General

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 07:46 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
General

Great stuff,

As a new member of this CL site, must admit there is alot of sweet info about our cars. However, seems to be alot of folks moving on to other cars because of the tranny, this, that, and the other. All I got to say is "WHATEVER". I 'm hanging in there with my 2001. For crying out loud, I'll wear Acura's ass out with a 100K warranty. In any case, do have some pertinent questions about mine. Has anyone experienced a buzzing noise coming from the fuel tank area, maybe the fuel pump, when the gas tank is low on fuel ? Seems to be more pronounced when it is above 80 degrees or so. Dealer said it is normal. Just doesn't sound right to me. Also, seems the dash lights at night are too dull. Is there a brighter bulb that can be used ? Thinking about getting CT headers and keeping the stock exhaust. Anyone have this setup ? Would like to know how loud it is...........Getting older and really do not like loud noises, however love horsepower.

VBCLS
Old 05-29-2003, 07:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome!

First off, lots of people just don't want to deal with the hassle of having to get a new tranny, even if it is under warranty.

There is a dial to the left of your steering wheel that adjusts the brightness of the dash lights, make sure it's all the way up. I actually like mine a little less bright than the highest setting.

Headers really don't make any more noise than stock, not that I noticed anyway. A cold air intake will, however, give your car a nice growl.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:00 PM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: General

Got an '03 CLS 6sp with CT springs/sways/intake/headers and stock exhaust. With the CT intake and headers, car has a little more pronounced engine note when you get on it and a slight droning sound at certain RPMs (2000 - 2500). But I love the sound. I highly recommend doing both the CT intake and exhaust. The really compliment each other in performance gain.

Originally posted by VBCLS
Great stuff,

As a new member of this CL site, must admit there is alot of sweet info about our cars. However, seems to be alot of folks moving on to other cars because of the tranny, this, that, and the other. All I got to say is "WHATEVER". I 'm hanging in there with my 2001. For crying out loud, I'll wear Acura's ass out with a 100K warranty. In any case, do have some pertinent questions about mine. Has anyone experienced a buzzing noise coming from the fuel tank area, maybe the fuel pump, when the gas tank is low on fuel ? Seems to be more pronounced when it is above 80 degrees or so. Dealer said it is normal. Just doesn't sound right to me. Also, seems the dash lights at night are too dull. Is there a brighter bulb that can be used ? Thinking about getting CT headers and keeping the stock exhaust. Anyone have this setup ? Would like to know how loud it is...........Getting older and really do not like loud noises, however love horsepower.

VBCLS
Old 05-29-2003, 08:17 PM
Not Fast Enough

CONGRATS its a great car, the first mod you should do is get a comptech icebox CAI www.comptechusa.com it ads 14 horse at the wheels. I hear the comptech headers are awsome thats what my next mod is

good luck!
Old 05-29-2003, 09:06 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
the dash lights when adjusted to the brightest are DAMN BRIGHT... so i gonna assume you dont know bout that knob.

as for the buzzing sound... do you hear it only from outside the car?
Old 05-29-2003, 09:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
They are BRIGHT. First time I drove the car at night I was scrambling to find the knob. Much better now
Old 05-29-2003, 09:54 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
That's weird, my dash lights are not that bright compared to other Acuras I've had. (yes I know about the dim control), and I've heard others say the same thing. Also, the light in the recirc button can't be seen at all in the daytime. I think Acura felt the white faces would brighten it up so the lights were set lower. I'd like it a little brighter, at least to have the option of brighter.
My control seems like it needs another quarter of a turn up.
Why do you guys think the dash is so bright, it's subdued.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:01 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny, I've always turned all my dash lights to a setting just barely above off. I don't like the dash bright at all when driving in the dark. I think it's too much of a distraction from the road ahead of me.
Old 05-31-2003, 01:04 PM
2nd Gear

Appreciate everyones input. Seems most come away with the dash lights being bright. With mine, I am still left thinking they are too dull, and yes the wheel adjuster has been to the max. Sounds like I will be paying the dealer a visit.

Ok, sounds like the CT headers are in. Never knew the CT CAI would give you 14 HP. Thats pretty decent gains. I'll be having that in the shopping cart soon, first gotta double check that 14hp gain.

I should of been more clear about my "buzzing noise" from the gas tank area. What I did not say is that the car is parked and not running. So, with a half a tank or less, I'll start hearing an intermitent buzzing sound with the time that I'm hear it, getting shorter and shorter but never complety stops. Anyway, if there is anyone that has heard what I am talking about, need a sanity check before I go to the dealer. Thats another good thing that this site offers, is feedback from other CL owners to help us know if the dealer is trying to feed you some @#%@#.

Soon, when I can wear this rubber out, will be getting some new wheels and tires. Thinking 18" X 7.5", maybe some Konig's Imagine, with the opal finish. If anyone has this combo would love to see some pics. One other thing, I have alot of you talk about wheel offsets, understand what it is, but is there any rule of thumb of an 18" wheel ?

VBCLS
Old 05-31-2003, 02:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by VBCLS
One other thing, I have alot of you talk about wheel offsets, understand what it is, but is there any rule of thumb of an 18" wheel ?

VBCLS
get a wheel with an offset of 45 or above to be safe. I think some have gone with 42, but you may have some rubbing.
Old 05-31-2003, 08:10 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
An intermittent buzzing is not abnormal for the car.WHat you are hearing is the fuel system compensating for changing pressure inside the fuel tank.In an effort to control evaporative emissions the car is equipped with devices that trap evaporating fuel.This equipment is by necessity a closed system ,however changes in pressure inside the tank must be accomodated so there are numerous valves etc designed to do this .Some cars are bit more audible than others but it is not an indication of any fault.Jens
Old 06-01-2003, 07:21 AM
Masshole

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Slimey
Funny, I've always turned all my dash lights to a setting just barely above off. I don't like the dash bright at all when driving in the dark. I think it's too much of a distraction from the road ahead of me.
Don't drive an '03 Infiniti I35, then. Holy crap, are those things bright!! The entire car is lit up by the dash lights. Although, it is a nice bluish white.