Giving the CLS6 Some Much Needed Care

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 08:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Giving the CLS6 Some Much Needed Care

Yo! Just wanted to share some recent happenings with my 6 speed CL.

So after a few years of some undue neglect, I realized my 6-Speed was in pretty bad shape. Clearcoat peeling on the back bumper, interior was getting torn up, and the mechanical issues were creeping up from all angles! I had a LOUD Whirring noise coming from the wheels, major vibration when WOT, leaks here and there, and just overall sloshy feeling I guess. Not to mention the mouse that destroyed my Knock Sensor a few months back. Factory headlight ballasts are long gone, but I keep having bad luck with the aftermarkets too.

So anyway, This past weekend I gave the CL some TLC. New wheel bearings, CV axles, lower ball joints, and just purchased a set of 04-08 TL Wheels. Those are due to deliver tomorrow and will be promptly installed! I also have a date with the dealership on 8/26 to have the timing belt job done as well as the side motor mount, power steering pump, and oil pump o-ring seals replaced. I've been fortunate enough to get a raise and have been able to afford all of this, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything big.

Do any of you higher mileage 6-speed owners recommend any type of service or fix as a MUST for 6-speeds over... say.. 120,000 miles? I'm at 126,000. To my knowledge, the Diff fluid/trans/radiator fluid has never been changed, it's on the factory clutch. I've replaced the spark plugs (when I did the knock sensor), but besides that and the stuff mentioned above, it's had ONLY oil changes and tire rotations in the past 5+ years.

I gotta say... I purchased mine in 2006 and what a great deal! Payed it off last year and couldn't be happier. This car has been reliable, fun to drive, and stylish as hell... Still having trouble finding a better looking coupe on the road!

Well, thanks for the read, let me know if you have any suggestions on what repairs or maintenance I NEED to do or should do next. Also, aside from the TL wheels, I have the comptech lowering springs and Icebox on the vehicle. I would really really really LOVE to find a set of factory looking/fitting fog lights for this vehicle in an HID setup, but I think those Accord ones look fugly... Any ideas? Peace!
Old 09-17-2012, 08:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Also, any ATL weekly/monthly meets still going on?
Old 09-18-2012, 07:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
They should drain & replace the coolant with the timing belt change. Remind them of that.
Trans is only a fluid change since it's a manual. There's a reformulated Honda manual trans fluid that should be used. Some have also used GM's Syncromesh.
Good bet the front engine mount is toast or will be. Also the trans mounts. Replace them. The side mount is pretty easy for a DIY fix.

Good luck....If it was me I wouldn't sink all that $ into the car. You said you got a raise, I'd sell the cl in it's current condition & add $ & buy something much newer with less miles....But that's me.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 209 Likes on 188 Posts
Seems like you've been telling a lot of members to sell their CLs lately, fuzzy. Just an observation.

OP: The coolant will be drained for the timing belt change. Make sure the dealership does the complete 105k service. Changing all the fluids should be part of the 105k service. Just see it as a place to start over fresh with your CL.
The following 4 users liked this post by aznboi2424:
AustinTaper (09-19-2012), Catfisha (09-19-2012), mikebikelife (09-22-2012), MTEAZY (09-19-2012)
Old 09-19-2012, 07:58 AM
Registered Member

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by aznboi2424
Seems like you've been telling a lot of members to sell their CLs lately, fuzzy. Just an observation.

OP: The coolant will be drained for the timing belt change. Make sure the dealership does the complete 105k service. Changing all the fluids should be part of the 105k service. Just see it as a place to start over fresh with your CL.
I agree, this is getting annoying too, especially coming from a moderator on an Acura forum. Just because you've moved on, doesn't mean everyone should just dump it to buy a newer Accord...which has been said over and over again.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:37 AM
Senior Moderator

And? Just makes financial sense.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

how does spending $20K-$30K on a new(er) car make more sense than spending $1000-1500 on repairs that will help ensure the car will run another 5 years / 100K miles? The 6 speed is extremely solid and with regular maintenance, there's no reason why this car can't run for 200-300K miles, as proven by countless members on this forum.

please explain this logic, because I'd much rather save $15-25K in car payments the next 5 years, if all I need to do is spend a grand or two to do the timing belt, clutch and brakes. Besides these items, there's just not much else to do besides the mounts you mentioned.

I think it just comes off as you've moved on and this is how you keep validating your decision, by telling others to do the same. This is a CL forum, for people who like and want to keep their CL's, not just sell them to move on...

Not trying to rip on you fuzzy, but you have to admit you give this 'dump the car' advice a bit too much, considering you're a moderator on an Acura CL forum
The following users liked this post:
azeezp13 (09-20-2012)

Trending Topics

Old 09-19-2012, 10:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Not trying to rip on you fuzzy, but you have to admit you give this 'dump the car' advice a bit too much, considering you're a moderator on an Acura CL forum
Mod status doesn't change the way I think.
You as a member have the option to move along & ignore my posts if you wish. And yeah I do take it as you ripping on me. Honestly I think it is disrespectful given the amount of time I'm here, all the advise I've given, the hours of DIY things, & 1st tests of products I have contributed over the years.

As to me moving on.. If I could have found a decent Acura in my area I would have jumped on it. Didn't turn out that way.

OP sorry some need to crude threads up with their BS.....
Old 09-19-2012, 11:03 AM
Registered Member

ok, as a member I also have the option to not just move on, but rather voice my opinion that your advice stating it makes more financial sense to buy a new car is also a load of BS. You did nothing to prove your point.

Sorry you feel the need to 'crude up' the OP's thread, where he was looking for advice on fixing and keeping the car, by telling him to just dump it.

I'm not taking away anything from the help you provide, but ever since you sold your car, your tone is always 'Sell, Sell, Sell' and it's getting old.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:18 AM
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 249 Posts
I'm interested in knowing what needs to be done too.

I just picked up a 2003 CL-S MT as a daily driver to replace a 1996 Honda Accord that is going on to continue service with a relative who needs transportation.

To me, it makes financial sense to have an old car as a daily driver. I have a 2009 370Z that was getting torn up on the commute (scrapes because its so low, picked up a bunch of dings and chips from the parking lots). Not only that but Z's are notorious for eating up rear tires because of aggressive toe.

The 105k service on the CL is supposed to be around $1,000? That is almost one set of tires for the Z ($1040 before mount + balance).
Old 09-19-2012, 11:58 AM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
You Can Get It Done For 6-700.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:05 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I would like to know what he did to fix the vibration at wide open throttle cause I have the same problem then I replaced my axles and it helped but the vibration is still there at acceleration
Old 09-20-2012, 09:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
And? Just makes financial sense.
Might have made financial sense for you, but in my case, I just finished 5 years of having a car payment every month. I'd like to enjoy the spoils of my payed off loan.

Dropping 2K for all of the repairs is much, but I plan on driving it for another 200k+ miles and then keeping it as a back up vehicle for the future.

Thanks for the advice tho, I'm having them do the side mount cus the labor is free with the timing belt service. Any idea what the front mount labor might set me back?
Old 09-20-2012, 09:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by termo001
I would like to know what he did to fix the vibration at wide open throttle cause I have the same problem then I replaced my axles and it helped but the vibration is still there at acceleration
Axles, wheel bearings, and lower ball joints all replaced... Vibration is gone, but still threw the new wheels on for good measure. Upper joints looked OK and I figure they are under a slightly lesser load while driving so I didn't replace them.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Lastly, for anyone looking to buy a CL 6-speed, I can tell you that my experience has been very good. Less than average maintenance, very good reliability, and decent gas mileage. It's quick and fun to drive.. About my only complaint is the interior (leather is torn in one spot, dash is a bit warped, and the seat belts dont retract very well.

Thanks all for the advice.
The following users liked this post:
NalgeneCavvy (09-21-2012)