Finally, Headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2001 | 12:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Finally, Headers

After many long self debates about no longer modding new car I started with the AEM intake and now Comptech Headers???

Oh well, a car only last forever now-a-days.

Any thanks to mike's posts and influencing emails I had ordered the Headers last week, Thursday actually. Well to my surprise the dealer called (got them locally due to the dealer giving me a good deal, I intended on giving the business to Tim!) and they are already in?? From CA to Atlanta in that size of box. Guess the shipping insurance set this in motion quicker (use to ship $20K laser micrometers standard but with insurance, it was more cost effective for UPS to ship it overnight than to suffer risk).

Anyway, what a time. I got the message when about to leave out of town for a couple of days on a system start-up, up to Calsonic in Shelbyville, TN (should be fun burning up catalytic converters just to test them...).

I had planned on ordering extra gaskets and bolts for the job, but now that I will be gone I'll call them from the road. So now I plan on picking them (the headers and the gaskets/bolts) on Friday and doing the install on Saturday. Time for an oil change anyway while the car is up.

I'll have a digital camera to document the areas not explained in the Helms manual (with I'm sure will be most). There will be no recording or video tape due to possible expletives...

Again, Thanks Mike for making my decisions to come forth and make my wife so happy, JK…
Old 01-24-2001 | 01:14 AM
Community Architect
robb m.

Thanks Steve for suggesting some excellent archive/faq info, I'll look forward to your pics of the install when you do it

you won't regret having gotten them, of that I'm sure

------------------
Astroboy out...
2001 Acura CL Type S: Comptech: Headers, filter, sways, springs, koni shocks, goodridge braided brake lines, full kicker system
1996 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo: H&R Springs and sways, Bilstein shocks
Old 01-24-2001 | 02:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Wow, I almost got a tear in my eye!

Of course you'll probably be taking my name in vain after you scuff up your knuckles!

Do you have to chip the bimmer now?

ps: What the heck is that avatar?

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Comptech Headers
Comptech Springs
Muds
Wheel locks
35% Llumar metallic tint
Best 0-60. 6.08 Gtech Pro (Preheaders)

My Car
Old 01-24-2001 | 02:50 AM
The Creator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike:
ps: What the heck is that avatar?
</font>
lol, I e-mailed him the same question
Old 01-24-2001 | 02:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Either it's something his kid made or it's a pic of a 2 faced person with the middle scratched out.
I'm worried about you Steve!

------------------
Comptech Headers
Comptech Springs
Muds
Wheel locks
35% Llumar metallic tint

My Car
Old 01-24-2001 | 02:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Adam, come to think of it we could ask you the same thing!
Are you Soopa the dog faced boy???
We now return you to the original topic of this thread.

------------------
Comptech Headers
Comptech Springs
Muds
Wheel locks
35% Llumar metallic tint

My Car

[This message has been edited by Mike (edited 01-24-2001).]
Old 01-24-2001 | 03:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Hmmm... What was that about the wife?

Are we getting an archive/faq with pictures, faqs, etc.

Should be very interesting.

Good luck Steve!

Old 01-24-2001 | 04:03 AM
Racer

guys... that avatar is the CD cover for Tool's album "Anema". Fuuny, I always pictured scalbert as an older fella in a smoking jacket and slippers!

------------------
CoMpTeCh HeAdErS
eIbAcH sPrInGs
Old 01-24-2001 | 11:01 AM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EricL:
Hmmm... What was that about the wife?
</font>
I guess that didn't come out right, heheh...
Old 01-24-2001 | 11:12 AM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SJ Silver Type-S:
guys... that avatar is the CD cover for Tool's album "Anema". Fuuny, I always pictured scalbert as an older fella in a smoking jacket and slippers!

</font>
Thanks for pointing that out, but Geezz, smoking jacket?? The slippers, maybe....

It's Aenima anyway, I've been listening to Tool since the release of Undertow, since my early 20's which puts me at 30 now.

I think I fit the demographics reasonably for Tool fans. BTW, their DVD is incredible with every video and a CD with live performances...

I am finding harder as I get older to justify listening to some of the harder music. Not that I will ever quit, it is just that most other people in my age group aren't listening to this type of music, and I hate Pop!!!

http://www.toolband.com

[This message has been edited by scalbert (edited 01-24-2001).]
Old 01-24-2001 | 11:32 AM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by soopa:
lol, I e-mailed him the same question</font>
Thats ATOM

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers soon now that I have a JOB again. hehe

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load.
Old 01-24-2001 | 11:45 AM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by scalbert:
After many long self debates about no longer modding new car I started with the AEM intake and now Comptech Headers???

Oh well, a car only last forever now-a-days.

Any thanks to mike's posts and influencing emails I had ordered the Headers last week, Thursday actually. Well to my surprise the dealer called (got them locally due to the dealer giving me a good deal, I intended on giving the business to Tim!) and they are already in?? From CA to Atlanta in that size of box. Guess the shipping insurance set this in motion quicker (use to ship $20K laser micrometers standard but with insurance, it was more cost effective for UPS to ship it overnight than to suffer risk).

Anyway, what a time. I got the message when about to leave out of town for a couple of days on a system start-up, up to Calsonic in Shelbyville, TN (should be fun burning up catalytic converters just to test them...).

I had planned on ordering extra gaskets and bolts for the job, but now that I will be gone I'll call them from the road. So now I plan on picking them (the headers and the gaskets/bolts) on Friday and doing the install on Saturday. Time for an oil change anyway while the car is up.

I'll have a digital camera to document the areas not explained in the Helms manual (with I'm sure will be most). There will be no recording or video tape due to possible expletives...

Again, Thanks Mike for making my decisions to come forth and make my wife so happy, JK…
</font>
Scalbert,
Glad to finally see you back YOu got stuck with the 'Cool Newbie' sig like myslf (oh well time to rack up them post again). Do you know if they fixed the 'Low RPM' vibration' in the headers that you received?? You might want to verify and perform the fix before, than rather have to take them off later (even though it's only the J Pipe). Let us know how the results turn out.

I should be getting my sways in this Thursday (cross my fingers), and hopefully have them in Saturday Can't wait.

------------------
01'
Black/Ebony CLS
Old 01-24-2001 | 04:18 PM
7th Gear

<<Do you know if they fixed the 'Low RPM' vibration' in the headers that you received?? You might want to verify and perform the fix before, than rather have to take them off later (even though it's only the J Pipe>>

am i missing something here? are there problems & subsequent remedies for installing headers on a CL-S? is there any precautions i should be aware of? thanks for any & all info.
Old 01-24-2001 | 09:24 PM
Senior Moderator

The 1st and 2nd gen headers had a resonance problem. I bought mine from Tim @ autocarparts.com and haven't had any resonance problems. Comptech has fixed the problem.

------------------
Comptech Headers
Comptech Springs
Muds
Wheel locks
35% Llumar metallic tint

My Car