this extra gasoline into the tank?
Old 10-23-2001, 09:47 AM
Banned

To drive the point home... I just saw some dipstick holding a cigar while pumping gas... I mean... duh! Is nicotime that addictive you'll risk the lives of twenty people?
Old 10-23-2001, 10:52 AM

Premium gas in Iowa is only 91 octane, if you are lucky you could find 92.
Old 10-23-2001, 12:40 PM
on bin laden

thats why when i drive to omaha from minneapolis, I dont stop

i've got it down though ... i can make it in 4:45 nonstop ... 365 miles ... i think i set a new record up to fargo this past weekend, 250 miles in just under 3 hours ...

i get pissed when i gotta use 92.
Old 10-23-2001, 12:55 PM
Race Director

Yeah Soopa is right on that one. Everytime I go to an Exxon or Mobil once you get that click you better stop cuase for some reason that's the end. At other gas stations I have been able to go for almost half a gallon more. Either way I just let it off when it click cause it ain't worth cleaning up a spill and looking like an idiot.
Old 10-23-2001, 01:21 PM
Learn to swim.

Originally posted by HellaWhat
Given that we got a 3.2litre Engine, is it safe to say that some of the gas may actually be in the engine itself while the bulk is in the tank and some in reserve? Maybe thats why u can pump so much, this time around. Results may vary?
The size of the engine has nill to do with how much gasoline is in the car though not in the tank. At most, there is a half pint or so in the fuel system, lines, rails, etc. There would not be anymore gasoline "in the engine" if the displacement were 9.8 liters. Except for negligible differences in the diameter of certain components in the fuel system, measuring somewhere around a few ounces. (Fuel lines, rails, etc.)

Originally posted by BSK181
it can cause an error on your computers and give you a check engine condition.
i also suggest that you do not let your tanks go below a quarter tank as you will get the bottom crao that lies in your tank that can clog your gas filter or injectors.
This should not cause any errors in the engine managment system. How would it? What would filling the tank to maximum capacity do, to cause the engine to perform irregulalry? As long as the vents are not blocked, eveything should function normally.

Also, how is it that any particulate (or disolved) matter in the gas tank of an automobile is going to be able to settle on the bottom when in use? From the turns, bumps and sloshing the mixture is going to be almost homogenous. Any material large enough, or heavy/dense enough to not be suspended in the gasoline is not going to pose much of a threat to the fuel system and will most likely sit on the bottom of the tank until removed.

The reason you should be wary of letting your tanks reach such low levels is because of condensation on the inside of the tank wall, contaminating the gasoline with water. -Which is suspended in the gasoline and a threat to the fuel system.
Old 10-23-2001, 03:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If anyone ever does any mileage tests, this is a pretty good reason to use the same EXACT pump to do the test...

I've already tried and seen a wild amount of difference in the amount you can fill up after the click off, and this at the very same station, but just on a different pump.

Don't Top Off! Liquid gasoline will block the line…
http://www.husky.com/handbook.htm#Don't

$.02