Follow up to my transmission Woes...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2001, 09:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Follow up to my transmission Woes...

OK folks I wanted to keep everyone in the loop about my transmission issues, It did end on a good note. I had my transmission replaced under warranty, but was told by the Acura rep this was a one time deal and done under Acura's 'Good Faith'. If my transmission fails again I guess I am SOL (or better have some serious proof it was mechanical and a defect).

I've deduced a couple of things from this;

A) If you plan on going to the 1/4 mile to test out that 1/4 time be prepared should your transmission fail to not have it covered under warranty. Appparently that traction additive (can't remmember the damned name of it) is some sticky shit and no matter how hard you wash the car chances are you will have residue left over that they can use to prove that the warranty is now Null and Void.

B) These transmissions were not built to take much more than 'Regular driving', I was thinking about a SC but now I don't think so. I'm thinking it will eat the tranny alive and spit out the leftovers and eat that for breakfast. The transmission is definetly going to need a 'Bullet Proofing' to handle th type of Torque that we're wanting out of the SC.

Oh well I guess I was the one that god decided to choose as a 'Martyr' for the cause

I got a new tranny out of it, and I think they are sending my old one to get broken down and overhauled to see why it failed.

------------------
01'
Black/Ebony CLS
Old 05-31-2001, 09:47 PM
Pro

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JSuppi:
...... I think they are sending my old one to get broken down and overhauled to see why it failed.

</font>
..will they let you know what went wrong with it??

------------------
Coming soon: 97-99 Eclipse GST/GSX turbo, conv, leather
Current ride: 91 Dodge Colt.... no p/w, no p/l, no AC..POS
Preiovus ride: 2001 CL-S, Black, dropped 2 inches, stock
Old 05-31-2001, 09:48 PM
Instructor

That's bullshit! End of discussion!!!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2001, 09:49 PM
Pro

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rwwlaw:
That's bullshit! End of discussion!!!!!!!!</font>
huh?? WTF?

------------------
Old 05-31-2001, 09:57 PM
Advanced

I agree, that is bullshit, a year old car's transmission should not fail that quickly...I can see if you drop it from neutral to drive at every light....but the car should be built to take more then just "normal driving"...ok, so Acura expected only an 80 year old woman to be the only driver of a type S...come on Acura!!!

------------------
2001 Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
also 97 Dakar yellow M3 and 99 Tacoma
Old 05-31-2001, 10:04 PM
Instructor

There is NO possible way they can prove that the car was at a track! I have been to E-Town many times and NEVER had a problem with track deposits on my cars! If you told them, well that's another story!
Old 05-31-2001, 10:05 PM
Drifting

Ive heard that one time..good will bullshit from Acura before. In their eyes.you were at fault. I wouldnt take that as an answer considering you didnt do anything wrong.

Spiro

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
Random Technology Cat
RED AEM CAI
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 05-31-2001, 10:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
John, how many times did you take your car to the track?
That's a REALYY WEAK position for acura to take.
They give us 260 horses and do not expect us to use them???

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Go some stuff
14.302 @98.69 Carlsbad Raceway 4/29/01
My Car

CLpower has a 1st Gen 3.0 CL
Old 05-31-2001, 10:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike:
John, how many times did you take your car to the track?
That's a REALYY WEAK position for acura to take.
They give us 260 horses and do not expect us to use them???

</font>
I agree completely. Even if you went to the track 7 or 8 times this past year and brake torqued for say, 10 times each visit this is no excuse for a failed transmission.

I hope this is an exception and not the rule. I'm gonna be watching for tranny problems like a hawk and if they start popping up very frequently this car is history!!

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type S
Comptech Springs, Sway Bars & Headers
AEM CAI
PIAA 19169
Old 05-31-2001, 10:49 PM
Fight On SC!

exactamundo. honda/acura is always bragging about their cars being race inspired this and formula one technology that. do they expect us to just take their word for it? hells no. that's the reason why i bought the freaken car and i'm going to rip shit up from time to time.if you say your engines are formula one derived, then your engines better back that sh*t up. f*ck that one time deal bullsh*t. if my tranny needs to be replaced again before my warranty expires, acura is picking up the bill.

------------------
2001 silver cl type s

[This message has been edited by superdds (edited 05-31-2001).]
Old 06-01-2001, 01:31 AM
Pro

i dont think the honda/acura trannys are that well built. i even think its one of the weakest links the car has. the motor is strong and could take a banging but the tranny is weak. i've seen american SUV's drop trannys by the second year.

------------------
Old 06-01-2001, 03:27 AM
Drifting

OK folks I wanted to keep everyone in the loop about my transmission issues, It did end on a good note. I had my transmission replaced under warranty, but was told by the Acura rep this was a one time deal and done under Acura's 'Good Faith'. If my transmission fails again I guess I am SOL (or better have some serious proof it was mechanical and a defect).

I've deduced a couple of things from this;

A) If you plan on going to the 1/4 mile to test out that 1/4 time be prepared should your transmission fail to not have it covered under warranty. Appparently that traction additive (can't remmember the damned name of it) is some sticky shit and no matter how hard you wash the car chances are you will have residue left over that they can use to prove that the warranty is now Null and Void.

B) These transmissions were not built to take much more than 'Regular driving', I was thinking about a SC but now I don't think so. I'm thinking it will eat the tranny alive and spit out the leftovers and eat that for breakfast. The transmission is definetly going to need a 'Bullet Proofing' to handle th type of Torque that we're wanting out of the SC.

Oh well I guess I was the one that god decided to choose as a 'Martyr' for the cause

I got a new tranny out of it, and I think they are sending my old one to get broken down and overhauled to see why it failed.

</font>

So I guess this means if I start having problems with my tranny I should take it to another dealer? Thats bullshit that I can't take my car to the drag strip. So does this mean if I have my tranny fail I get at least one free one?

------------------
Mustang Killa
Old 06-01-2001, 04:26 AM
Cruisin'

JSuppi - which dealer was it?
Old 06-01-2001, 04:44 AM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kuroi:
JSuppi - which dealer was it?</font>
Acura Southwest which is now Sterling McCall Acura.

------------------
Mustang Killa
Old 06-01-2001, 10:57 AM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WebToker:

So I guess this means if I start having problems with my tranny I should take it to another dealer? Thats bullshit that I can't take my car to the drag strip. So does this mean if I have my tranny fail I get at least one free one?

</font>
Calvin,
Sorry I missed you on IM, I don't know if taking it to another dealership will help out. Seems that the Acura rep that told me this is responsible for all the dealerships in a tri-state.

Since you don't have that many miles on your ride you might be able to cut it off before any serious damage is done (if the 1/4 is what caused my failure to begin with). To be on the safe side i'd probably avoid going back out there, and if you decide that keep on going; make DAMN sure you clean your wheel wells of any traction additive deposits, or rubber residue before you take the car in.

I'm thinking that power braking eventually led to the failure so my best advice for anyone and everyone in here is to 'NOT DO IT'.

Just my .02$ and wanted to let my fellow CLer's now of what my experience has been, and to hopefully not put anyone else in the same predicament (it was a downright bitch) that I had to endure.

I'm starting to think the dealership service was not all that bad, but considering the fact that they are going through a transitional time from loosing one of their more prominent service reps. I don't know only the future will tell.

-Johnny

------------------
01'
Black/Ebony CLS
Old 06-01-2001, 11:01 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
A racetrack is a legal establishment where you can race your car. Acura has no say where and how you can drive your car. Bottom line you should be able to track that car whenever you feel like it. BULLSHIT!

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
CompTech Exhaust
Xephyr Cold Air Intake
Really Cool Mesh Grill
Custom BASS by <A HREF="http://www.streeteffectz.com

01'Acura" TARGET=_blank>www.streeteffectz.com

01'Acura</A> Integra GSR
Old 06-01-2001, 12:38 PM
Rod
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by eclipse23:
A racetrack is a legal establishment where you can race your car. Acura has no say where and how you can drive your car. Bottom line you should be able to track that car whenever you feel like it. BULLSHIT!

</font>
Exactly, they're full of shit. And they give that one time and for you only BS to everyone.
Old 06-01-2001, 02:03 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Wayne and Jen's know when NOT to get involved in these conversations !
HEHE

------------------
"We're spoiled rotten"
Waiting for 6 speed manual CLS !
2001 CL Type S Black/Ebony w/NAVI, PIAA bulbs, Tinted windows, JL Sub-woofer/Fosgate 250 watt amp, Comptech Sway Bars,Kyocera Smartphone/Palm powered otherwise pure stock
1998 Accord Coupe EX-V6
Black Currant Pearl, PIAA bulbs, tinted windows, Fosgate 500 watt amp, Eclipes 6X9's,JL Sub-woofer, otherwise PURE stock !
Old 06-01-2001, 02:19 PM
Banned

Insurance doesn't pay for an accident in racing... So why should Acura's warranty? It was not designed to race. Therefore its not covered under warranty. Makes perfect sense to me.

------------------
Red 3.2 CL-S.
"Life is too short not to be Italian." -Paul Sorvino
"How do you expect your date to turn over if your engine doesn't?" -Original
Proud member of "I didn't hit the curb like a dope and scratch my rims" club.
Old 06-01-2001, 02:28 PM
Moderator Alumnus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Scorpius:
Insurance doesn't pay for an accident in racing... So why should Acura's warranty? It was not designed to race. Therefore its not covered under warranty. Makes perfect sense to me.

</font>
Scorpius you amaze me once again with your AWESOME insight.

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
CompTech Exhaust
Xephyr Cold Air Intake
Really Cool Mesh Grill

01'Acura</A> Integra GSR
Old 06-01-2001, 02:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Scorpius you amaze me once again with your AWESOME insight.

</font>
Let me further add:
What is the fucking difference between me going WOT on a road then on a track? If the engine and tranny can't handle the stress then it simply should be designed not to allow it. Just for your info our tranny's our supposively reinforced. Now tell me again why I should not be able to floor it in my car without thinking of warranties?

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
CompTech Exhaust
Xephyr Cold Air Intake
Really Cool Mesh Grill

01'Acura</A> Integra GSR
Old 06-01-2001, 03:43 PM
Advanced

Yeah, Eclipse man, you're right. I drove my CL off of a cliff, and those bastards said warranty wouldn't cover it WTF!!!
Warranty only covers things damaged during reasonable use, and apparently, Acura doesn't think driving your car like a Formula 1 racer is reasonable.
Go figure.
Old 06-01-2001, 03:48 PM
Moderator Alumnus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by crrink:
Yeah, Eclipse man, you're right. I drove my CL off of a cliff, and those bastards said warranty wouldn't cover it WTF!!!
Warranty only covers things damaged during reasonable use, and apparently, Acura doesn't think driving your car like a Formula 1 racer is reasonable.
Go figure.
</font>
Don't you think your taking it to the extreme? Did I say I was modding the shit out of it or driving it off road? NO. Does anyone on this forum see my point of view? If I want to push my car why can't I comfortably? Then WHY THE FUCK did I buy a sporty version of my car?

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
CompTech Exhaust
Xephyr Cold Air Intake
Really Cool Mesh Grill

01'Acura</A> Integra GSR
Old 06-01-2001, 03:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Don't you think your taking it to the extreme? Did I say I was modding the shit out of it or driving it off road? NO. Does anyone on this forum see my point of view? If I want to push my car why can't I comfortably? Then WHY THE FUCK did I buy a sporty version of my car?

</font>
I agree with you, but needless to say i'm not going to bitch considering they didn't make me buy another 3k-4k transmission.

------------------
01'
Black/Ebony CLS
Old 06-01-2001, 04:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

I agree with you, but needless to say i'm not going to bitch considering they didn't make me buy another 3k-4k transmission.

</font>
Follow up with them to see what the cause was...

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS
Muds, Spoiler, Hardwire 8500, Polarg M-6 lamps, K&N filter #33-2178,
Comptech Headers, Sways, mufflers
Planning: SSR 17X7.5 GT1 Wheels, Brembo Brakes.
Old 06-01-2001, 04:12 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 976 Likes on 330 Posts
they told me the same exact thing when they replaced my tranny
Old 06-01-2001, 04:17 PM
Drifting

</font>
How does the new tranny feel? Does it still hesitate to shift into 3rd with the SS? Did they give you any instructions on how to break it in.

------------------
Mustang Killa
Old 06-01-2001, 05:21 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok... (crouching down, looking fervently side to side)- yes our cars are performance vehicles. They are built for performance driving. Can you race them? Sure. Will Acura warranty what you break by racing? Maybe- as we have seen- it depends on the rep. I will say this- if you take the time to read the entire warranty, you will see a disclaimer saying something to the effect about not being in effect if the vehicle is used for racing. That doesn't mean mods in my opinion, that means going to the track and having at it. Should our cars be able to stand it- sure- up to a point. That point is the grey area. Its great that the rep in the above case choose to repair the vehicle even though there was evidence of racing. Was he required to, no. This does not seem to be the norm for all the Manufacturers. Acura, caring as they do for their customers, seems to be willing to at least help. Bottom line- do what you want- do it responsibly, and be prepared for what may occur.

-end rant-

------------------
Wayne Gruen
Service Manager
Park Ave Acura
*** The opinons expressed above are my own and I in no way speak for American Honda or Acura. ***

2002 TL-S Black on Black
Factory Body Kit, Factory Spoiler, Comptech Springs, Comptech Sways, Comptech Headers, Comptech Exhaust, Xephyr CAI
Tuning by Jens
Old 06-01-2001, 05:24 PM
Moderator Alumnus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wayneg:
Ok... (crouching down, looking fervently side to side)- yes our cars are performance vehicles. They are built for performance driving. Can you race them? Sure. Will Acura warranty what you break by racing? Maybe- as we have seen- it depends on the rep. I will say this- if you take the time to read the entire warranty, you will see a disclaimer saying something to the effect about not being in effect if the vehicle is used for racing. That doesn't mean mods in my opinion, that means going to the track and having at it. Should our cars be able to stand it- sure- up to a point. That point is the grey area. Its great that the rep in the above case choose to repair the vehicle even though there was evidence of racing. Was he required to, no. This does not seem to be the norm for all the Manufacturers. Acura, caring as they do for their customers, seems to be willing to at least help. Bottom line- do what you want- do it responsibly, and be prepared for what may occur.

-end rant-

</font>
Hey buddy you home or at work?

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
CompTech Exhaust
Xephyr Cold Air Intake
Really Cool Mesh Grill

01'Acura</A> Integra GSR
Old 06-01-2001, 05:25 PM
Drifting

I guess its tru what they say. You never win with racing. I think I picked a wrong hobby =)

Spiro

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
Random Technology Cat
RED AEM CAI
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 06-01-2001, 05:40 PM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wayneg:

-end rant-
</font>
Wayne,
I appreciate you chiming in like that You've got gusto man, and I wish more and more wanting to have you and your folks service my vehicle. Like i've said before this car was not made to be raced, it's not a race car (I'm going to get falmed for that one).

I've heard a saying, and I am pretty sure many of you have. It goes something like this; You should race your race car, and not your everyday car (I know I butchered that but what the hell). I've heard stories of BMW not warrantying (sp??) M3's and M5's just because of that. They weren't meant to be raced (yeah like whatever, look at these things and they don't expect them to be raced).

------------------
01'
Black/Ebony CLS
Old 06-01-2001, 05:42 PM
Banned

They can only imply the disclaimer if you tell them that it's been on the track.
Wayne,
I appreciate you chiming in like that You've got gusto man, and I wish more and more wanting to have you and your folks service my vehicle. Like i've said before this car was not made to be raced, it's not a race car (I'm going to get falmed for that one).

I've heard a saying, and I am pretty sure many of you have. It goes something like this; You should race your race car, and not your everyday car (I know I butchered that but what the hell). I've heard stories of BMW not warrantying (sp??) M3's and M5's just because of that. They weren't meant to be raced (yeah like whatever, look at these things and they don't expect them to be raced).

</font>

------------------
2001 Cl-S Black on Black with Navigation
Black Tint all around (15%~45%)
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers (hehehe...I got something for you drchang!!)
14.698 @95.977mph....Sears Point Raceway.I think I need a Level 10 Torque Converter!!
Yes, I know I'm going to hell for wasting gas on Civics....
Old 06-01-2001, 05:43 PM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WebToker:
How does the new tranny feel? Does it still hesitate to shift into 3rd with the SS? Did they give you any instructions on how to break it in.
</font>
Calvin,
What are you nuts??? Geeze I haven't taken my car over 50 mph since i've gotten it back (a little exageration, but you know what I mean). They didn't tell me anything about breaking it in (terrible choice of words by the way ). Needless to say i'm going to be taking it easy on it for awhile (unless Wayne, or someone else can tell me otherwise).

------------------
01'
Black/Ebony CLS