First test drive of a 04 Acura TL 6spd by me

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 06:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First test drive of a 04 Acura TL 6spd by me

Well, I have many cars I can compare it too, but the closest one would be my 2002 CL-S.

Cosmetic Exterior:

When I walked up to the car, I was amazed how the car looked. It has a agreesive look. From the sides and the back it has a BMW look to it. The front is typical Acura but it looks great. Compared to my CL-S, this car is a drivers car definitely.

Cosmetic Interior:

Sat in the car. First thing I noticed as the seats are comfortable but not as supportive as my CL-S was. I think this could be a good thing because they aren't so stiff. Good power adjustments to meet anyones seating requirements. The dash layout, buttons, stereo, and gauges were all layed out very well and easy to read. Interior space is a definite plus on this car. The trunk still has plenty of room for stuff.

Stereo: One of the best factory stereos I have heard. I tried XM as well and it came in very clear.

Manual Tranny:

The 6spd gear box is very smooth, and not long throws. It was precise. It wasn't hard to mis-shift if you wanted too. The clutch was toucy, but very smooth engaging. Much better than Nissans.

Engine/Power:

This car has some major power that wanted to be unleashed. I had to do it. I didn't abuse it though I only took it up to redline in one gear to see how well it pulled. It only had 70~ miles. 1st gear was crazy. Even with VSA on, it still managed to brake the tires loose instantly when I stabbed the gas from a 5mph roll. I hate to see it wtih VSA off. 2nd gear and 3rd gear pull especially on the highway. It will actually throw you back in the seat getting on it. I am really impressed. This car seems to have more punch than my CL-S did with headers. My CL-S ran 14.42 at 99.8 mph, so this gives you a idea where I am coming from with this. Cruising on the highway in 6th gear at around 70 mph with the rpms floating around 2200~, the car didn't have alot of power to increase the speed, but it had enough to do what it was needed. Not enough for passing. 3rd gear passing I tested was extremly fast and powerful. Even 4th and 5th are good.

Ride/Handling:

The car handles better than my CL-S ever did. My 03 1.8t A4 with sport package handles almost identical as the new TL does. The car has a smooth ride, a little bit of wind noise (could be due to the strong winds we have today). Tire noise was noticeable, but not loud. Vibration I did feel slightly, nothing annoying though. It is defintely a highway cruiser.

Brakes:

WOW! I have never driven a car except the G35 Coupe that had such touchy brakes. I almost threw both the salesmen and me through the windshield a few times. My Pathfinder brakes take much more to slow down, but not so with the TL. Barely hit it, bam I am slowed down.

Comparing it to my A4, CL-S and a G35 I have driven, this car is definitely worth the money over them. I wouldn't even think twice.

Conclusion:

For the buck, and what you get. This car is it. It might be FWD, but who would buy a car likes this to race? Go get a MUSTANG or something else to abuse, not this car. IF you drive around 100 miles a day and spend most of your time in the car, you really want something to keep you happy. This car will do it.

I can say now that after owning my Pathfinder 6 months, and needed a way to pull my Jetski, its definite going to be traded in on a TL by the end of 2004. I plan to purchase a 2005 TL after the bugs are fixed if they are any. I hope and some of you might cry, but I plan to get a baby hitch for it so I can pull my Honda AquaTrax Turbo jetski behind it. That will be a sight!

The one I drove was $32k the dealer was asking. Not sure if thats good or not for the package it had. It did not have NAV, but when I order one it will. So no review of that at this moment.

Okay, any comments?
Old 01-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Banned

Picture of the one I drove from my cell phone.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:05 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Needs AWD.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
good review of a great car.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by 1killercls
Needs AWD.
yeah, that would be great for you down in FLA.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:10 PM
Banned

Originally posted by mattg
yeah, that would be great for you down in FLA.
I agree. No need for it. I had AWD on my Audi, and only needed it when the weather got bad one day here in Texas where there was ICE on the bridges. LOL. But did I really need it no. FWD with LSD is just fine for me.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:13 PM
GEEZER

Well they happen to sell this car in States other than Florida.

And during the summer here we have TORRENTIAL DOWNPOURS just about every day, AWD would be a BLESSING on these roads.

Not to mention the Handling Improvements
Old 01-06-2004, 06:16 PM
Banned

my only gripe is the $$$ why the increase is MSRP when engine and tranny are revisions of the previous.

I like the car tho
Old 01-06-2004, 06:19 PM
Senior Moderator

you are right killer. awd is awesome in the wet. and for launching at the track.

but a front fwd '04 TL is a verycapable all around car.

as for handling improvements. a lot of people say rwd > awd.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Not to mention the Handling Improvements
Again, what for in the Sunshine state. The roads around you are flat and straight.

Seriously though, many AWD system, while they improve grip, don't necessarily improve handling.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:24 PM
Senior Moderator

AWD = extra weight
Old 01-06-2004, 06:29 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,003 Likes on 2,661 Posts
Originally posted by lou
my only gripe is the $$$ why the increase is MSRP when engine and tranny are revisions of the previous.

I like the car tho
Most likely cause the invoice cost to the dealerships increased as well.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:30 PM
-S namyaC-

The spoiler on that car makes the rear end look soooo much better IMO.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by sarlacc23
Most likely cause the invoice cost to the dealerships increased as well.
i'd say that's because the new tl has been completely redesigned and is a superior vehicle than the previous generation tl/cl.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:39 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,003 Likes on 2,661 Posts
i'd say that's because the new tl has been completely redesigned and is a superior vehicle than the previous generation tl/cl.
that too
Old 01-06-2004, 06:43 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great review for a great car.

Silver what german car are you driving now?
Old 01-06-2004, 06:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The TL is definateley a better car than the current CL-S/TL-S. I drove a 6-speeder as well.

While I don't necessarily think the car is that quick... it certainly excels in every other department. It is on-par with a stock CL-S 6spd - probably NOT going to hit 100mph in the 1/4-mile stock!

However... I think this car should not be drag-raced. Tune the car for power and handling... but leave it at that!

Oh yeah... the tranny/clutch/pressure-plate is the same
Old 01-06-2004, 06:48 PM
Senior Moderator

i think he needs to change his user text. he owns a new pathfinder.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:57 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
the new tl is de shiznit....but not yet, only when the 05 model comes out since iot seems the 04 has quite some bugs

btw, the residuals on the new tl are sick!
Old 01-06-2004, 11:08 PM
Instructor

Re: First test drive of a 04 Acura TL 6spd by me

Originally posted by SilverBullet
Well, I have many cars I can compare it too, but the closest one would be my 2002 CL-S.

Cosmetic Exterior:

When I walked up to the car, I was amazed how the car looked. It has a agreesive look. From the sides and the back it has a BMW look to it. The front is typical Acura but it looks great. Compared to my CL-S, this car is a drivers car definitely.

Cosmetic Interior:

Sat in the car. First thing I noticed as the seats are comfortable but not as supportive as my CL-S was. I think this could be a good thing because they aren't so stiff. Good power adjustments to meet anyones seating requirements. The dash layout, buttons, stereo, and gauges were all layed out very well and easy to read. Interior space is a definite plus on this car. The trunk still has plenty of room for stuff.

Stereo: One of the best factory stereos I have heard. I tried XM as well and it came in very clear.

Manual Tranny:

The 6spd gear box is very smooth, and not long throws. It was precise. It wasn't hard to mis-shift if you wanted too. The clutch was toucy, but very smooth engaging. Much better than Nissans.

Engine/Power:

This car has some major power that wanted to be unleashed. I had to do it. I didn't abuse it though I only took it up to redline in one gear to see how well it pulled. It only had 70~ miles. 1st gear was crazy. Even with VSA on, it still managed to brake the tires loose instantly when I stabbed the gas from a 5mph roll. I hate to see it wtih VSA off. 2nd gear and 3rd gear pull especially on the highway. It will actually throw you back in the seat getting on it. I am really impressed. This car seems to have more punch than my CL-S did with headers. My CL-S ran 14.42 at 99.8 mph, so this gives you a idea where I am coming from with this. Cruising on the highway in 6th gear at around 70 mph with the rpms floating around 2200~, the car didn't have alot of power to increase the speed, but it had enough to do what it was needed. Not enough for passing. 3rd gear passing I tested was extremly fast and powerful. Even 4th and 5th are good.

Ride/Handling:

The car handles better than my CL-S ever did. My 03 1.8t A4 with sport package handles almost identical as the new TL does. The car has a smooth ride, a little bit of wind noise (could be due to the strong winds we have today). Tire noise was noticeable, but not loud. Vibration I did feel slightly, nothing annoying though. It is defintely a highway cruiser.

Brakes:

WOW! I have never driven a car except the G35 Coupe that had such touchy brakes. I almost threw both the salesmen and me through the windshield a few times. My Pathfinder brakes take much more to slow down, but not so with the TL. Barely hit it, bam I am slowed down.

Comparing it to my A4, CL-S and a G35 I have driven, this car is definitely worth the money over them. I wouldn't even think twice.

Conclusion:

For the buck, and what you get. This car is it. It might be FWD, but who would buy a car likes this to race? Go get a MUSTANG or something else to abuse, not this car. IF you drive around 100 miles a day and spend most of your time in the car, you really want something to keep you happy. This car will do it.

I can say now that after owning my Pathfinder 6 months, and needed a way to pull my Jetski, its definite going to be traded in on a TL by the end of 2004. I plan to purchase a 2005 TL after the bugs are fixed if they are any. I hope and some of you might cry, but I plan to get a baby hitch for it so I can pull my Honda AquaTrax Turbo jetski behind it. That will be a sight!

The one I drove was $32k the dealer was asking. Not sure if thats good or not for the package it had. It did not have NAV, but when I order one it will. So no review of that at this moment.

Okay, any comments?

don't even worry about pulling with a new tl-6spd.
i pull an 02' sea-doo sportster LT, (14.5ft twin engine jet boat) 1600lbs. with my 03' cl-s 6spd. it doesn't even phase the cl when i pull the boat out of the water. pulls extremely well. i've been trying to post a pic of the boat/car but it doesn't seem to work.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:11 PM
Instructor

anyone know how to pull a pic from "my documents" to post.
i hit browse and pull up the pic to attach it but it sends me back to "detect network settings"
Old 01-06-2004, 11:27 PM
THE SILVER BULLET

nice
Old 01-07-2004, 12:13 AM
///M POWER

most people whop drive 6 speeds say they FEEl faster than modded autos but in actuality they are not, its just what u feel

and as far as awd, i rather have rwd, cause awd is only good for the luanch but slows down your trap and high end power
Old 01-07-2004, 12:24 AM
Instructor

Re: Re: First test drive of a 04 Acura TL 6spd by me

Originally posted by EVANCRUZ
don't even worry about pulling with a new tl-6spd.
i pull an 02' sea-doo sportster LT, (14.5ft twin engine jet boat) 1600lbs. with my 03' cl-s 6spd. it doesn't even phase the cl when i pull the boat out of the water. pulls extremely well. i've been trying to post a pic of the boat/car but it doesn't seem to work.

ok lets see if this link works
this pic was taken before tires and springs
http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/LinkP...5ad73798&size=
Old 01-07-2004, 12:26 AM
Instructor

looks like i got it to work
Old 01-07-2004, 06:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by darrinb
most people whop drive 6 speeds say they FEEl faster than modded autos but in actuality they are not, its just what u feel
No, the shorter gearing and lighter weight make a difference.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:48 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: First test drive of a 04 Acura TL 6spd by me

Originally posted by EVANCRUZ
ok lets see if this link works
this pic was taken before tires and springs
http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/LinkP...5ad73798&size=
Very nice. Just hope a hitch is made for it eventually.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:50 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i think he needs to change his user text. he owns a new pathfinder.
Yeah thats what i thought.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:08 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Nice review.

But here's a comment/thought.

We ALL know Honda/Acura makes some of the best motors around. # of hp per liter is amazing.

BUT... Can they continue to up the ante in horsepower to keep pace with the others and still remain FWD? Every single review I've read has mentioned the gobs of torque steer the car has. Pretty soon, 300hp in a sedan will be no big deal. But putting that much power down to the front wheels seems a little, well... silly, no?

I dunno... Just babbling.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:34 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
For major mechanicals the 04 TL 6 speed is not very different than my 03 CLS 6 speed. It may be smoother acceleration tho. The TL interior is nice, stereo is better, XM, and some new gadgets but otherwise I wouldn't trade my 6 speed CLS for the 6 speed TL for those reasons, only if I wanted a 4 door, and I don't. If there comes a new coupe then that is another matter.

I agree the brakes on the TL were too touchy, there is very little room for gradually applying brakes. I hoped that as they wear they will moderate some. It's a very nice car and should sell well, but honestly I have seen very, very few on the roads here. The dealer did have one in for repair that corporate was wanting to examine. Something concerning the car losing power or dying, I can't remember exactly. No one at the dealer could touch it til the bigshots could check it out.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:58 PM
hail to the victors

good review, but i still think new TL is a big disappointment. no AWD and ugly rear.
Old 01-07-2004, 01:14 PM
GEEZER

Originally posted by Scrib
Nice review.

But here's a comment/thought.

We ALL know Honda/Acura makes some of the best motors around. # of hp per liter is amazing.

BUT... Can they continue to up the ante in horsepower to keep pace with the others and still remain FWD? Every single review I've read has mentioned the gobs of torque steer the car has. Pretty soon, 300hp in a sedan will be no big deal. But putting that much power down to the front wheels seems a little, well... silly, no?

I dunno... Just babbling.
Here is a SHOCKER!!! I AGREE 100% Scrib!
Old 01-07-2004, 06:40 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: Re: Re: First test drive of a 04 Acura TL 6spd by me

Originally posted by SilverBullet
Very nice. Just hope a hitch is made for it eventually.

silverbullit,

give u-haul a couple months they will have one
Old 01-07-2004, 07:10 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Here is a SHOCKER!!! I AGREE 100% Scrib!

Old 01-07-2004, 11:00 PM
///M POWER

scrib, to get the real definition of torque steer go drive a fwd cadillac dts or sts, when i go WOT in my moms i cant keep the wheel straight
Old 01-07-2004, 11:03 PM
///M POWER

Originally posted by scalbert
No, the shorter gearing and lighter weight make a difference.
true

but i think 8/10 times a modded auto(i/h) will take a stock six speed in a straight line race
Old 01-08-2004, 06:19 AM
Suzuka Master

but i think 8/10 times a modded auto(i/h) will take a stock six speed in a straight line race
Only due to the launch. Look at the specifics; a stock 6-Speed will put down between 215 - 220 WHP. Most standard modded 5AT CL-S will make in the 225 WHP range. That 5 - 10 WHP deficit is offset by the weight difference. Now consider the more aggressive gearing in the 6-Speed and based on the numbers it should edge out the 5AT. Edge out should be stressed as it would be minimal.

Now, this is assuming equal launches which is harder to achieve in the 6-Speed. From a 20MPH roll starting in 1st would be a better indicator eliminating the launch.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:51 AM
///M POWER

Only due to the launch. Look at the specifics; a stock 6-Speed will put down between 215 - 220 WHP. Most standard modded 5AT CL-S will make in the 225 WHP range. That 5 - 10 WHP deficit is offset by the weight difference. Now consider the more aggressive gearing in the 6-Speed and based on the numbers it should edge out the 5AT. Edge out should be stressed as it would be minimal.

Now, this is assuming equal launches which is harder to achieve in the 6-Speed. From a 20MPH roll starting in 1st would be a better indicator eliminating the launch.
a auto w/ i/h should be puttin down over 230, but i have raced a stock 6 speeed several times at the track, they are a lot harder to launch but i was traping 1-2 mph higher than him, def is a drivers race i'd say, but due to the difficulty of launching the 6 speed like i said the auto will win 8/10 times
Old 01-08-2004, 06:55 AM
Suzuka Master

a auto w/ i/h should be puttin down over 230
No, very few have. Most, and this goes back nearly 3.5 years ago when the headers and intakes became available, dyno's of the 5AT with intake and headers fall into the 220 - 225 range.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:09 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Now consider the more aggressive gearing in the 6-Speed and based on the numbers it should edge out the 5AT.
True, but look at the final drive on the AT....much more conducive for drag racing no??

AT MT
2.5 3.9
1.5 2.4
1.0 1.7

4.4 3.2

Quick Reply: First test drive of a 04 Acura TL 6spd by me